The treacherous Launumu short sloped runway.

An Air Saguenay DHC-3 Otter has made it from Québec to Kokoda. It is expected to work around the remote mountain airfields for a while.

5000OtteratKokoda.jpg

Today, the Otter heads for Launumu, a mountain airfield that is at an elevation of  5082 ft asl  and 1200 feet long.

5001RollinginKokoda.jpg

We have to watch for those birds in order to reach the destination…

5002Otterairborneandbirds.jpg

Following that trail is a good way to reach Launumu.

5003Otterinmountains.jpg

If the mixture is not adjusted, the Otter will lose a lot of steam trying to climb up to 7,500 feet to cross the first line of mountains.

5003aOttermixtureview.jpg

The runway is in sight. Anybody landing and departing from Launumu deals with high density altitude. This is not only due to the elevation of the airfield but also to the very warm and moist air present in the region. Consequently, some additional airspeed is required on the approach.

5004OtterwithLaunumuinsight.jpg

When a pilot lands southwestward in Launumu coming from Kokoda, he must dive in a valley to lose altitude, which will increase the aircraft’s airspeed. If the airspeed is not promptly corrected, the approach to the Launumu runway will be too fast. Any airspeed above 60 knots forces the pilot to overshoot (unless you are ready to virtually die a few times while trying).

5005Otterinadive.jpg

Once the higher mountains are crossed, a good way of loosing altitude without gaining airspeed  is to use flaps (at the corresponding airspeed) and do a tight 360 degree coordinated turn while descending. That way, you will end up in line with the runway and at the speed you want, which is around 50 knots.

5006Otterinaturndownward.jpg

The Otter floats endlessly, with its huge wings and flaps.

5007Otterandtalltreesonfinal.jpg

On final for Launumu, you might end up having to deal with the bushes that are close to the runway. It is not unusual for the Otter or the Beaver to complete an approach with bushes wrapped around the landing gear.

5008Otterandrunwayinsight.jpg

Launumu has a surprise for the newcomers. If you land southwestward, like it was just done,  and are not stopped within approximately 600 feet, you start accelerating since there is a pronounced slope downward in the second half of the runway. This slope leads to a cliff. In case of a missed approach, you can use the slope downwards and dive in the valley at the end of the runway to built up airspeed and start a new approach.

5009Ottermainwheelsontheground.jpg

5010Otterbacktracking.jpg

Now that the hard work is done, lets wait for the passengers and cargo, and plan the next leg…

5011OtterparkedatLaunumu.jpg

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Very nice and great shots and fantastic vibrant colours you have. Derek.

Thanks, glad you liked them!

3 hours ago, flyingleaf said:

"Extremely" well done.:)

Well, thanks "extremely"!

3 hours ago, magic1 said:

very nice!

Glad you liked, Magic1!

3 hours ago, paulb said:

Excellent shots and an interesting flight Francois! :)

Thanks Paul, I figured a bit of warm moist air would accelerate the arrival of the summer.

2 hours ago, Sniper31 said:

A wonderful flight adventure, very well documented and filled with some good looking screenshots!

Thank you Sniper, that is appreciated!

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

That number 4 shot, Francois......Extraordinaire !!

Fantastic.

-Fred-

Thanks Fred, boy that Otter does not climb easily...

1 hour ago, keino333 said:

that ninth shot is epic....the plane in the midst of all that foliage

Thanks, when I saw the beautiful tall trees that Ken and Tim had included near the runway, I figured they had to be visible in the shots...

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

Beautiful series of images François with some most knowledgeable commentary.

A very enjoyable post.:)

Thanks, I am very happy that you enjoyed the post!

wonderful flight & story with great shots ... 

20 hours ago, Orbxtreme said:

he must dive in a valley to lose altitude

very deep dive according the picture :o well should be very exciting ... needs cool & allways optimistics passengers B) :P

15 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Now THAT was thrilling François!  I'm going to do some serious exploring there after I do some in Germany.  It's on my list and man is it lush and green.

Thanks Jack, some of those runways can almost be compared to Lukla. That is to say, there is no possibility of a missed approach.

1 hour ago, jean marc said:

wonderful flight & story with great shots ... 

very deep dive according the picture :o well should be very exciting ... needs cool & allways optimistics passengers B) :P

Thanks Jean Marc, during the dive and while turning, the speed did not exceed 70 knots (there is one shot with a cockpit view and the speed). Nonetheless, after being told what the procedure would be, one passenger decided to stay in Kokoda and be sick right away. He definitely was not meant to fly in the region! :D

8 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Grand set of shots.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain, glad you liked.

