Any word on Jack or KDK Martyn

gumbypickett

1 hour ago, carlosqr said:

My dear friend Jack

I'ts been long since our last chat

I do hope things get better Jack, and I wish blessings to both, you and Martyn to whom I used to chat often too

Send him my regards as well

Carlos

Thanks Carlos.  Martyn said he might stop by, can't make any promises.  Blessings to you too my friend.

Jack

• Like 2

Hi fellas.  I've been home from the cataract surgery now for over an hour.

Right eye is blurry as all get out but they say it will get better.  I think one reason is the dilation which I detest.

Also, it feels like sand in it but she says that's 100% normal.

The procedure was ten minutes, painless and they were extremely professional.

I need to apply drops every four hours for seven days.

No woodworking whatsoever (sawdust) for five days.  :unsure:And absolutely no hiking for seven.  :banghead:

It took longer to do the paperwork than the procedure.

Follow up with her tomorrow.

Have a clear eye patch that stays on all day and night today and then on at night for seven days.

Hope ya'll are well.

Jack

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Right eye is blurry as all get out but they say it will get better.  I think one reason is the dilation which I detest.

No woodworking whatsoever (sawdust) for five days.  :unsure:And absolutely no hiking for seven.  :banghead:

Have a clear eye patch that stays on all day and night today and then on at night for seven days.

Hope ya'll are well.

Jack

Good for you, Jack. Wait 'till you see the new vision capability. Amazing!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Thanks Roger.  It's been 7 hours now and everything is so much clearer and what's worse, is I now have to have the left eye done because all the colors are brighter, the whites are much whiter.  Whereas we've been in this house ten months now and I thought the walls were a grayish color, they're actually white!  She said I had a cataract on the left eye so now I gotta pay another $800 for it, ugh!  But all I really wanted was to see without the "vaseline" on my eye and man what a HUGE difference!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BradB said:

Just one eye done , that's good ; I need both done at some point . I go back to the eye doctor in a couple of weeks . Hopefully a speedy recover for you Jack .

I need them both too John but I don't know of any surgeon who will do both on the same day.  I don't know if they're even allowed to do that.  But what a huge difference.  I should have had it done a year ago!  I can't wait to see what Orbx scenery looks like now!  :)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I need them both too John but I don't know of any surgeon who will do both on the same day.  I don't know if they're even allowed to do that.  But what a huge difference.  I should have had it done a year ago!  I can't wait to see what Orbx scenery looks like now!  :)

Maybe Orlando and Charleston scenery will look better for you . LOL

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That sounds so good Jack. Keep on progressing (and relax without woodwork & hiking...)!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, John York said:

My wife and I had to have both our eyes done some years ago.  We can both see everything clearly still but wear glasses for reading so as to avoid eye strain.  You'll probably end up seeing better Jack than you ever did before.

Just now, Jack Sawyer said:

Hi John, I can see so clearly now and I don’t know if it’s because of age but the left eye (which has not been done) sees “white” in sepia and the right eye sees all white as bright white.  I wonder if this how we start out in life?  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Jack, glad it was successful.

Generally Surgeons won't do both at once as it is a jolt on your nervous system & they don't want you wandering around with both eyes patched up concurrently.

My Wife had one on a Thursday & the other on a Monday. It can be a longer gap than that depending on your age.

As you said, paperwork takes longer than the op.

I think after you have the 2nd one done you will be amazed by colors.

Of course, all your aircraft liveries will look brighter!:)

TTM

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Jack, glad it was successful.

Generally Surgeons won't do both at once as it is a jolt on your nervous system & they don't want you wandering around with both eyes patched up concurrently.

My Wife had one on a Thursday & the other on a Monday. It can be a longer gap than that depending on your age.

As you said, paperwork takes longer than the op.

I think after you have the 2nd one done you will be amazed by colors.

Of course, all your aircraft liveries will look brighter!:)

TTM

Thanks TTM.

I’m a little disorientated by the bright whites now in the new eye.

As for liveries, they never really mattered to me because when I fly I seldom look outside unless I was taking screenshots.

But to each his own.

I might make a P3D v5 flight today to see how much brighter Orbx scenery looks in the right eye. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Clarity and colors especially are the most impressive change you will see.  the cataracts grow slowly so you don't see much day to day change in colors or clarity as your vision slowly gets worse.  Then when you have the surgery everything improves all at once.  The effect is beyond dramatic.  

Jack, I had the surgery in both eyes, one about two weeks after the other. That was 14 years ago.  I'm 78 now.  We had a cold spell in Southern Oregon about two weeks ago.  Temps below freezing with the result that in the last few days fall colors have just exploded, its the most dramatic range and depth of fall colors I believe I have ever seen.   I still have days when colors just knock my socks off. So things will get better for you from here on out.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Bullfox said:

Clarity and colors especially are the most impressive change you will see.  the cataracts grow slowly so you don't see much day to day change in colors or clarity as your vision slowly gets worse.  Then when you have the surgery everything improves all at once.  The effect is beyond dramatic.  

Jack, I had the surgery in both eyes, one about two weeks after the other. That was 14 years ago.  I'm 78 now.  We had a cold spell in Southern Oregon about two weeks ago.  Temps below freezing with the result that in the last few days fall colors have just exploded, its the most dramatic range and depth of fall colors I believe I have ever seen.   I still have days when colors just knock my socks off. So things will get better for you from here on out.

Same here.  I asked her just a little while ago when I saw her for a follow up.  I asked her if this was how I saw as a child, she said yes!  Left eye will be done next month.  My right eye is now crystal clear and 2020!

• Like 5

On 10/20/2021 at 9:56 AM, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Jack,

I have had both eyes done and my vision is better than it has ever been. 

I needed to wear glasses for my whole life and now I don't need them except for close up reading.

I expect that the transformation will be as good for you, I certainly hope so.

Same as Nick…both eyes, one for distance the other for reading. Unfortunately, I have some muscle weakness in one eye for reading, which often tries to shut down. I have been prescribed prism lenses, which do not always solve the problem. 

But, to get back to the surgery,  very easy, no pain, quick recovery and my distance vision is perfect. As for close up reading it varies day by day. Today for example, I feel my left eye lid trying to close while working close up on my IPad, as I am doing now. But, it is more annoying than a handicap. Resting my eyes for a few minutes usually brings things back to normal, at least for a while. Fortunately, this has never been an issue on my PC monitor, especially when simming.

sherm

• Like 3

On 10/28/2021 at 3:44 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

Hope ya'll are well.

Jack

Told ya!!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

:)

Great to hear Jack. It's often tempting to shortcut the Docs advice because it feels so healed. Follow the the Docs advice, you'll not know yourself. Pls let us all know your experience. There's plenty of forum members (including myself in future) who will go thru this procedure. I have had the honour of witnessing the proceedure in the theatre. Amazingly quick. We're so lucky, 30 yrs ago you would be relying on Coke bottle glasses.

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, boetie said:

Great to hear Jack. It's often tempting to shortcut the Docs advice because it feels so healed. Follow the the Docs advice, you'll not know yourself. Pls let us all know your experience. There's plenty of forum members (including myself in future) who will go thru this procedure. I have had the honour of witnessing the proceedure in the theatre. Amazingly quick. We're so lucky, 30 yrs ago you would be relying on Coke bottle glasses.

Cheers

Graeme :)

Hi Graeme, I'm the kind of OCD person who take the doc's advice so seriously I have phone alarms for the drops every six hours.

I agree, my grandmother had coke bottle glasses so thick thick you could polish them and use them for telescopes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1