This Week's Meaningless Topic (#168)(Nov 24)

Hi all. Over the years, I've been lucky enough to experience a number of different kinds of work. I liked and took pride in them all, and I now enjoy fond memories of them and the people I worked with. My list is -- farm laborer, grounds maintenance crew, factory basic laborer, skilled factory worker, night watchman, university lecturer, university administrator, and parish clergyman. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  What jobs have you held in your lifetime?

Edited by Rodger Pettichord
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

• Rodger Pettichord changed the title to This Week's Meaningless Topic (#168)(Nov 24)

Ok here goes my long list.

A Florist shop worker for 2 mnths. I hated it so I had to

think of a way to get the sack. What better way than to accidently

chop the heads of some Carnation posies. That did the job plus

Summer was around the corner and I wanted to go swimming with

my mates. My longest time was working in a bottle shop where I then

had to leave because I went blind.(no not blind drunk}.Type 1 diabetes

got the better of me so I had to leave there and then.

Any donations to the Gumby foundation will be gratefully excepted.

cheers

Gumby🍺😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

I didn't think that anything I had done was Meaningless

An impressive list and definitely not meaningless, John.

However to be pedantic, (did I mention I used to be a teacher :lol:), according to Roger's original post it's the topic that's meaningless, not the jobs :)

All the best,

John

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, John Burgess said:

An impressive list and definitely not meaningless, John.

However to be pedantic, (did I mention I used to be a teacher :lol:), according to Roger's original post it's the topic that's meaningless, not the jobs :)

All the best,

John

Thanks John - 'Sir - for the comment -- I don't think I meant to say meaningless - to the extent that it meant "little" meaning  -

the subject that is - I correctly realised quickly - all be it 24 hours later - that it was not meant as I had at first thought as something 

meaningless - as a waste of time -- and what it might mean  - to others as boasting of one's boring  achievements:ph34r:

My engineering maths were far more useful In all my jobs than the correct use of the Queens English - especially the subject of English 

Language - as will be pretty obvious from this diatribe.

Even my broad Lancashire Accent - didn't help me over the years - soooh in the words of a Lancashhire comedian -

Ahh'll get me coat !!

PS love Kendal Cake - especially after beating Kendal at Rugby 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, John Heaton said:

PS love Kendal Cake

Still carry it with me on the hills - almost pure sugar so ideal for a quick energy boost.

When working down the Mint Cake 'mines' they let you eat as much as you wanted knowing full well that after half an hour you wouldn't ever want to touch the stuff again :lol:

I spent the first few years of my life living just round the corner from the Kendal Rugby club.

My parents were originally from Lancashire, however, and even after 40 years in Scotland people still let me know I sound 'Northern' :)

All the best,

John

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TuFun said:

1. Owned my own lawn service at 11 for two years... $1.00 per yard (1968).
2. Janitor Castle AFB FTD building. Paid for my new 1973 Honda CB350.
3. Drive (1940s Dodge M37) for Delmonte Farms hauling peaches for two years.
4. USAF EGRESS Tech F-105F/G, F-4C/D/E/F/G aircraft.
5. Warehousemen City School District.
6. AAFES gas station attendant (Castle AFB).
7. USAF EGRESS Tech B-52G/H, A-10C, and F-16C/D aircraft.
8. US Treasury Department
9. Painter
10. FedEx Computer Service Tech
11. Target Stores Security until (retired 2018).

So you haven't done much then.:D

cheers

gumby

• Haha 8

as a young teenager I used to tow a little push mower around the neighbourhood and cut grass for a few quid...

left school worked fruit & veg in supermarket.....

joined the army for 7 years.....best job.....

tow truck driver......

courier (self employed) with DPD for 21 years.....

now running a small family cleaning business with the wife....(2004- now)

at 58 I am now looking forward to the mortgage finishing and I can work part time somewhere, maybe in 5 or 6 years....

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

One of the most interesting collection of member stories here, since years. There is another thread somewhere with "Forum Member" presentations, I just forgot the exact title, and it has been dormant for many years now.

