No upgrade fee for Orbx products for next version of P3D

John Venema

Thanks John for the quick and clear answer, helps me out and probably others and I like the solution of having two versions on different drives. I almost pulled the trigger on a new system build this morning but told myself that I was going to wait until next year for that. (dont like my MoBo too much as it gives me issues at start up) I too will be one of those who saddles v3 and v4 for some time until a select amount of addons make the move over if at all.

I'm in a rush to see the release of a new version if what I believe is rumored to be true about it but not in a hurry to get it after release. Its OOM that kills me in P3D but other than those I would see P3Dv3 as a finished product that I could enjoy for sometime without the need to update.  Once enough addons are there for the next version I'll be making the switch and it will most likely be on a computer that will hold both v3 and v4 so its good to know what to expect for file placement and size since I am also looking to computer upgrade in the near future.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks WebMaximus but my OOM are more related to using FlyInside and pushing the settings up. FlyInside (VR application) uses a bit more VAS than running P3D without it, at least in the current version and I have the eye candy cranked so its just a matter of setting profiles for different planes and areas. 

I'm using FlyInside myself with no OOM/VAS issues doing all my flying in the NGX with all global Orbx products, AS16 wx, lots of payware airports etc but maybe I'm a bit more conservative looking at the various settings both inside P3D as well as in FlyInside.

19 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

As for OOMs in P3Dv3 I solved that issue by going back from v3.4 to v3.2 and many others did the same thing.

Might be worth a try if you haven't already and are currently on 3.4.

WebMaximus, that is very interesting. I have P3Dv3.4.18.19475 and often OOMs. Can I simply reinstall the client 3.2.3.16769 about it without destroying anything?

3 hours ago, MikeFlight said:

WebMaximus, that is very interesting. I have P3Dv3.4.18.19475 and often OOMs. Can I simply reinstall the client 3.2.3.16769 about it without destroying anything?

Can't say for sure since I decided to go all the way doing a fresh installation of P3Dv3.2 but I've heard people saying reinstalling the client should be all it takes.

I always use an application called AOMEI Backupper which allows me to make a complete backup before I do any potentially dangerous operations.

That way it's very easy to get back to where I was before I changed anything should I want to and there's a fully functional free version available if you like to try it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noted from other web site that P3D will be issued the 64 bit version this year. Would this mean that the free update for Orbx products for the new version of P3D are inclued in 64 bit version. If yes, that is a very very good news.

On 3/9/2017 at 8:04 PM, hkterry said:

Just noted from other web site that P3D will be issued the 64 bit version this year. Would this mean that the free update for Orbx products for the new version of P3D are inclued in 64 bit version. If yes, that is a very very good news.

Yes, Terry - at oeast as I I understand it we can keep purchasing Orbx add ons with confidence and use them free of charge when P3D v4 64 bit comes - it is very good news indeed!

Especially with new add ons on the horizon!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

ORBX is the most spectacular add on ever. I've invested greatly in ORBX sceneries over the past year and with this news the investment will continue! You are creative, brilliant, and courteous. Thanks for this excellent news!

Wow, this is great news! Considering all the work you put into updating everything for P3D v2 and v3, I would happily have paid a small fee for any future updates. I guess I'll support you by buying some more addons instead :)

I will be buying many more OrbX products in the future even if our current products would not be useable in next LM sim

Reading into the details of info given out by OrbX they will introduce new technology that only the next version of the sim can fully utilise

So everyone can be happy with what is coming from OrbX over the next few years

Well done OrbX for all you have given us so far and what new ideas you have for us in the future

I am pleasantly surprised and obviously very pleased with this announcement!

I was leaning towards NOT purchasing the next full version of P3D when it came out, simply because I am disappointed that for both v2 and it appears now v3, LM ended their development cycle with some significant issues/bugs in the engine left unaddressed (e.g. VAS, water reflections and shadowing, jittery rendering performance, etc for v3).  And migrating to a new version that would presumably fix those issues would mean not just investing in the new sim version, but also not insignificant investments in updating add-ons.  With Orbx being by far the largest add-on investment that I have in P3D, this announcement makes it more likely that I would be willing to make the jump to the new platform.  LM should give you guys commission on their sales of v4 LOL!

This makes me much more willing to give v4 a look, depending on how much of an advance over v3 is turns out to be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 0:30 PM, purduekev said:

I am pleasantly surprised and obviously very pleased with this announcement!

