Met Any Celebrities?

Well, here we are at the stage of life when we've been there and done that. After JohnY recently posted elsewhere that he had met both Vera Lynn and Vidal Sassoon, I got to wondering how many others of us have met famous people. My only personal brush with fame was on a 707 on the way to Saigon when I recognized actor Hans Conried and his sidekick Jerry_________ sitting a few rows back. They were on the way to USO performances in-country. Other than them, I've remained a nobody among nobodies (present company of course excluded from that statement). So---who have you met and where and when? I'll bet that between us all,  we've met the lot.

My favourite encounter would be back in the 1970s when we were kids, we were visiting my grandma in Reseda, California and she was taking us to Universal Studios for the day. We were 8 kids piled into the back of a white and gold 1973 Ford Econoline Van and we were stopped at a red light, I looked over and in the left turn lane right next to us was a black convertible (probably an MG) with the top down and the driver was Roy Orbison. I got so excited I yelled 'Look who it is' and banged on the windows, next thing you know 8 kids are banging on the windows and waving, he looked over and smiled at us gave a nod, light turned green and off he went. 

I've met many other celebs over the years but none have got that cool factor as Roy Orbison does, I will never forget this

When I was with the Weather Bureau at Barter Island, AK in '60, I met LTC Bill Shomo.  He was part of an Air Force inspection team of all the Canadian and Alaskan Dew Line stations - won the Medal of Honor for shooting down seven Japanese aircraft on a single mission.  First and only time I ever saw that blue ribbon with the stars.

I met "Pappy" Boyington at Oshkosh.  

I also met Michael Dorn (Worf from Star Trek TNG) at a NAS North Island airshow, where he had flown in his T-33.  He later sold his T-33 and got an F-86, which he flew for a while before selling it and getting a Citation jet.  Must be nice to be rich!

In 1976, as a young naval reservist I had the honor of driving the legendary WWII destroyer force commander and former CNO Admiral Arleigh Burke and his wife from New York City to Newport, RI for a conference. During the trip Mrs.Burke quizzed the Admiral on who was who among the dignitaries attending this conference.  On the way, though, we stopped for a leisurely lunch at a rest area McDonald's.  The Admiral and his wife were most gracious and we had a nice time swapping "sea stories" ( his so much more interesting than mine, but he had a sincere interest in hearing of my experiences and aspirations). I treasure a little keychain featuring a miniature gold destroyer that he gave me.

Ken

I probably should have also mentioned Bing Crosby, Rosemary Clooney, Rodney Dangerfield, Jim Garner, Arnold Palmer, Gene Littler, Jack Lemon, Phil Harris, Jack Nicklaus and a few others. I was lucky enough to live on the Monterey Peninsula and I worked at the Crosby golf tournament from 1958 to 1964. What a hoot. After the tournament there was an event called the Crosby Clambake. Men only.....no women except for the entertainers. What a time that was. And what a chance to meet the rich and famous. I first met Bing Crosby when I was 7-8 years old. I went to the same dentist as the Crosby twins, Dennis and Phillip. I even met Dixie once. God, what I'd give to relive just a few of those years. I never knew how lucky I was........................

Hm.  Yes, that's something.  Does this count?  My photographer son is presently caretaking a famous person's house while they are on holiday.  I can't remember who it is though.  He photographs a lot of famous people.

Me, whilst working for an international hair products company, I also met Lulu, Jon Frieda, Raymond (Mr teasy-weazy), and a few others.  They were always in and out of our main office and the London Studio which was just along the road from the ITV Studio.  They were sometimes a damned nuisance and had a habit of pinching my car parking space under the building!

Oh, and I've also had a couple of chats with our MP.  He has friends who run the disabled shop in our town and often calls in there.  Can't remember his name though!!  Bloody old age.:banghead:

John

Back in the early 60s, a friend of mine introduced me to a couple of rock musicians he was friends with -- Felix Cavaliere and Dino Danelli.   Felix was a pretty established performer who wanted to start his own band with a couple of other guys and Danelli as drummer.  They invited me to go along with my friend, who tried to play guitar, to several of their local gigs.  I thought they were pretty good. 

The band they formed was the Young Rascals and then just the Rascals.  They are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame now.

