Support Request: All the support forums are currently read-only

skysthelimit707

All the support forums are currently read-only. When I checked yesterday they were read-only and again today they are still read-only. I can't find any information about it in the forums when I search for either read-only or read only. Is there a reason why the support forums are currently read-only?

readonly.jpg

1 hour ago, EasternT3 said:

To preview upcoming products and to just have discussions all things flight sim

So why are they called "support" forums? There are other places to preview products and talk about all things flight sim. I agree with Brad. I've been around here longer than most and if this is what the support forums have become I'll seldom come back. IMNSHO it's a really bad move.......Doug

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

2 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

I am afraid I have to agree and concur with John and Doug. Over the many years us long time Orbx customers have been on here, in the support forums many of us have assisted others with support, especially when Orbx staff have a lot on their collective plates and they appreciate the extra volunteer help. It is hard to see why Orbx as a company does not want that help any more, and it sure seems like a step in the wrong direction, at least from the long time customer viewpoint. But, what do we matter anyhow. Money seems to be all that matters the most around here any more. I guess I might have to turn in my Orbx fanboy club member card that I have often been accused of carrying all these years :) 

I know Orbx has to improve their business model and move along with the times, but that does not mean everything from the past is no longer worthwhile either.  

Okay, I've said me piece. 

Cheers!

Landon

Well said Landon , TY . 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

I am afraid I have to agree and concur with John and Doug. Over the many years us long time Orbx customers have been on here, in the support forums many of us have assisted others with support, especially when Orbx staff have a lot on their collective plates and they appreciate the extra volunteer help. It is hard to see why Orbx as a company does not want that help any more, and it sure seems like a step in the wrong direction, at least from the long time customer viewpoint. But, what do we matter anyhow. Money seems to be all that matters the most around here any more. I guess I might have to turn in my Orbx fanboy club member card that I have often been accused of carrying all these years :) 

I know Orbx has to improve their business model and move along with the times, but that does not mean everything from the past is no longer worthwhile either.  

Okay, I've said me piece. 

Cheers!

Landon

My guess is that as Orbx is moving to an online store selling other third party products and they just don't want to get involved in monitoring other third party product discussions as this may result in them getting sued or breaching contract terms ect,  so the only way they can control it is take it off public offline discussions.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Hello,

this company decision does not mean that Doug, Jon, Richard and I are not there any more,

it means only that we are tasked to deliver our product support by ticket instead of in the forums.

If you have a technical problem, please send us a ticket.

Submit a request – Orbx Simulation Systems (orbxdirect.com)

The discussion forums are still there and I would encourage you to visit there and exchange your

views and expertise as you did up to the 1st February.

• Like 1

I respectfully suggest that if your "issue" is with an installed addon or problems trying to install then you raise a support ticket.

If you question is a "general" one for example "will this airport addon work with this Orbx scenery", or similar then you can ask that type of question in this General Discussion forum where all our members can get involved. I would regard that as a pre-purchase enquiry rather than a technical  Support issue.

• Like 1

Hello,

you will see that we still have discussion forums for the simulators supported by Orbx and Partner products.

Discussion forums - Orbx Community and Support Forums (orbxdirect.com)

These forums will contain the combined "intelligence" gathered from Orbx staff, forum users and customer posts

relating to tips, techniques, performance tricks, how-to guides and other information which help you get the most

out of your Orbx products.

As Jon points out, we cannot provide technical support for a product that is not yet owned and any discussion or enquiry

along those lines is welcome there.

The General Discussion forum remains

to discuss any topic related to Orbx's products or plans, field general questions to the Orbx team, and also to

discuss flight simulation, aviation and flying in general.

Although they can no longer be written to, the Support Forums remain a priceless source of information 

which can be searched, which will usually result in finding that a solution has been found for problems with Orbx

products in all versions of FSX, P3D and X plane 11.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick Cooper said:

Although they can no longer be written to, the Support Forums remain a priceless source of information 

which can be searched, which will usually result in finding that a solution has been found for problems with Orbx

products in all versions of FSX, P3D and X plane 11.

But they will soon become outdated Nick. I understand the "reasoning" behind the change but I still think it's a really bad decision. Just a thought from someone who's been here from the beginning. I think this a great disservice to the many thousands of simmers who may benefit from those of us who have been around for a while. But time moves on. And so do I.........Doug

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, W2DR said:

So why are they called "support" forums? There are other places to preview products and talk about all things flight sim. I agree with Brad. I've been around here longer than most and if this is what the support forums have become I'll seldom come back. IMNSHO it's a really bad move.......Doug

They're called the community and support forums. 

Question Doug, on this forum where do you post or spend the most time in? Like if I click on your profile, the majority of your recent activity seems to be General Discussion/the memorial lounge and not the support bit, if you actually use the support bit all the time, then fair enough.

