Valdez, just can't stop hitting the V key!

John Venema

On 09/10/2016 at 11:21 AM, Gandalf21 said:

Hi John,

which HDR settings in P3Dv3 do you use?

Cheers,
Martin

Here are all my P3D 3.4..9 settings. I don't use nVidia Inspector and just use the default settings in the 3D driver.

P3D3.4.9Settings1.jpg

P3D3.4.9Settings2.jpg

P3D3.4.9Settings3.jpg

P3D3.4.9Settings4.jpg

P3D3.4.9Settings5.jpg

nvidiCP1.jpg
nvidiCP2.jpg

Hello John.

Your P3D settings look unbelievable! I am OpenLC...It would be very interesting for me to see some pictures above big city like Rennes....Bordeaux....Nantes and tell me about the fps feelings.

It is not for a stupid comparison but to see the difference between my Gtx 970 strix and your fabulous Gtx 1080...

The screen laptop is large enought for imerssion?

In any case this Msi laptop look very good in the all YouTube different review. 

It can be a good solution in my way of life.

Thank.

I am getting 45-60fps everywhere over Europe with FTX Global, Vector and openLC EU with those slider settings. Regions are the same; PNW, Norway, England, Germany, they all perform super smooth. Sometimes it dips below 40 but usually in heavy clouds or autogen, but I don't keep the red fps counter on anyway and the sim is butter smooth. The laptop screen is 17.3 inch IPS running at 120Hz with 5ms response. It's an amazing laptop screen but I have on order the Acer XB321HK 32" monitor running 4K resolution at 60Hz with 4ms response time.

The laptop has built-in nVidia G-sync so that may be a clue why it's so smooth.

This GTX1080 is a monster GPU, it has so much power the CPU is holding it back. I overclocked the MSI laptop CPU to 4.1GHz using the MSI Dragon Center app and it gave me a 3-4fps boost.

But the real "wow" experience for me is VR. I am using an Oculus Rift CV1 and it's very, very difficult to go back to a 2D screen after being immersed in a cockpit like that. There are no stutters, no lag and even in 3D stereoscopic mode it's extremely useable with FlyInside (less so with native P3D 3.4.9 stereoscopic mode, but you can disable it). I use a wireless Xbox One Bluetooth controller with the Oculus and it's really intuitive to use for flying, every button and stick is already pre-mapped with P3D.

For your work you could pack this laptop and the Oculus into the cabin on the ship and enjoying simming whilst at sea :)

I'll visit those cities in France and report back.

Hi John,running your system at which I believe is a maximum 2.7Ghz (going by the website specs), how do you maintain an effective CPU temp? Is it partly due to the chunkiness of this model (it is not a thin laptop) which would create more internal space than most anorexic laptops available these days.. I run an Aspire V Nitro Core i7-4720HQ at 3.6Ghz and have to manually set fans so that I do not experience any problems with all sliders maxed out (touch wood!). I also have to run a Throttlestop program however that is an issue more appropriately covered on many other forums and which is particular to this model laptop. Cheers Dan.

PS: Good to see that you make some time to actually simm fly mate!

PPS: Whoops should have read your last post more carefully. Overclocked at 4.1Ghz 3-4 extra fps...is it worth it?; the temp query still remains relevant however.

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

I am getting 45-60fps everywhere over Europe with FTX Global, Vector and openLC EU with those slider settings. Regions are the same; PNW, Norway, England, Germany, they all perform super smooth. Sometimes it dips below 40 but usually in heavy clouds or autogen, but I don't keep the red fps counter on anyway and the sim is butter smooth. The laptop screen is 17.3 inch IPS running at 120Hz with 5ms response. It's an amazing laptop screen but I have on order the Acer XB321HK 32" monitor running 4K resolution at 60Hz with 4ms response time.

The laptop has built-in nVidia G-sync so that may be a clue why it's so smooth.

This GTX1080 is a monster GPU, it has so much power the CPU is holding it back. I overclocked the MSI laptop CPU to 4.1GHz using the MSI Dragon Center app and it gave me a 3-4fps boost.

