This Week's Meaningless Topic (#86) (Apr 30)

Hi all. Looking over the threads on the Neill Hill Memorial Lounge, it's apparent that our lot likes music. Adam especially is good about sharing videos of our favorites. So let's take it all the way and highlight our most favorite entertainers.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  For the rest of your life, you can have access to only one person's or group's music. You will have the whole set of that person/group's work, but only that set, nobody else. It can be a classical composer, a band, a singing group, a soloist, but only one source. Who is your ultimate musical companion? (For me, it would be Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young when he was with them).

• Like 6

in all honesty, I like such a variety of music, Dance (modern not waltz), rock, R & B, pop, Jazz all sorts, I say if it gets my foot going then I must surely like it....however given just one group or artist then it would be Dire Straits, started in 1982 when I heard Telegraph Road, I was hooked....Dire Straits were with me constantly on my Sony Walkman, from times in the Army to meeting my wife, to my kids being born and our soundtrack in the car....favourite track was Sultans of Swing....Mark Knopfler, legend....

• Like 8

A tough one to be sure.  But I'd say The Academy of St Martin in the Fields, first under Sir Neville Mariner, now under Joshua Bell.  Very large discography.

Ken

• Like 5

Being one who appreciates all types if music I found this hard to decide but I have to nominate the enigmatic Bob Dylan as the one who most influenced, and still influences, my own progress as a musician right from his earliest days until now!

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

For me its got to be 'The Seekers'.  I can, and do, listen to their music for an hour or two every day.  And its not only the music, the words resonate strongly with me too.  Their song; 'I am Australian' could well be the National Anthem of that magnificent Country and it's people. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

There are so many, I even surprise my teenage kids when I stream contemporary artists on our home speaker network.

The Eagles, early Bee Gees, Stones, Dire Straits........this is too hard Rodger!  I'm going to have to go with an Aussie artist - Paul Kelly. He's had several iterations, Paul Kelly and the Coloured Girls, Paul Kelly and the Messengers......etc. This man can tell a story through music. He's a legend :

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

To many starting with the big bands in the 40's up to the day real music ended, but the group I enjoyed the most was the Allman Brothers Band. As a solo it was Eric Clapton without a doubt. :)

• Like 6

Oh Rodger, this is really a fascinating and hard question. After long thinking (and lots of music in the head), I have to join John @lifejogger: The Beatles.

In a relatively short timespan they have produced so many evergreens, and covered many styles, beat, rock, ballads, psychedelic, or pure humoristic submarines. One can´t do without them.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Oh Rodger, this is really a fascinating and hard question. After long thinking (and lots of music in the head), I have to join John @lifejogger: The Beatles.

In a relatively short timespan they have produced so many evergreens, and covered many styles, beat, rock, ballads, psychedelic, or pure humoristic submarines. One can´t do without them.

We just last week had Sir Paul perform here in Spokane . 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, BradB said:

We just last week had Sir Paul perform here in Spokane . 

We had tickets for his concert here in Hanover in 2020, but it was canceled due to a virus. I can only hope he may try again in 2023…

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

We had tickets for his concert here in Hanover in 2020, but it was canceled due to a virus. I can only hope he may try again in 2023…

At Christmas 2019 my wife bought 2 tickets for an Eric Clapton show in Munich in June 2020, which was postponed to June 2021 due to Corona and eventually to 02 June 2022. Fortunately the old tickets are still valid and we are very much looking forward to this concert.

Edited by wolfko
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 2

You just know I had to stop everything and listen to this!  Then an early  Jimi Hendrix came up next.....love it.  Saw Hendrix at the Monterey Pop Festival back in the day.  Still amazes me that all his genius and great guitar playing that influenced others to this day was done in less than  4 years.

• Like 5