The Old Coots Club

13 hours ago, JMBIII said:

I always thought the answer to all those questions was 42. (Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything)

Deep Thought did, indeed, find the Ultimate Answer to be 42. But he ever understood the Ultimate Question because those who asked him to find the Ultimate Answer didn't know what the Ultimate Question was in the first. But, DT provided us with planet Earth and the job of finding what the Ultimate Question was (and is) now falls to us.......................... 

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:35 AM, JohnY said:

I'm not upset mate. Sorry if I came over like that.  I just don't understand this; ' The second law of thermodynamics ,and consequently the resulting entropy, is supreme'.

Any chance of a translation?

John

I'll workout a comprehensive answer in gibberish.

:inquisition:

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Thanks.

I have removed the answer and the post it responded to.

The answer has indeed no place here.

The post was fine but had to go.

I agree Nick. The world is indeed simpler when we are just chatting about aeroplanes!

It's an old coots site, and except when the mods say no, I think we can discuss subjects close to our hearts.. Nick makes sure we don't cross the line. There are a zillion sites about A/C and simming, so I believe, as old coots, we enjoy reminiscing and chatting about wherever the subject takes  us.

And to bring things back on track I'd like to tell you a true story about an experience I had 2 weeks ago.

I went to the Isle of Arran for a week (gorgeous scenery BTW) and was idly glancing skyward as I heard an aero engine flitting overhead. Focussing (difficult with reading glasses), I spotted what looked like a SR20 or SR22 not sure which.

I actually said out loud, in a moment of real-time rumination (ie speaking without thinking first), "I wonder if that's the P3D or X-Plane version."

Twit!

Anyway for those interested in the scenery etc, take off from Prestwick (EGPK) and fly to Campbeltown (EGEC), as I am pretty sure that's where the aeroplane was heading.

Campbeltown is, of course, famous for Machrihanish Golf Links, designed by Old Tom Morris himself.

• Haha 1

I would like to make a brief comment about this Forum and this thread of it. The ORBX forums are my first and only introduction to such discussions. I didn't realize how nasty and personal other sites could be until I went to one the other day to follow an individual's posts. Fifteen minutes later, I had shut it down and was looking for a place to purge my stomach. 

The ORBX Moderators do a heck of a job keeping the conversation within pleasant limits. And (so far as I know) participants make considerable effort to remain civil and considerate. I always feel like I am among friends here, and I never fail to enjoy the conversation.

So....That's what I think about that. Thanks for letting me say it.

8 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

I would like to make a brief comment about this Forum and this thread of it. The ORBX forums are my first and only introduction to such discussions. I didn't realize how nasty and personal other sites could be until I went to one the other day to follow an individual's posts. Fifteen minutes later, I had shut it down and was looking for a place to purge my stomach. 

The ORBX Moderators do a heck of a job keeping the conversation within pleasant limits. And (so far as I know) participants make considerable effort to remain civil and considerate. I always feel like I am among friends here, and I never fail to enjoy the conversation.

So....That's what I think about that. Thanks for letting me say it.

And we'll defend your right to say it Rodger!

I no longer browse other fora now for exactly the reasons you state. It's all "my sim is better than yours" etc etc and I'm fed up with it.

I wonder why (kids?) people get so possessive and dogmatic about flight simming? I mean it's a pretty innocuous subject on the face of it, and I don't really understand the processes going on. ORBX's is like a breath of fresh air, and long may it so remain!

Only just came across this forum this morning.  Indeed, what a breath of fresh air it is compared with some other fora (or, yes I do confess : Facebook groups) that seem to be inhabited by too many juveniles with little ability to occasionally laugh at themselves or entertain a civil discussion !  Just by way of an introduction : I'm a (Dutch) Kiwi, been into flightsimming since starting with M$ FS4 in 1990, despite all the time spent at the rig still happily married almost 38 years after saying I Do (which thereafter and forevermore changes into Yes Dear), just turned 66 three days ago, and wearer of hearing aids since last Friday.  Switched from FSX to P3D earlier this year and now just about to be able to go flying again, after overcoming hurdles put in the way by M$'s insistence on doing updates whenever it is the least convenient.  I'll certainly check out this forum more regularly from now on, as I enjoy learning from more experienced people, as well as a bit of banter and a chuckle :D

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Doc_Z said:

No political discussion was one of basic tenets of this forum.

Well, as the originator of this site I can say that I wanted a site where us Old Coots could get together and just talk about almost anything within the limits set upon us by ORBX

To state flatly that there will be no political speech is for many of us like saying why don't you stop breathing.  Almost everything is political speech.  Doc Z's post its self is political speech because it sets a limit on speech. 

I feel sure that Nick or some other Administrator will quickly step in to quell any and all arguments over which opinion is right.  

"Mine is better than yours" has no place on this forum. 

Unless you are stating a scientifically proven fact, it is, and will always be, just an opinion. 

I am in the camp that says you can have and state your opinion, just don't argue about it.

