What we are working on - 2022

Anna Cicognani

Thanks for sharing that insight with us, Anna. You guys are quite busy. Shows the industry is in a good shape with that much work and demand. Have to admit I was hoping to see TrueEarth Netherlands, France or Germany For X-Plane on the cards though. Especially TrueEarth Netherlands as it was announced back in '18 I believe. Been hopefull for a release ever since. I know there were issues with licensing the imagery of the neighboring countries back then.. Can't help but ask; Is TrueEarth NL for XP still on the cards for a future release? 

Edited by Garuda

Looking forward to a bunch of these - esp KPBI...  location of my first and only bird strike IRL :P

On the city scenery front - Honolulu was on the road map for last year - is that also shelved for the time being?

Unlike some of the other cities - Hawaii is getting pretty good airport coverage... and a decent developer has PHNL on their roadmap for... sometime ;)

Cheers - this product lineup is really solid...  ( Also missing some of Jarrad's airports coming into MSFS - some of my FSX/P3D favorites! )

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Anna Cicognani said:

It is still on our mind, but it is on ice for the moment.

We made a few city packs a bit "out of context," like Cape Town, Dubai and Mumbai, and despite being great executions, with lots of research done and great POIs, they do not seem to be very popular so it is a hard decision for us to keep doing loss-makers.
If we do too many of those, we won't be making anything any more soon ;-)

If you're willing to answer Anna, do you think these performed worse as they're in the lessor flown areas, or because there's not currently the addon airports in these areas?

• Like 2

Got on the wrong bus & missed this.

I think what pleased me most in the announcement were the words: 

"(stay tuned re Fokker as we will be releasing an update with fixes and new functionality)"

That Orbx has the inclination & ability to fine tune the Fokker bodes well for other aircraft they are contemplating.

Due to the variety & vagaries of flight simmers hardware & software configurations, I have yet to see an aircraft released in any Sim, that does not require, & benefit from, subsequent updates.

As to the multitude of planned airport releases, to cherry pick for the sake of brevity, Invercargill caught my eye.

With 3 runways, the longest being 7,257', it lends itself to a wide variety of aircraft & its location at the bottom of the South Island presents itself as a good jumping off place to tour rolling Southland farming country & Fiordland. The 2nd promo shot shows it will not be lacking in atmosphere.

Anything Tim & Ken touch turns out to be unique.

Launceston will be another to watch, & Scandinavia has always been a favorite destination.

But the deeper foray into aircraft has caught my attention.

I wonder if there is a DC-3 in there somewhere? :)

TTM

• Like 3

On 2/10/2022 at 1:16 AM, Anna Cicognani said:

his next region will be South America! That’s right, the whole continent.

Good to read. The Himalayas and Central Asia mesh is a superb product. Do the Andes as good as this one and you will have a bunch of happy campers in MSFS.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, FlyingFella said:

Two planned products for XP. Guess XP isn´t on your horizon any longer. Sad to see

they may just be waiting to see what comes with v12....

4 hours ago, EasternT3 said:

If you're willing to answer Anna, do you think these performed worse as they're in the lessor flown areas, or because there's not currently the addon airports in these areas?

yeah I agree with your thoughts, I have bought those areas but haven't really flown them much as there is nothing near that's been done or if there is it's not promoted much...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Dozer16 said:

Looking forward to KPBI hopefully sooner then later! Thank you! 

After two years I’m hoping it’ll be sooner than later but so long as it comes along I’ll be quite happy, I was just there less than a week ago wondering if Orbx would ever get around to it. 

43F968B8-E4F3-45CD-A95D-85946BF2DEBC.jpeg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, wain71 said:

yeah I agree with your thoughts, I have bought those areas but haven't really flown them much as there is nothing near that's been done or if there is it's not promoted much...

