What we are working on - 2022

Anna Cicognani

16 hours ago, gpickup said:

Hi Anna,

Thanks for this update which shares an exciting future.  May I ask, will there be more Throwback Thursday releases?

thanks!

We have got some ideas about some of those airports which could be very interesting as a collection. Stay tuned as we are definitely working on these (they will not be called "Throwback Thursdays" though). Cheers!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2022 at 4:53 AM, Abriael said:

That's totally understandable. If it makes you feel better, someone's finally doing Mumbai, so that may accelerate sales there, since the city scenery is great and deserves to be explored. 

That being said, I wouldn't call Yokohama out of context. Its skyline is basically under many of the main departures and arrivals of Tokyo Haneda, which is one of the busiest airports in the country, and similarly to Singapore or Frankfurt, you fly there at very low altitude even on airliners. I'd say it's more "in context" than most other cities. :D

Haneda doesn't have third-party scenery but it's well-traveled because it's one of the hand-made airports in the sims and has a big freeware improvement package that brings it almost up there with payware level.

Chofu airport on the other side, may be smaller and general-aviation dedicated, but it does have payware scenery and you approach directly over Yokohama.

If you'd like more info lemme know (you know where to find me :D) and I'll provide. 

Looks like Yokohama may need to go back in the roadmap ;-)

Yes it would be great to get more info from you! I shall DM!

• Like 2

On 2/12/2022 at 6:19 AM, carlosqr said:

Oh what a sad text

How can these amazing cities specially Dubai didn't hit?

It's ubelievable they are simple great, Dubai above all.

Teach me to make them!

I'll do them free of charge, as a hobby, for Orbx to sell.

I don't depend on Orbx to survive, and learning to make them would be incredibly nice

I'm very focous on details and love quality if I get trained It would be a pleasure to make them so you don't use your resources to create them

If I knew how to make them I'll be on that daily after my job, instead of flying til 2 am

I really like creating and would be very enthusiast about this

Agree - Dubai is one of my favourites too... And no, it did not do that well, unfortunately.

Definitely interested if you want to work on something with us! DM me and we can work something out. :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, steve310002 said:

@Anna CicognaniWhatever happened to the Dublin city pack that was in the 2021 timeline? Was really looking forward to that one and since then there has been no update and now I see it is not featured in your 2022 plans. If it is cancelled or postponed, please can you say so? That would be much appreciated.

Slightly iced for the moment, but hoping for a thaw sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anna Cicognani said:

It seems that in absence of a surrounding area or airport which justify flying there, these cities have not been especially popular. Personally, I think Dubai is one of our best, so this is puzzling indeed!

I love all your cities, and I agree, Dubai is outstanding :wub:

• Like 1

On 2/10/2022 at 2:13 PM, SimFlightPro said:

Couldn't be happier to hear this Anna! Every single airport has been gloriously developed. The sim cant be complete without Orbx!

Wishing your team the very best!

Kind regards,

Steven

Coverage on 2022 plans.

Again, thanks for the great news Anna! Our community would be thrilled on future Orbx projects!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Anna Cicognani said:

It seems that in absence of a surrounding area or airport which justify flying there, these cities have not been especially popular. Personally, I think Dubai is one of our best, so this is puzzling indeed

A couple of possible explanations If I may :

- Do people know that they are so cheap ? I didn’t before looking into the product pages after reading your post.

- a lot of simmers have not upgraded their computer due to the insane hardware market.  An addon like Dubai raises an obvious  issue for a lot of us : will it not bring my rig to its silicon knees ? Is it optimized enough ? 

-  are you sure that your promotional presentation is made for simmers ? My own take, I am  a warbird and GA flyer who mostly does less than one hour flight.  I like Dubai as a starting point because there are  East of the UAE  very nice landscapes for visual flights (Jebel al Harim, coastal jebels to Mascate). No mention of it in your presentation. Dubai is also a large hub for airliners. No mention of it. Your presentation is almost disconnected from the hobby.It is more like a Architectural Tourism Promotion Agency blurb. 

