No upgrade fee for Orbx products for next version of P3D

John Venema

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, BBQSteve said:

I thought I read elsewhere in the forum that all that was required is a dll update. No?

This is certainly underestimated. ORBX could hope it's only that, but they still have to test all their 120+ addons are working properly.

Kind regards, Michael

5 hours ago, wolfko said:

Nah, I don't think it will take this long. JV - as a serious business man - won't make announcements of this kind so far ahead.There could be too many things happen in between.

But now let's end speculation, otherwise the topic will get locked. ^_^

And of course, JV, thank you very much!

Wolfko,, good reply, I hope you are right! As long as we get Innsbruck, in the next little while.

19 hours ago, John Venema said:

I just wanted to reassure those with a sizeable investment in Orbx products for P3D that you won't be asked a penny more to upgrade.

... and this is exactly what makes me much more relaxed investing in todays add-ons. Like that!

Wow is most definitely the word. ORBX has got to be about the most customer oriented (ouch, I hate those sort of expressions) company I've ever had any dealings with. First I get a present of a very splendid old **rts discount on all the products, and now this.

Thank you very much, and I hope you all prosper hugely in spite of all this generosity.

1 hour ago, pmb said:

This is certainly underestimated. ORBX could hope it's only that, but they still have to test all their 120+ addons are working properly.

Kind regards, Michael

I don't think I underestimated anything, just stated a posted fact. Anything else would be speculation given the details.

This is a triple win situation for me.  I will be able to move from FSX to P3D, use my current Orbx sceneries at no upgrade cost, which will free up my money to purchase the latest Orbx releases.  Just great news all around, thanks JV!    

John, this is indeed an excellent announcement and a sign of great continuing customer service and loyalty.

From time to time I'm tempted to move to P3D but every time when I look at their pricing options I'm put off by their non encouragement towards home use. And I'm not happy with the idea of posing as an Academic user. To me it is paramount to a form of Piracy. I hope they will one day concede and give respect to home users as  a genuine or bonified user.

Until then I will just stay with FSX:SE and observe the development towards 64Bit Sims.

Great news. Since John said: Better still, through the magic of FTXCv3 you won't even need to re-download them. I believe we are already running the re-compiled scenery version with a switch it is running the 32bit version now but when we select P3D v4 the scenery will then run the 64bit version.

Very clever 

First off Thank You! I see this as two folds in great news, from us users and from the developers. Us users in the ability to look forward to continuing a great collection of addons and not having to start over with rebuilding a new library and for the developers who will be able to see continued sells of their great products with what would seem to be little effort into expanding into a new platform.

On 2/20/2017 at 4:15 PM, John Venema said:

Better still, through the magic of FTXCv3 you won't even need to re-download them.

JV can you expand on this a bit more for clarity. My question is basically to cover if each version will have their own files basically doubling the amount of space used on a hard drive and if everything is mostly residing in the P3Dv3 folder (for those of us who would be switching up and not starting new), if and when one wants to remove v3 and go full v4 would that process go smoothly on file transfers?

Files are copied from one version of P3D to another, effectively doubling your storage usage. However, if the new version of P3D is on another drive you can overcome this issue. Perhaps invest in a new dedicated SSD for the new sim?

The reason for copying and not moving files is that it will take longer for aircraft developers to release their products for the new sim so you likely will not want to nuke your V3 installation anyway. It is always advisable to run a parallel setup when a new version comes out.

5 minutes ago, Kilstorm said:

JV can you expand on this a bit more for clarity. My question is basically to cover if each version will have their own files basically doubling the amount of space used on a hard drive and if everything is mostly residing in the P3Dv3 folder (for those of us who would be switching up and not starting new), if and when one wants to remove v3 and go full v4 would that process go smoothly on file transfers?

This was my proposal:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/130942-a-question-on-orbx-in-the-upcoming-prepar3dx/

which, however, does not seem to be supported.

Kind regards, Michael

13 minutes ago, John Venema said:

The reason for copying and not moving files is that it will take longer for aircraft developers to release their products for the new sim so you likely will not want to nuke your V3 installation anyway. It is always advisable to run a parallel setup when a new version comes out.

Personally, I can live with this decision as I just got a new system with enough SSD space, and I am rather happy we'll get the upgrades for free anyway. I just thought it would be a clever move to follow the LM guidelines on this occasion.

Kind regards, Michael

Personally, I can live with this decision as I just got a new system with enough SSD space, and I am rather happy we'll get the upgrades for free anyway. I just thought it would be a clever move to follow the LM guidelines on this occasion.

Kind regards, Michael

With all due respect, LM's guidelines came 7 years after we began our design process (with Microsoft's blessing) which requires core system files to be managed by our apps and many of our files replacing default ones.

We proposed white papers to MS, LM and also DTG over a period of some six years, and these papers outlined a clean and neat way for us to live anywhere on a PC with our control files no longer global replacements. Alas, not one of those companies seemed to place much importance on the deglobalisation of core system files.

3 minutes ago, TheGreenToad said:

Does this also affect the ORBX aircraft, i.e. will they be released later as well?

Orbx aircraft will not be supported in the new version from day one, if at all. Since those two developers are no longer working for Orbx they may well be orphaned into legacy products and offered at low cost. I have not decided on that yet.

Archived