Yeah, the 3 anna mentioned are the 3 I haven't bought, but I will as soon as there's airports for those areas 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Anna Cicognani said:

We made a few city packs a bit "out of context," like Cape Town, Dubai and Mumbai, and despite being great executions, with lots of research done and great POIs, they do not seem to be very popular so it is a hard decision for us to keep doing loss-makers.

That's totally understandable. If it makes you feel better, someone's finally doing Mumbai, so that may accelerate sales there, since the city scenery is great and deserves to be explored. 

That being said, I wouldn't call Yokohama out of context. Its skyline is basically under many of the main departures and arrivals of Tokyo Haneda, which is one of the busiest airports in the country, and similarly to Singapore or Frankfurt, you fly there at very low altitude even on airliners. I'd say it's more "in context" than most other cities. :D

Haneda doesn't have third-party scenery but it's well-traveled because it's one of the hand-made airports in the sims and has a big freeware improvement package that brings it almost up there with payware level.

Chofu airport on the other side, may be smaller and general-aviation dedicated, but it does have payware scenery and you approach directly over Yokohama.

If you'd like more info lemme know (you know where to find me :D) and I'll provide. 

Edited by Abriael
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm really sorry to hear more landmarks packs are not on the way for MSFS. I really liked them. I also really liked the GB North region pack. I presume the planned Scotland and Canaries pack are also on hold. (I was particularly looking forward to the Canaries.) I do a lot of GA flying around the Canaries and the towns could do with a little Orbx magic! It seems unlikely that the Canaries will get photogrametary except perhaps Santa Cruz and La Palmas.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Bram Stikkel said:

I was wondering, if the two PNG addons are still on the list to be created for MSFS2020.
They used to be, but has that plan changed? 

Kind regards
Bram Stikkel

You missed the post topic by two blocks I would say :)

PMDG 737 is coming soon as per posts in PMDG site and MS's

Cheers

Carlos

Edited by carlosqr

21 hours ago, fahdriyami said:

Middle Eastern airports please.

• Muscat International Airport
  • Salalah International Airport
  • Abu Dhabi International Airport
  • Sharjah International Airport
  • Bahrain International Airport
  • Hamad International Airport
  • Kuwait International Airport
  • King Khalid International Airport
  • King Abdulaziz International Airport

All missing quality versions in MSFS.

Yes!!

I totally agree

Along with cityscenes  awe :wub:

Edited by carlosqr
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Abriael said:

Really exciting roadmap, Anna.

I've got a question out of interest. Last year, ya'll announced a Yokohama city landmarks pack. Is that still coming or canceled? 

Thanks! 

I have asked for that one plus these several times but was never replied

• Cairo, Egypt
  • Dublin, Ireland
  • Honolulu, Oahu, USA
  • Panama Canal and Panama City (retaken on 2022)
  • Yokohama, Japan
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Anna Cicognani said:

Oh what a sad text

How can these amazing cities specially Dubai didn't hit?

It's ubelievable they are simple great, Dubai above all.

Teach me to make them!

I'll do them free of charge, as a hobby, for Orbx to sell.

I don't depend on Orbx to survive, and learning to make them would be incredibly nice

I'm very focous on details and love quality if I get trained It would be a pleasure to make them so you don't use your resources to create them

If I knew how to make them I'll be on that daily after my job, instead of flying til 2 am

I really like creating and would be very enthusiast about this

7 hours ago, EasternT3 said:

NIce

I think DD made good moves by creating the city and the airport, like Chicago, Seattle, Miama etc

I thought that was a good try

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EasternT3 said:

Yeah, the 3 anna mentioned are the 3 I haven't bought, but I will as soon as there's airports for those areas 

Same - I held off on Auckland City, until Auckland airport was up on Marketplace.

Having a city scenery paired with a high quality nearby airport makes a big difference on the decision to buy. Even better if there are multiple airports within a relatively short flying range.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Why not go back to the roots and develop those small charming airport in the middle of nowhere that nobody heard off. Those where the things that brought me into Orbx in the past and what I feel is what made Orbx special and unique. Nowadays it seems its all about regional and international airports that gets the focus. Sure, you released ports of the old small ones but they are FSX quality(wich sucks) and nothing new seems to be developed.