To make it short. Is it the product or is it how it is sold ? 

I didn’t buy it but I am intrigued so I will.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Anna Cicognani said:

Slightly iced for the moment, but hoping for a thaw sooner rather than later.

Would it be an option to consider throwing in a small GA airfield as a combo package with each Cityscape? In Dublin, there is Weston airport that would be fantastic with Dublin. Similar for other Cityscapes, a small GA airfield would be perfect to explore the Cityscape, even if the price would be higher.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, BrianV said:

Would it be an option to consider throwing in a small GA airfield as a combo package with each Cityscape? In Dublin, there is Weston airport that would be fantastic with Dublin. Similar for other Cityscapes, a small GA airfield would be perfect to explore the Cityscape, even if the price would be higher.

A good point which is not far from mine. An out-the-way city pack needs to be more clearly linked to simming. No need for a gigantic hub but a couple of quaint little airports around would enhance the product indeed. 

PS Just bought Dubai. A nice piece of scenery and easy on my old jalopy :)

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 4:27 PM, Dozer16 said:

I really hope its better then there best! It’s my home airport! KFLL was a major disappointment for MSFS. 

When I was there, I was literally filming and preparing to release a video and then start a gofundme (with about $1000 of my own $$) to attempt buy the unfinished KPBI work off Orbx and get it to another developer to finish it :lol: 

Just happy to see it’s still there.  I’m hoping it’ll be ready soon™ 

8 hours ago, dominique said:

A couple of possible explanations If I may :

- Do people know that they are so cheap ? I didn’t before looking into the product pages after reading your post.

- a lot of simmers have not upgraded their computer due to the insane hardware market.  An addon like Dubai raises an obvious  issue for a lot of us : will it not bring my rig to its silicon knees ? Is it optimized enough ? 

-  are you sure that your promotional presentation is made for simmers ? My own take, I am  a warbird and GA flyer who mostly does less than one hour flight.  I like Dubai as a starting point because there are  East of the UAE  very nice landscapes for visual flights (Jebel al Harim, coastal jebels to Mascate). No mention of it in your presentation. Dubai is also a large hub for airliners. No mention of it. Your presentation is almost disconnected from the hobby.It is more like a Architectural Tourism Promotion Agency blurb. 

To make it short. Is it the product or is it how it is sold ? 

I didn’t buy it but I am intrigued so I will

It's an interesting post.

I think pilots tend to focus on what they've been doing for years and they know representation of good quality cities have always missed.

I do think more promotion for them is needed apart from the standard procedures (social media) maybe during longer time..

Also I think that as a city it is it does need to be offered as a sort of touristic spot to hightlight the content.

As per your question "will it not bring my rig to its silicon knees ? Is it optimized enough ? " I can tell you that it runs as smooth as silk. From a user perspective. Anna of course will reply in time and maybe with more technical details

If you don't mind me sharing here you'll find a post I made with that awesome city so you can check a user experience vr the professional shots of the site

Such a great quality product and being so cheap it's hard to believe people don't get it.

Thanks Dominique

Cheers

Carlos

Edited by carlosqr
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, BrianV said:

This, I think, is an excellent idea. I admit, the reason I have skipped over certain Cityscape scenery is exactly that and also what @dominique was talking about above. The Cityscape packages I DO tend to purchase are in areas that have other airport packages available from Orbx in the same area. Makes a huge difference for me to decide to purchase or not. 

Cheers

Landon

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, FBWFTW said:

When I was there, I was literally filming and preparing to release a video and then start a gofundme (with about $1000 of my own $$) to attempt buy the unfinished KPBI work off Orbx and get it to another developer to finish it :lol: 

Just happy to see it’s still there.  I’m hoping it’ll be ready soon™ 

Haha you and me both! All I want is an excellent rendition of it! I would of definitely crowd funded it as well! I wouldn’t mind doing that for the KFLL. The latinVFR one is bad.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dozer16 said:

Haha you and me both! All I want is an excellent rendition of it! I would of definitely crowd funded it as well! I wouldn’t mind doing that for the KFLL. The latinVFR one is bad.