I asked Tommy Cooper for his autograph outside the bar at the Bournemouth Winter Gardens in 1968. Sure but you will have to have a drink with me first and dragged me into the bar. There was a slight problem as I was only 14. I got my autograph though and what a delightful jovial man he was.

I have met all four of the Seekers at the same venue on another occasion and can remember how pleasant Judith Durham was.

I talked to Leslie Crowther at I think Ken Barrington's cricket benefit match at Effingham in the early 60s. Another great celebrity who was just as I imagined would be off the screen.

I met Johnny Byrne at the same venue, a local from the  60s Crystal Palace and West Ham footballer.

Ted MacDougall, famous 70s footballer with Bournemouth, Man Ure, West Ham and Southampton. He signed my match day programme from the FA Cup game with Margate where he scored a record 9 goals in an 11-0 win.

Donald Campbell and his wife Tonia at Goodwood Circuit in 1962, both wonderful people.

Just time for a couple of events from down under, the Fitzroy Football Reserves team after their 1989 Grand Final Victory over Geelong. I got taken to the rooms after the game and was able to congratulate some of the team.

Matt Hall, Red Bull pilot at Shepparton Airport. He was performing at the nearby Numurkah Car Show and was flying out of YSHT. What a great friendly man too.

There are more that I cannot remember at the moment but as W2DR said I never knew how luck I was at the time.

Guest Colin M

Tommy Cooper, awsome guy :)

As regards celebs, met a few ... aviation wise most famous would be Colin McGregor, he is the Brother of Ewan McGregor the famous Star Wars movie actor, ETC.

Colin lives in my town in North Scotland, Ewan comes up to see him often ... Colin McGregor until, recently flew GR-4 Tornados with the famous Dambuster 617 Squadron at RAF Lossimouth, Squadron has moved on now though.

17 hours ago, Colin M said:

Tommy Cooper, awsome guy :)

As regards celebs, met a few ... aviation wise most famous would be Colin McGregor, he is the Brother of Ewan McGregor the famous Star Wars movie actor, ETC.

Colin lives in my town in North Scotland, Ewan comes up to see him often ... Colin McGregor until, recently flew GR-4 Tornados with the famous Dambuster 617 Squadron at RAF Lossimouth, Squadron has moved on now though.

Goosebumps and tears in my eyes. What a great experience. Thank you for sharing this Colin.

Met the Queen mother twice, once in a military hospital in Germany, then four months later in a military hospital in UK, and she asked me how I was getting on. Princess Anne visited my unit in Belgium,  attend a dinner with Prince Michael of Kent, Duke and Duchess of Gloucester.

Served with 10th Gurkha Rifles and met Captain Rambahadur Limbu VC nice guy

JPR Williams of Wales, British and Irish Lions uses my local when back I'm in Wales, quite normal to bump into members and ex members of welsh team when in Cardiff,  Ieuan Evans, Derwin Jones, Jamie Roberts also met Francois Pienaar at a book signing.

Met the Queen, most of the Royal Family and a host of other 'Celebrities'... Queen was hosting a commonwealth meeting at The Banquet House, Whitehall, London. I was drafted in as security and was positioned at the gate as they arrived. 

Also met David Beckham a few times where I now work. He pops in every now and then when Brietling Watches host events. A really nice down to earth guy, very friendly and chatty.

11622_10153003990676768_511682680414398749_n.jpg

1016182_10151457041466922_467009565_n.jpg

Most of  us  had an opportunity, thanks to our professional life.  Just  think of a Doctor  or  a Prison Officer!  For me , I had  a career  as an executive Chef and worked  in several  large palaces  throughout the world.  This  was a Mecca to meet all those celebrities , from movie stars  to singers , to  politicians. The  whole experience did not change my life , I remain humble  and POOR 

Don't know about humble Yamba 1 but by my definition you're certainly not poor mate.  I can show you poor.  Those people in the middle east and what they're going through is poor.  Same in other parts of the world too.  Those children break my heart and its so frutrating because there's nothing ordinary people like you and me can do about it.

Sorry if what I've said is against the rules Nick.  I just wanted to get it off my chest.

John

Clint Eastwood, sometime in the late-90's, at the Pebble Beach Pro-Am.  He was in the group ahead of Tiger, so I set up shop at the tee box.  Clint walked up, and whoever setup the tee box, had the outer ropes at four feet off the ground.  Clint was shaking hands and whatnot, he hits the ropes, almost goes ass over tea kettle, but a young, much more physically fit me, helped him stay on his feet.  He firmly shook my hand, and told me, "Thank you young man."  I wanted to reply, "anytime Josey Wales," but I let it go.  He was as cool in that brief moment, as he always is on screen.