Its making me sad, and im not sure where to go anymore to find such gems. And what happend to "people flow", something everyone else seems to be able to do, but not Orbx? 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, FBWFTW said:

After two years I’m hoping it’ll be sooner than later but so long as it comes along I’ll be quite happy, I was just there less than a week ago wondering if Orbx would ever get around to it. 

43F968B8-E4F3-45CD-A95D-85946BF2DEBC.jpeg

I really hope its better then there best! It’s my home airport! KFLL was a major disappointment for MSFS. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kaboki said:

Why not go back to the roots and develop those small charming airport in the middle of nowhere that nobody heard off.

Likely because they'd sell a lot less. 

I'm all for exploration, but Orbx's a business, and they have to pay the modelers and artists that work on these airports. 

It makes sense that, while the simulator is young, they focus on airports that lot of people want. When the platform will be more mature and the more traveled locations are covered, there will likely be more demand for less-known ones.

Edited by Abriael
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, paulk said:

Would love to see the de havilland Beaver as an add on aircraft great for VFR flying around all the Orbx scenery.

The MilViz DHC-2 is going into Beta now ( or pretty soon ). Shouldn't have to wait too long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Abriael said:

Likely because they'd sell a lot less. 

I'm all for exploration, but Orbx's a business, and they have to pay the modelers and artists that work on these airports. 

It makes sense that, while the simulator is young, they focus on airports that lot of people want. When the platform will be more mature and the more traveled locations are covered, there will likely be more demand for less-known ones.

Weird, because they built this company with these addons and it whats got them where they are today, so its strange they will sell less these days...

I dont buy that they cant make any profit on them, but I can see that making the big ones will give way more profit. Well i guess thats what happens when the bean counters take over the company..

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ravenn22 said:

Same - I held off on Auckland City, until Auckland airport was up on Marketplace.

Having a city scenery paired with a high quality nearby airport makes a big difference on the decision to buy. Even better if there are multiple airports within a relatively short flying range.

Definitely !! - we have the 2 Brisbanes - the 2 Sydneys - and from P3D - The Gold Coast - and hoping that the planned Gold Coast Airport can have the Cityscape

and the most wanted of all - a combination of Melbourne City - with Tullarmarine - Esendon and Moorabbin airports

Comments on the work in progress:

- Static aircraft, good to see Marcus addressing this issue with an option for static aircraft. Important for me as they play a large part in the feel and texture of an airport. I do 

not want to add a 3rd party aircraft package to complete an airport. Static aircraft can be created for an airport, adding visual value.

- SBSP Congonhas, a remarkable airport with a remarkable approach. Hope to see it back on Matteo's list, after current work completed. I also think he would create a stunning    release.

- Middle Eastern Airports proposed by Fahdriyami, absolutely, many approaches highlighting stunning scenery. There are many areas to explore, currently flying into all the 

cities served by S7 Siberian Airlines, just a whole world of scenic beauty. Great way to explore, pick an airline, get their route map, and start flying.

There is lots to do, MSFS provides an incredible base, and Orbx and can provide the needed cityscapes and airports to complete. I have been simming since the start, this is the best yet. P3d is the past, for me. Glad to see Orbx building for the latest generation.

Neil

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paulk said:

I did not know that, that is great news, I had their version for P3d and loved it.

Where did you find out about the beta, is it on their website?

Milviz - State of the Sim Jan 22, 2022
https://youtu.be/Mtc8c0hxZBw?t=271

TL:DR 

Basically, their de Havilland roadmap ( with no dates ) is:

• Beaver
  • Turbo Beaver
  • Otter
  • Turbo Otter

Recruiting IRL Beaver Pilots for testing...

https://www.facebook.com/Milviz/posts/4993609040683431

Edited by ravenn22
  • Thanks 1

Any plans on updating KVNY? I'm currently an employee at VNY for the last 5 years.