Been waiting for KPBI (along with a few others of course) since March 6, 2020 when they first teased KSJC/KPBI.  I’ll try and DM you the video I took at KPBI where I said I was gonna crowdfund it!  But KFLL is fine!  A little vram heavy but just fine, I make some adjustments to my settings when I go down there and/or turn off KMIA 

On 2/13/2022 at 2:47 AM, Anna Cicognani said:

Agree - Dubai is one of my favourites too... And no, it did not do that well, unfortunately.

Definitely interested if you want to work on something with us! DM me and we can work something out. :)

Just an idea, but what about a survey of possible Cityscape ideas, may help get a feel for what people want. I agree the price is great so surprized more don't buy. I would like to see more grass routes areas like the PNW smaller airfields with detailed towns around each.

• Like 2

Hi Anna,

How about areas you have not developed before, Like India. 

Cochin, Mangalore, Bangalore, Calcutta,  Trivandrum

And in Srilanka, 

Maldives,

And how about your Old airports,  Pago Pago!

With lots of coconut Palms. and beaches.

Edited by Manny
  • Like 1

Good morning Anna,

has Orbx ever tried creating packs of say 10 small airfields or small regional airports of a country before. I don't think they would need a perfect real life representation but more of an enhancement of main buildings perimeter fences ect. Airfields of the alps, New Zealand, Japan, Himalayas for some examples. Just a thought ???

4 hours ago, Lt.Bran said:

Has anyone created Dubai I ntl yet?

Not yet, there's a handcrafted version by Asobo, but it's not the best, FlyTampa, an Orbx partner did OMDB for FSX/P3D, hopefully they'll bring it to MSFS, but they haven't mentioned anything yet, so I can't see it for a while

• Like 1

Pretty disappointed in the meager number of sceneries in development for X-Plane. No new TrueEarth regions? We’ve been waiting over a year for fixes to one X-Plane scenery in particular without good reason for it to take so long. Makes me not want to buy from Orbx again if you can’t stand behind your own products and take the time away from MSFS development to fix the issue. 

Not going to be buying any of the MSFS sceneries as that platform will never appeal to me for a multitude of reasons. 

Edited by Boctal
  • Haha 1

Disappointed and somewhat surprised to hear the landscape packs like Dubai not doing so well. Given the state of the default version of the city, it was a must buy for me. I suppose many here are perhaps more hardcore simmers than a newcomer like me and prioritize airport realism and plane gameplay over landscape eye candy, so that's understandable.

Yeah, personally, I didn’t buy many of the cityscapes because there was no detailed airport available in their respective city.  London, I bought day 1 together with your London City airport.   Adelaide, I bought together with YPAD, etc.  I really want Dubai AND the upcoming Panama cityscapes, but will be holding off until a detailed airport rendition is available to go with.  The detailed airport doesn’t have to be from Orbx either.  

Another option, is to include landmarks with an airport scenery package.  Doesn’t have to be as exhaustive as a city-scape, but cover some of the main ones.  Sort of like your amazing Bromma.  

Regards,

Rob

• Upvote 2

G'day Anna,

My first attempt at using this site, here goes . . . .  Are you aware that the latest rendition of Sydney Harbour Bridge allows flight below the deck? I've done a few such and, if conducted in a retractable undercarriage aeroplane, the wheels always extend and the plane exits at water-level despite altimeter indicating 100 ft or whatever. Not sure if it's Microsoft issue or scenery developer.

On 2/10/2022 at 10:31 PM, Anna Cicognani said:

Similar to the reply to @Abriael, we have to be careful about the product picks because the market has now spread pretty wide with MSFS, and we see a lot of pilots have moved from P3D to MSFS. Loss-making products can be lethal for future development! 

Yet surely the money you are making with MFS can help you build dedicated teams within the company so there is no delay to P3D development or it isnt overshadowed by other sims and their monthly fix updates. Its great you still support P3D and I hope that never changes. The future is never set in stone with any sim I believe and anyone popping all their eggs in one basket (like having only ONE developer work on OpenAsiaLC and he happens to come from the portion of the world having difficulties at the moment, my blessings are with him) seems like very bad business myself/P3D or its community isnt valued the same as MSFS.

