The Old Coots Club

With apologies to all:

Morris, an 82 year-old man, went to the doctor to get a physical.
A few days later, the doctor saw Morris walking down the street with a gorgeous young woman on his arm.
A couple of days later, the doctor spoke to Morris and said: "You're really doing great, aren't you?"
Morris replied: "Just doing what you said, Doc. Get a hot mamma and be cheerful."
The doctor said: "I didn't say that. I said, You've got a heart murmur - be careful."

• Haha 3

Just flown into KIND Indianapolis from KCMH Port Columbus.  Only a short flight but what lovely countryside it was all the way.  Absolutely beautiful.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JohnY said:

Just flown into KIND Indianapolis from KCMH Port Columbus.  Only a short flight but what lovely countryside it was all the way.  Absolutely beautiful.

I've done this flight too, a few times. Except that I landed at Greenwood Municipal (KHFY) which is a GA airport on the southeast side of Indianapolis (an ORBX freeware airport).  You're absolutely right, it's a beautiful flight over great scenery. 

Ken

Here's a flight for you John.  Depart Huntington, WVA (KHTS) heading westbound - eventual destination PAMR (Merrill Field, Anchorage) - aircraft Cessna 120 - distance 4100 miles.  Did this real life back in '77, weather was perfect and time enroute 4 1/2 days.  If you're interested, I'll give you my route, overnight spots etc.  Price of gas is higher now so take your best plastic.

• Like 1

A man was out walking one day and went by a retirement home. As he passed the front lawn, he saw nine old ladies basking in the sun in lounge chairs. When he looked closer he realized that they were all stark naked.

He went to the door and rang the bell. When the director answered the door, the man asked if he realized there were nine naked old ladies lying in the sun on the front lawn.

The director said, “Yes” and went on to explain that the old ladies were all retired prostitutes living at the retirement home, and they were having a yard sale.

• Haha 3

Yes Ken, my trouble is I have all of U.S. Orbx airports but don't know where they are!  What I've yet to do I think is place them on a decently detailed map.  I've got a fair idea of European geography but my knowledge of the United States is limited to the main towns and cities.  So, KHFY Greenwood Municipal could have been in Timbuctoo for all I knew!  I've been looking for a big map which shows the whole of the U.S.  The trouble is, they are available but then you find they don't detail the smaller places. 

I have Plan G but find that's not as good as it used to be.  My version no longer shows the range rings etc.  I'll have to have  a look see if Tim has produced an update.

Thanks for the suggested journey Oldendirt.  Sounds interesting.  I've taken a note of it and may well embark on it but will choose my own route, probably flying the 'Duke' (still my favourite aircraft) most of the way.

Thanks for the good laugh Adambar.  My wife enjoys these stories too!

5 hours ago, JohnY said:

Thanks for the suggested journey Oldendirt.  Sounds interesting.  I've taken a note of it and may well embark on it but will choose my own route, probably flying the 'Duke' (still my favourite aircraft) most of the way.

I'd have used a Duke myself but all I had was the 120 - thought I'd sold it but had to come from Anchorage to bring it back - did sell it it Alaska and got the Pacer.

• Like 1

I'm with you dexthorm.  I've got to go to the hospital later this morning.  They've called me in.  Don't know why.  I've got to take all my pills with me which makes me suspicious.  D'you think they're going to 'put me down'?

13 hours ago, JohnY said:

D'you think they're going to 'put me down'?

I once had a doctor who served an apprenticeship as an electrician then done a Vetinary Science degree and then did A general medicine degree. I mentioned it to him once and his reply was "If I can't cure you or spark you up I can legally put you down."

• Haha 2

On 10/15/2019 at 9:47 AM, JohnY said:

I'm with you dexthorm.  I've got to go to the hospital later this morning.  They've called me in.  Don't know why.  I've got to take all my pills with me which makes me suspicious.  D'you think they're going to 'put me down'?

They ask you to provide your pills because, if they keep you in, they won't have to pay extra to supply your drugs. So it's better you have your own with you for cost and continuity purposes.

I go in next Tuesday for another cystoscopy to check up on my bladder cancer. O joy, O joy, O joy!

They didn't put me down and sent me home unscathed and not really knowing why I'd been.  After all the normal tests, we were sent in to the consultant and spent most of the time chatting about a book he had just read by a chap who has been in Weishien Prison of war camp where Sheila and her family were incarcerated during the war.  Come to think of it, I needn't have been in the room at all!:rolleyes:

• Like 1

I don't envy you that visit fizzelle and hope the news is good.

A friend of mine who coincidentally also loves on Yorkshire and has the same problem as you seems to be keeping advancement of that awful complaint at bay.

I certainly wish you all the best.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, W2DR said:

I, too, hope all goes well Fizzelle. I'm also a victim of bladder cancer and I know what you're going through. The cystos aren't much fun but it's really important to keep doing them. I wish you well.........Doug

Hi Doug

I prefer not to think of myself as a "victim" or I'm fighting a "battle". I prefer to think of it as a minor inconvenience and part of the circle of life!

Thank you for your thoughts; much appreciated.

Fizz

• Like 1

On 10/16/2019 at 2:40 AM, Fizzelle said:

I go in next Tuesday for another cystoscopy to check up on my bladder cancer. O joy, O joy, O joy!

21 hours ago, W2DR said:

I'm also a victim of bladder cancer and I know what you're going through.

One of the disadvantages of being an Old Coot is that we learn firsthand an awful lot about medicine. Wishing you all the best, Doug and Fizz. 

11 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

One of the disadvantages of being an Old Coot is that we learn firsthand an awful lot about medicine. Wishing you all the best, Doug and Fizz. 

On the other hand I've learned an awful lot more about my "unmentionables"!

Cheers Rodger

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:33 PM, Rodger Pettichord said:

Ah yes, the Golden years. The doctors get the gold and we just get old(er)..................

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, JohnY said:

I wish I could get rid of my cough.  Any ideas?

I suffered with a chronic cough for years that was caused by a mild post nasal drip which happened mostly at night during sleep.  [ of course smoking 1+ pack of cigs a day for over 42 years had nothing to do with the cough, my COPD, well maybe. ]

I finally got rid of mine several years ago using Flonase backed up with Vicks Vapo Rub.

Dale

• Like 1

Whiskey.  Ugh.  Can't stand the stuff!    Taking cough mixture.  Love the taste...doesn't do much for the cough though.  Cough still hanging around and kept us awake last night.  I'd suggest I sleep in the spare bedroom but the last time (years ago) I suggested that I was threatened with the meat knife!

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JohnY said:

Last post ....mine.....23rd October.

Where have you all gone?

Could be UFO abductions......the aliens are fascinated with us, apparently.

They've been watching us for centuries and still can't grasp how a species as primitive as ours has lasted this long.

Or, possibly, we are simply a zoo for them.....  maybe they simply like the entertainment.

:blink:

• Haha 1