Neil Hill is no longer with us

I am saddened by Neil’s passing.  I first met Neil at his home at the suggestion of his friend Rob Abernathy just as the first beta of CAC8 was being tested.  I was very discouraged, figuring I could never fix all the problems found, and I had decided just to do it for myself as had been my custom.  Neil and Rob too were so encouraging, so positive and offering help if I needed it. The result of this first visit was that I decided that I would at least give it a shot.  So if you ever use any of the SPBs, think of Neil.

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:29 PM, John Venema said:

Even though Neil never regarded himself as being old, if the community agrees we’d like to rename the Old Coots Club the Neil Hill Memorial Lounge.

What a very thoughtful and totally appropriate suggestion John.

Very sad news.  What an amazing legacy Neil's left...….RIP sir.

RIP Neil,  Thank you for your work.  I will always remember you took out of your schedule and designed a small airport for me which is added in the NA GA Airport package.

Amazing work you did!!!

Thank you

Edited by Airwolf
  • Like 1

So sorry to hear this. Neil helped me out on two of my home airports (KAGC and KFWQ), doing a beautiful rendition of both. My thoughts and prayers go out to Neil and his family. He will be missed! 

Soar in in the clouds brother!

Edited by wblackret

So Sad to see this news, Neil took our requests for freeware airports and I was so excited when he added a few that I requested, and he was always willing to help with any issues we were having in our Sims, what a great guy to do what he did for the Flight SIm community.

Thoughts and Prayers to the Hill family 

Rest In Peace, Neil

Edited by Ziggy

Hi all,

thanks for the kind words and interesting memories, all.

I've since received information that there will be a memorial service for Neil on December 14th, at 6:30 PM, at the Alderwood Baptist Church in Lynnwood, WA.

Please see http://www.whidbeymemorial.com/book-of-memories/3661404/Hill-Neil/obituary.php

Cheers, Holger

• Like 4

I developed a relationship with Neil through Orbx and through email over a span of many years.  What a gentleman and a mentor.  I actually recently got back into flight sim and sent him an email on October 26 because I haven't communicated with him in some time.  I never got a response so knew that something was up.

A couple of other tidbits about Neil.  He has a fraternal twin brother (Dr. Hill).  He was in the air force and was honorably discharged after a few years.  He graduated from California Baptist University in 1975 which is where he met his wife Martha.  His other passion (other than FSX) was being involved in his church and leading small groups through a "Bible in 90 Days" program. He eventually passed the torch on this program to his grandson  https://scriptureawakening.com/b90/  

Thank you Holger for letting us know and giving him his tribute.  He has left his legacy, both in this hobby and eternally with being an ambassador for Christ.  (2 Cor. 5:20).  Thank you Neil for always encouraging me and for being a mentor to me in ways that I never fully communicated.  Thank you brother.  Neil fought the good fight, finished the race, kept the faith.  Well done good and faithful servant.   I look forward to many more conversations in the future. 

2 Tim 4:6-9  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Friends,

I've been away for quite some time, and just found out about Neil.  Neil was a great person, and taught me a lot in scenery creation.

Three years ago I went to Anacortes, Washington for a flying club barbeque and stopped by Neil's house, had coffee, showed me his computer setup and gave me more pointers on creating scenery.  He was very talented in scenery creation.  Neil contacted me early last year and was wanting to know if and when I was going to get back into scenery creation as he knew I hadn't created any for awhile.  That was very nice as we didn't know each that well.  He will definitely be missed in the flightsim community.

Will miss his friendship and his outstanding scenery creations.

Rod

Post Falls, ID

Edited by rlkjmt73
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have no words.

Many here remember me, while others have never seen my name. I have been away from flight simulation for almost a year and a half now. Four children will do that. My hobby is on hold but certainly not dead. I admit It’s hard to keep current and I don’t get to check in as much as I would like. I miss the relationships I had here at Orbx, especially Neil.

I used to work closely with Neil on doing airport enhancements. In fact he and I did all airport enhancements in the SCA region. I never met Neil in person but we talked via Skype quite frequently while we worked together on various projects. He taught me so much. After I left Orbx due to family obligations and such, Neil and I tried to keep in touch over email. He became a friend from afar. A friend I never saw face to face, yet he was a friend. Neil was a kind man, a selfless man. He loved his hobby, which kept him young. He also spent a great amount of time caring for his dear wife, who was also ill. Neil always asked about my family and how I was doing. He was genuinely interested in my life and I his. We prayed for each other. Over time, though, we lost touch. I knew he had health issue he was dealing with but we lost touch and I do not know his health had declined. I am heartbroken to learn of his passing, but am comforted to know he is happy and healthy in the hands of God. Blue skies, dear friend.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just returned to the flight sim scene to find this sad news...there is some wonderful testament to Neil's tremendous work and love of flight simming in this thread, and that makes me smile at least. I personally have enjoyed Neil's work on numerous occasions, and it was always enjoyable to see him around on the site here, tirelessly working on freeware updates. My heartfelt condolences to all that knew him...

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...