We've come a long way in 37 years .

BradB

This was Meig's field in MSFS Version 1.0 dated 1982 :

Meigs.PNG.72a17a0f084b54b415c969859b62917a.PNG

This is Orbx's P3D Version released a few years ago :

Orbx.thumb.PNG.d1411d879034a6dcdf3ae0463cfe6fc0.PNG

And now the future , coming very soon :

PNW.thumb.PNG.ff501d7d68b7e6db7875b434774b334c.PNG

Now a bit of a rant by me , lately I've heard a lot of belly aching about the scenery that Orbx has released or is about to release . I have been around since the early 90's in FS and have seen the amazing changes in how the scenery has changed thru the years . If you want 100% perfection , go out and get your PPL and fly it in RL , if not please let Orbx and team do their job and keep the snide comments to yourself !! .

Cheers

John

2 hours ago, BradB said:

And it is because we, the simmers, were never satisfied with the sceneries we had then (sniding ;) ?) that that some  took matter in hand,  became successful developpers and make the sceneries we fly today. 

33 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I remember flying in these old sims and looking back I think we must have had some really good imagination for our brains to fill it in. I remember thinking FS2000 was stunning and it really was "as real as it gets" :-)

Yes, Tony. Imagination is a powerful built-in software in our brain, isn't it ?

Visuals are very important but what really matters is the overall sensation of being there. I've been playing in the recent months  a new game that has rather very dated graphics and is, in my opinion, one of five best of the last 10 years. In spite of the graphics, the gameplay gives the holistic sensation to be there (The Long Dark, a survival game in artic Canada). Mind takes over the eyes. That was the case for earlier version of the sim. I played a sim that existed before FS1 (lines moving on a green screen). I was thrilled :D !

But, today, a pure visual sim without good aircraft and weather etc would be soon boring. As  a good aircraft in the  awful default scenery. So thanks to disgruntled simmers we have now OrbX and  A2A and Active SKY and <you name it> etc.

Excellent post John, I agree with your sentiments.  Gosh I feel old as I had that sim and the add-on packs and the maps too.  Still have all of it for my Apple IIc.  Having spent my life in real aviation it's important to me that things are as close to real as possible.  Thankfully Orbx has done this and I can't name another company that gives free airports, free updates, and huge discounts on purchases.  We have been very fortunate.

At the time it was new and exciting, but even then obviously primitive...but at least we were flying on our computers!  The huge steps since then have a lot to do with Moore's Law, ie the informal claim that technology replaces itself about every eight months, as they do with our buying patterns and encouragement of developers.  Together it has created a virtual world of huge complexity, and to which more is constantly being added.

6 hours ago, BradB said:

This was Meig's field in MSFS Version 1.0 dated 1982 :

Meigs.PNG.72a17a0f084b54b415c969859b62917a.PNG

And now the future , coming very soon :

PNW.thumb.PNG.ff501d7d68b7e6db7875b434774b334c.PNG

John

I remember MSFS V 1.0 very well and loved it. I imagined having better scenery, but never did I think we would get something anywhere near True Earth. Orbx have done miracles with their advances in their products. I for one can not praise the team enough. I absolutely love their work.  :wub::wub::wub:

12 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

I still remember the early releases like it was yesterday, SubLogic was the ORBX back then with scenery packs covering the USA and Europe

s-l640.jpg

I, too, had a few of those scenery disks for the Commodore 64 back in 1984!  Thanks for sharing that.

We've come a long way for sure, especially thanks to developers like ORBX.

Dave

Well, for me I just look at these shots of the old sims and remember why I never got in to this stuff until things started to look the way they do now. Wire frame graphics just didn't do it for me. MS Flight, that sim that everybody seems to dismiss, is what got me going. I spotted a copy of PC Pilot in a newsagent and thought, "that's interesting, a whole magazine on Flight Sims" and the pics on the cover were well impressive, and turned out to be from MS Flight. I got a copy, then after a while splashed out on FSX. A short while later, Flight had died and I was losing interest in FSX (it didn't appeal visually) and I read a review of an ORBX product. Can't remember what it was now, maybe PNW, and I splashed out and the next thing you know I'd discovered P3D (v2) and it's been downhill from there! Dread to think what I've spent over the last five years (it's the one bit of data I don't log in the spreadsheet!), but here I am, still got my old FSX-SE sitting around just for a couple of aircraft, got P3D 3 and 4.5 on the system, XP-10 and 11, AFS2, Flight School, Flight Sim World, DCS, FlyInside and I've just found the MS Flight forum on AVSim so I'm hoping to get that back up and running as well.

