Any word on Jack or KDK Martyn

gumbypickett

Was just thinking about all you guys the other day.  Figured I'd stop in and just say hello.  Haven't moved to MSFS so not really actively shopping much with Orbx these days but still hoping for an odd P3Dv4 offering here and there - and really, you just gotta love this community here.

Have been enjoying some FTX Australia recently and really, as always, I like to try to go back to fly the ones I've not been to in some time.  With over 100 of them, I generally have a good selection of airports that seen almost like new.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I have cataract surgery on the 27th.  My right eye is so bad I can no longer see out of it.  It's like someone smeared vaseline on it.

Hello Jack,

I have had both eyes done and my vision is better than it has ever been. 

I needed to wear glasses for my whole life and now I don't need them except for close up reading.

I expect that the transformation will be as good for you, I certainly hope so.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Hi Jack

My wife just had both eyes done & now that she can see me, wants a divorce:)

Joking, but she is amazed at what she can see post op.

Colors & color intensity are a revelation. Plus she can drive again.

Heartily recommend it as it is a real quality of life boost.

Hope op goes well, take the drops, & good luck.

TTM

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the update @Jack Sawyer, and also at least we know Martyn is ding okay. We all have to deal with life's challenges in our own way, and for sure, flight simulation is not the highest priority. I myself stepped away from almost everything including flight simulation for about 6 months earlier this year, and went on what I will simply call a long trek, or an adventure, or even a walk-about (although I spent a lot of time in my Jeep as well as hiking). One must do what one must do. I wish you and Martyn all the best no matter which way life takes each of you.

Cheers!

Landon

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jack,

I have had both eyes done and my vision is better than it has ever been. 

I had needed to wear glasses for my whole life and now I don't need them except for close up reading.

I expect that the transformation will be as good for you, I certainly hope so.

Thanks Nick!  Glad to hear it.  I’ve been wearing glasses, bifocals since I was 40 so that’s 22 years.  I’m going to get the lens that allows for clear vision in distance so I’ll have to have the right lens in all three glasses adjusted, more $$$!  I have a set of daily glasses, computer glasses, and sunglasses that are all prescription.  A lot of people I know who have had it says it’s amazing.  I can’t wait as it’s very difficult now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Hi Jack

My wife just had both eyes done & now that she can see me, wants a divorce:)

Joking, but she is amazed at what she can see post op.

Colors & color intensity are a revelation. Plus she can drive again.

Heartily recommend it as it is a real quality of life boost.

Hope op goes well, take the drops, & good luck.

TTM

LOL!  Divorce!  :) 

Yes, first thing they made me do was pay the $75 for the drops up front.  With my co-pay and insurance it costed me about $490.

Wednesday the 27th, so next week?  I reckon so.

Thanks again!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Nick!  Glad to hear it.  I’ve been wearing glasses, bifocals since I was 40 so that’s 22 years.  I’m going to get the lens that allows for clear vision in distance so I’ll have to have the right lens in all three glasses adjusted, more $$$!  I have a set of daily glasses, computer glasses, and sunglasses that are all prescription.  A lot of people I know who have had it says it’s amazing.  I can’t wait as it’s very difficult now.

Vaseline is a very good description Jack. The moment you look out at the world post surgery is purely a magical moment.  

Enjoy it :)

PS - I went for distance lens,  and I now have reading glasses, computer glasses which are bifocal, sunglasses which are bifocal , and closeup glasses for fine detail

stuff which is one of my "hobbies".  

It's just life - no point complaining as there are lots of folks in the world who don't have the chance to ever have it corrected

when it happens to them

Cheers

Pete

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Sniper31 said:

Thanks for the update @Jack Sawyer, and also at least we know Martyn is ding okay. We all have to deal with life's challenges in our own way, and for sure, flight simulation is not the highest priority. I myself stepped away from almost everything including flight simulation for about 6 months earlier this year, and went on what I will simply call a long trek, or an adventure, or even a walk-about (although I spent a lot of time in my Jeep as well as hiking). One must do what one must do. I wish you and Martyn all the best no matter which way life takes each of you.

Cheers!

Landon

Hi Landon!  Long time no hear.  Yes, Martyn is a really true friend.  He’s been there for me often.  I sent him a pen I made on the lathe and since Oz suddenly stopped all mail from the USA I don’t know if he’ll ever receive it which saddens me.  :( 

I can understand stepping away and man a long trek/adventure sounds downright Tolkienish.  I would have loved it if consisted of hiking and trees!  How I love trees, I wish I lived in a forest with nothing but trees like five feet from the house.

It’s now so difficult for me to hike with the most egregious and severe pain I have ever experienced in my life.  I live on narcotics now.  I have osteoarthritis in so many places that it’s hard to go a minute without pain.

As for life, well, it’s in G*d’s hands in my opinion.

