The Old Coots Club

2 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Terry, I respectfully disagree. We have had a great deal of fun wandering around in the dark wondering just what we were talking about. That's Old Coot at its best. :lol:

I don't wander nor do I wonder. I know exactly what I'm talking about. It's all you other guys that I can't figure out..............:lol:

Thanks Triplane, I was going to post a correction to my poor Scots.  Yes clishmaclaver, a hullabaloo ending with no-one remembering what set it off....

Just a 'wee' typo...Triplane are you recently from Scotland or did you grow up in one of the areas of the US heavily settled by the Scots after Culloden and the Highland Clearances?

Neither Ian. Although my father's family immigrated here from Scotland is was a long time before The Clearances. Every once in a while one of those "Scottish things" just slips out. When I was growing up in California a family moved in just a couple of houses away. They had a boy my same age (10) and we became the best of friends...after I figured out what language he was speaking :). The family came from a small town near Aberdeen (I can't remember the name) and his (their) accent was like nothing I had ever heard before. Eventually I got the hang of it and I still find myself saying things like "wee typo"..........Doug

That's a coincidence.  When I was at school I had a friend who came from Scotland.  We did our homework together for a while.  The problem was, he was much cleverer than me so it wasn't an equal partnership.  After a while while still friendly, we developed different friendships.  He went on to University and I went out to work!

My maternal grandfather was born in Scotland, a Campbell.  I dated a young lady for years during high school whose name was MacDonald.  Her father, who was born in Scotland, had serious difficulties with me for a while. 

• Haha 1

I am an American mutt -- English, Scottish, French, and German. The Scottish quarter is MacDonald, My father's proudest accomplishment was when he visited Scotland and met some distant relatives then was invited to play The Old Course. How did we come to America? Like so many, the Pettibone/Petticord/Petticoat (take your pick at the border) came to Virginia as indentured servants/laborers. This was in the mid 1700s. It's been all downhill since :lol:

Doc_Z I can fully understand the father's problems.  The Duke of Argyll, chief of the Campbells fought on the side of the English.  He was wise and did well, but of course McDonald, Lord of the Isles on the other side lost everything except continuous dislike of the Campbells.  My mother was a McDonald, and my grandfather remained a gimlet eyed hater of the Campbells...never walk in front of a Campbell we were told X generations later.

Doc Z:  I am a full-bodied Scots descendant on both sides....but by the 18th Century Mc and Mac became interchangeable, though mac meaning 'get of" with the word get having a special meaning in this context.  We are McPhails or MacP, McVailes, McVaille, McFail, McPhain, septs of Cameron of Lochiel, as a result of the vagaries of  spelling, indenture forms (that was a tough way to come, Rodger), clerks, and a general British disdain for anything Scots.  No Mc is acceptable in Scotland as well,  the change from a non-literate Gaelic speaking community to one of the best educated in Europe because of the Presbyterian concern for personal interpretation of the scriptures led to these variants becoming common-place.

Just to clarify do you mean:

"No, MC is acceptable in Scotland " or,

"No MC is acceptable in Scotland"

Big difference if you meant to put or imply a comma after "No"!

Fascinating discussion and very educational,  thanks.

Fizzelle: to be deservedly corrected by a Yorkshireman is a saddening experience.  However, as it is now an ambiguous statement, and I think I will leave the reader to insert or not a comma. It means I can't be wrong.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:48 PM, Gypsy Pilot said:

Please reply with your age if you can remember it.  

88 last count in January. Still flying (in my bedroom on the computer). Memory still works well (when I am awake).:lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lawrence aldrich said:

Reading this topic makes it clear to me what actually caused the British Empire to collapse.

You talked yourselves into oblivion.

You should all relax and have Brexit in bed.    O0

:wub:

Lawrence, the British Empire did not collapse, it just went underground for a while.;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lawrence aldrich said:

Are you inferring that it will someday re-emerge?

:ph34r:

It may...just as the War Of Northern Aggression is undergoing a brief pause (it's amazing what I learned living in Georgia for a while :))...........

Me to myself; 'Be careful here John, I could get up Nick's nose.  Anyway, you're all wrong, I think we're all in a Commonwealth now.  And I'm not sure if we're still in the EU!

Edited by JohnY
wording

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's one I hadn't heard before;

NEW HOME WANTED !!!!!
Lexi, she’s an 8 week-old German Shepherd puppy, I bought Lexi as a surprise for my wife but it turns out she is allergic to dogs so I am now urgently looking to find her a new home.
She is 35 years old, a beautiful and caring woman who drives, is a great cook, good with kids and keeps a clean house
Someone please take her as she's doing my nut in!

Edited yo remove the language.  I suspect you can use your imagination for that.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I suppose everyone's away on their holidays.   EXCEPT ME!  And I'm bored.  Come on someone.  Write something.  Even if its Rodger flogging his new book!

What holidays, we are permanently on holiday according to our kids. Plus our Granny Smith apple tree has got a disease or something so no more apple pie or crumble as it will probably have to come down. Plus we have some decking in our garden with a bit of decorative Grey stones  and our little grandson who’s four fell over on it as he runs every where like a four year old does. So that has to go and we started this morning to remove it but after an hour or so we were knackered. So stopped that, probably carry on tomorrow as it will have to go, and it’s only five months till Christmas. Bah humbug  :lol:. Derek.

I just noticed 'Frizelle's' mention of old chestnuts.  Do you Brits remember 'Conkers'.  The trees were invariably on private property which added to their basic worth.  I remember my string was more precious than fish 'n' chips.  It was one of our little boyhood check outs right along with marbles in the gutter.   

Cheat by baking them or soaking them in vinegar and you got a Champion. I remember that during the war (WW2) our favorite cheggy tree was in the Grounds of a stately home, "millmount" which housed a Group of WRAC's, and the girls let us into the grounds to get our conkers, plus they gave us badges, stripes, belts and other treasures. Terry.

Edited by teecee

2 hours ago, teecee said:

Cheat by baking them or soaking them in vinegar and you got a Champion. I remember that during the war (WW2) our favorite cheggy tree was in the Grounds of a stately home, "millmount" which housed a Group of WRAC's, and the girls let us into the grounds to get our conkers, plus they gave us badges, stripes, belts and other treasures. Terry.

Nice post Terry but you omit certain important details. What, for example, were the "other treasures"? We need to know these things. Can't stand it when people don't give the full details, and I don't have any imagination at all!

Spill!

• Haha 1