14 hours ago, JohnY said:

Those people in the middle east and what they're going through is poor.  Same in other parts of the world too.  Those children break my heart

I am  all with you John,  I agree

To drop some names: Chips Rafferty, William Holden, Lee Marvin, George Harrison, Everley Brothers, Roy Orbison, Col Joye, Slim Dusty, Little Pattie, HM Queen Elizabeth II, HRH Prince Philip, HRH Prince Charles, HRH Princess Anne, Lord Mountbatten, several Australian Governors General, John Gorton, Gough Whitlam, AND a whole pile of other people that nobody has heard of but were REALLY nice :lol:

13 minutes ago, TerribleT said:

To drop some names: Chips Rafferty, William Holden, Lee Marvin, George Harrison, Everley Brothers, Roy Orbison, Col Joye, Slim Dusty, Little Pattie, HM Queen Elizabeth II, HRH Prince Philip, HRH Prince Charles, HRH Princess Anne, Lord Mountbatten, several Australian Governors General, John Gorton, Gough Whitlam, AND a whole pile of other people that nobody has heard of but were REALLY nice :lol:

you forgot Pauline Hanson on your listing!

23 hours ago, JohnY said:

Don't know about humble Yamba 1 but by my definition you're certainly not poor mate.  I can show you poor.  Those people in the middle east and what they're going through is poor.  Same in other parts of the world too.  Those children break my heart and its so frutrating because there's nothing ordinary people like you and me can do about it.

Sorry if what I've said is against the rules Nick.  I just wanted to get it off my chest.

John

No rules broken there John and I completely agree with you.

A rule would be broken if someone were to start berating a government for doing nothing

or doing something to cause it. It might need doing but not in these forums.

13 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

No rules broken there John and I completely agree with you.

A rule would be broken if someone were to start berating a government for doing nothing

or doing something to cause it. It might need doing but not in these forums.

Hey Nick. Thanks for clarification. That helps. ^-^

• 9 months later...
On 9/30/2018 at 10:34 AM, Ken Q said:

In 1976, as a young naval reservist I had the honor of driving the legendary WWII destroyer force commander and former CNO Admiral Arleigh Burke and his wife from New York City to Newport, RI for a conference. During the trip Mrs.Burke quizzed the Admiral on who was who among the dignitaries attending this conference.  On the way, though, we stopped for a leisurely lunch at a rest area McDonald's.  The Admiral and his wife were most gracious and we had a nice time swapping "sea stories" ( his so much more interesting than mine, but he had a sincere interest in hearing of my experiences and aspirations). I treasure a little keychain featuring a miniature gold destroyer that he gave me.

Ken

I just found a great book on Admiral Burke and his WW2 squadron.

"Destroyer Squadron 23" by Ken Jones.  An interesting story and a great read.  I knew a bit about Adm. Burke when I met him, but this is an eye opener.

Ken

Well, just to drop a few more names.  While working for Wella (the hair cosmetic people) I accompanied and had conversations with; Lulu, Vidal Sassoon, Raymond (Mr.Teezee weezy), and several other actors, actresses and celebrities who's names escape me now.  In the army, while serving Malaya , I also met, err,  briefly and standing stiffly to attention, General GeraldTempler  He asked me for directions to my unit while sitting in his car.  Didn't offer me a lift though!

13 minutes ago, JohnY said:

Well, just to drop a few more names.  While working for Wella (the hair cosmetic people) I accompanied and had conversations with; Lulu, Vidal Sassoon, Raymond (Mr.Teezee weezy), and several other actors, actresses and celebrities who's names escape me now.  In the army, while serving Malaya , I also met, err,  briefly and standing stiffly to attention, General GeraldTempler  He asked me for directions to my unit while sitting in his car.  Didn't offer me a lift though!

Why were you standing around looking at his car?

He probably stopped to tell you to get busy doing something.

I hope you hadn't deserted your unit..... !

14 hours ago, lawrence aldrich said:

Why were you standing around looking at his car?

He probably stopped to tell you to get busy doing something.

I hope you hadn't deserted your unit..... !

