What we are working on - 2022

Anna Cicognani

Thanks Anna, nice update.  Just one Important point about your movies/Netflix analogy. You made it sound like just a timing reason for buying those add-ons. That would not be a good enough reason for me because I would be prepared to wait (finances etc). I buy them because I thought they would be significantly better quality than what comes out in a WU, especially since you then improve them further after the WU. Am I wrong?  Cheers, and thanks again.

Edited by flsm (Frank)
  • Like 2

Great work, I look forward to see what you guys make. Cairns (YBCS) and Townsville (YBTL) airports would be nice. I own both Brisbane and Sydney city sceneries so I look forward to seeing those work with the new photogrammetry of WU7. Again thanks for the great work.

• Like 2

A much appreciated update Anna :) Thank you for taking the time for such a detailed post, and I always look forward to what Orbx comes out with even if it ends up not being part of the original plan, so no worries from me. I look forward to what looks to be another great flight simming year from Orbx! 

Cheers

Landon

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Well said Anna - I eagerly await the Gold Coast Airport (it has been physicaly extended) and would hope that the old version of the Cityscape 

renewal might also be forthcoming as well at the same time.

Although not mentioned - I feel sure that you are determined to get Orbx more deeply into the X box market:D

Good news, and a pleasure to see how the road may go on. There are really some things I look forward too...

6 hours ago, Anna Cicognani said:

tricky as Eugene, the developer, is in the Ukraine and there have been disruptions there

Now that is an information bringing many of our "why does this not work, why is that delayed?" discussions back to the right priorities. All the best for Eugene and his country!

6 hours ago, Anna Cicognani said:

Hope you are all keeping safe and well. COVID has spread a bit through the Orbx team but overall we have been able to keep going OK.

And, to be honest, that is most important for all of us - beside the nice hobby we share.

• Like 7

great news, thanks for the update Anna, some very good things mentioned in your post and lots to look forward to....I agree with Gerolds notes above, yes there are many issues as to why something is delayed, I have seen this a lot during our testing at JF....I am also glad that you are going to be doing some things for Xplane too, hopefully this will carry over when XP12 is released....keep up the good work at Orbx in improving our virtual world, we are so lucky in the choices we have now and quality visuals of some sceneries we can buy...

• Like 2

Much appreciated update, thanks!

So much great stuff in the pipeline! Personally Arlanda, Oslo and GB North for MSFS are what I look most forward to! With that said, the US airport's, such as Boise and also Melbourne is definitely on the list!

..then I see some of those screenshots and realize I will get most of the airports!

Panama and GB North (I assume this is the same concept as the UK region central?) were mentioned, but are there plans to continue releasing more landmark packs going forward? 

• Like 1

Thanks you for the update Anna, 2022 seems to be shaping up to be a great year, with some great products, looking forward to YMML the most as I'm obsessed with Melbourne, but will pick up the rest as well...thank you for VTSP, I understand why most development is focused on NA, Europe and Oceania, but it's nice to see other area's get love.

Stay safe Eugene, I can't begin to imagine the situation in Ukraine currently,

Stay safe from COVID everyone, hopefully we're seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, but still have to be careful :) 

Edited by EasternT3
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Thank you for the update Anna but, did I miss where the long awaited Asia scenery development is for the the P3d Flight Simulator? 

I'm sure those P3d developers are disappointed they did not even get a mention in an Orbx release?

Seems to be all about the continuously, fault correcting, MS Scenery Simulator, or the Xbox Game, without multiscreen capability?

Imagine if Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Word had been released to business in the same state? There would have been an uproar from the users.

Instead, users put up with 60Gb 'development updates'.

I have to admit though, screen captures from the MSFS Simulator are great, but I think the package is a long way from being accepted as a true interfaceable Flight Simulator like the Lockheed Martin P3d.

My opinion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Aussie123 said:

Thank you for the update Anna but, did I miss where the long awaited Asia scenery development is for the the P3d Flight Simulator? 

I'm sure those P3d developers are disappointed they did not even get a mention in an Orbx release?

Seems to be all about the continuously, fault correcting, MS Scenery Simulator, or the Xbox Game, without multiscreen capability?

Imagine if Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Word had been released to business in the same state? There would have been an uproar from the users.

