Valdez, just can't stop hitting the V key!

John Venema

A screenshotter's paradise for sure. Props to Magnus and Philip for this beauty :)

v2.jpg

v3.jpg

v4.jpg

v6.jpg

v5.jpg

v8.jpg

v7.jpg

v9.jpg

Prepar3D 3.4.9,  PTA shader mod, REX Soft Clouds, Navids Sky Set, HDEv2 Cirrus clouds - MSI GT73VR GRF Titan Pro laptop (i7 CPU, GTX1080 GPU, Win 10-64). All P3D sliders maxxed.

1 minute ago, John Venema said:

Refer to my 2009 topic, nearly 40,000 people know the answer :D

You counted? haha

You would THINK that many know about it, but have you noticed how many people, this year alone, always asking about getting their ORBX scenery looking better, or how to squeeze out miracle tweaks?

Of course, you did forget that your specs are in your sig, which again, people tend to gloss over.  I'm just being sarcastic though, and seriously, this part of Alaska does look great.  I'll have to check out those add-ons in your sig. :)

Bloomin' 'eck, John ... that first picture says it all!!! Just as well you're barred from the screencomp!!!! It truly is a *magical* area/add-on - congratulations all round.

The danger is that we're beginning to expect every square inch of our FS world to look like this!!

Adam.

The airport and near vicinity scenery is gorgeous but it is the very high quality/resolution mesh that makes it stunning. High detailed mesh does make a difference in these mountainous areas. May be a SP for PNW with ultra mesh would be nice?:):rolleyes:<- (me dreaming and looking to a higher being!))

Those are really great. It would be absolutely nice if you could share your full PTA settings here or even provide a preset file. It looks to me like you really nailed the point of the settings in PTA, do you use HDR?

Hi John,

These shots and those in your similar thread are absolutely stunning. They grab the eye. I've just been keeping my head down making models, but I'm inspired to try some of your tricks. (I have PTA but have not fiddled with it much.) Among all the environmental addons that promise to transform our experience, would you mind telling us how you go about deciding which ones are worthwhile and which ones not?

Hi Larry,

My criteria was simple, go for a realistic over saturated look that reminds me of flying on a summer's day. I've spent many hours in Ultralights and LSAs in Australia and I was always amazed at the richness of the ground colours, the brightness of the sun, haze and the actual colours of the atmosphere. For too long most sims have given us a 3D world but it has been a droll, colourless and drab experience. The real world is vibrant and amazing from VFR heights, so that's what I wanted to achieve.

So not having installed a sim for the better part of two years, the advent of the GTX1080 and then a laptop with one inside it was too much to resist, so on a whim I ordered the MSI. Once it ran P3D 3.4.9 at 70-90fps on its first flight, I knew I could throw all manner of things at it (including VR) and still get steady 30fps.

So I checked the default environment and lo and behold LM really fixed the water and HDR is actually working well now. All we needed was some nice sky, clouds and shader tweaks. So it took a week of trying various combinations of payware and freeware products until I found the combo that works for me.

Apart from that I've installed some quality Carenado/Alabeo/A2A payware aircraft, the global shipping AI and some mesh. Everything else is pure Orbx starting with the FTX Global family and now downloading and installing FTX regions and airports. I'm having a ball re-discovering all those gems of airports while I am testing FTX Central V3 and the OrbxDirect store.

Here's a few more randoms from some flying last night, in Italy and also in Rio.

2016-10-5_16-54-1-588.jpg

2016-10-5_22-50-7-354.jpg

2016-10-5_16-54-31-521.jpg 

I am thinking of starting a little blog where I share random screenshots as I travel around the world checking all the Orbx addons.

Hard to believe these are all just 1920x1080 resolution shots, it would look amazing at 4K.

Simply amazing!!!

And thank you for sharing your explanations. I have also changed my visual appearance of P3d3 by using PTA. My scenery is now looking similar to the one in your shots. The only thing I'm not too happy with is, that now some of my VCs are too blueish. Still some tuning to do in this respect.

BTW a blog would be a nice thing!

JV would you give us all your PTA preset details, just a copy of what would now be your default.ini? Global shipping really does add to the immersion doesn't it. Have you tried the LR PNW Ferries yet as it also now adds a Tanker and Tug at PAVD and also a Tanker en route to Valdeez?

2016-10-6_15-40-43-9.jpg

4 hours ago, John Venema said:

Here's my PTA preset for version 1.61 which features the Raleigh ray scattering.

JV For 1.61 with Raleigh.zip

Well John, you sold me on PTA and I thank you.

After installing it and running through a quick tutorial off of youtube, I saw a dramatic increase of color and realism.  I'll still need to do a little more tweaking and I may also try out your settings to see how much better it looks.

So you bought in to the MSI, how do you like it?

4 hours ago, Mike707 said:

For those of you that get the wonderful PTA tool, please consider giving the author a nice donation. PTA really makes P3D (with ORBX of course) come to life. 

It took about 15 minutes for me to get PTA up and running (a while back now). My donation followed about 15 mins later. It was obvious from the start that it was something I could really use.

Of course, I've spent a few hours spent tweaking since, but it's been enjoyable - not the frustrating experience I've had with some utils.

Adam.

On 10/6/2016 at 3:11 PM, John Venema said:

The real world is vibrant and amazing from VFR heights, so that's what I wanted to achieve.

Completely agree there.  Many people have become so accustomed to the drabness of P3D/FSX to the extent that it has become the realistic norm.    The world is definitely saturated with colour - particlarly in bright, summer environments.  

Great shots John

Right, that's it.  I'm getting Valdez

Archived