-There has recently been a new massive hangar that has been constructed right in between the Netjets facility and the Clay Lacy FBO.

-Clay Lacy's 3 middle hangars have been painted dark gray to match the other hangars at the FBO.

-The Northwest corner has had a few new hangars constructed for Sun Air Jets right next to the JetEdge hangar.

9 hours ago, kaboki said:

Weird, because they built this company with these addons and it whats got them where they are today, so its strange they will sell less these days...

I dont buy that they cant make any profit on them, but I can see that making the big ones will give way more profit. Well i guess thats what happens when the bean counters take over the company..

Not that weird... MSFS increased the overall flight sim market by 3-4x. There's a wide variety of interest within that - GA, Bush, Helicopters, BizJets, RJs, Airliners, etc...    If you build a small airport project that only supports GA + Bush flying - then you're limiting your market. 

Say if you're looking to build a project airport in Hawaii - if you build a small airport like Kapalua or Hana - only people that like flying GA or turboprops will buy it. If you build Kahului or Honolulu - everyone interested in flying in Hawaii will buy it, since it supports all types of flying, including regional and mainland airline flights. You basically double or triple your sales potential.

The FSX/P3D model worked since there was always photoscenery and later TrueEarth available for the Orbx PNW and California clusters of airports, and there were a lot of airports within a short flying distance of each other - like the Seattle area small strips...   10 or 15 airports within a 30-45 flight of each other.  A lot of people would buy all that coverage and they'd be able to do a lot of short hops to detailed airports, and had enough choices that it wouldn't get boring. MSFS does the entire world at TE quality ( +/- ), so it's now harder to pin down one region to develop.

• Like 6

@Anna CicognaniWhatever happened to the Dublin city pack that was in the 2021 timeline? Was really looking forward to that one and since then there has been no update and now I see it is not featured in your 2022 plans. If it is cancelled or postponed, please can you say so? That would be much appreciated.

Edited by steve310002
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ravenn22 said:

Not that weird... MSFS increased the overall flight sim market by 3-4x. There's a wide variety of interest within that - GA, Bush, Helicopters, BizJets, RJs, Airliners, etc...    If you build a small airport project that only supports GA + Bush flying - then you're limiting your market. 

Say if you're looking to build a project airport in Hawaii - if you build a small airport like Kapalua or Hana - only people that like flying GA or turboprops will buy it. If you build Kahului or Honolulu - everyone interested in flying in Hawaii will buy it, since it supports all types of flying, including regional and mainland airline flights. You basically double or triple your sales potential.

The FSX/P3D model worked since there was always photoscenery and later TrueEarth available for the Orbx PNW and California clusters of airports, and there were a lot of airports within a short flying distance of each other - like the Seattle area small strips...   10 or 15 airports within a 30-45 flight of each other.  A lot of people would buy all that coverage and they'd be able to do a lot of short hops to detailed airports, and had enough choices that it wouldn't get boring. MSFS does the entire world at TE quality ( +/- ), so it's now harder to pin down one region to develop.

Well I fly small GA, not intrested at all in the big airports. Even smaller regionals doesnt trigger me that much. The smaller it gets and more remote its located, thats what Im intrested in. But I guess im not part of the market they are looking for. Guess Ill take my money and go somewhere else, but sadly there is nowhere to go:(

Asobo sometimes drop a gem like Out Skerries with their world updates, so Ill guess I'll just wait for the free stuff, my wallet will be more happy atleast.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 12:16 AM, Anna Cicognani said:

Happy New Year - late, we know. But the Summer holidays in Australia are still a thing, even if the weather has been mostly inclement so far, but there is still time!

While everyone has had some small amounts of downtime, pondering life and the universe, the Orbx team has been reflecting on 2021, what we set to do and what we actually achieved. As you all know, lately we have been mega busy working with Microsoft on the release of the Australia World Update on Microsoft Flight Simulator and the Fokker. They have been labours of love over many many months, and we are really proud of the results (stay tuned re Fokker as we will be releasing an update with fixes and new functionality). We think the Australian update is the best (and certainly most extensive) so far - if we can say so ourselves!

