This Week's Meaningless Topic (#104)(Sept. 2)

Hi all. We forum readers are fully aware of how capable, courageous, and creative we males are. We can drive nails, saw wood, light a fire, and root for the home team. But sadly one of our talents often goes unsung--our ability to put together a simple meal that is perfect in texture, perfect in taste, and perfect in filling the belly just right. I'm talking, of course, about our ability to make a sandwich. A really good sandwich. A world-class sandwich. A perfect sandwich.

And that opens the door to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  When you make your favorite sandwich, what's in it?

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

I can not decide on what I´d like to put on the bread best. But I like to remember the lovely history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Montagu,_4th_Earl_of_Sandwich ]

The modern sandwich is named after Lord Sandwich, but the exact circumstances of its invention and original use are still the subject of debate. A rumour ... formed the popular myth that bread and meat sustained Lord Sandwich at the gambling table ... Lord Sandwich was a very conversant gambler, the story goes, and he did not take the time to have a meal during his long hours playing at the card table. Consequently, he would ask his servants to bring him slices of meat between two slices of bread, a habit well known among his gambling friends. Other people, according to this account, began to order "the same as Sandwich!", and thus the "sandwich" was born. ... The sober alternative to this account is provided by Sandwich's biographer N. A. M. Rodger, who suggests that Sandwich's commitments to the navy, to politics, and to the arts mean that the first sandwich was more likely to have been consumed at his work desk.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

I can not decide on what I´d like to put on the bread best. But I like to remember the lovely history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Montagu,_4th_Earl_of_Sandwich ]

The modern sandwich is named after Lord Sandwich, but the exact circumstances of its invention and original use are still the subject of debate. A rumour ... formed the popular myth that bread and meat sustained Lord Sandwich at the gambling table ... Lord Sandwich was a very conversant gambler, the story goes, and he did not take the time to have a meal during his long hours playing at the card table. Consequently, he would ask his servants to bring him slices of meat between two slices of bread, a habit well known among his gambling friends. Other people, according to this account, began to order "the same as Sandwich!", and thus the "sandwich" was born. ... The sober alternative to this account is provided by Sandwich's biographer N. A. M. Rodger, who suggests that Sandwich's commitments to the navy, to politics, and to the arts mean that the first sandwich was more likely to have been consumed at his work desk.

Reminds me of a question we used to ask when we were  kids 

"Why can't you starve in a desert" ------ "because of all the sand which is there" :rolleyes:

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, John Heaton said:

Reminds me of a question we used to ask when we were  kids 

"Why can't you starve in a desert" ------ "because of all the sand which is there" :rolleyes:

Now c'mon Pop. Dad jokes are bad enough. This just shows that Great grandad jokes are another level of bad. Lift your game John ;)

Cheers

Graeme

• Haha 8

white bread, buttered, cheddar cheese (mature) salad cream and crisps, salt & vinegar, plain or cheese & onion......the crunch and soft cheese, what a mixture...

once a year - 25th Dec usually around 10pm......turkey & brown sauce in between two slices of buttered bread...

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

A family tradition from my dad is still my favorite--white or brown bread, a layer of butter, a layer of peanut butter, and thin-sliced pickle, sweet or dill, either is good. My boyhood friend laughed at peanut butter and pickle, then proceeded to tout his family favorite--peanut butter and banana. It's a wonderful world!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

A Reuben Sandwich: corned beef, A Swiss or jarlsberg cheese, saurcraut, on rye or pumpernickel.  Traditionally the sandwich is topped with Russian dressing, but since I don't like Russian dressing I use a spicy brown mustard.  The sandwich is cooked in a buttered skillet until brown and the cheese melts.

Second favorite: A turkey club sandwich.  Turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato with a little mayo on white toast.

Ken

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Ken Q said:

A Reuben Sandwich: corned beef, A Swiss or jarlsberg cheese, saurcraut, on rye or pumpernickel.  Traditionally the sandwich is topped with Russian dressing, but since I don't like Russian dressing I use a spicy brown mustard.  The sandwich is cooked in a buttered skillet until brown and the cheese melts.

Second favorite: A turkey club sandwich.  Turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato with a little mayo on white toast.

Ken

Perfect.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TerribleT said:

Farmhouse white bread, unsalted butter, mighty-mite, unsalted-no sugar-smooth peanut butter, ginger marmalade with Dijon mustard (in my dreams as I'm not allowed to eat any of these things anymore :lol:)

Sneak to the fridge at two am and DO IT. :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Upvote 1