The Old Coots Club

77 last month and I still drink like a fish and rock'n'roll as much as possible.  Really miss the OZx site where I was allowed to beta test and behave badly.  I have been forced to buy PMDG and Aerosoft tubeliners to maintain my interest in simming while I await the Australian updates from ORBX, such a rough life ....

On 10/14/2018 at 10:48 PM, Fizzelle said:

I was a moderator of several fora back when Compuserve was the only place to discuss IT stuff and trying to keep everyone in order, and not go off topic, was a nightmare.

Ah, you were, too ?  Yes that was a real headache at times (I was involved with CompuServe's Simgames forum).  It got to the point where I decided I had better things to do with my spare time than fighting virtual fires.  Still, a good learning curve.

4 hours ago, JohnY said:

I don't have to moderate myself.  My age and wife does it for me!:rollmyeyes:

To hell with moderation…..excess and freedom of screech are human traits.

If you don't get no respect, you have to screech.:inquisition:

Edited by lawrence aldrich
spelled screech wrong......obviuslee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Mebby it's true mebby it ain't. Long time ago on a huge Pirate sailing vessel the look out yelled: Cap'n Ship ahoy on the starboard bow. The cap'n said" Cabin boy please fetch me my red coat. The boy came back with the captains red coat and asks: Captain why is your coat red? Well son if I get wounded the sailors won't see if I bleed. Lookout yells Cap'n three ships ahoy on the port side. The Cap'n says: Cabin boy fetch me my brown trousers. Oh boy.:unsure:

Edited by flyingleaf
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

Mebby it's true mebby it ain't. Long time ago on a huge Pirate sailing vessel the look out yelled: Cap'n Ship ahoy on the starboard bow. The cap'n said" Cabin boy please fetch me my red coat. The boy came back with the captains red coat and asks: Captain why is your coat red? Well son if I get wounded the sailors won't see if I bleed. Lookout yells Cap'n three ships ahoy on the port side. The Cap'n says: Cabin boy fetch me my brown trousers. Oh boy.:unsure:

First hearing for me. Love it!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A wee bit of darkish humor. Bert and Billy are two old buddies from way back. Bert is laying on his bed ready for his last long for ever sleep. Billy is holding his buddy's hand and says: Bert when you get up to heaven you must, must promise me, however you can do it but you must tell me if there is Football in heaven. Will you promise me that? OK, Billy I will. Months later Billy is fast asleep and hears this commotion and voice: Hey Billy it's me Bert. Billy says what? Bert is dead. Yep I know but it's me and I promised you to tell you if there is Football in heaven. Oh hello Bert and is there? Well I have great news and not so great news. Billy there is not only Football in heaven but it never rains we're all young and it's just awesome. Billy say's well that is great news. But what is the not so great news? Well Billy you're playing in the team next Saturday.:huh::D

Edited by flyingleaf
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, teecee said:

Of late I have had two bedtimes..one about 10PM and the other around mid day.. I feel better for it too.. Terry.

Same here Terry. I sit in my recliner just after lunch to watch the cricket or whatever else might be on the idiot box worth watching. That might be about 12:30 but the next thing I will remember is waking up around 1600 or 1700, just in time for the news.

• Haha 1

Whilst we're on the subject of sporting jokes, my favourite tells the story of two golfers meeting up at the first tee, not having met before.

Golfer 1: "Oh hell, I gotta hide, quick".

Golfer 2: "Why, what's the matter?"

Golfer 1: "I've just spotted my wife and my mistress about to follow us onto the course?

Golfer 2 looks hard at the two women, and his brow furrows: "that's a coincidence!"

Edited by Fizzelle
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

Whilst we're on the subject of sporting jokes, my favourite tells the story of two golfers meeting up at the first tee, not having met before.

Golfer 1: "Oh hell, I gotta hide, quick".

Golfer 2: "Why, what's the matter?"

Golfer 1: "I've just spotted my wife and my mistress about to follow us onto the course?

Golfer 2 looks hard at the two women, and his brow furrows: "that's a coincidence!"

Actually, the plot is even more complicated than that...

Wife 1: "Oh goodness. I have to hide quickly!"

Wife 2: "Why? What's the matter?"

Wife 1: "I've just spotted my husband and my lover about to follow us onto the course!"

Wife 2, looking hard at the two men behind them: "Now that's a coincidence!"

:rolleyes:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Old golf joke.

Foursome on the 7th tee near a road.  A funeral procession winds past and Joe stands at attention.

Golfer 1: "C'mon, Joe. You're holding us up."