But yes, I pretty much blame ORBX for all this! And now I'm just waiting for the Washington announcement and away I'll go again. I've already put another 8tb HD on the system ready for it, and I even went out and bought a Titan. Looking forward to being the porcine beast in the proverbial sometime in the next couple of days flying around in the newest world.

And the future continues to look interesting!

When I was a teenager, a regional department store, would always have a yearly photo/electronics expo and dad and I would always try to attend.  We were both in awe at an early version on an early apple desktop.  And I have been simulating ever since.

Mike

It was a long way John. From SX 80, Spectrum, Commodore 64 to Commodore 128 and Amiga and at the end PC, MAC.

But now we have really beautiful scenery, fast computers and we are on the board (retired) and lots of time to fly.

Thank you for reminding the past decades.

cheers

Karoly

I remember 'Santa' quite often bringing me the newest flight sim on Christmas day, despite never including it in my letters. If there was a manual to go with it, I was also unwrapping that. 

Funnily enough my Dad would often spend Christmas day on whatever computer I had flying about, or reading the manual....

John

I am so glad you’ve made your posts and comments. I come to the Orbx forums to relax and enjoy in my Flightsim hobby. The last few weeks several posts have left me feeling a little annoyed. ( let alone what they’ve done for John and the Orbx Team ). I too am old enough to remember mesh wire flight sim scenery etc. Orbx are in my eyes the best in the business and reading between the lines John etc has invested heavily in the Orbx company. 

They have got my full support. I started 2 years ago after a 8 year flight sim gap with a new PC and P3d V4. Orbx have provided some great scenery for P3d. But they are not unique to P3d and are free to develop for which ever sim they please. Over the last year or so they have released some very good TE GB Scenery for X Plane. Because of this I have decided to also purchase X Plane 11 and the TE GB Scenery to go with it. If it wasn’t for Orbx I would never have purchased X Plane 11. I am soo glad I did as it is a great sim and totally works with TE GB Scenery.

Its a free world and Orbx are free to develop for which ever sim they please. 

Keep up the good work John and all the Orbx Team. Now please let’s keep this forum and postings light hearted and a nice place to visit and escape the problems of the real world. 

It is amazing how far we have come.  My first sim was Psion's Flight Simulation for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum back in 1983 when I was 12. I have been simming ever since.  I have to wonder what sims will look like in another 30-40 years.  Hopefully I will still be around to see them!

Indeed a long way from the early eighties...

I remember that in my hometown there was a computer store that had a PC on its display. And on the monitor there was a sequence of flight simulator running and a F-18 took off from an aircraft carrier and folded its gear away. I was absolutely flashed by the look of that folding process since on my brothers ATARI there was nothing like that. I took some more years before I could buy my first own PC for gaming...

For me the most important change was the discovery of VR last year. When XP 11 offered the VR-experience I bought a Rift 1 and was completely flashed. It is like being there right inside the cockpit. Pushing the buttons and grabbing the yoke, looking out of the window to see the beautiful scenery is amazing. WOW!

And now I sit here and wait for the download to complete (8 Mbit/s…). Should be finished tonight after 12 hours of loading. I hope the rest of the process can run over night so it will be ready for a first flight tomorrow morning. Can’t wait to see it with my own eyes.

22 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

Well with my eyesight after 2 Spiced Rums this evening,  I think the pic from Meigs Field in MSFS Version 1.0 dated 1982 looks  the most realistic.

Right, no more posts from you unless you post the recipe!

My first ever flight simulator was Psion Flight Simulator for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k (Christmas 1982). It had two runways, two lakes, and a cardboard cutout mountain background....and that was it! My first "proper" flight simulator after that was Flight Simulator 2 for the Commodore Amiga 500 (Christmas 1988), followed by Flight Simulator 4 on my first PC (January 1992). I thoroughly enjoyed both of those. However, I was extremely disappointed with Microsoft Flight Simulator after that. I thought the default terrain graphics in FS5 (and subsequent releases through FS2000) were shockingly bad. That steered me towards Flight Unlimited 2 (December 1997) and then Flight Unlimited 3 (December 1999). In fact, I was so disappointed with Microsoft Flight Simulator at that time that I gave up on it, and used Flight Unlimited 3 (plus the FU2 San Francisco scenery) exclusively until 2008.

Archived