Instead, users put up with 60Gb 'development updates'.

I have to admit though, screen captures from the MSFS Simulator are great, but I think the package is a long way from being accepted as a true interfaceable Flight Simulator like the Lockheed Martin P3d.

My opinion.

Aussie, you did miss it

10 hours ago, Anna Cicognani said:

OpenLC Asia - tricky as Eugene, the developer, is in the Ukraine and there have been disruptions there, plus this is such a HUGE project and we don't have firm dates yet

Congrats Orbx on what looks like is going to be another solid year of excellent add-ons for flight sim!

It's a shame Western Australia isn't seeing anything on the horizon for either P3D and MSFS, especially with Perth, it's a city and airport (I know there are some out there but not to Orbx quality) that seems to have been neglected for so long in the flight sim landscape. From what I saw of Perth's development it was going to be an amazing package.

I hope @Jarrad Marshall is going well, such a shame that a man of his talents isn't currently around.

• Upvote 5

Thank you very much for this Anna.  I’ve noticed a substantial up gauge in quality from Orbx over the last 6 months.  It has been exciting to see, and I can’t wait to add all of these airports to my collection this year.  I’m particularly looking forward to Melbourne, Oslo, Stockholm, Boise, and Palm Beach.  Hell, I’ll probably get them all.  Keep up the good work, team!

- Rob

• Like 1

Glad to be a contributor to the Oslo project, and happy it's now official :D Can't wait for everyone to see it finished
I would love to see Norway (or Scandinavia/Nordics) get a better mesh addon. It's one of those places that just looks stunning IRL and would greatly benefit from it in the sim!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Being Scandinavian I am very much looking forward to Stockholm and Oslo. Outside Scandinavia I cannot wait for Phuket and Bolzano too! But all of it is great news Anna, thank you!

By the way, just to confirm:
"This was necessary as we look to use this as the basis for the X-Plane version of the airport and will be available at a discount for existing owners. After that, Matteo will begin work on YBCG Gold Cost as well as look to finalise LIPH Treviso."

YBCG is also coming for MSFS, right? Really looking forward to Gold Coast if its coming for MSFS too!

Oh and I forgot to add, since I fly helicopters in sim, it would be amazing if Orbx devs would add helipads to whichever airport sceneries you guys make. It's extremely appreciate, especially now since there is work being done by Asobo on getting helicopters in the sim! Just some feedback :)

Edited by futurebreadmachine
added helo part
  • Upvote 1

Middle Eastern airports please.

• Muscat International Airport
  • Salalah International Airport
  • Abu Dhabi International Airport
  • Sharjah International Airport
  • Bahrain International Airport
  • Hamad International Airport
  • Kuwait International Airport
  • King Khalid International Airport
  • King Abdulaziz International Airport

All missing quality versions in MSFS.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Anna Cicognani said:

Happy New Year - late, we know. But the Summer holidays in Australia are still a thing, even if the weather has been mostly inclement so far, but there is still time!

While everyone has had some small amounts of downtime, pondering life and the universe, the Orbx team has been reflecting on 2021, what we set to do and what we actually achieved. As you all know, lately we have been mega busy working with Microsoft on the release of the Australia World Update on Microsoft Flight Simulator and the Fokker. They have been labours of love over many many months, and we are really proud of the results (stay tuned re Fokker as we will be releasing an update with fixes and new functionality). We think the Australian update is the best (and certainly most extensive) so far - if we can say so ourselves!

As a bit of a summary... during 2021 we released 18 Airports (with our HQ in YMEN across 3 platforms), 10 Cities, 22 Indy airports, 3 regions, 1 traffic simulator, 3 missions (the Santa Run, the Halloween Run and the Brisbane River Run) and our first aircraft, the Edgley Optica. Of these releases, 47 were Microsoft Flight Sim products, 8 Prepar3D and 5 X-Plane.