As a bit of a summary... during 2021 we released 18 Airports (with our HQ in YMEN across 3 platforms), 10 Cities, 22 Indy airports, 3 regions, 1 traffic simulator, 3 missions (the Santa Run, the Halloween Run and the Brisbane River Run) and our first aircraft, the Edgley Optica. Of these releases, 47 were Microsoft Flight Sim products, 8 Prepar3D and 5 X-Plane.

The airport list, in case you need to complete the 2021 collection:

• LWSK - Skopje International Airport
  • EG41 - Fishburn Airfield
  • EGSG - Stapleford Airfield 
  • YBBN - Brisbane International Airport V2
  • LFKX - Meribel Airport 
  • KEYW - Key West International Airport
  • EGTR - Elstree Aerodrome
  • EGKA - Shoreham (Brighton) Airport
  • CYBD - Bella Coola Airport
  • LDSP - Split Airport
  • S45 - Siletz Bay State Airport
  • EGHI - Southampton Airport
  • EGPB - Sumburgh Airport
  • YBBN - Brisbane International Airport
  • 1WA6 - Fall City Airport
  • PAKT - Ketchikan International Airport
  • LDSP - Split Airport 
  • ...and as mentioned, YMEN Essendon Airport -  for P3D, MSFS and XP11

The cities have been VERY exciting products to make and see in action in MSFS: Paris, Singapore, Brisbane (also for P3D), Adelaide, Frankfurt (then incorporated in the German update), Cape Town, Dubai, Mumbai, and Auckland.

Often we get asked about compatibility and inclusion when the MSFS world updates get done. Holger in particular works on the compatibility once the WUs are out. We don't get to see the final versions of photogrammetry from Microsoft (yes - not even for the AU Update) so we have to wait until those are released and then make modifications. As an aside, a number of people wonder why bother buying add-ons when MS will then incorporate similar changes in an update. My answer here is simple: it's a bit like going to the movies vs Netflix / Prime.... if you want to watch a movie when it gets out (and talk about it at your next dinner party), you pay a ticket now, and then yes maybe it will come out on Netflix or whatever subscription you have, and you can watch it for free. Up to you if you want to be there first, or wait for later. Personal choice.  I paid $35 last week to watch the new Dune (awesome BTW), now I own it, and I am sure it will be included on Prime in 3-4 months, and I do not care. Again, personal choice.

Ok where were we...

Let's see what is in store (for the moment) in 2022.

• Prague for all sims, first one out will be MSFS (imminent!)
  • Landmarks Panama Canal is about to be finished too, with lots of exciting features
  • Updates to both our New Zealand mesh (the promised high-resolution LiDAR data) and Landmarks Auckland
  • More of our PC-based landmarks products to be adjusted for release on Xbox
  • OpenLC Asia - tricky as Eugene, the developer, is in the Ukraine and there have been disruptions there, plus this is such a HUGE project and we don't have firm dates yet
  • A swag of aircraft for MSFS - we will release the names and models as we get closer to getting them out, as it seems aircraft sometimes hit snags due to sim-based functionality
  • A very special project: YMML aka Tullamarine / Melbourne main airport, which will be led by Ed and Marcus, plus a Melbourne city pack with a number of POIs to make this city great again ;-)
  • For MSFS, KCRW Chuck Yeager, KFAT Fresno, KPBI Palm Beach (also for P3D), VTSP Phuket and KBOI Boise. For P3D and maybe a bit delayed - TrueEarth Eastern Alps. We are looking at making YBBN Brisbane for XPL too, and a special GB North Landmarks pack for MSFS.

Our Indies are also all busy with these new projects.