I use the support forums when I feel I have something to contribute. If I can't help I don't post. But don't just look at me. Look at all the other knowledge and experience that is lost. I've been simming since FS2 and if it weren't for the support of my fellow simmers I would have  given up long ago. Relying on the developer to solve all your problems just won't work. IMNSHO..........Doug

• Like 2

I’m not saying I think the closing of the support forums is the correct move, I often try and help people where I can, and yes I agree sometimes as users we can sometimes offer the same if not better support as the devs,

If Ed or Anna (or anyone at Orbx is reading this) a potential idea…if you want to continue using tickets for more personalised support, how about you reopen the support forums but make clear, for official support to go through the website, and that if you request support on the forum, it’ll be user to user support, that’s how PMDG works and it seems to work pretty well.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, EasternT3 said:

If Ed or Anna (or anyone at Orbx is reading this) a potential idea…if you want to continue using tickets for more personalised support, how about you reopen the support forums but make clear, for official support to go through the website, and that if you request support on the forum, it’ll be user to user support,

Well said Joe. Exactly what's needed.

• Like 2

I would add that I frequently discovered my issue and its solution by regularly browsing the support forum, before asking.

I even discovered several updates non shown by Orbx Central :(

Gérard

• Like 6

I concur. Having forum access to others’ problems has proven very beneficial  over the years …. often creating an awareness of potential problems, such that corrections can be expedited on installation. Access to “Frequently asked Q & A” is not as good.

I consider this to be a retrograde step.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I fully agree that the support forums should remain open with tickets used for personalized help.  BUT I also think that closing them is more in line with the latest thinking by Orbx , which is to basically ignore the old time users (buyers) and concentrate on the new profit streams afforded by MSFS and Xbox.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Doc_Z said:

I fully agree that the support forums should remain open with tickets used for personalized help.  BUT I also think that closing them is more in line with the latest thinking by Orbx , which is to basically ignore the old time users (buyers) and concentrate on the new profit streams afforded by MSFS and Xbox.

I disagree with that assertion. I think it is purely a response to the changing landscape of Orbx as a multi faceted flight sim company. Orbx startef out as a semi-amateur collection of hobbyist flight sim developers and enthusiasts. As time went on, opportunities arose for developers to generate an income for their skills. However, much of the income and consequently, a few talented developers were lost as the wild west nature of the internet allowed piracy and sharing to bypass normal economic protocols. 

Then, a number of brilliant minds conceived and introduced Orbx Central which has largely prevented intellectual property theft of Orbx products (as far as I know anyway). Orbx remained an insular company, this new innovation was for the benefit of Orbx, until other companies noticed its success and sought to safeguard their intellectual property in the same way. And, for many firms, accessing Orbx Central to distribute their products without the need to design their own robust security has been an attractive option. 

However, this has led to the Orbx forums slowly evolving into something they were never designed to be, support forums for other developers' products. Not overly so but still, the creeping changes were becoming more and more obvious. Hence the decision to change the business model for support. It has nothing to do with loyalties and members' help etc. As far as I know, It's purely a result of unsustainability of the old model and the need to adapt to the future in a way that is commercially viable for Orbx. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, John Dow said:

I disagree with that assertion. I think it is purely a response to the changing landscape of Orbx as a multi faceted flight sim company. Orbx startef out as a semi-amateur collection of hobbyist flight sim developers and enthusiasts. As time went on, opportunities arose for developers to generate an income for their skills. However, much of the income and consequently, a few talented developers were lost as the wild west nature of the internet allowed piracy and sharing to bypass normal economic protocols. 

Then, a number of brilliant minds conceived and introduced Orbx Central which has largely prevented intellectual property theft of Orbx products (as far as I know anyway). Orbx remained an insular company, this new innovation was for the benefit of Orbx, until other companies noticed its success and sought to safeguard their intellectual property in the same way. And, for many firms, accessing Orbx Central to distribute their products without the need to design their own robust security has been an attractive option. 

However, this has led to the Orbx forums slowly evolving into something they were never designed to be, support forums for other developers' products. Not overly so but still, the creeping changes were becoming more and more obvious. Hence the decision to change the business model for support. It has nothing to do with loyalties and members' help etc. As far as I know, It's purely a result of unsustainability of the old model and the need to adapt to the future in a way that is commercially viable for Orbx. 

Very well explained John. Thanks.