This is my opinion and I am sticking with it.

BTW, we become Old Coots once we become old enough to quit caring about what others think and do it anyway just because we want to.  Time for us is short and waiting for approval just doesn't cut it. 

As we say out here in West Texas, "Hold My Beer and Watch This".

Clear skies and smooth flying to all of us.

Dale

• Like 1

Hello Dale,

there are two missing posts, the second of which was a comment on a specific

issue and was indeed political.

You appear to have first misquoted Doc_Z who wrote "political discussion" and then redefined "political"  to become " of opinion".

The definition is clear

Definition of political 

1a : of or relating to government, a government, or the conduct of government

b : of, relating to, or concerned with the making as distinguished from the administration of governmental policy

2 : of, relating to, involving, or involved in politics and especially party politics

as taken from your own American dictionary.

For more than 150 years, in print and now online, Merriam-Webster has been America's leading and most-trusted provider of language information.

Here is the forum rule:

Posts containing religious, political, sexual, discriminatory, or otherwise controversial/offensive content are not allowed and will result in an instant ban.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

If you're reading this Doc_Z, please don't go mate.  I had written a post which Nick interpreted as controversial (I think that was the reason?) and it was deleted by Nick too.  Its just a question of taking it for what it is mate.  We have moderators on all the Orbx forums and, in the main, they are doing a good job.  Just because our opinion may sometimes differ from their's is no reason to get the hump and leave mate.

John

Hi Nick.

I read Doc_Z's answer and yes, it may have been controversial and certainly one I wouldn't subscribe to myself but he has the right to an opinion.  However, because of that, it is a shame that expressing the joy I experienced while watching the two Royal Weddings this year had to go too.;)

John

10 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello John,

your post was fine but it attracted an answer that was not.

It made sense only to delete them both.

Dear Nick

I was a moderator of several fora back when Compuserve was the only place to discuss IT stuff and trying to keep everyone in order, and not go off topic, was a nightmare. So my respects to you. I apologise for my ill-informed comments and I won't respond similarly again, although the post you consider as "fine" was not, in my book. Anyway, you're the boss, so I'll not react to (what I consider) to be "political" comments in the future.

So saying, and to put this into context, is the link I'm showing below not political? That's the last you'll hear from me on this subject.

Sorry once again.

Prestwick (EGPK) and fly to Campbeltown (EGEC),

Thanks Fizelle, I'm going to do that flight this afternoon.  You're right, the scenery up there is incredibly beautiful.

John

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JohnY said:

Prestwick (EGPK) and fly to Campbeltown (EGEC),

Thanks Fizelle, I'm going to do that flight this afternoon.  You're right, the scenery up there is incredibly beautiful.

John

Yes John and there are some good Orthos for X-Plane for it. However, as I understand it, you're a P3D man so you'll have to wait for that version of TE!

Best wishes.

Yes, I have P3Dv4 as my sim' Fizelle, but I have photographic scenery overlaid with textures and all sorts of addons (including airports) so I get a pretty fair idea of what a place really does look like.  I'm really looking forward to True Earth though.

Down here I can pick out and land my helicopter on the 1st tee at my local golf club,  just down the road from where I live. Mind you, where I live is shown as an overflow carpark for Butlins because the photographic scenery was taken before the buildings were constructed!

John

Another great well monitored forum site is the sim out-house. As friendly as this site and political get  shut down very quickly. I am a mod over there and we tend to watch some threads develop and if they look like getting nasty a arning shot is fired across their bows and if that doesn't work thread gets shut down.

And that's another thing!

The forum has become so fragmented with separate sub forums I don't know where to post anything any more. Mind you, I don't know where I am half the time anyway.  Its embarrassing ending up in the bedroom when I meant to go into the toilet.  And, by the time I get where I want to go, I've forgotten what I went there for!

Any ideas  folks?

John

• Haha 1

Mate if you are talking about  the main Orbx forum, I agree with you..I find it so complex with various sims and languages that I keep hoping that  Orbx will break it down into various  forums  (Languages, flight sim types and so on) IT has got to the point for me that I skim the headings and end up only looking at a very few,

I think this thread may bring me as slap on the hand or worse, but I have felt this way for some time. Terry.

Hate to be an enthusiast, but at age 75 I check ORBX every day--the General Discussion Old Coots Club and the Community Screenshots. By now, I have a sense of the personalities who contribute regularly and would hate to spend a day without them. I enjoy the little side jaunts that take place, and I specially treasure the personal stories and memories that are shared. Lots of good people here who have lived interesting lives. That's all good in my book.:smile:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hate to be an enthusiast, but at age 75 I check ORBX every day--the General Discussion Old Coots Club and the Community Screenshots. By now, I have a sense of the personalities who contribute regularly and would hate to spend a day without them. I enjoy the little side jaunts that take place, and I specially treasure the personal stories and memories that are shared. Lots of good people here who have lived interesting lives. That's all good in my book.:smile:

Have a drink on me - but not just before flight!

• Haha 1