From Marcus Nyberg we have ESSA Stockholm Arlanda in heavy development. Marcus revisits his ESP classic and brining it to MSFS with all new modelling textures. You can check the progress at The (very cool) Arlanda Journal. https://www.facebook.com/The-Arlanda-Journal-109400158308529

Marcus 2.jpg

Marcus 1.jpg

Finn Hansen takes on another Norwegian airport and he has ENGM Oslo in his sights. We hope to see this towards the middle of this year with progress going well with this major hub.

screenshot_11.jpg

Screenshot_26.jpg

Andreas Hegi takes a visit down to the gateway of the Dolomites with LIPB Bolzano Airport and he’s been bitten by the “interior terminal” bug. 

Andreas 2.jpg

Andreas 1.jpg

Another that has decided to try out the interior modelling fad is Rasha Tucakov as he looks to wrap up LYPG Podgorica as an addition to his Balkan Peninsula destinations.

Rasha 2.jpg

Rasha 1.jpg

After the successful LKSK Skiathos, Matteo Veneziani wasted no time in revisiting KBUR Burbank as he works on a new version for MSFS with reworked models and textures and new groundpoly. This was necessary as we look to use this as the basis for the X-Plane version of the airport and will be available at a discount for existing owners. After that, Matteo will begin work on YBCG Gold Cost as well as look to finalise LIPH Treviso.

Ken Hall is busy on working YMLT Launceston which will be a great addition to his home on the Apple Isle and he is in his element with some of the older buildings and bringing them to life, warts and all.

Ken 1.jpg

Ken 2.jpg

And over in New Zealand, Tim Harris is feeling rejuvenated with his work on NZNV Invercargill and really pushing the limits on where art meets reality.

Tim 1.jpg

Tim 2.jpg

Our MSFS mesh wizard, Dmytro Krikunov (if the name sounds familiar, it is because he is the son of Eugene our Global lead developer) is finalising the much awaited NZ Mesh update with 1m LiDAR in selected areas and his next region will be South America! That’s right, the whole continent.

Phew!

OK that is what we have got for the moment. I know many of you will have suggestions of what we should do next, and we are very happy to hear them (no guarantee though ;-) ).

Hope you are all keeping safe and well. COVID has spread a bit through the Orbx team but overall we have been able to keep going OK. Hope you are too!

Till next time....

Hi Anna,

Thanks for this update which shares an exciting future.  May I ask, will there be more Throwback Thursday releases?

thanks!

35 minutes ago, kaboki said:

Well I fly small GA, not intrested at all in the big airports. Even smaller regionals doesnt trigger me that much. The smaller it gets and more remote its located, thats what Im intrested in. But I guess im not part of the market they are looking for. Guess Ill take my money and go somewhere else, but sadly there is nowhere to go:(

Asobo sometimes drop a gem like Out Skerries with their world updates, so Ill guess I'll just wait for the free stuff, my wallet will be more happy atleast.

well, devs will always do passion projects from time to time, and it's a nice break to work on smaller airports vs 8-12 months for a larger airport, so I wouldn't throw in the towel. There's a few Catalinas, Luklas, St Barts out there that are small, but famous enough and would be in demand with a general audience. 

In addition to lack of player awareness and lack of demand for small strips - they generally have to be priced lower to get people to check them out. You still have to do a lot of work to make a good scenery of "Jimmy Joe-Bob's PVT farm airstrip" that no one's heard of, but you're looking at selling it at less than $10-15 and can expect to sell lower numbers. Really comes down to: time - sales potential - passion.

I'm working on a couple small strips near my home airport that have almost zero sales potential, but I'm doing it because I know they're cool locations IRL and I want to see a HQ version in the game. But I have to weigh that with how much time I put into them, since I'd have to put them out as freeware or in the $5-10 range. If this was my day job, I wouldn't pick those strips to do - since they wouldn't pay the bills.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2022 at 10:30 PM, EasternT3 said:

It seems that in absence of a surrounding area or airport which justify flying there, these cities have not been especially popular. Personally, I think Dubai is one of our best, so this is puzzling indeed!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2