The airport list, in case you need to complete the 2021 collection:

• LWSK - Skopje International Airport
  • EG41 - Fishburn Airfield
  • EGSG - Stapleford Airfield 
  • YBBN - Brisbane International Airport V2
  • LFKX - Meribel Airport 
  • KEYW - Key West International Airport
  • EGTR - Elstree Aerodrome
  • EGKA - Shoreham (Brighton) Airport
  • CYBD - Bella Coola Airport
  • LDSP - Split Airport
  • S45 - Siletz Bay State Airport
  • EGHI - Southampton Airport
  • EGPB - Sumburgh Airport
  • YBBN - Brisbane International Airport
  • 1WA6 - Fall City Airport
  • PAKT - Ketchikan International Airport
  • LDSP - Split Airport 
  • ...and as mentioned, YMEN Essendon Airport -  for P3D, MSFS and XP11

The cities have been VERY exciting products to make and see in action in MSFS: Paris, Singapore, Brisbane (also for P3D), Adelaide, Frankfurt (then incorporated in the German update), Cape Town, Dubai, Mumbai, and Auckland.

Often we get asked about compatibility and inclusion when the MSFS world updates get done. Holger in particular works on the compatibility once the WUs are out. We don't get to see the final versions of photogrammetry from Microsoft (yes - not even for the AU Update) so we have to wait until those are released and then make modifications. As an aside, a number of people wonder why bother buying add-ons when MS will then incorporate similar changes in an update. My answer here is simple: it's a bit like going to the movies vs Netflix / Prime.... if you want to watch a movie when it gets out (and talk about it at your next dinner party), you pay a ticket now, and then yes maybe it will come out on Netflix or whatever subscription you have, and you can watch it for free. Up to you if you want to be there first, or wait for later. Personal choice.  I paid $35 last week to watch the new Dune (awesome BTW), now I own it, and I am sure it will be included on Prime in 3-4 months, and I do not care. Again, personal choice.

Ok where were we...

Let's see what is in store (for the moment) in 2022.

• Prague for all sims, first one out will be MSFS (imminent!)
  • Landmarks Panama Canal is about to be finished too, with lots of exciting features
  • Updates to both our New Zealand mesh (the promised high-resolution LiDAR data) and Landmarks Auckland
  • More of our PC-based landmarks products to be adjusted for release on Xbox
  • OpenLC Asia - tricky as Eugene, the developer, is in the Ukraine and there have been disruptions there, plus this is such a HUGE project and we don't have firm dates yet
  • A swag of aircraft for MSFS - we will release the names and models as we get closer to getting them out, as it seems aircraft sometimes hit snags due to sim-based functionality
  • A very special project: YMML aka Tullamarine / Melbourne main airport, which will be led by Ed and Marcus, plus a Melbourne city pack with a number of POIs to make this city great again ;-)
  • For MSFS, KCRW Chuck Yeager, KFAT Fresno, KPBI Palm Beach (also for P3D), VTSP Phuket and KBOI Boise. For P3D and maybe a bit delayed - TrueEarth Eastern Alps. We are looking at making YBBN Brisbane for XPL too, and a special GB North Landmarks pack for MSFS.

Our Indies are also all busy with these new projects.

From Marcus Nyberg we have ESSA Stockholm Arlanda in heavy development. Marcus revisits his ESP classic and brining it to MSFS with all new modelling textures. You can check the progress at The (very cool) Arlanda Journal. https://www.facebook.com/The-Arlanda-Journal-109400158308529

Marcus 2.jpg

Marcus 1.jpg

Finn Hansen takes on another Norwegian airport and he has ENGM Oslo in his sights. We hope to see this towards the middle of this year with progress going well with this major hub.

Finn 1.jpg

Andreas Hegi takes a visit down to the gateway of the Dolomites with LIPB Bolzano Airport and he’s been bitten by the “interior terminal” bug. 

Andreas 2.jpg

Andreas 1.jpg

Another that has decided to try out the interior modelling fad is Rasha Tucakov as he looks to wrap up LYPG Podgorica as an addition to his Balkan Peninsula destinations.

Rasha 2.jpg

Rasha 1.jpg

After the successful LKSK Skiathos, Matteo Veneziani wasted no time in revisiting KBUR Burbank as he works on a new version for MSFS with reworked models and textures and new groundpoly. This was necessary as we look to use this as the basis for the X-Plane version of the airport and will be available at a discount for existing owners. After that, Matteo will begin work on YBCG Gold Cost as well as look to finalise LIPH Treviso.

