The Old Coots Club

On 4/9/2020 at 11:52 PM, flyingleaf said:

Ah man I've finished most of them things before corona virus. Now what?:unsure:

Still have a case or two of beer around I suppose don't ya Karl, well there you go. :D  If not, maybe Hilda can do some dirty dancing for you in the front yard or something. :D

Stay safe everyone. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Besides flying Orbx -Land, I've spent a good part of the last couple days reading the story of the ROORD "Ducks" team. That, and "escaping" the house to go for  physical therapy (recovering from knee replacement surgery with complications), makes for a pretty good way to hunker down for the duration.

Ken

• Like 2

FEW THINGS I've LEARNED FROM ISOLATION
• I was so bored I called Jake from State Farm just to talk to someone. He asked me what I was wearing…
• 2019: Stay away from negative people. 2020: Stay away from positive people.
• The world has turned upside down. Old folks are sneaking out of the house, and their kids are yelling at them to stay indoors!
• You think it’s bad now? In 20 years our country will be run by people homeschooled by day drinkers…
• This virus has done what no woman had been able to do . . cancel all sports, shut down all bars, and keep men at home!!!
• Do not call the police on suspicious people in your neighborhood! Those are your neighbors without makeup and hair extensions!
• Since we can’t eat out, now’s the perfect time to eat better, get fit, and stay healthy. We’re quarantined! Who are we trying to 
  impress?  We have snacks, we have sweatpants – I say we use them!
• Day 7 at home and the dog is looking at me like, “See? This is why I chew the furniture!”
• Does anyone know if we can take showers yet or should we just keep washing our hands???
• I never thought the comment “I wouldn’t touch him/her with a 6 foot pole” would become a national policy, but here we are!
• Me: Alexa what’s the weather this weekend?
Alexa: It doesn’t matter – you’re not going anywhere.
• Can everyone please just follow the government instructions so we can knock out this coronavirus and be done?! I feel like a 
kindergartner who keeps losing more recess time because one or two kids can’t follow directions.
• I swear my fridge just said “what the hell do you want now?”
• When this is over . . . what meeting do I attend first . . . Weight Watchers or AA?
• Quarantine has turned us into dogs. We roam the house all day looking for food. We are told “no” if we get too close to strangers.
 And we get really excited about car rides.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey Ian - Old Mate 

Does this mean you are back in Harness again???  - how do you feel ?? - you obviously got thro' the lockdowns

In my case - it meant that the missus didn't moan a lot when she had to go out shopping - on the basis 

of the warning for the over 80s - and all I did all day - was flying aeroplanes - without conscience.

I actually had my first haircut for 8 weeks last week - and today I went to the library - by appointment to pick up 5 reserves

which were available 3 months ago. Only one person working at a desk just inside the door - and the books already for me

which means I can put my Kindle back in the drawer

You must be missing the Library !!

Have you still got the "Harley"

John

• Like 2

Hi John, I am on a powered wheelchair now, but still getting around.  I have had my computer done up, and it is a total flop.  Foolishly uninstalled 4.5 in the hope that v5 would be better, but no joy. I suspect  it is worse. Didn't know the Library had reopened, even limited, things are looking up.

22 hours ago, macca22au said:

I have found LMv5 a pain in the arse.   Can't install Orbx.  I'm in a race to still be here when Microsoft comes out.

Hopefully all will be good Macca, you know the saying only the good die young, and don't know about you, but I'm young until I hit 90, got a few years to go:) Besides I'm   not classified as "good", so  I'll probably make 100, but in the world as it, I'm not sure I want to last that long. 

Don

Edited by Aussieflyer38
  • Like 2

On 6/15/2020 at 1:11 AM, Aussieflyer38 said:

Guess I should have owned up to this before, but 82 and a bit :) Sorry can't give you a broad smile cause me teeth might fall out - oh hell :lol: told you.

Don

I too am 82 and a bit - 5/22/1938 - curious about yours.

On 7/1/2020 at 6:06 AM, Aussieflyer38 said:

Hopefully all will be good Macca, you know the saying only the good die young, and don't know about you, but I'm young until I hit 90, got a few years to go:) Besides I'm   not classified as "good", so  I'll probably make 100, but in the world as it, I'm not sure I want to last that long. 

Don

Not the world I grew up in Don. :(  

• Like 2

Speaking of Age - and yardsticks -  it used to be said that you knew you were getting old when policemen

and the local priest started to look very Young  - even if they were in their 40s/50s.

Here's another - today I learned that the Brisbane Story Bridge was 80 years old - and I already knew

I was older than The Sydney Harbour Bridge - that makes 2 -

so I must check up on the Nipon - Clippon  Auckland Bridge in the Shaky Isles - to see if I can beat that for a hat trick

• Haha 2

I am 83, and like the rest of you I am falling apart.  

It used to be only one thing at a time, but alas, my body has learned to multi-task.

The constant pain these ailments cause has increased and the level goes up with each failure.

My brain, hearing, and eyesight, not wanting to be left out, are going along with the general plan.

Other than that I seen to be doing OK.

My (insert your favorite curse words here) doctor told me that I should last at least another 20 years.

I know that he is a wise man because he stayed out of punch in the nose range as he gave me the good news.

I feel that the good get to die young so that they can avoid these wonderful 70 plus years, and me as a reward for my pre 50 behavior, the Good Lord decided that I should be rewarded with the life span that I deserve.

I should have listened to my Mama. 