10 hours ago, adambar said:

Wonderful captures Francois as always! :)

Thank you Adam, I am doing the best I can with what is left of my computer system!

12 hours ago, Tim K said:

Some gorgeous shots here! 

Thanks Tim, much appreciated.

12 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

A razor's edge sharp set of shots!

Thanks Bermuda425, a razor is what I would need around the landing gear to cut out some of those bushes!

15 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Now THAT was thrilling François!  I'm going to do some serious exploring there after I do some in Germany.  It's on my list and man is it lush and green.

Thanks Jack, and I tell you, some of those strips can be compared to Lukla. With the Kokoda Trail dirt runways, you don't have the luxury of an asphalt runway that goes uphill to slow down the aircraft like in Lukla. And in some of those strips, you don't have a possibility of a missed approach either. The difference with Lukla is that you see the wall of rock in front of you while you approach, which is a reminder of the consequences of a miscalculated approach! >:D

4 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

A truly glorious set of shots, François. Especially the second to last one. One day I should give bush flying a try. -_-

Thanks Captain Lars, comments appreciated. Bush flying is a lot of fun, especially in the virtual mode since you can push the envelope a bit! The best way to fly bush is to save your flight a few times during the trip. So if anything bad happens, you don't have to redo it all over again. You just load the part you need and learn from the mistake. Each time...!^_^

17 hours ago, mikee said:

Great set of shots !

Thanks Mikee, finally some shots from the southern hemisphere!

16 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Outstanding shots and a fantastic description. Merci bien, Francois!

Much appreciated, happy that you enjoyed them!

15 hours ago, Ken Hall said:

One of the best PNG posts ever, commentary and shots were spot on, many thanks for posting these, I hope it encourages more pilots to test their skills

Thanks Ken, I hope they will. Something is coming on Timkenumo, with a new machine. And it worked pretty well.

Great set of shots, well flown, and a good narration too. The otter is a great plane for that area. After I finish exploring all of what Alaska, PNW, LOWI, England, Netherlands, and Norway have to offer (all of which I intend to finish before the beginning of 2020,) I will hit PNG and Audtrailia. Like Jack, it's on my list after I finish exploring other places. [emoji846]

13 minutes ago, caleb1 said:

Great set of shots, well flown, and a good narration too. The otter is a great plane for that area. After I finish exploring all of what Alaska, PNW, LOWI, England, Netherlands, and Norway have to offer (all of which I intend to finish before the beginning of 2020,) I will hit PNG and Audtrailia. Like Jack, it's on my list after I finish exploring other places. emoji846.png

My gosh you have a contract in front of you! ^_^ But you'll see, PNG has a lot to offer in terms of challenges and views!

My gosh you have a contract in front of you! [emoji5] But you'll see, PNG has a lot to offer in terms of challenges and views!
I'm sure I will like PNG. I like bush flying and challenges! [emoji846]

6 hours ago, caleb1 said:

Great set of shots, well flown, and a good narration too. The otter is a great plane for that area. After I finish exploring all of what Alaska, PNW, LOWI, England, Netherlands, and Norway have to offer (all of which I intend to finish before the beginning of 2020,) I will hit PNG and Audtrailia. Like Jack, it's on my list after I finish exploring other places. emoji846.png

:lol:  Seems like we'll almost never get to them all! :lol:

• 2 months later...
On 5/4/2018 at 1:23 AM, Orbxtreme said:

Today, the Otter heads for Launumu, a mountain airfield that is at an elevation of  5082 ft asl  and 1200 feet long.

I read  with keen interest  your flying experience  on the Kokoda and Owen Stanley ranges . Thank you for sharing . Unfortunately without the pictures  that everyone seems to praise. 

I tried to open  your JPG  file  but  could not. This was just  to X check if it was where  I think  Laumunu is located.  That  is ,  I follow the track   and according to the mud map it seems to  be the  only landing strip only that runs 110/290 degrees . As  you say it is slopped   but the one I found was  at 2605Ft.  so definitely  we are not talking about the same landing strip . Unfortunately there was no indication which air field it was,  except  a few tents  in the village  and a fellow on a bicycle (a very  rare sight in the PNG bush!) 

Those air field are  extremely difficult  to fly In  and even more difficult Out.  I have to adjust  constantly the mixture  to get  the best performance . Thanks heaven  it's a simulator !

As  a matter of thoughts  It would have been helpful if the author of this delightful PNG scenery  could have added  on the  mud map the location of the Kokoda  trail  

Happy bush  flying

Charles 

Archived