What we are working on - 2022

Anna Cicognani

Well, I think many think Bing textures including me are not as good as textures from the competition. 

Here is a screen shot of both in the same area at the same altitude and in my opinion, one has the edge over the other. Add to that the colour issues in MSFS textures (yellow-ish roads) and I think it's fairly clear that TE is the better of the two.

image.thumb.jpeg.28953afd4cdc9058c896d70ec6caba44.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cbcdesign said:

Well, I think many think Bing textures including me are not as good as textures from the competition. 

Here is a screen shot of both in the same area at the same altitude and in my opinion, one has the edge over the other. Add to that the colour issues in MSFS textures (yellow-ish roads) and I think it's fairly clear that TE is the better of the two.

image.thumb.jpeg.28953afd4cdc9058c896d70ec6caba44.jpeg

Your shots are not out of any sim. So I do not understand, what you would like to proof with them.

OK so here are shots from each sim at a similar altitude in the same spot. One is noticeably better in my opinion. Identical weather in each by the way and same time of day. There are no clouds in the sky to cast any shadows you see on the first image by the way, that's just what it looks like in the sim. Now you tell me, which of these two looks better?

image.thumb.jpeg.77f07fe46fc436ae008257fa367cf442.jpeg

Two.jpg

Edited by cbcdesign

On 9/8/2022 at 4:41 AM, Anna Cicognani said:

Yes re trees. We are looking at all aspects of the regions. 

Good morning Anna, I hope you are well. I am a proud Orbx customer based in South East England and have purchased many of your products both for MSFS and X Plane 11. I now have a copy of X Plane 12, and have used the various methods to use my XPlane 11 true earth products in it, whilst being fully conscious that’s my choice and at present isn’t supported so it’s on me should anything go wrong.  As I train for PPL in real life, I have to say X Plane 12 wins hands down in terms of realism (in relation to my own real world experiences), therefore I am all in on X Plane 12. I just wanted to call out that any upgrades of existing XPlane 11 pay ware over to X Plane 12 should come with a cost associated it (perhaps this view might make me unpopular) I can’t wait for my existing Orbx products to be made officially compatible, but don’t expect it from yourselves for free. I want Orbx to invest in X Plane 12, so please make the business case case compelling for yourselves and price accordingly.  My wallet is ready :-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, AndyWsays said:

Good morning Anna, I hope you are well. I am a proud Orbx customer based in South East England and have purchased many of your products both for MSFS and X Plane 11. I now have a copy of X Plane 12, and have used the various methods to use my XPlane 11 true earth products in it, whilst being fully conscious that’s my choice and at present isn’t supported so it’s on me should anything go wrong.  As I train for PPL in real life, I have to say X Plane 12 wins hands down in terms of realism (in relation to my own real world experiences), therefore I am all in on X Plane 12. I just wanted to call out that any upgrades of existing XPlane 11 pay ware over to X Plane 12 should come with a cost associated it (perhaps this view might make me unpopular) I can’t wait for my existing Orbx products to be made officially compatible, but don’t expect it from yourselves for free. I want Orbx to invest in X Plane 12, so please make the business case case compelling for yourselves and price accordingly.  My wallet is ready :-)

I would support that. Although I have a number of sims, MSFS and XP11 are currently my 'go to' ones. TE in XP11 is excellent. I have all of GB, Washington State, Spain, Balearics and Canary Islands as well as the airports.

I was delighted to see that XP12 appears to be more of an 'improved' XP11 rather than a totally different sim. Once a 'final' version of XP12 is released then I will purchase it.

I have no problem in paying a 'small' charge for existing XP11 scenery being converted to work 100%. Thanks for all your good work :).

• Like 4

@Anna Cicognani

Hello Anna.

I don't want to be boring or too long and I don't want to overdo it either.But TrueEarth with X-Plane12 is simply outstanding. I'm really not afraid to make comparisons. Life is an endless comparison.

Better Color, Sharpness, Lod distance,Shadows, Brightness... It is the amazing qualities of this fabulous blend.Subtle magic happens, and it makes all the difference.

I wish you a great day Anna.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

@Anna Cicognani

Hello Anna,
I'm glad to hear that the TE sceneries for X-Plane 12 are being worked on. These are the reason I bought X-Plane 12. The new features make the sceneries look even better, as @FILOU also wrote. Also from my side many thanks for your excellent work on sceneries for X-Plane.