Gypsy

• Like 1

Hey Gipsy - g'day from Downunder

Baton Rouge - Louisiana

Is that the place where

"magnolia blossoms round everybody's door and the folks keep eating possum until they cant eat no more"

Believe it not - for some reason I can't  get that #$%^&& song out of my old brain:(

• Haha 2

On 7/6/2020 at 1:06 AM, John Heaton said:

Hey Gipsy - g'day from Downunder

Baton Rouge - Louisiana

Is that the place where

"magnolia blossoms round everybody's door and the folks keep eating possum until they cant eat no more"

Believe it not - for some reason I can't  get that #$%^&& song out of my old brain:(

Well the Magnolia's are still here but we ate all of the Possum's.

Ain't Earworms so much fun.

Enjoy your winter.

Gypsy

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 5:34 AM, John Heaton said:

Speaking of Age - and yardsticks -  it used to be said that you knew you were getting old when policemen

and the local priest started to look very Young  - even if they were in their 40s/50s.

Here's another - today I learned that the Brisbane Story Bridge was 80 years old - and I already knew

I was older than The Sydney Harbour Bridge - that makes 2 -

so I must check up on the Nipon - Clippon  Auckland Bridge in the Shaky Isles - to see if I can beat that for a hat trick

Yep, time just flew by . 

Yesterday my youngest Granddaughter turned 36.

I just looked up the Golden Gate Bridge and yes, I am older by 2 years.

We are all a gaggle of Old Coots and I am glad to be here.

Gypsy

• Like 3

On 7/5/2020 at 11:06 AM, adambar said:

Not the world I grew up in Don. :(  

Me either Adam. A a kid we could go shopping and leave the house unlocked and never worry about getting robbed. Nobody got mugged, and if   someone was murdered, it was OMG what is the world coming to. Guess we found out! :unsure:

Don

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

Yep, time just flew by . 

Yesterday my youngest Granddaughter turned 36.

I just looked up the Golden Gate Bridge and yes, I am older by 2 years.

We are all a gaggle of Old Coots and I am glad to be here.

Gypsy

Sheesh - my memory not being what it was - I forgot the Golden Gate - that's 3 famous bridges in my lifetime

but I do remember Bing Crosby in the film about the building of it:D

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Me either Adam. A a kid we could go shopping and leave the house unlocked and never worry about getting robbed. Nobody got mugged, and if   someone was murdered, it was OMG what is the world coming to. Guess we found out! :unsure:

Don

I was born in 1946 so I am a relative junior but I also grew up in the era when you could leave your front and back doors open at night during the summer for air conditioning. Also if you went away for a holiday you could give your neighbour your house key so they could feed your pets while you were gone.

• Like 3

I bet that your parents even let you out to ride your bike and go to the woods and lake with your friends without adult supervision as long as you were home for supper! Heck your parents probably even told you to go and play and quit saying you were bored! What were they thinking!

• Like 4

I spent 8 years growing up on a farm. I had 2 cows to milk each morning before breakfast then go to school. It was a daily routine for me but something I loved. On frosty winter mornings I would dip my hands in the warm milk to warm them up. Being a sheep farm we had a good supply of meat.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Patrick Cox said:

I spent 8 years growing up on a farm. I had 2 cows to milk each morning before breakfast then go to school. It was a daily routine for me but something I loved. On frosty winter mornings I would dip my hands in the warm milk to warm them up. Being a sheep farm we had a good supply of meat.

Sounds great to me Patrick, I always had a love for the land. Closest I got was ten acres out side of Brisbane Wivenhoe way.  Three horses and two dogs. We had four young boys then, who loved the freedom to wander and play Huckleberry Flynn. We had a dairy farm adjoining with a heap of cows and a few sheep, so they got to experience a bit of the good country life. Wonderful memories. The worst part was it had to end, as the boys grew up they needed the metro area to further their education and find jobs. I still browse through our photo collection every so often and relive that part of our past. 

Don

• Like 2

Talking about acreage - when I worked in WVA, we elected to live on the Ohio side of the river and bought a place in 'Wolf Creek Holler'.  Nine and a half acres, mostly up the side of a hill but we had grape vines, tomatoes, corn and a little pond complete with four resident mallards.  My Barn had a 'Mail Pouch' tobacco ad painted on the side and inside was a Ford 8N with brush hog and other PTO attachments.  What a life but it became a 'dead end' jobwise so we bid back to Alaska.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 6:36 PM, flyingleaf said:

Hey guys pay attention this is important: " Talk to yourself. There are times you need expert advice.:D 

And the second thing I've noticed that people my age look much older than I.:rolleyes::D

Stay safe my Friends.:)

I quit talking to myself when I realized that I lost most of my arguments!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

G'day - fellow old coots

What's your reaction to the youngster on the block - MSFS - sometimes called MS2020

now that the videos are coming thick and fast.

Personally - I will keep my P3D 4.5 - because it looks like I wont be able to fly my oldy birds

around in the newbie - but would love to be able to use my hangar to  create old time flight journeys  now that

MS have opened up the World for us

- imagine the trip England to Australia over 5/6days in the Qantas Imperial Airways Sunderland/ Catalina Flying boat 

Hello John,

there are two topics already, directly concerned with the new simulator and well stocked with your posts and opinions.

I am disappointed that you still feel the need to ignore my request not to litter the rest of the forum with such posts.

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello John,

there are two topics already, directly concerned with the new simulator and well stocked with your posts and opinions.

I am disappointed that you still feel the need to ignore my request not to litter the rest of the forum with such posts.

Ok Nick - Then please remove it 

I made the wrong assumption that the OCC was somewhat different to the Gen forum and little had been forthcoming

from my peers - and I assure you that I had no intention of infringing any of your restrictions to the 2 topics.