This Week's Meaningless Topic (#65) (Dec 4)

Hi all. Over the years, as flight simulation programs and Orbx have evolved, we flight simmers have had a long series of thrills. When Microsoft F9 came out, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. When Orbx released the PNW full-on regional, I almost had to go to the emergency room because of hyperventilation. Wow and Wow again! Such is the nature of this great hobby--it never stops providing joy. And that brings us to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: What Orbx release has given you the most enjoyment?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

All the western U.S. regions and airports.  I love the realism of flying on PilotEdge, and these regions and airports coincide very neatly with the PE area.  Special favorites: KSBA KPSP, KMRY, and the odd little mountain top strip, KBLU.

Ken

• Like 6

In the early days there was only FSX.  It was good fun but in my opinion was far short on realism.  When Orbx was released it gradually changed all that and corrected some of the glaring incorrectness of the FSX scenery.  The only complaint I had was, and I know it couldn't be helped and they were large areas, the slowness of the releases was galling   Nevertheless, although still not real,  the Orbx scenery was a vast improvement and heralded the gradual change to more realism.  I did get a bit fed up with flying in Australia though so obviously, for me, it was nice when it was Europe's turn.  

• Like 5

this is a difficult question, KORS I just love, was my first one I bought, Global & vector changed how everything looked....initially I wasn't sure about the TE areas but eventually I bought them all......far to many for me to pin it down to one, first area I remember thinking was a game changer was PNW, I remember using that with an Otter and Air Hauler...

• Like 6

for me Australia, could not buy the individual regions when they were released as I did not have a PC that could  run them, so had to wait until  I  could  afford to upgrade

my PC. Then ordered Australia and waited for the disks to be delivered, pure joy

• Like 5

I  really enjoyed the freeware Global Airport Pack for FSX and P3d, you could fly just about anywhere and land at local airports that actually looked like it does in real life.

I have been tempted to reinstall P3d just to use those airports.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Taph said:

Then ordered Australia and waited for the disks to be delivered, pure joy

Oh you remind me of that time, long ago, when we were eagerly waiting for the disks. Yes, this was a real pleasure, that feeling of really deciding-waiting-postman arriving-installing was just like in childhood!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, lifejogger said:

I  really enjoyed the freeware Global Airport Pack for FSX and P3d, you could fly just about anywhere and land at local airports that actually looked like it does in real life.

I have been tempted to reinstall P3d just to use those airports.

After seeing this video of the new 5.3 , I could be motivated also :

Cheers

John

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

That video was the most fun watching flt sim I've ever had!  Very well done.   I haven't seen passengers going down stairs anywhere else.  Anyone know if this is an addon airport or addon aircraft that does this?   Amazing

I think it must be GSXv2, don't have it installed at the minute though....p3d....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I'm using FSX Steam and P3D4 depending on the planes I want to use. I know MSFS 2020 is gorgeous, and P3D5 is wonderful, and X-Plane 11 is super, but, dang, my two old boys are still pretty darned good, too. I may be hitting the limit of what is good enough for me. Just saying.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

KHQM Bowerman and it was free!  I long for that to come to MSFS (here's hoping).  Spent many a flight hopping over to 7S3 Starks Twin Oaks and WA79 Walter Sutton's and frankly all of those lovely little airfields in Pacific Northwest.  But I always seemed to return to Bowerman time after time.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Definitely the original Aussie coloured regions - I still have the discs

however - a very close second would be YMMB - Moorabbin where I did all my initial flying

and where I kept all my aircraft - and Orbx got it so right !

I forgot to mention I also built an extinguisher factory at the end of runway 33

People said I did that to keep and eye on my aircraft from my window

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

PNW. The free Bowerman demo was my first acquaintance with Orbx and I immediately fell in love with PNW and I am still today although I use MSFS nowadays.

+1

I completely agree.  It was my all time favourite and with my little core2 duo, FSX and I had a marvelous time exploring so many interesting places in the PNW.

Ah those were the days :D

Cheers

Pete

• Like 2