Probably  that bane of any military man's (or woman's) existence - guard duty.  Don't tell me that officers didn't do it too - at least in Academy or OCS they got their share!

During Desert Shield/Storm I was assigned to COMFAIRMED in Naples, Italy.  Every morning as we (USN, by the way) reported to duty, we passed through the gate to the base.  The marine sentry would check our IDs, and politely ask "How are you today, sir?'  We'd  typically respond, and return with, "and how are you?"  The response was ALWAYS "OUTSTANDING, SIR!!"

Well, one evening I, and a few buddies, were having a beer or two  at the Club, and we were  joined by one of our Marine comrades.  So, one of us asked, "why do you ALWAYS respond 'Outstanding!'?"

His response: that is because we are always "Out Standing."  Corny, I know, but corny sometimes helps the military get the job done.  As  I'm sure Lawrence will agree, a sense of humor, no matter how crude or "corny" helps get through the task at hand.

Ken

4 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

What a fun thread!   Met Clint Eastwood at his ranch near Burney, CA.   Frank Zappa (anyone know who that is...lol)  and double dated with two girls from Alameda, CA and Jim Morrison (from the Doors)

I certainly know who Frank Zappa is.  WOW!   And Jim Morrison, double WOW!

13 minutes ago, Scott Harmes said:

I certainly know who Frank Zappa is.  WOW!   And Jim Morrison, double WOW!

Surprised anyone knows Frank Zappa Scott!   Jim Morrison was just before he started the Doors.   New Year's Eve 1967 after a concert at the Filmore in San Francisco (went often) I went to an after party (can't remember exact location...ha ha) and met Grace Slick and Janis Joplin in person.  That concert was actually at a place called Winterland in SF tho, the Filmore was too small for that one.  Used to watch/listen to Jefferson Airplane and Grateful Dead live (for free) in Golden Gate Park that summer too.  We won't talk about the Hippies and the Summer of Love in SF.......LOL  I lived right across the bay from San Francisco......good times.  :D

I was taking friends up to the Dandenongs (Melbourne area) and parked in the gravel car park, we then went off to the cafe and had a walk around as you do.  Got back to the car (a Mazda Capella it was) and everyone belted in, ready to back out, reverse selected, and a big black limo with darkened windows pulls up next to my window.  The passenger in the limo wound the window down and it was Telly Savalas!  He looked at me, and I looked at him, and without thinking I just said "G'day Tell" smiled, and then reversed out.

I'm not one for fawning over celebrities so I figured it couldn't hurt to say g'day but I wasn't going to try and pretend he would be interested in engaging with me.

Incredible, but true, i met Lady Diana and Prince Carlo with no other people around. They were in visit in Florence and they were going to visit a friend, Lord Acton, who owned 4 luxury houses around Florence. One for him, where to live, and the 0thers three rented to the Olivetti S.p.A., where my father worked. It was a casuality, i went to my father office and when i was still outside, a car came inside the big garden, there were inside Lady D and Carlo…. wow :). It was funny, i was on my motorbike and i saluted them entusiastically and they saluted me as well, smiling. The incredible thing it was that no other people were outside, strange, just me and them, and a gardener a little bit far. Unforgettable experience for me.

11 hours ago, Ken Q said:

Probably  that bane of any military man's (or woman's) existence - guard duty.  Don't tell me that officers didn't do it too - at least in Academy or OCS they got their share!

During Desert Shield/Storm I was assigned to COMFAIRMED in Naples, Italy.  Every morning as we (USN, by the way) reported to duty, we passed through the gate to the base.  The marine sentry would check our IDs, and politely ask "How are you today, sir?'  We'd  typically respond, and return with, "and how are you?"  The response was ALWAYS "OUTSTANDING, SIR!!"

Well, one evening I, and a few buddies, were having a beer or two  at the Club, and we were  joined by one of our Marine comrades.  So, one of us asked, "why do you ALWAYS respond 'Outstanding!'?"

His response: that is because we are always "Out Standing."  Corny, I know, but corny sometimes helps the military get the job done.  As  I'm sure Lawrence will agree, a sense of humor, no matter how crude or "corny" helps get through the task at hand.

Ken

Yes, definitely.

Reminds me of my enlightening tour of Vietnam in 1967.

It was either laugh or go insane.

I wound up doing both...…...

Archived