Ken Hall is busy on working YMLT Launceston which will be a great addition to his home on the Apple Isle and he is in his element with some of the older buildings and bringing them to life, warts and all.

Ken 1.jpg

Ken 2.jpg

And over in New Zealand, Tim Harris is feeling rejuvenated with his work on NZNV Invercargill and really pushing the limits on where art meets reality.

Tim 1.jpg

Tim 2.jpg

Our MSFS mesh wizard, Dmytro Krikunov (if the name sounds familiar, it is because he is the son of Eugene our Global lead developer) is finalising the much awaited NZ Mesh update with 1m LiDAR in selected areas and his next region will be South America! That’s right, the whole continent.

Phew!

OK that is what we have got for the moment. I know many of you will have suggestions of what we should do next, and we are very happy to hear them (no guarantee though ;-) ).

Hope you are all keeping safe and well. COVID has spread a bit through the Orbx team but overall we have been able to keep going OK. Hope you are too!

Till next time....

Really exciting roadmap, Anna.

I've got a question out of interest. Last year, ya'll announced a Yokohama city landmarks pack. Is that still coming or canceled? 

Thanks! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Abriael said:

Really exciting roadmap, Anna.

I've got a question out of interest. Last year, ya'll announced a Yokohama city landmarks pack. Is that still coming or canceled? 

Thanks! 

It is still on our mind, but it is on ice for the moment.

We made a few city packs a bit "out of context," like Cape Town, Dubai and Mumbai, and despite being great executions, with lots of research done and great POIs, they do not seem to be very popular so it is a hard decision for us to keep doing loss-makers.
If we do too many of those, we won't be making anything any more soon ;-)

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, fahdriyami said:

Middle Eastern airports please.

• Muscat International Airport
  • Salalah International Airport
  • Abu Dhabi International Airport
  • Sharjah International Airport
  • Bahrain International Airport
  • Hamad International Airport
  • Kuwait International Airport
  • King Khalid International Airport
  • King Abdulaziz International Airport

All missing quality versions in MSFS.

This is a great set, and it'd be awesome to make them all also as a "cluster" region. Calling for developers who may be interested to do these in collaboration or as indies! :-)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

I believe Open LC Asia will be only for P3D

Yes, OLC Asia is only P3D.

And no - we have not abandoned P3D (even if a lot of other developers have! And BTW, Palm Beach is also in plan for P3D).

Similar to the reply to @Abriael, we have to be careful about the product picks because the market has now spread pretty wide with MSFS, and we see a lot of pilots have moved from P3D to MSFS. Loss-making products can be lethal for future development! 

32 minutes ago, Anna Cicognani said:

It is still on our mind, but it is on ice for the moment.

We made a few city packs a bit "out of context," like Cape Town, Dubai and Mumbai, and despite being great executions, with lots of research done and great POIs, they do not seem to be very popular so it is a hard decision for us to keep doing loss-makers.
If we do too many of those, we won't be making anything any more soon ;-)

Perhaps Yokohama might be more successful than Cape Town etc. as it's close to Tokyo which has excellent scenery and is much used, notably since the Japan World Update. VFR Pilots at least tend to upgrade regions to discover.

BTW, I bought all those you named and enjoy them much.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for your work. 

I still think there is a big opportunity to show the Caribbean some love with airports and perhaps some landscapes in MSFS

Barbados, St. Lucia, Trinidad, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, St Marteen, lots of fun trips from the US east cost, inter-island hopping or Long haul winter trips from Europe. 

Hope to see some work there soon. :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thank you for showing us the future.

We are always looking forward to Cairo, Honolulu and Yokohama mentioned in the 2021 roadmap.

Not mentioned this time, but are you still planning?

• Upvote 1

Hi Anna sounds like you guys are super busy, just wondering if there is any chance of fixing ypjt being that ms has destroyed. 
even if you ported the P3d version over as that is way better than what we have now which looks nothing like what it does irl. 
thanks for reading this and I like others will wait and see what unfolds. 

4 hours ago, DModjo said:

Is the YMML project mentioned targeting P3D and MSFS?

MSFS to start, but like we have done for YMEN, we would love to be able to do it for P3D and XP as well... we are trying to access airside to get imagery but with some Australian (and Victorian) COVID-related restrictions in place, it has been taking time.

• Like 1