But the real "wow" experience for me is VR. I am using an Oculus Rift CV1 and it's very, very difficult to go back to a 2D screen after being immersed in a cockpit like that. There are no stutters, no lag and even in 3D stereoscopic mode it's extremely useable with FlyInside (less so with native P3D 3.4.9 stereoscopic mode, but you can disable it). I use a wireless Xbox One Bluetooth controller with the Oculus and it's really intuitive to use for flying, every button and stick is already pre-mapped with P3D.

For your work you could pack this laptop and the Oculus into the cabin on the ship and enjoying simming whilst at sea :)

I'll visit those cities in France and report back.

Thank a lot for all these information.

Tell me if i understand well...

When you will use Oculus Rift CV1 with your new monitor 4K it will be the same resolution inside your Oculus? If is not the case why use a 4K monitor.What is the difference compared Nvidia DSR and a big resolution monitor.It's not the same?

Thank.

1 hour ago, Bassman said:

Hi John,running your system at which I believe is a maximum 2.7Ghz (going by the website specs), how do you maintain an effective CPU temp? Is it partly due to the chunkiness of this model (it is not a thin laptop) which would create more internal space than most anorexic laptops available these days.. I run an Aspire V Nitro Core i7-4720HQ at 3.6Ghz and have to manually set fans so that I do not experience any problems with all sliders maxed out (touch wood!). I also have to run a Throttlestop program however that is an issue more appropriately covered on many other forums and which is particular to this model laptop. Cheers Dan.

PS: Good to see that you make some time to actually simm fly mate!

PPS: Whoops should have read your last post more carefully. Overclocked at 4.1Ghz 3-4 extra fps...is it worth it?; the temp query still remains relevant however.

There are no heat issues with this laptop even at 4.1Ghz, it's renowned for running cool due to the 10 heat pipes inside the chassis and an intelligent monitoring software suite. I just leave the fan settings on "Auto" and it takes care of everything. Every now and then you'll hear the fans kick in but overall it's a very quiet machine.

54 minutes ago, FILOU said:

Thank a lot for all these information.

Tell me if i understand well...

When you will use Oculus Rift CV1 with your new monitor 4K it will be the same resolution inside your Oculus? If is not the case why use a 4K monitor.What is the difference compared Nvidia DSR and a big resolution monitor.It's not the same?

Thank.

The 4K external 32" monitor has nothing to do with the Oculus - it's purely to give me a good sized workspace with 3-4 windows open at once. I've always used large screens that way. Oh and of course not all games support VR so in those instances it's nicer to play at 60Hz on a 4K screen; with G-sync it feels like 100Hz anyway. This laptop can for instance easily maintain 60fps with Project Cars at 4K resolution all sliders maxed.

The resolution inside the Oculus is 2160x1200 spread across two OLED displays each with 1080x1200 resolution. The laptop sees it as a completely separate monitor.

I don't use or need nVidia DSR; on the laptop IPS screen 1920x1080 @ 100Hz with MSAAx4 or MSAAx8 is perfect visuals; see my screenshots above :)

10 minutes ago, John Venema said:

The 4K external 32" monitor has nothing to do with the Oculus - it's purely to give me a good sized workspace with 3-4 windows open at once. I've always used large screens that way. Oh and of course not all games support VR so in those instances it's nicer to play at 60Hz on a 4K screen; with G-sync it feels like 100Hz anyway. This laptop can for instance easily maintain 60fps with Project Cars at 4K resolution all sliders maxed.

The resolution inside the Oculus is 2160x1200 spread across two OLED displays each with 1080x1200 resolution. The laptop sees it as a completely separate monitor.

I don't use or need nVidia DSR; on the laptop IPS screen 1920x1080 @ 100Hz with MSAAx4 or MSAAx8 is perfect visuals; see my screenshots above :)

Thank! 

Finaly if i understand well... the resolution inside the oculus is better to your screen laptop?

Yes the Oculus resolution is higher than the laptop.

Here are your requested screenshots with FPS counter visible:

rennes.jpg

bordeux.jpg

Nantes.jpg

As you can see, everything is maxed and it looks quite special with shadows being received and cast, water reflections, LOD 6.5 etc.