Best regards

Edited by VFR-Pilot
  • Upvote 2

Very glad I saw these XP12 related posts.

I have been hovering over the 'Purchase' button for the several remaining XP11 TE products and related airports for some days now, but now I know for sure to hold off any further purchases in case I have to re-buy them for XP12 when released.

XP12  with my 'dragged over' TE (from my now removed XP11) is the most impressive simming experience I have had in 40 years of simming. TE looks stunning in XP12, even though it is not yet optimised or updated for the new scenery elements that XP12 allows, and will become even better. This really excites me, and I'm so looking forward to this.

Yes, like many, I do have MSFS with (a few thousand dollars of) extras, and enjoy the eye-candy and play with it, but my new simming home is now XP12. Orbx TE is more than a match for the eye-candy, IMO. So there are more Orbx purchases for me down the line.

And of course Beta = 'Be Patient', so I'm happy to wait.

Edited by ozboater
  • Like 1

On 9/12/2022 at 10:52 AM, Anna Cicognani said:

As the work required to "upgrade" them is not clear yet, we have not decided whether they will be small paid upgrades or free

Hi Anna.

Thanks for this update.

I haven't flown X-Plane for some years and completely skipped XP11.  I noticed on social media that XP12 was due for early access and bought it as soon as it appeared on the 6th September. I asked in a forum for some better UK scenery and was pointed at Orbx.  I downloaded the demo, flew it for a couple of hours and then immediately bought the three UK packs on the 10th September.

It didn't even cross my mind that there might be new versions released for XP12 and that there might be a fee.  I appreciate it's probably too early for you to say but it would be great if situations like mine could be taken into account if there's a fee to upgrade.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the XP 12 upgrades from Orbx.  I have GB Central & South, Southern Spain and all the US West Coast.  Just spent the time since XP 12 EA release checking out Spain, and now I've moved on to GB.  EXCELLENT!  Works well for me on a mid-range system for FPS and the quality is outstanding.  Just a few minor errors here and there.  Again, looking forward to the upgraded version and am so happy that I can use the XP 11 version in the meantime.  Thanks for a great set of products and looking forward to more scenery packages.  

HP Omen 880SE i7-9700K 4.6 with GHz 32 Gb, NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 (8 GB GDDR6 dedicated)

• Like 3

On 9/8/2022 at 2:17 PM, cbcdesign said:

OK so here are shots from each sim at a similar altitude in the same spot. One is noticeably better in my opinion. Identical weather in each by the way and same time of day. There are no clouds in the sky to cast any shadows you see on the first image by the way, that's just what it looks like in the sim. Now you tell me, which of these two looks better?

image.thumb.jpeg.77f07fe46fc436ae008257fa367cf442.jpeg

Two.jpg

The Top One definitely looks more realistic.  CbcDesign it really depends on where you fly whether Bing Maps or Google is better.  It varies quite a bit and neither is superior to the other all the time.  The big drawback that displeases me on MSFS, is that the Lidar cities usually have a distinct color difference from the surrounding terrain.  I wish they could blend their imagery better in those areas.  

Orbx does a pretty good job at this aspect, however SoCal True Earth is much to dark and red.

-Preston    

Edited by Woogey

The autogen buildings are better in the top image but the vegetation colours are too dark, more like winter colours than summer. Roads have a green tinge too as do hay fields. And those shadows are baked into the image, there were no clouds to cast them so they should not be there. If you prefer that well that's your subjective opinion but I don't share it and the point I was making about which are clearer stands. The bottom image, regardless of your opinion on colours looks sharper than the top image. The trees are more accurately sized too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Bullfox said:

When you get around to TE Oregon for XP12 please get rid of all the blue streets.  

Without hand colouring I don't think there's any way to get away from green and blue roads in the scenery. The colour is somehow in the source imagery. My guess is that the roads were possibly wet or moist, or it was overcast on the day the imagery was photographed.  But it might be something in the filters used in the cameras, which are designed for aerial surveys primarily, rather than visual colour balancing. 

• Upvote 1

@Anna Cicognani I was wondering if there is any development update on KFAT, which was announced to be coming this year.  I live in Fresno and I absolutely love the design of our airport.  I've seen screen shots of your XP11 version but, since I'm an MSFS 2020 user, I would love to have it there as soon as possible!