I was leaning towards NOT purchasing the next full version of P3D when it came out, simply because I am disappointed that for both v2 and it appears now v3, LM ended their development cycle with some significant issues/bugs in the engine left unaddressed (e.g. VAS, water reflections and shadowing, jittery rendering performance, etc for v3).  And migrating to a new version that would presumably fix those issues would mean not just investing in the new sim version, but also not insignificant investments in updating add-ons.  With Orbx being by far the largest add-on investment that I have in P3D, this announcement makes it more likely that I would be willing to make the jump to the new platform.  LM should give you guys commission on their sales of v4 LOL!

This makes me much more willing to give v4 a look, depending on how much of an advance over v3 is turns out to be.

Seriously? They product is fine... Its people who push too much on the sim.

49 minutes ago, elmucki said:

Seriously? They product is fine... Its people who push too much on the sim.

In my case pushing 3.2 vs 3.4 with the exact same settings and amount of add-ons yields a very different result where the biggest difference is in 3.4 my flight usually ends up on my desktop after having a CTD due to an OOM condition while doing the very same flight in 3.2 ends exactly where it was planned to end...by the gate at my destination airport.

So yeah...the product is fine but not all versions of it and certainly not for everyone depending on what settings and add-ons you use for your normal flying.

3 hours ago, WebMaximus said:

depending on what settings and add-ons you use for your normal flying.

And voilla, you have it. You cant expect to use all these different add ons at max settings and expect it not to have a hard time running it.

I'll be honest here, i run the QOTS, AS16, REX textures, and so forth and use ORBX, FSDT, Flightbeam and so on. I can not complete a flight from KSAN to KLAX without OOM at max settings. But thats not a P3D issue, not even close.

Maybe in the default C172 or other default plane, but thats about it.

3 minutes ago, elmucki said:

And voilla, you have it. You cant expect to use all these different add ons at max settings and expect it not to have a hard time running it.

I suggest you re-read my post...I have zero issues completing flights with lots of VAS left using P3Dv3.2 despite using a myriad of add-ons and fairly high settings...they very same settings and add-ons that in P3Dv3.4 will cause an OOM CTD 9 out of 10 times.

If the problem were the settings or the add-ons used I would see the same problem in P3Dv3.2, don't you agree?

I have FSX:SE but P3D is looking inviting, but I have yet to make the jump to P3D because I thought there is / was an upgrade cost to migrate to P3D.  So with the new version of P3D, for us FSXers there is no upgrade cost to move from FSX to P3D v4....correct?

Because if so....I'm going shopping knowing that I can migrate to P3D in the future.

Yes, it has been stated clearly, and you can go shopping indeed. Which, I would say, has been a very generous decision as there will be at least a testing effort and required reprogramming of the flows.

Kind regards, Michael

2 hours ago, pmb said:

Yes, it has been stated clearly, and you can go shopping indeed. Which, I would say, has been a very generous decision as there will be at least a testing effort and required reprogramming of the flows.

Kind regards, Michael

Excellent....just wanted it to be CLEARLY stated once more as somethings that seem to be good to be true are sometimes not.  Now I'm just waiting for the fallout from my wife looking at the CC statement.....

This is great news and will certainly keep me with P3D going forward :D

Had a full system burn-out not long ago, and only just got my new build stable due to a faulty memory stick ... Possibly going to wait for P3Dv4 before spending the many days needed for downloading, installing and setting up again. 

While I have installed a personal moratorium on aircraft buys in light of the upcoming P3D4, the same is not true for scenery buys - thanks to your announcement.

Owning a Rift I will definitely give AFS2 a try but my main platform will be P3D for the foreseeable future.

I've gradually built my orbx collection over the last 2 years and probably spent way too much, but lately had been wondering if it might be better to take a wait and see approach with how the move to a new 64bit P3D would work.

So when I saw the 47% sale I was going to sit this one out until I decided do a search this morning and found this thread. Thanks to this thread my wallet just got a lot lighter, because  I bought up a bunch of new scenery, safe in the knowledge I won't have to spend again to move to the next version of P3D.

I've almost got every scenery orbx make now, plus most of the AU airports :) 

Also bought Innsbruck which wasn't on sale, but looked too good to resist. Time to go fly...

Hi John

I was looking to move on from FSX and will.... especially with this news of my OrbX purchases being still useable in "the new flight sim v4...you know what I mean". I don't want to get into any trouble for mentioning it. The only question I have is how do I re install my OrbX stuff from FTX Central if when I open FTX Central now (I am using FSX Steam) the install button is not available to install (because it's already installed) so how would I install my OrbX stuff in the new flight sim if that is not available. I'm not very good with computers but before I purchase "the you know what sim", I need to know how to install all my OrbX. I actually want to buy more scenery and want to make sure I know how to install it.

