The Old Coots Club

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 3:35 AM, Triplane said:

Neither Ian. Although my father's family immigrated here from Scotland is was a long time before The Clearances. Every once in a while one of those "Scottish things" just slips out. When I was growing up in California a family moved in just a couple of houses away. They had a boy my same age (10) and we became the best of friends...after I figured out what language he was speaking :). The family came from a small town near Aberdeen (I can't remember the name) and his (their) accent was like nothing I had ever heard before. Eventually I got the hang of it and I still find myself saying things like "wee typo"..........Doug

Aye, aye loon, foo are ye dein? I guess that is the type of question you would have had from your neighbours.

Broad Doric is a North east scotland dialect, in my mind more a language on its own.

Joe

After all this time of flying, I never thought I would have to give up on a flight but I've had to today.

I thought I would do the short flight from LEBB Bilbao to LEAS Asturias.  Because it was short I decided to fly VFR - my first mistake.  Half way I had to transfer to IFR and descend to 8000'. Don't know why.  I think its possibly a Spanish Military controlled zone.  Anyway, that was alright I got on to IFR and obeyed the instructions, got on to 'approach' but couldn't see the airport. let alone the runway. 

Despite 'Go-arounds' I couldn't find it.  The IFR became useless and in the end I crashed the bloody thing into the sea.  I got the door open and this next bit is imagination; we got out and swam to the beach.  And, wet through, we got picked up in a small boat and never did see Asturias.  It took us to Santander.

When I look at my atlas Bilbao is there but there's no such place as Asturias.  Has Orbx dreamed this one up I wonder?

Oh, and my wife and I have visited Bilbao.  Lovely place and home to the famous Guggenheim musem.  The building alone is a work of art and worth seeing.  It's a fabulous piece of achitecture.

Edited by JohnY

1 hour ago, JohnY said:

When I look at my atlas Bilbao is there but there's no such place as Asturias.  Has Orbx dreamed this one up I wonder?

Hello John,

I read that it was the Visigoths who dreamed up Asturias in 718 AD, some time before Orbx was founded.

In those days, it was apparently a kingdom.

It's not so much a place as a province these days.

• Haha 1

Thanks for that info' Nick.

I'm going to give France especially and Spain a miss from now on.  Well, until we get some decent Orbx Scenery for them.

I don't learn,  I've been flying there for the last couple of days and everything has ended in failure.  I've noticed before that the French traffic controllers just don't know where you are and even misplace their own airports.  Also they bring you down to 1000' over hills that are 3000'.  Idiots!

Well that got that off my chest.  I'm now going to read my latest Western on my Kindle which is what I should have been doing this afternoon rather than wasting my time flying over non Orbx scenery.

Please don't talk about rashes and itches Rodger unless you have a cure.  If so, I would like to know it instead of having to smother myself in various creams that may or may not do the job on any one day or night.

Well, everybody knows this Flyingleaf.  There are rules about how fast you drive, when you are allowed to put the dishwasher on and when you can change you shirt, underwear and pants.  My wife hasn't quite cottoned on to the trousers and slippers yet,  but give her time.;)

• Haha 1

On 9/26/2019 at 3:33 AM, JohnY said:

Well, everybody knows this Flyingleaf.  There are rules about how fast you drive, when you are allowed to put the dishwasher on and when you can change you shirt, underwear and pants.  My wife hasn't quite cottoned on to the trousers and slippers yet,  but give her time.;)

As you well know, John, it's a wise man who obeys those rules. :)

• Haha 2

I'm suffering with a bit of nostalgia. 

This conversation has taken me back to the days just after the second world war before I met my wife.  A whole gang of us very young teenagers (14-17) from the local YMCA used to go to the local town halls on Saturday evenings where they had various dance and jazz bands playing.  Ted Heath was popular and various small groups who had formed dance bands, so was Humphrey Lyttleton (spelling?).  But he was Dixieland Jazz and was only really suitable for Jiving and for me, jumping around!  Being trained in ballroom dancing I could never get the tempo right for jazz. 

On Sunday evenings we went to the local cinema.  During one of these evenings we saw Jane Russel showing her big chest in 'The Outlaw' which caused quite a stir, and a bit of sleeplessness after.

Many a couple got together at these do's with marriage as a result later on.

What is surprising is that this all took place in East London, a crime centre according to the journalists,  but there were never ever any problems.  And for safety, we took the girls home to their front doors, usually with a brief chaste kiss of thanks as reward.

Courtesy at all times was the norm' and expected in those days.  Bad behaviour, especially with the girls, was punishable by ostracism.  Or rarely, by fists.

Then, at seventeen, I met Sheila and it all stopped.   And I didn't miss it, or my friends a bit!  We were mostly split up by then anyway due to gradually being called up for National Service, usually in the army, or sometimes, the air force.  The navy didn't seem to take, or need, National Servicemen.

Well, I got that off my chest!

• Like 2

Two elderly couples were having dinner in one of their homes. After dinner the ladies went to wash the dishes and the men were chatting. Hey Bob last night we went to this fantastic reasonable priced restaurant. Man that was one of the best meals I've ever had.  Bob says: Wow, Earl that sounds great what is the name of that restaurant? Earl sits back looks at the ceiling and asks: What is the name of that flower that's red and has thorns on its stalk? Bob says: y Uh you mean rose? Earl; Yup that's it and turns his head towards the kitchen and yells: Hey "Rose" what's the name of that restaurant we ate at last night?:D 

1 hour ago, flyingleaf said:

Two elderly couples were having dinner in one of their homes. After dinner the ladies went to wash the dishes and the men were chatting. Hey Bob last night we went to this fantastic reasonable priced restaurant. Man that was one of the best meals I've ever had.  Bob says: Wow, Earl that sounds great what is the name of that restaurant? Earl sits back looks at the ceiling and asks: What is the name of that flower that's red and has thorns on its stalk? Bob says: y Uh you mean rose? Earl; Yup that's it and turns his head towards the kitchen and yells: Hey "Rose" what's the name of that restaurant we ate at last night?:D 

Oh, man, I couldn't help it. I read your punch line and spit coffee through my nose. Thanks, flyingleaf, I think. :lol:

• Haha 1

ha ha   Ok, my turn.  My Dad, who is mostly deaf told this one to me.

Two old guys were chatting when one said to the other "these new hearing aids are wonderful.  I can even hear the birds chirping now!"  His buddy says "that's great Jack, what kind is it?"

Jack replies  "O, about 6:30"

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Rob Abernathy said:

My Dad, who is mostly deaf told this one to me.

Yeah Rob my wife said to me: Y'all should get a "Hearing test". And I said:"I don't need "Hair on my Chest" 

Edited by flyingleaf