This Week's Meaningless Topic (#107)(Sept 23)

Hi all. Most of us have learned to fly a variety of planes in flight sim. Some of those planes came easily, and we were comfortably in the air from the beginning. Other planes took longer to learn, and we had a period of study before we became proficient. For me, the toughest thing has been helicopters, and even  now after years of trying I'm still not always spot on at the controls of a whirly-bird. And that leads us to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC: of all the planes you've flown in flight sim, which have been the hardest for you to master?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

yep I have to agree with Jack, I zig zag all over the place when I try and taxi them, and don't ask me to land one.....alright on the ground once I get up to speed but before then I usually end up on the grass or going through the terminal...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Back in the days of FSX I purchased the Lancair Legacy from Orbx. A great little pressurised pocket rocket. My problem was I couldn't slow the bloody thing down to land! It took quite some planning way before decent into final to obtain the ideal touchdown speed. Never quite got the hang of it.

Cheers

Graeme :)

Ps, I'm a much better pilot now

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I've always had trouble with turbo-props. Seem overly complicated compared to straight jets. I've flown the Cessna Caravan some but have avoided King Airs for this reason. Don't have too much trouble with 737's which are the most common larger planes I fly.

Larry

• Like 3

Upside down ceiling fans (helicopters). Here is the explanation: "If the wings are travelling faster than the fuselage, it's a Helicopter and therefor unsafe". Besides it's pretty hard to swill a beer while you're flying that twirley thing:P:D. Nope I love my C47 and my trusted Mule team.:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

I have tried a bunch but they are all the same.  Military versions are the worst.  I am surprised that in my 30 or so years of simming with MS and LM, not one has come up with a dumbed down chopper that I can land on the summit of the Matterhorn with no problem????  I think the designers are masochistic and sucked us all in with Cessna 182s and such and are still laughing their butts of thinking about FLMs trying to fly that dang Bell Jet Ranger competently!:wacko:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Totally agree Roger - helicopters AKA eggbeaters - they don't fly, they beat the air into submission :D I once asked a mate who is a verry good chopper pilot what was the secret, he said, "Imagine you are going down a slope balancing atop a basketball while juggling a dozen eggs!".  He also said they are much easier to operate in the sim (FSX) than in real life.  Totally beyond me.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, paulb said:

For a while taking off in a powerful single engined warbird was the toughest challenge for me. So much torque.

I even chose the runway direction so that the open area was to my left and the buildings were to my right :rolleyes:.

Funny thing!  You've just invented the aircraft carrier.  Except when flying from/to a carrier the runway heading changes as necessary.  But the open area (A lot of water) Is on the left, and the "Building" (the "Island") is on the right.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Ken Q said:

Funny thing!  You've just invented the aircraft carrier.  Except when flying from/to a carrier the runway heading changes as necessary.  But the open area (A lot of water) Is on the left, and the "Building" (the "Island") is on the right.

Ken

I knew that I was doing something right Ken! :unsure::D

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TuFun said:

Aerobatics are the hardest to master, but choppers... the same but loads of fun once you get the hang of it.

My favorite recording I did with the SA Lama flown in FSX (2011).

SA 315B Lama

TuFun, what a great airshow! Thanks for the demonstration. Something to aim for for the rest of us ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2022 at 11:38 PM, TuFun said:

Aerobatics are the hardest to master, but choppers... the same but loads of fun once you get the hang of it.

My favorite recording I did with the SA Lama flown in FSX (2011).

SA 315B Lama

Great video! Thanks for sharing. I gave it a thumbs up on YouTube. And excellent flying skills you have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1