Can I have both sims on my computer at the same time with all my OrbX stuff or do I have to delete FSX first?

Please help.

Thanks.

Pete.

After installing the new sim - whatever it will be called :) -  you get a simulator selection while opening FTX Central. After selecting the proper one it displays all the titles you own and you can select which one to install in this simulator.

I have several (at present two) sims running in parallel and it works that way.

This implies FTX Central 3 will be made aware of the new sim, but it certainly will be soon after release or, maybe, has already been in advance.

And of course, I would not expect all titles to be available for the new sim from day one, but ORBX will certainly tell us after release.

Kind regards, Michael

That's great. Thanks so much for letting me know. Does that mean that all the different types of titles will work in the new sim for example Global Base and Global Vector as well as openLC Europe and North America as well as regions and specific airports just as they do now with FSX?

Thanks

Pete.

I suppose, yes. As I said, maybe not all of them from the beginning, but eventually, yes.

Only exception John Venema mentioned are the planes, where the developers are no longer available and which would (naturally) require quite more code to be rewritten than the sceneries.

Kind regards, Michael

The parallel local install only works P3DV3 to P3Dv4. It won't work with FSX because we create unique versions of our addons for P3D.

So in your case you would have to run FTX Central, select P3Dv4 and then install each product by downloading from OrbxDirect via the CDN.

Also, P3Dv4 support in FTX Central is not a 'day one' option - we have much work to do in the background to make all this work, including Objectdlow.dll and a bunch of compatibility stuff that has emerged in the past six weeks.

Nevertheless, it will happen, and it will be free; you will just need to wait for us to do the work to make it seamless once V4 is released. I would expect the wait to be in weeks not months though.

Just now, John Venema said:

The parallel local install only works P3DV3 to P3Dv4. It won't work with FSX because we create unique versions of our addons for P3D.

So in your case you would have to run FTX Central, select P3Dv4 and then install each product by downloading from OrbxDirect via the CDN.

Also, P3Dv4 support in FTX Central is not a 'day one' option - we have much work to do in the background to make all this work, including Objectdlow.dll and a bunch of compatibility stuff that has emerged in the past six weeks.

Nevertheless, it will happen, and it will be free; you will just need to wait for us to do the work to make it seamless once V4 is released. I would expect the wait to be in weeks not months though.

Outstanding John!  Thank you for the update.  The excitement builds, I can't wait.  And if it takes a while to get all my Orbx stuff in the sim, no big deal, this is a great time to be simming.  We'll have FSX legacy, several versions of P3D, AS2, and Dovetail's new offering.  Can't complain at all.

Thanks to you all for clearing all this up. Very excited about future simming especially knowing I will be able to use all my OrbX stuff. Can't do this without OrbX for sure.

Thanks again...now I have to do some shopping for my next OrbX purchase.

Cheers.

This is awesome news for me, seeing that I own every ORBX FTX scenery product.  Your quality of product and generous customer support will keep me purchasing new products as they come out.  I will likely hold off on purchasing P3DV4 until upgrades to my favorite A2A and PMDG aircraft are available.  I hope other popular scenery developers, FSDT, Flightbeam, etc., follow your lead.  I look forward to flying without encountering those nasty OOM messages.  Thank you John and the FTX Team for all of the excellent work you do!

Hello.
Allow me to ask a question here, as I do not know whatsoever else I can ask this question. I am currently using FSX with a variety of products I have purchased from you. Considering trying P3D now, and will install this on a separate disk on the same PC. My question is then whether it is possible to use the same products also on PD3. May I uninstall all the products from FSX and reinstall them on PD3?. Most preferably, I want to use the same products both on FSX and PD3, as I have a lot of aircraft that will not be able to drive on PD3. I hope I will not have to buy all the products again. If there is a place on this forum where this question is raised, please refer to me.

With best regards

Helge S Hansen
norway

You don't have to buy your Orbx products again if you have both FSX and P3D. 

Just install P3D and FTX Central will detect it. Then install your products that are in your OrbxDirect account into P3D by downloading them via FTX Central.

Would i therefore be correct in saying that you would not be able to use the copy of your Orbx backup folder method to install into v4?

You know, the method described as a time saver if you needed to reinstall your sim for some reason, and that reinstalls must actually be new installs from downloads or backup zips.

Archived