Be well, be blessed, and take good care of yourself.

J - 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, renault said:

Vaseline is a very good description Jack. The moment you look out at the world post surgery is purely a magical moment.  

Enjoy it :)

PS - I went for distance lens,  and I now have reading glasses, computer glasses which are bifocal, sunglasses which are bifocal , and closeup glasses for fine detail

stuff which is one of my "hobbies".  

It's just life - no point complaining as there are lots of folks in the world who don't have the chance to ever have it corrected

when it happens to them

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete!  Whenever I see your name or avatar I immediately think “orange” :) 

I was told it would be blurry for a few days post surgery and I have a follow up the very next day.  Since I already take Klonopin they have to give me an actual IV sedative because they use Ambien which is child’s play compared to it.

Ditto!  Same thing for me with the glasses!

Nope, not complaining my friend, I feel blessed to be able to have it fixed and have a lot of empathy for those who cannot :( 

Take care.

J - 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had cataract surgery in both eyes about 14 years ago, one eye then the other a few weeks later.  To vividly see colors again brought tears to my eyes.  I still have a bit of astigmatism but my vison with glasses is near 20/20.  The surgery was painless.  It took longer to do the paperwork that it did to do the actual surgery.  Piece 'o cake.

I wouldn't worry about Win 11.  I ran FSX with a 10 year old computer until upgrading this year to P3d and Win 10 and a new computer.  We live on a planet with places of breathtaking beauty.  You can see excellent simulations of that beauty in FSX, P3D, X Plane and MSFS.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Bullfox said:

I had cataract surgery in both eyes about 14 years ago, one eye then the other a few weeks later.  To vividly see colors again brought tears to my eyes.  I still have a bit of astigmatism but my vison with glasses is near 20/20.  The surgery was painless.  It took longer to do the paperwork that it did to do the actual surgery.  Piece 'o cake.

I wouldn't worry about Win 11.  I ran FSX with a 10 year old computer until upgrading this year to P3d and Win 10 and a new computer.  We live on a planet with places of breathtaking beauty.  You can see excellent simulations of that beauty in FSX, P3D, X Plane and MSFS.  

I don't know about colors but I really want to see early.  When you had it was it worse in one eye?  Mine is to the point where it almost causes vertigo.  I was told the same thing, very short time do to it.  I too have astigmatism but that's no big deal anymore, it's the vaseline on the eye that bothers me.  :( 

I was just wondering if it will be a requirement to have Win 11 to use MSFS.  I hope not.

• Like 1

In my case my right eye has always been a little weaker than my left eye  But as for cataracts they were both about the same.  The surgery was an interesting experience.  They put something in your eye so that its fixed in place and then they use ultra sound to break up the old lens and suck it out through a narrow slit in the cornea.  then the new lens is inserted folded over though the slit and springs open once in the lens capsule.  after the surgery you wear an eye patch for a few days while things heal.  That's about it.  In my case, I was completely conscious during the whole procedure which I think is the usual way its done.  During the surgery what you see in the eye that is being worked on is similar to what you see on a tv screen when there is no broadcast going on.  In my case, being who I am I narrated what I was feeling and seeing during the whole procedure.  My surgeon finally had to tell me to be quite so I shut up.   My recollection is that I had to be at the hospital by 6 am, the procedure was at 8, and I was back home before noon

Also in my case about five or six years latter I had problems with the capsule that contains the lens clouding over a bit.  That happens in some cases, but there is an even quicker outpatient laser procedure to correct that.  Takes about 30 seconds, and of course a bit of paperwork.  If anyone knows any of the above to be incorrect p[lease respond.  After all this was 14 years ago.

Also regarding Windows 11.  By the time you may or may not need Win 11 for MSFS There will be even faster processors than what's available now that are Win 11 compliant and they will no longer be top of the line so that will be relatively cheap.  Just slip one in if need be when the time comes. Its my understanding that some motherboards may not be Win 11 compliant so that might be a bigger problem on some systems.  Of course there will eventually be Win 12 and so on and so on.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bullfox said:

In my case my right eye has always been a little weaker than my left eye  But as for cataracts they were both about the same.  The surgery was an interesting experience.  They put something in your eye so that its fixed in place and then they use ultra sound to break up the old lens and suck it out through a narrow slit in the cornea.  then the new lens is inserted folded over though the slit and springs open once in the lens capsule.  after the surgery you wear an eye patch for a few days while things heal.  That's about it.  In my case, I was completely conscious during the whole procedure which I think is the usual way its done.  During the surgery what you see in the eye that is being worked on is similar to what you see on a tv screen when there is no broadcast going on.  In my case, being who I am I narrated what I was feeling and seeing during the whole procedure.  My surgeon finally had to tell me to be quite so I shut up.   My recollection is that I had to be at the hospital by 6 am, the procedure was at 8, and I was back home before noon

Also in my case about five or six years latter I had problems with the capsule that contains the lens clouding over a bit.  That happens in some cases, but there is an even quicker outpatient laser procedure to correct that.  Takes about 30 seconds, and of course a bit of paperwork.  If anyone knows any of the above to be incorrect p[lease respond.  After all this was 14 years ago.