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 4:24 PM, demio said:

Hello Orbx team,

could somebody please confirm that OpenLC Asia is still in development? It's been a while since the last update on this product. Thank you.

Kind regards,

Dimitrios

Unfortunately, this is on hold indefinitely as our Ukrainian developer is unable to work. Difficult to predict when this may come back into our roadmap. Sad circumstances.

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, scodavis said:

@Anna Cicognani I was wondering if there is any development update on KFAT, which was announced to be coming this year.  I live in Fresno and I absolutely love the design of our airport.  I've seen screen shots of your XP11 version but, since I'm an MSFS 2020 user, I would love to have it there as soon as possible!

Still on the radar, but not actively being worked on as we speak. But you never know.... we may bring it back into the fold!

On 10/10/2022 at 7:28 AM, Anna Cicognani said:

Unfortunately, this is on hold indefinitely as our Ukrainian developer is unable to work. Difficult to predict when this may come back into our roadmap. Sad circumstances.

Is there a part of the product that is actually done?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2022 at 1:41 AM, cbcdesign said:

The autogen buildings are better in the top image but the vegetation colours are too dark, more like winter colours than summer. Roads have a green tinge too as do hay fields. And those shadows are baked into the image, there were no clouds to cast them so they should not be there. If you prefer that well that's your subjective opinion but I don't share it and the point I was making about which are clearer stands. The bottom image, regardless of your opinion on colours looks sharper than the top image. The trees are more accurately sized too.

I prefer top more, colours are better and it is softer. The bottom is too crispy and colors are too bright. Those clouds are a problem, I though there is clouds. I like top forests too. 

Which sims does those are and which addons? The top colors looks more like my GB South TE but otherwise it seems like MSFS.

• 2 weeks later...

there are 2 previous posts by Anna, one states they are planning to get TE for XP sorted, just up a bit and on the previous page she comments on the fact that most airports should be compatible, but the ground has changed so they have to work on that....hopefully we will see some soon....the problem with the airports is they don't have the new wet effect in the v11 version...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anna,

Weve been waiting some time for the updated NZ Mesh and you indicate that its one of the things due out 2022. Its near end of year now and no sign of it. 

I see New Zealand is on the list for MSFS World update and was wondering if Orbx is playing a part in this update and will the mesh get changed anyway.

For those that have already purchased the Orbx NZ mesh will that get a higher resolution than whats due to come out with the world update.

If you see my meaning will those that bought the NZ mesh be short changed here ?

Thanks

Colin

2 hours ago, cosy said:

Hi Anna,

Weve been waiting some time for the updated NZ Mesh and you indicate that its one of the things due out 2022. Its near end of year now and no sign of it. 

I see New Zealand is on the list for MSFS World update and was wondering if Orbx is playing a part in this update and will the mesh get changed anyway.

For those that have already purchased the Orbx NZ mesh will that get a higher resolution than whats due to come out with the world update.

If you see my meaning will those that bought the NZ mesh be short changed here ?

Thanks

Colin

Can't see how you can say you've been short changed if the upcoming NZ update has better mesh.  Flight sims evolve and improve constantly and at any time an improvement might emerge that is better than something you paid for in the past.  You've had the ability to enjoy what you paid for for since the release of the mesh, and that's what you've paid for, not insurance that something better might come out later.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 7:14 AM, wolfko said:

I guess, he is amused that you find XP textures much nicer than MSFS textures. I was also a bit confused after reading you post.

Unless he meant ortho?  My ortho in XP12 is way above the streaming quality available in MSFS.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, MrBitsy said:

Unless he meant ortho?  My ortho in XP12 is way above the streaming quality available in MSFS.

I guess you do use Bing for your ortho like most XP simmers do. MSFS also uses Bing, but more up to date data than those available for XP ortho.

I addition MSFS autogen placement is by far superior to XP placement, not to mention MSFS photogrammetry. 

• Like 1

Hi Anna

First - Happy New Year for Sunday - I hope your Christmas has been good too!

Just wondering if there is any chance of some update with YMML?  This is a major airport, sadly lacking in Aus.  You mentioned it was destined for 2022 but there's no apparent news on it.  

ta

Edited by Transair
  • Upvote 3