The Old Coots Club

7 hours ago, adambar said:

Old man was sitting on the examining table in the doctor's office having his hearing checked. The doctor poked the light scope in the old man's ear and said, "hey you have a suppository in your ear!"

"Rats," said the old man. "Now I know where my hearing aid went." :D

That happened to my neighbor also. But he was having a colonoscopy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

To save myself too much embarrassment by posting this elsewhere on the forum and all the youngsters

making remarks  - like  "silly old " whatsit - I feel safe here

What the hell is this new thing called "Discord" every one seems to want me to join ???

In my day - "Discord" meant disagreements     :angry:   

Maybe a good name for a forum on 4 different flight sims and their merits;)

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 1

Hello John,

Discord is a place where people can meet and exchange messages by text, voice and video.

In the context of flight simulation, a great many developers of all kinds have Discord servers

that one may be invited to join.

Orbx now have one as well.

This doesn't mean that these forums are redundant or that one must join Discord.

It's just another way to communicate and in my opinion, a very good one.

• Like 1

Multiplayer simmers use these types of channels to do all the private chat and keeping aircraft radios free for official calls and communications with ATC etc. IMHO there are certain privacy issues that I do not like about Discord but that is my personal opinion only. My flying group still use Teamspeak.

• Like 1

Hello,

I am reading this:

Discord Inc. says it now has more than 250 million registered users, up from 130 million a year ago, and that 850 million messages are exchanged daily.

I respect your point of view about privacy, mine is that if they can find me in 250 million users, then they are welcome to read what I wrote.

There are problems, but they are the type that are easily avoided and nothing to do with privacy.

Staying away from unregulated gaming channels is the best solution.

I find that very easy to do, as I don't do gaming, beyond those that involve Orbx products, of course.

• Like 2

I dunno what it is either but a couple of days after taking a look there I found my ntuser.dat contained hundreds of .lua files for games I've never even heard of. Coincidence? Maybe. But I'm not going back to find out. Makes me wonder about other things that might be going on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Aw!! - gee ! - thanks for that Adam

Coming from a bloke with 21555 posts - you must have been around since another predecessor with the name

At my age - I doubt very much that  I will match your score - or become a VIP member - well done yourself

• Like 2

8 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Aw!! - gee ! - thanks for that Adam

Coming from a bloke with 21555 posts - you must have been around since another predecessor with the name

At my age - I doubt very much that  I will match your score - or become a VIP member - well done yourself

Mom is proud of uou both!

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

G/Day Pat - from now on - thou art known as Hoppy Cox - and we all hope that you have recovered

BTW - the page number - 21 -  is a lucky number and is a reminder of a certain date and party's of

Oh! -   so many years ago  and all try to remember the day - Al - Al - whatisname? - permitting :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2021 at 11:29 AM, Patrick Cox said:

Wow. 4 months in hospital and rehab with a broken leg and this page is still on the same number as when I went into hospital.

Hope you're on the mend mate, sounds nasty. The old coots must'nt be rushed :)

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, dexthom said:

I changed my car horn to gunshot sounds.

I had one of those multi-tone musical horns on my first car, a Cortina Mk II, that went (you'll have to imagine this), "Da Dee Daa Daa", twice. The police, bless them, got the Government to ban them in case people mistook the sound for a siren. Really??? Spoilsports!

I also connected a bull-horn to my Lambretta 125 scooter - it was fun to see people shift out of the way!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 9/23/2021 at 4:12 AM, Fizzelle said:

I had one of those multi-tone musical horns on my first car, a Cortina Mk II, that went (you'll have to imagine this), "Da Dee Daa Daa", twice. The police, bless them, got the Government to ban them in case people mistook the sound for a siren. Really??? Spoilsports!

I also connected a bull-horn to my Lambretta 125 scooter - it was fun to see people shift out of the way!

Don't worry, somebody will complain and you will have to remove it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, dexthom said:

I have made it to my 88th birthday and with luck, I can still walk around the block but I don't want to.

Well done old chap - 2 up on moi

I assume that you know what Bingo is in the USA - and a Bingo call is 'Two Fat Ladies' - 88

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm now 90 years of age and most of the time I still don't know what the hell I'm doing.  Nevertheless, its better than the alternative...I suppose?!

I've just found this space again after a long absence.  Nice to see most of all you old guys are still around.

• Like 2

Nice one John. Good to see you reignite the old coots. I don't consider myself an old coot yet but have always enjoyed the banter. I would love to know the age variation of regular forum contributors. I  have just turned 57. All the best mate.

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 2

Turned 65 on March 5th and got myself a motorcycle after a hiatus from biking of 40 years. Will be in Pension by the end of May. I'm still quite active. I'm running half marathons, go skiing in the winter and mountain biking and hiking in the summer, play the guitar and love footbal (soccer), but only watching these days, not playing any more.

Uh, and yes, there is this thing called aviation/flight simming. :D

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 2/17/2018 at 7:18 AM, Gypsy Pilot said:

My impending 81st. birthday got me wondering how many of us are past 75?

Please reply with your age if you can remember it.  

If you are past 75 and if somebody asks you  Are you An Old Coot?

Look them in the eye and answer, You Bet Your Grey Tail Feathers I am.

(Borrowed from the Turtle Club) 

Dale 

On 2/17/2018 at 7:18 AM, Gypsy Pilot said:

90 and still here!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So are we saying that an Old Coot is 75+ years?

It leaves me on the horns of a dilemma! I coming up to 72, but I wannabe an Old Coot. Should I wish my life away, or will you accept that Cootism starts at 70 maybe?

I wish life wasn't so complicated. 🙄

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, John Burgess said:

I'm a mere youngster and not sure if I'll ever get to join this wonderful club.

My new years resolution (at age 66) was that I wouldn't get any older.

Can't see the point of it.

I've already got my old age pension and my bus pass :lol:

All the best,

John

Hi John, and welcome. Come join us at "This Week's Meaningless Topic" a bit further down under the Neil Hill Memorial Lounge. That's a weekly gathering of rascals who would welcome a perennial 66-year-old.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, John Burgess said:

I'm a mere youngster and not sure if I'll ever get to join this wonderful club.

My new years resolution (at age 66) was that I wouldn't get any older.

Can't see the point of it.

I've already got my old age pension and my bus pass :lol:

All the best,

John

You're welcome whatever your age!  Please join us; a bit of "young" blood will do us all good.  Rodge is right, the This Week's Meaningless Topic "Club" certainly would welcome you and your contributions.

Ken

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, TuFun said:

How are you all? It's been quiet in here for some time. 

I'm still here. Not sure about still going strong though. Everything seems to be getting exponentially heavier with each passing year. 

I have just about finished painting the house's exterior, in half-day time slots. Not much simming going on.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...