No upgrade fee for Orbx products for next version of P3D

John Venema

Hi all,

There's been a bunch of speculation about our pricing policy for the next version of P3D, likely based on my previous posts back in December.

Let me clarify: we will NOT be charging anything for our products for the next version of P3D. They will be 100% free to use on the new platform. Better still, through the magic of FTXCv3 you won't even need to re-download them.

Please do NOT ask me or any member of the Orbx team about any tech details about any new P3D releases from LM, or why we can make this zero-cost promise. We are under NDA and we will not be pressed into talking about it for obvious reasons. If and when LM give us permission to discuss things publicly then we'll do so.

I just wanted to reassure those with a sizeable investment in Orbx products for P3D that you won't be asked a penny more to upgrade.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speechless! I own - and enjoy - all of your products and however this will work, I'll take it the way it does.

Thank you and your team, you certainly had at least the burden of testing

Michael

First of all a big THANK YOU for this!

Okay, no tech questions... but can you say something about the expected duration to convert ORBX addons from v3 to lets name it v4 compatibility? Will it be a quickie or is it possible that we have to wait as long as with v2 > v3?

25 minutes ago, Simson said:

First of all a big THANK YOU for this!

Okay, no tech questions... but can you say something about the expected duration to convert ORBX addons from v3 to lets name it v4 compatibility? Will it be a quickie or is it possible that we have to wait as long as with v2 > v3?

There will be no wait, FTXCv3 will do it all for you. That capability has already been added to the current build of FTXC which you have now.  That's all I can say, please don't push any further ;)

9 minutes ago, John Venema said:

There will be no wait, FTXCv3 will do it all for you. That capability has already been added to the current build of FTXC which you have now.  That's all I can say, please don't push any further ;)

Thanks, sir!

43 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Thank you! Great work and excellent news! Look forward to seeing you guys again at flightsimcon!

This has made the decision to move to a new version of P3D more enticing.

Happy with what I have but if improvements are realised in P3D it will make the transition less costly - just the cost of the new P3D version and a bit of minor manipulation of the holder of the purse strings.

This is great news, it leads to a couple of conclusions:

1. P3DV4 is coming, when, perhaps a year.

2. Orbx has a firm grip on the new code, and the technical expertise to move the existing base without significant cost.

3. New products coming up will not see a drop in sales, which could have had an impact on Orbx cashflow, need to pay the bills!

A real win/win all around, and probably a very carefully thought out decision.

Fantastic John, thank you. I wasn't going to upgrade to any more versions of P3D because of the expense I expected to incur upgrading my Orbx scenery.  Now I will look forward to it. You are a great team.

Thank you again. :wub::wub::wub:

8 hours ago, Neil said:

This is great news, it leads to a couple of conclusions:

1. P3DV4 is coming, when, perhaps a year.

Nah, I don't think it will take this long. JV - as a serious business man - won't make announcements of this kind so far ahead.There could be too many things happen in between.

But now let's end speculation, otherwise the topic will get locked. ^_^

And of course, JV, thank you very much!

16 hours ago, John Venema said:

...Please do NOT ask me or any member of the Orbx team about any tech details about any new P3D releases from LM, or why we can make this zero-cost promise. We are under NDA and we will not be pressed into talking about it for obvious reasons. If and when LM give us permission to discuss things publicly then we'll do so...

Thanks for the update, and regarding the " We cannot talk..." thing,... thats OK as well. Lets have 6-7 beers anyway. cheers

Archived