Also regarding Windows 11.  By the time you may or may not need Win 11 for MSFS There will be even faster processors than what's available now that are Win 11 compliant and they will no longer be top of the line so that will be relatively cheap.  Just slip one in if need be when the time comes. Its my understanding that some motherboards may not be Win 11 compliant so that might be a bigger problem on some systems.  Of course there will eventually be Win 12 and so on and so on.

Thanks for the info!  Even the doc didn't describe it in such detail.

As for a new chip, well, I'm loathe to open it and replace IC's.  I don't feel comfortable.  I'm a total, 100% iMac guy, the PC is from Jetline and it's only used for P3D.  So we'll see what happens.  All I wish for is PMDG and A2A to get on board but I don't think this will ever happen.

• Like 1

HI Jack, sorry to hear of all your medical drama's, as they say, getting old is a real b*tch. I'm blessed, I don't have a real sight problem, just weak eyes, and I need specs for reading, driving and another for the computer. I just got back home  on Sunday, after a few days in the "workshop" getting a "tune up" Doc says I'm good for another twelve months - hopefully. Our family has a long life line, my mother died at 86, my sister is 90 and still kicking - just, must be that pommy blood in our veins :). Please give my best to Martyn next time you are in touch with him. Goodluck with your surgery mate, Godbless and keep as well as you can.

Regards

Don 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

HI Jack, sorry to hear of all your medical drama's, as they say, getting old is a real b*tch. I'm blessed, I don't have a real sight problem, just weak eyes, and I need specs for reading, driving and another for the computer. I just got back home  on Sunday, after a few days in the "workshop" getting a "tune up" Doc says I'm good for another twelve months - hopefully. Our family has a long life line, my mother died at 86, my sister is 90 and still kicking - just, must be that pommy blood in our veins :). Please give my best to Martyn next time you are in touch with him. Goodluck with your surgery mate, Godbless and keep as well as you can.

Regards

Don 

Hi Don, and thanks.  I don’t know if you know this but I also have a heart aorta aneurysm which I have to have checked every year.  It’s frightening.  I hate talking about it because it gives me the willies.

I’ll tell Martyn in my next set of emails you said hello.

Things have changed so dramatically that it’s basically stunned me and him, we’re of the same mind and we both think this is some kind of horrible nightmare.

• Like 1

Cataract surgery is in my future also , it’s the sh_t’s to get old . I hope someday Jack we will see your screen shots flying 

high over OpenLC for Asia with P3D . Take care of yourself my friend . 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry your going through so much sh*t Jack.

I know in previous posts things haven't been so good.

I've had cataracts removed from both eyes and it's a big world of

difference. 35 yrs of type 1 diabetes led me to losing my eye sight for

a few months, until I had major surgery in Melbourne which improved

my vision. I'm only blind in one eye and can't see out of the other now.:D

Kidding.

Things are much better now that I don't have Diabetes after a 

Kidney and Pancreas transplant.

All the best to you and Wife and say G'day to KDK for us. 

cheers

Gumby

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Robin broke her foot in five places a week and a half ago so she has a fiberglass cast and will be in it for another four weeks, then a boot and rehab.  She's 61, a severe diabetic, and has very bad osteoporosis so it's a lot of work to take care of her.

I have cataract surgery on the 27th.  My right eye is so bad I can no longer see out of it.  It's like someone smeared vaseline on it.

Take care.

Jack

First of all: All the best to Robin and you, many people have already encouraged youo to look forward to your eye "renovation". I keep my fingers crossed, you´ll make good progress!

I no longer post P3D shots because the screens I see of the "game" make P3D look like rubbish and no offense to Orbx, I'm still blown away by Orbx's Northern California and other regions.  I still make a lot of flights in my little Orbx world in only the A2A and PMDG planes.  I know a lot of people like low and slow and seeing the sights but I like setting up an FMS or navigating VOR to VOR and all sorts of instrument procedures.  To me it is and always has been about the planes more than the scenery.  We're all different so there's that I reckon.

Exactly the same for me, Jack: I enjoy my p3dv4 (!), make nearly no change on it and flying is fun. But the eye candy of MSFS screenshots looks more spectacular, so I let them go.

On 10/16/2021 at 2:53 PM, Ripcord said:

Was just thinking about all you guys the other day.  Figured I'd stop in and just say hello.  Haven't moved to MSFS so not really actively shopping much with Orbx these days but still hoping for an odd P3Dv4 offering here and there - and really, you just gotta love this community here.