I do hope Eugene can stay safe. :)

Edited by CaptainLens

2 hours ago, CaptainLens said:

I believe and anyone popping all their eggs in one basket (like having only ONE developer work on OpenAsiaLC and he happens to come from the portion of the world having difficulties at the moment, my blessings are with him) seems like very bad business myself/P3D or its community isnt valued the same as MSFS

But only Marcus is working on ESSA, Matteo on KBUR etc, it’s not only OpenLC, sometimes people prefer working independently, or looking at it a different way, maybe Eugene is the only person that can create the OpenLC type products.

I do get where you’re coming from but imo making a P3D dedicated team is a bad business move, it’s better for continuity to have the same developer on the same product, otherwise there could be major differences, or the original developer unhappy with how the P3D team recreated their product,

(plus why would a business happily lose money, after all Orbx is a business and a P3D dedicated team seems a good way to lose money :))

On 2/18/2022 at 8:55 AM, EasternT3 said:

after all Orbx is a business and a P3D dedicated team seems a good way to lose money :))

I think I am on the understanding that coders working for Orbx all have the same skills in terms of creating addons. You are correct, there will be some skilled at aircraft, whilst others are better at airports, some better working with photoreal terrain and others are modellers... It isnt silly though to have a MSFS team, an Xplane team and a P3D team... maybe I am over estimating how many employees around the world Orbx has.. I know they have offices all over the world and from the videos they show, it looks to be quite heavily staffed.. maybe it was just for the video though.. again, I am coming from the view of ANY business putting all their eggs in one basket, is a bad business move... in this case, putting their entire future on MSFS, one sim... which currently they are not as they still release for other sims... you must admit though, the priority is MSFS  though.. which I get... that is fine.. Im simply stating with the money made, create teams so all the sims get their projects moved forwards rather than have a group wait years for a release with promises broken. or rather past roadmaps unfulfilled. 

19 minutes ago, CaptainLens said:

I think I am on the understanding that coders working for Orbx all have the same skills in terms of creating addons. You are correct, there will be some skilled at aircraft, whilst others are better at airports, some better working with photoreal terrain and others are modellers... It isnt silly though to have a MSFS team, an Xplane team and a P3D team... maybe I am over estimating how many employees around the world Orbx has.. I know they have offices all over the world and from the videos they show, it looks to be quite heavily staffed.. maybe it was just for the video though.. again, I am coming from the view of ANY business putting all their eggs in one basket, is a bad business move... in this case, putting their entire future on MSFS, one sim... which currently they are not as they still release for other sims... you must admit though, the priority is MSFS  though.. which I get... that is fine.. Im simply stating with the money made, create teams so all the sims get their projects moved forwards rather than have a group wait years for a release with promises broken. or rather past roadmaps unfulfilled. 

I get where you're coming from. I've just checked and it says Orbx has around 30 staff and I'd guess only half of these are developers and the rest are anna, ed, finance etc, maybe if they expanded they could go into separate teams but then it's whether P3D and XPL sales would be sustainable enough to support there own teams going forward

OK let's keep Eugene on task with the AsiaLC project.   Invasion by the Red Army is not a valid excuse!  

Seriously - might be a good idea to set him up in the UK office for a few weeks.... nothing to costly, but he's a proven contributor and we do need to keep him gainfully employed on this LC work!

Thanks for keeping P3D in the pipeline.  MSFS is nice and all, but.... well, you know.  Thanks.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Ripcord said:

Seriously - might be a good idea to set him up in the UK office for a few weeks.... nothing to costly, but he's a proven contributor and we do need to keep him gainfully employed on this LC work!

Agreed! Is there any place where we can invest in a flight for him & his family?

3 hours ago, Ripcord said:

Thanks for keeping P3D in the pipeline.

+ 1!

• Upvote 3