Joe:  "Give me a break, guys.  It's the least I could do for my poor wife."

A golf foursome were playing and they reached the 14th green next to the main road. Just then a funeral cortege rolled past and one of the golfers raised his cap in salute.

"That's very respectful of you George", said one.

"Well", said George, "We'd been married 45 years!"

Edited by Fizzelle

• 2 weeks later...

Some time ago, teecee wrote; 'In truth, I love being old and being able to do whatever I want whenever I want to'.  I think I agreed with that at the time and I still want to be old but not this old!  I'll be 86 in a week or so and frankly, I'm now getting worried!  Its all passing far to quickly for my liking.:(

It has been said that only the good get to die young, and the rest of us get to pay for our sins and mistakes by living long enough to suffer through the aches, pains and bad memories that come with extreme old age.  I had my fun and now it's time to pay the piper.

I turn 82 next Sunday and I am quite aware that for most of us the '80s will be our last decade, but for me, I come from a family that usually makes it into their mid to late '90's.

It was a shame that I didn't have this information in my early teens, I might have not been so reckless with my body and friendships.  

I am in no big rush to go but when the time comes to rejoin my loved ones, I will welcome it without fear.

Dale

Two older men in a retirement village were sitting in the reading room and one said to the other, ‘How do you really feel? I mean, you’re 82 years old, how do you honestly feel?’
‘Honestly, I feel like a new born baby. I’ve got no hair, no teeth, and I just wet myself.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

It has been said that only the good get to die young, and the rest of us get to pay for our sins and mistakes by living long enough to suffer through the aches, pains and bad memories that come with extreme old age.  I had my fun and now it's time to pay the piper.

I turn 82 next Sunday and I am quite aware that for most of us the '80s will be our last decade, but for me, I come from a family that usually makes it into their mid to late '90's.

It was a shame that I didn't have this information in my early teens, I might have not been so reckless with my body and friendships.  

I am in no big rush to go but when the time comes to rejoin my loved ones, I will welcome it without fear.

Dale

Nicely put Dale

I have no desire to go at any time. If my cancer gets worse and I'm in agony then maybe I'll feel differently.  Until then I'm doing my thing, but I have learned to conform, at least in public.

Just as well Nick Cooper is here to keep me in check!!

Yes, well, I've made a decision.  I'm sorry about this fellers but I've decided I'm not going.  I'm enjoying life too much for all that 'rest in peace' malarky!

• Like 3

Hmmmm. Ponder this school experiment: Teacher brought in four glasses and said to his pupils: In the first glass we have whiskey. In the second glass we have wine. In the third glass we have beer. And in the fourth glass we have mineral water. Now we place a live worm into each glass and see what happens by tomorrow. Next day they all come in and see. The worms in the whiskey, beer and wine glasses were dead. The one in the mineral water was happily swimming around. Teacher: Well, what does this tell us?: Johnny yelled right away: People who drink Whiskey, Beer or Wine have NO worms.:rolleyes::P:D 

• Like 2

On 3/3/2019 at 9:08 AM, JohnY said:

Yes, well, I've made a decision.  I'm sorry about this fellers but I've decided I'm not going.  I'm enjoying life too much for all that 'rest in peace' malarky!

I have 2 wives waiting for me, I don't expect much peace.:D

Dale

• Haha 1

Rodger said; ' I don't want t live to 200! '

Well, I do Rodger.   86 today and as long as I can read, eat and be without too much pain and visit you lot from time to time, I want to stay where I am.  Life is great.  We don't know what the other place is like and I'd rather not find out!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnY said:

86 today and as long as I can read, eat and be without too much pain and visit you lot from time to time, I want to stay where I am.  Life is great.  We don't know what the other place is like and I'd rather not find out!

Happy Birthday, John !     I'm with your beliefs.  Live long and prosper !

Thanks fellers.  Don't know about the prosper bit though JMBIII.

I've been thinking about what I miss because of being old.  The main thing I can think of is playing golf.  I still go to the golf club twice a week for coffee and a banter but must admit when they start going out I do envy them.   Well, not always.  With our English weather especially where I live on the coast I'm sometimes relieved not to be playing!

The payback, and there always is one of course, is while they're risking pneumonia and battling the elements, I'm sitting in the warm and dry reading my latest Western and being royally waited on by my wife.

Sometimes, I even fly but I do wish there was some decent scenery for Eastern Europe and Asia.  I once tried flying in China using the P3D default.  What a joke.  I could have been flying in downtown chicago! 

John

Edited by JohnY
wording