2 cents worth - probably what my opinion will be worth

As I understand the past - Orbx has always wanted a support ticket for one's problems - ( and they are not alone - JF comes to mind)

and stated clearly - within each simulator support group - "Support is for Orbx Products only" - but over time - we 

- who are lazy  - just dive in and relate a problem - rather than take the long route of obtaining a ticket - and hence -

as others have stated above - simmers themselves have supplied the answer - but in the majority of cases - it has been

Nick and Doug - and more recently - Jon - who have stepped in and we have taken advantage of this

Lets face it Guys - over the the last year or so - since Orbx have gone into the distribution business - because as

John Dow just said above - Orbx have produced Central - which has just about killed off piracy of Orbx product and 

for the price of a commision - Orbx have provided a service to many other smaller companies - some - just one or 2 individuals

like Auscene  for example - and well done - which as a user - if I want to reinstall a product bought via Central - I have no need

to go chasing up the right to a reinstall from someone else. Also - the problem is before the developer - who wouldn't know otherwise

to correct what ever problem has arrived

How often in the last few months have we seen a proliferation of Newbies - for want of a better description - where having bought

via Central totally -  ignoring the bit on Central that says "support will only be given by the developer' and Doug must have his finger 

permanently over a button that shows a screen shot of the wording - and this must be noted as wasting Doug's time for example.

I have gone this far to try to explain what I see has finally driven Orbx to take the action to reafirm the forum rules appertaining to

The individual Simulator support forum - which is the subject of their  problem -what is just that - a reafirming of the rules that we all sign up to.

However - I think what we are asking -  is that Orbx - purely for the case of good relations - realise that this action will not change a thing

and the problem will remain as long as there are more and more newbies who cannot read - and Orbx continues to grow as it has over the last 2 years

and we who have been around for a while - are getting a little hot under the collar - and were quite comfortable with the status Quo.

So - if you dont want a whole heap of disgruntled long term customers - please re examine the problem possibly on the lines quoted earlier above

Having said all above - I have been assuming that the various Sim Group "Discussion"  and "General Discussions "will remain as is and the

whole who-hah is the support sections only:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I have to agree to what many have said above: The support questions here have been a huge knowledge base, and I have sometimes had the chance to help fellow users as well. The lovely sentence "Have you searched the forums yet before asking for tech support?" has become standard behaviour - and now this is changed? That appears like another step away from a community and towards a spot business, not a good idea that would be.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

I want to say so much about this - but I'd just be wasting my time, as once some faceless manager has made their decision Orbx don't listen to loyal customers. Have fun dealing with all the support requests that could have been self-sorted. Bye.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

A lot is being made of Orbx is becoming a distributing platform, for me personally I love it, I can buy and support developers I never would have heard of if they weren't on Central, and with Anna's recent comment, the 2022 roadmap is coming soon and will show Orbx still produces their own products and well as being a distributor for others,

I fully understand what John Dow's assessment is but I still think my above suggestion of the support forums reopened as user to user would still be beneficial to all

• Like 5

3 days ago - I put a plea for assistance on the Hardware section - for help with a problem using the trims  for MSFS

- and I saw some 43 views - but no answer - or any suggestion:-*

Last night I put the same request  on Avsim - and when I got out of bed - there were 3 suggestions from 3 different blokes  - one of which

solved my problem:)

Now if I had placed that on theOrbyx  MSFS support Forum - I would probably be asked for a support ticket  - since Feb 1  - and then "someone" would

need to reply -  probably to refer me to the MSFS support section at Microsoft:rolleyes:;)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John Heaton said:

3 days ago - I put a plea for assistance on the Hardware section - for help with a problem using the trims  for MSFS

- and I saw some 43 views - but no answer - or any suggestion:-*

Last night I put the same request  on Avsim - and when I got out of bed - there were 3 suggestions from 3 different blokes  - one of which

solved my problem:)

Now if I had placed that on theOrbyx  MSFS support Forum - I would probably be asked for a support ticket  - since Feb 1  - and then "someone" would

need to reply -  probably to refer me to the MSFS support section at Microsoft:rolleyes:;)

I read it John, but didn't know the answer...glad you have it sorted...

• Like 1

Hello John,

I take your point but Orbx do not support Honeycomb hardware or MSFS, so at least you were not asked to submit a support ticket.

The Avsim forums were probably the best place, as at 261,000 + members from all backgrounds, versus 101,000 + most of whom are

at least interested in Orbx and most probably Orbx customers, the likelihood of someone having the hardware and also having solved

the same problem was evidently higher.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This change is in my very humble view detrimental. The expertise amongst the collective simming community is vast, and you only have to glance back though the foums to see how many times Orbx staff and simmers together have solved problems. 

It often that problems arise because of our many different set-ups, and there is often someone out there with  a similar rig who has trouble shooted and saved us all many frustrating hours. 

I do hope Orbx can reconsider - maybe take a wider poll from the community on the best way forward.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bullfox said:

I am beginning to wonder if as a result of this change, more support requests are just going back into the general discussion.

They might but it'll all sort itself out in the long run, particularly if the moderators enforce the No Support rule for the General Discussion forum.

• Like 1