The Old Coots Club

Jeapers!  Your experiences as boys were virtually identical to mine; conkers, marbles etc.  I'm sure you all weren't where you are now!  How on earth did you finally end up living half way round the world both ways?

I think its only Fizelle and me that seem to be 'stay at home Brits.  That is apart from holidays and service of course.

4 hours ago, JohnY said:

Jeapers!  Your experiences as boys were virtually identical to mine; conkers, marbles etc.  I'm sure you all weren't where you are now!  How on earth did you finally end up living half way round the world both ways?

I think its only Fizelle and me that seem to be 'stay at home Brits.  That is apart from holidays and service of course.

Well John, I've just had 2 weeks in Cannes and in 3 weeks I'm off to Norway for another 2. Stay at home? Nah!

12 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

Nice post Terry but you omit certain important details. What, for example, were the "other treasures"? We need to know these things. Can't stand it when people don't give the full details, and I don't have any imagination at all!

Spill!

Every boy had his collection of marbles - from favorite 'shooter' to the not so good ones you forfeited when you lost.  No 'steelies' please.

5 hours ago, JohnY said:

My parents divorced at the end of the war and my new (step) dad, an American airman, whisked my mum to Denver, CO.  Unfortunately, at the time, GI brides could not arrive with children so there was a delay of seven years before I too arrived.  Lots of this and that involved but that's the condensed story.

Holidays and service don't count Fizelle.  I notice only Olderndirt replied to the question.  What are all you others hiding?

Hey Guys (and girls), great news! Yes I know that wasn't a proper sentence but I'm trying to be modern.

Anyway I have bought some new computer kit. Let me set the scene. You see previously I would download the True Earth from ORBX and it took about a month if I left the computer on all the time. That's because I have a rather old 300 BAUD Modem with acoustic "ear muffs" that cover the phone diaphragm and mouthpiece. It was pretty reliable and I was happy with it but I really wanted more speed. So I splashed out in my local TANDY store and bought a new one!

They had two models in stock, a 1200 BAUD and a new and snazzy 2400 BAUD. The difference is that the 2400 BAUD plugged straight into one of my 8 bit cards on the motherboard, while the 1200 BAUD still required the acoustic muffs. And the best news? It only cost $900 dollars as they were having a 25% off sale.

Now I have it all connected I have to say it's marvellous. I've been experimenting and reckon I can now download a typical ORBX file in about 10 days.

Joy, O joy, O joy!

If anyone can beat those download speeds I simply won't believe you!

Even better I have just found out I can make something called Voice Over Internet Protocol calls to my family. I'll let you know how I get on once I've sussed it all out. The Times they really are a chang'in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

can I have your bean tins and waxed string please, now that you don't need them any more?

Oh very funny Nick, I'm sure.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were making fun of me.

• Haha 1

Wish I knew what your were talking about.  Anyway, congratulations seem the order of the day, so I wish you all the best with your BAUD stuff Fizelle whatever it is.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

Oh very funny Nick, I'm sure.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you were making fun of me.

Speaking of fun - how many have mentioned how much you look like the new P.M. - let your hair grow out a little.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, JohnY said:

Wish I knew what your were talking about.  Anyway, congratulations seem the order of the day, so I wish you all the best with your BAUD stuff Fizelle whatever it is.

I've been watching the show 'Harlots' where bauds are frequently mentioned - it may be spelled differently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, olderndirt said:

I've been watching the show 'Harlots' where bauds are frequently mentioned - it may be spelled differently.

I think your thinking of Broads, as in Norfolk Broads. Although in my case I'm not fussy!! I don't mind 'em from anywhere!

Edited by Fizzelle
  • Haha 1

And, here's another thing.  I've wasted the whole afternoon so far struggling to scan and print a document for my wife.  Top page - perfectly simple - Reverse side bloody near impossible!

Sorry chaps, although I've finally done it using the scanner software rather than the computer, it leaves me completely astonished that they ever got anything up in the air using bloody computers!!!

• Haha 2

I've got another moan now.  I've just had a most enjoyable flight from Cheyenne Regl to Jackson Hole.  Unfortunately, the flight was spoiled at the end because the b....y.controller didn't know the level of the surrounding land or the airfield!  She addled my brains with her ridiculous nagging to descend to 7000' when the mountainous ground I was flying over was 9000'!  The airport itself was at 7,500' or thereabouts!

If traffic controllers don't know the terrain and altitude of the ground, why on earth do they presume to give us altitude instructions at all especially when we are landing.  I don't know, but I'm assuming this doesn't happen in real life so why have they built such stupid commands into the sim'?! :banghead:

I think I'll go and read my Kindle.

John

You're now in the PilotEdge coverage area.  PilotEdge provides real live controllers who can read a chart and know the terrain and the airports.  There is coverage 15 hours a day, and the coverage area largely coincides with Orbx PNW, NorCal, SoCal and Rocky Mountain regions.  They have an excellent training program,  give a two week free trial membership.  I love it, so much that I've been flying the West Coast for months.  Take a look.

www.pilotedge.net

Ken

Thanks for that Ken.  I'll take a look and let you know how I get on.  However, I like variety and never know in the Western  World where I am going to fly next so I need a wide ranging ATC that'll cover that.   

The truth is I spend most of my flying time over Europe and don't spend a lot of time flying in America.  

John,

One nice feature of PilotEdge is that you can suspend your membership when you leave the coverage area, And reactivate it when you return.  Look at the coverage map and you'll see that they cover a lot of the western half of the U.S.  Although your Phenom could run circles around my Mooney we could do a flight together next week if you like.

Thanks for the info Ken and the kind offer to fly together.  I've had a look at Pilot Edge and have decided to give it a miss for the time being.  As I said I fly mostly in Western Europe.  If it was available for the whole world rather than for a relatively small part of the US, I would be tempted but as it is I don't want to feel restricted to the one area.   Thanks again.

That's fine John, whatever suits best.  Offer is always open, for you or anyone else.

When outside of PiloetEdge coverage I use VoxATC, but I'm going to take a look at the program you're using.

Ken