Have been enjoying some FTX Australia recently and really, as always, I like to try to go back to fly the ones I've not been to in some time.  With over 100 of them, I generally have a good selection of airports that seen almost like new.

I second all your words, Mark. And I do the same - for the time being. OLC Asia will be a great adventure, and one day I might change to a full equipped MSFS as well.

I email Martyn everyday.  He's "managing" under the circumstances in Australia if you catch my meaning.  He's still raising exotic birds which takes up an enormous amount of his time and sleep.  Sadly he'll never be able to come back for a visit but we talk a lot, on average about 20 emails a day.

Good to hear Martyn is busy but well. So sad to hear he is lost for this forum (and for flight simming). I would love to get back in contact with him... send him my greetings!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

I'm sorry your going through so much sh*t Jack.

I know in previous posts things haven't been so good.

I've had cataracts removed from both eyes and it's a big world of

difference. 35 yrs of type 1 diabetes led me to losing my eye sight for

a few months, until I had major surgery in Melbourne which improved

my vision. I'm only blind in one eye and can't see out of the other now.:D

Kidding.

Things are much better now that I don't have Diabetes after a 

Kidney and Pancreas transplant.

All the best to you and Wife and say G'day to KDK for us. 

cheers

Gumby

Thanks Gumby.  It sounds like you’ve had it tough too.  I didn’t know they even had pancreas transplants.  My wife’s diabetes is so bad that she’s disabled.  Way too many lows.  But she has a pump and the new Dexcom.

I’m looking forward to the eye being fixed, it’s dreadful with such blurriness.

Thanks and take care.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stillwater said:

First of all: All the best to Robin and you, many people have already encouraged youo to look forward to your eye "renovation". I keep my fingers crossed, you´ll make good progress!

Exactly the same for me, Jack: I enjoy my p3dv4 (!), make nearly no change on it and flying is fun. But the eye candy of MSFS screenshots looks more spectacular, so I let them go.

I second all your words, Mark. And I do the same - for the time being. OLC Asia will be a great adventure, and one day I might change to a full equipped MSFS as well.

Good to hear Martyn is busy but well. So sad to hear he is lost for this forum (and for flight simming). I would love to get back in contact with him... send him my greetings!

Thanks Gerold.

I’m about to email Martyn right now, I’ll tell him.

Take care my friend.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Taph said:

Good Luck with the Surgery Jack sorry to hear life is still difficult for you and yours. Pass on my regards to Martyn

Thanks Taph.  It’s better than the alternative right?

I’ll tell Martyn right now as I’m going to reply to his emails.

Cheers.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BradB said:

Cataract surgery is in my future also , it’s the sh_t’s to get old . I hope someday Jack we will see your screen shots flying 

high over OpenLC for Asia with P3D . Take care of yourself my friend . 

It does get old.  As for Asia, I’ll believe it when I see it.  No offense to the guys at Orbx but it’s been promised for how many hears now?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Great to hear from you Jack! I own an optometry practice and I can tell you that cataract surgery is a breeze nowadays. In and out in no time with a very quick recovery. Stand by for an HD world!

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, boetie said:

Great to hear from you Jack! I own an optometry practice and I can tell you that cataract surgery is a breeze nowadays. In and out in no time with a very quick recovery. Stand by for an HD world!

Cheers

Graeme :)

Hi Graeme, I didn’t know you were an optometrist, that’s cool!  Hopefully this time next week I’ll be seeing more clearly.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gregmorin said:

Hi Jack

Sorry to hear about your on-going health issues and life challenges. I hope your cataract surgery goes well!

Hang in there my friend!

Greg

Thanks Greg.  Some days are frustrating, some are water off a ducks's back.

• Like 1

Great to hear from you Jack, seems like a long time. Sorry to hear about you and your wife's medical issues, hoping for a speedy recovery for both of you! :)  Yunz take care of yourself now! 

Tell Martyn I said hello and that I miss seeing his 5 and 6 point landings. :rolleyes::D

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, adambar said:

Great to hear from you Jack, seems like a long time. Sorry to hear about you and your wife's medical issues, hoping for a speedy recovery for both of you! :)  Yunz take care of yourself now! 

Tell Martyn I said hello and that I miss seeing his 5 and 6 point landings. :rolleyes::D

Thanks Adam.  Can’t wait now, Wednesday, I need to see, it’s making me really frustrated.  I’ll tell Martyn.

• Like 2

On 10/22/2021 at 6:37 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Adam.  Can’t wait now, Wednesday, I need to see, it’s making me really frustrated.  I’ll tell Martyn.

I am anxious to see how your cataract surgery goes Jack , I need it done also . Anyway speedy recovery my friend .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1