Before I start my little comments, I would like to remind of Terry @teecee Carr. With one of the most exciting stories, starting in York, UK, sometime mowing to mining in West Australia, then worker in a chemical plant in Tasmania, working on YMLT airport, before retiring in Jackson, MS. So sad he passed away some months ago.

I just had a 2-month-job in road and warehouse construction, studied Chemistry, worked (still work) in that field in lab, plant management, purchasing, project management, auditing. All this iin Germany and Switzerland. So no much changes, compared to many others here.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Paper route and odd jobs as a kid.  First job after high school was as wood shop counsellor at a summer day camp.  Then two years active duty in the US navy, followed by 19 years of Navy part time as a drilling reservist.  This concluded with a seven month recall to active duty in support of Desert Shield/Storm (Naples, Italy and Jeddah, Saudi Arabia). During some of those years I was in graduate school, finally earning the Ph.D.  in 1986.  During grad school I also taught literature, composition and advanced writing courses.

In here I also attended four years of seminary.

My intention was to get a teaching job at a college or university, but that didn't happen, so I went for my second choice, a career as a museum educator.  I started on that path by enrolling in a Museum Studies program, and soon landed a job at our regional Living History Museum.  In 2011 I retired after 21 years.  Then five years later I went back part time, this time with my wife working beside me (well, next door).

The beauty of museum work is it operates on different levels, and one can simultaneously have a profession and a trade.  My profession is a Museum Educator, and currently my trade is a Hatter.  But over the years I've been a farmer, a blacksmith, a cider maker. While it doesn't pay as well as my first choice, it pays well enough and has great fringe benefits.  I've been happy, and have no regrets.

Ken

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Iain Emms said:

Forgot to add when I was 14 I was walking with my dad in town when he met a man he knew my dad said hello Ron have you got a job on Saturdays for the lad Ron replied yes come down the fruit Market 4am he owed a mini Market and fruit and veg warehouses so there I was every Saturday at 4 am unloading fruit and veg wagons in all kinds of weather until 1 o'clock in the afternoon. 

I never really thanked my Dad enough  for this as Monday till Friday I worked on a milk round getting up at 4 am again and working till 08.30 then in the house quick wash and change of clothes and of to school. 

cheers 

Iain 

Iain isn't around 3am over there now?

I think your a man of all hours.🤔

cheers

Gumby

• Like 8

2 hours ago, gumbypickett said:

Iain isn't around 3am over there now?

I think your a man of all hours.🤔

cheers

Gumby

Speaking of all hours- I forgot about a job I had shortly after leaving active duty in the Navy (the first time) in 1973.  For several months I worked the graveyard shift.(10:00 PM-6:00AM) tor Jay Printing in Warwick, Rhode Island.  This was not your local print shop, but rather a large factory specializing in retail packaging.  They printed the cards, vacuum molded the blisters, and inserted the product into the resulting package and heat sealed it all up.  This type of packaging is ubiquitous, but I actually worked at doing it.  I did a few different operations, but the most fun and rewarding was setting up the vacuum molding machines.  It wasn't in my job description, but the boss taught me how to do it, and so I did.  I also got to run a fork lift.  Incidentally, the factory was on the east side of T.F.Greene Airport (KPVD)  with runway 5 just a few yards away.  Got to watch planes landing and taking off.

Incidentally, one Saturday morning, after having worked these hours all week, I had to take the GRE (Graduate Record Exam) for admission to Grad School.  Off work at 6:00 AM, report to Providence College by 8:30 AM to sit for a three hour exam upon which hung my future.  But I did alright, obviously.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1

No wonder you always look tired out Iain! 4am is ridiculous.  For jobs I worked as a shipping and forwarding agent and earned a duodenal ulcer and the I took a job as Premises Manager for Wella, the world famous supplier of ladies and mens hairdressing products.

Oh, and hooray, I've at last been able to get on to this forum again!

JohnY

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2