On 6.10.2016 at 4:11 PM, John Venema said:

Hi Larry,

My criteria was simple, go for a realistic over saturated look that reminds me of flying on a summer's day. I've spent many hours in Ultralights and LSAs in Australia and I was always amazed at the richness of the ground colours, the brightness of the sun, haze and the actual colours of the atmosphere. For too long most sims have given us a 3D world but it has been a droll, colourless and drab experience. The real world is vibrant and amazing from VFR heights, so that's what I wanted to achieve.

So not having installed a sim for the better part of two years, the advent of the GTX1080 and then a laptop with one inside it was too much to resist, so on a whim I ordered the MSI. Once it ran P3D 3.4.9 at 70-90fps on its first flight, I knew I could throw all manner of things at it (including VR) and still get steady 30fps.

So I checked the default environment and lo and behold LM really fixed the water and HDR is actually working well now. All we needed was some nice sky, clouds and shader tweaks. So it took a week of trying various combinations of payware and freeware products until I found the combo that works for me.

Apart from that I've installed some quality Carenado/Alabeo/A2A payware aircraft, the global shipping AI and some mesh. Everything else is pure Orbx starting with the FTX Global family and now downloading and installing FTX regions and airports. I'm having a ball re-discovering all those gems of airports while I am testing FTX Central V3 and the OrbxDirect store.

Here's a few more randoms from some flying last night, in Italy and also in Rio.

2016-10-5_22-50-7-354.jpg

2016-10-5_16-54-31-521.jpg 

I am thinking of starting a little blog where I share random screenshots as I travel around the world checking all the Orbx addons.

Hard to believe these are all just 1920x1080 resolution shots, it would look amazing at 4K.

Hi John,

do you really can fly a A2A C172, 182, Piper Comanche with those settings for 1 hour in dense scenery like NYC without an OOM. I tried your settings and made a flight with the A2A Comanche from KMVY to KEWR. No problem (only lower frames) until I reached New York and then I get an OOM. The same problem I have in GEN Berlin with those settings.

Cheers,

Martin

My criteria was simple, go for a realistic over saturated look that reminds me of flying on a summer's day. I've spent many hours in Ultralights and LSAs in Australia and I was always amazed at the richness of the ground colours, the brightness of the sun, haze and the actual colours of the atmosphere

It reminds me of the time I was returning from Scone back to Newcastle with my instructor, it was afternoon and the colours (an orange ochre) on some of the cliffs looked magical, I remember saying that it looked like an oil painting, to which he replied, that is why he enjoyed flying so much, no two days are the same!

• 4 weeks later...

JV, these are nothing short f spectacular.  I just got Valdez last weekend but have yet to get a flight in there since the Holiday.  Well I am off today so surely I will enjoy a flight out there.  Thanks for sharing and the key tricks and tips.

2 hours ago, Sammy H said:

JV, these are nothing short f spectacular.  I just got Valdez last weekend but have yet to get a flight in there since the Holiday.  Well I am off today so surely I will enjoy a flight out there.  Thanks for sharing and the key tricks and tips.

Sammy...I too pulled the trigger on Valdez along with a few others Thanksgiving morning with no regrets. This scenery at 4096 on my 55 inch is remarkable. It cooled off a little since JV was hitting the V key, but winter here is still awesome:P

fAn1KoU.jpg

mcYpa4r.jpg

Also Bella Coola...  aaah I have to throw a couple in:lol:

jUEg0DR.jpg

pNOqQZl.jpg

So sweetB)

• 1 month later...

JV, after reading your posts about the MSI laptops, I bought a GT72VR 6RD Dominator pro about a month ago and I am having trouble with colour banding - as are many others. After numerous inquiries to sort it out , the problem has been traced to the screen. Although the  box says it has the 120hz display, apparently this is optional and mine only has the 75 hz. The graphics are great and it runs P3D at around 50 fps easily but I have severe banding in the sky and cloud textures. The fix is to use a custom profile at 100 hz and this eliminates the banding but it will only run at 6bpc instead of 8bpc and at this resolution the textures are nowhere near as crisp and it looks like crap. I was wondering if you could check if your screen is 120hz with 8 bpc. If so I will hit MSI up for another screen.

Regards

Johno

Archived