The Old Coots Club

• 2 weeks later...

All complaints change;  someone tells us how to fix it, or it fixes itself.  I am a happy little Vegimite, Orbx Central cured itself, and all scenery is happily reloaded in v5.  However I am hesitant to go the MSFS way until Orbx redoes the Gold Coast.

1 hour ago, macca22au said:

All complaints change;  someone tells us how to fix it, or it fixes itself.  I am a happy little Vegimite, Orbx Central cured itself, and all scenery is happily reloaded in v5.  However I am hesitant to go the MSFS way until Orbx redoes the Gold Coast.

Hi Macca 

just done the same - not too keen on the new sim - more bugs than on the windscreen -

so I have installed V5 for the first time to have a look  - Central has done all my Ozzie bits and Pieces

just took a flight around home from GC and landed SPT 5 mins ago

seems ok but the colouring seems off - and over sharpened

ow the ell r u

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

While all you gents are dealing with your '2020's' and 'P3D's', I'm financially committed to XP 11.50 which I'm pleased to say has, thus far, presented no problems though their much maligned (betas) were certainly food for thought.

So disappointed with MSFS - and the move across to P3D V5 is not to my liking in the scenery front

for low and slow - that I am actually contemplating reinstalling the new version of XP.

I realize Vulcan etc are a performance upgrade - but how have the sceneries (Orbx TE) come through

the change - and the same question with the aircraft - EG - I have the V flyte stable of A/C and the TE series

56 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

So disappointed with MSFS - and the move across to P3D V5 is not to my liking in the scenery front

for low and slow - that I am actually contemplating reinstalling the new version of XP.

I realize Vulcan etc are a performance upgrade - but how have the sceneries (Orbx TE) come through

the change - and the same question with the aircraft - EG - I have the V flyte stable of A/C and the TE series

If you swing over to the 'screenshot' thread I've posted a couple of Vulkan shots, one featuring the Vflyte turbo Otter.  From what I've seen so far the rendering is noticeably improved and, though my frames are locked at 30, it's smooth as glass.  I have always thought that XP11 presents the Orbx TE scenery at its best. 

9 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

If you swing over to the 'screenshot' thread I've posted a couple of Vulkan shots, one featuring the Vflyte turbo Otter.  From what I've seen so far the rendering is noticeably improved and, though my frames are locked at 30, it's smooth as glass.  I have always thought that XP11 presents the Orbx TE scenery at its best. 

Now that has got me interested - and I do agree TE has always been been better with XP - but somehow - 

I couldn't get XP to give a picture with 4K - but since I had to revert to HD (1080) for P3D and MSFS - that is no longer Important

These shots were very good - 2 questions - what is the RAM of your video card - was that the standard Baron in XP

4 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

Now that has got me interested - and I do agree TE has always been been better with XP - but somehow - 

I couldn't get XP to give a picture with 4K - but since I had to revert to HD (1080) for P3D and MSFS - that is no longer Important

These shots were very good - 2 questions - what is the RAM of your video card - was that the standard Baron in XP

I'm using a GTX1660ti with 6GB vram and an i5-9600k - don' know nuthin' 'bout no Baron - that was a Turbo Otter.

Edited by olderndirt

6 minutes ago, olderndirt said:

I'm using a GTX1660ti with 6GB vram and an i5-9600k - don' know nuthin' 'bout no Baron - that was a Turbo Otter.

Good I use the same CPU and an 8GB vram

as to the Baron - I was referring to your later pics of the smokey ones -

that were brilliant in my colour blind - cataract - filled EyesB)

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, dexthom said:

Well I made it to 87 this week and continue to work with the AI vessels for MSXX.  Having a little bit

of luck but nothing to get excited about.  

Many congratulations -Old Chap- you are just 2 up on me.

Here's hoping we both will still be around when MSXX  - "WAKES" - up to AI vessels ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Doc_Z said:

My mother was a Campbell (grandfather born in Argyll). I dated a MacDonald for a couple of years.  Her father, a Scot, and my grandfather were not at all happy.

During the troubled times in Scotland after King Billy and Queen Mary succeeded her father James (now the King across the water),  the clans were of divided loyalties.  The Campbells of Argyle leaned towards the throne and were thus considered 'persona non grata' among those still loyal to the Stuart family.  Much blood was shed and Campbells continue to have this historic stigma in parts of Scotland.

IN SPITE OF, OR BECAUSE OF MYSELF I have gone to MSFS.  NEARLY 82 AND THE BEGINNINGS OF THE SHAKES, IT HAS SUDDENLY BECOME EASIER to use the simpler version.  I admit as an old professional Geographer I love the photogrammetry, old and coarse that it is in MSFS.

But remember Glencoe, never trust a Campbell or a man with his hair parted in the middle.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, macca22au said:

IN SPITE OF, OR BECAUSE OF MYSELF I have gone to MSFS.  NEARLY 82 AND THE BEGINNINGS OF THE SHAKES, IT HAS SUDDENLY BECOME EASIER to use the simpler version.  I admit as an old professional Geographer I love the photogrammetry, old and coarse that it is in MSFS.

But remember Glencoe, never trust a Campbell or a man with his hair parted in the middle.

Good to see that you are doing well Macca!

On 11/2/2020 at 9:10 PM, macca22au said:

Just now, Gypsy Pilot said:

I too have gone over to MSFS just for the scenery and land use accuracy.  If this had been available when I first got serious about simming I would be around 4K richer now.

I switched to XP-11 and still use it because I want to become a helicopter pilot. (never, never go for a copter flight with me.).  XP11 has great photo real scenery but you need a server bank to store it.  MSFS stores the scenery in the Cloud which works just fine for me tooling around at 100kts.  I love it when the land out the window looks like the real thing.    

Gypsy.

On 11/2/2020 at 7:10 PM, macca22au said:

The transition through 82 is easy, it's 83 that has me concerned :)

17 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

About to turn 78. Nice to know that I am one of the wee young ones on this thread. (One quarter MacDonald)

Still a mere lad of 76.  One-half Campbell, not the soup..

• Haha 2

I.ve said it before --- but I'll just remind you all

when you are older than - Sydney Harbour - Golden Gate - Auckland - Brisbane Bridges -

The Tiger Moth - the Hurricane - the Spitfire ------- and the Pope :----

You are old and beginning to feel it

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John Heaton said:

I.ve said it before --- but I'll just remind you all

when you are older than - Sydney Harbour - Golden Gate - Auckland - Brisbane Bridges -

The Tiger Moth - the Hurricane - the Spitfire ------- and the Pope :----

You are old and beginning to feel it

Definitely past your 'sell by' date.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

On 11/14/2020 at 2:52 AM, olderndirt said:

Fizelle and I are 12 years apart - think back to good old school days.  If I was a sixth former in secondary school, he'd be in his first year of primary.  In those days we were light years apart but those 'lights' are dimming :).

Scary thought! As for your last sentence:

"Do not go gently into that good night, do not give in without a fight..."

We travel quite a bit with one particular couple. The lady just turned 70 and she is always telling me that getting old is just a state-of-mind. And I keep telling her I hope I live 10 more years so that on her 80th birthday I get to see her do a couple of deep-knee bends and then get to ask her about her state-of-mind.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2