This Week's Meaningless Topic (#102)(Aug 19)

Hi all. We Orbx fliers have Orbx airports and airstrips that we visit regularly. Sometimes that's because we've always wanted to go there, but other times it's because we have been there and have fond memories. It's those fond memories that bring us to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Which of your Orbx airports have you visited most often in real life? Why?

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Hi all. We Orbx fliers have Orbx airports and airstrips that we visit regularly. Sometimes that's because we've always wanted to go there, but other times it's because we have been there and have fond memories. It's those fond memories that bring us to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Which of your Orbx airports have you visited most often in real life? Why?

Gold Coast (P3D) for last 10 years  - Brisbane/Sunshine Coast for previous 20 years as I commuted regularly between my work

in outback regions -  Longreach  - and Noosa(Sunshine Coast)

• Like 6

Melbourne for me.

I've been there more times than I can remember.

When I was 13yo it was our first family holiday, and having

flown on a 727-200 it began my love for aviation.

Melbourne is iconic with its trams and is easy to get around.

It has everything.:)

cheers

Gumby

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Like Jack, I have to say, sadly, none.  But that must be qualified by a couple of "yeah, buts." 

1. My nearest airport, and home the American Air Power Museum. Is Republic Airport in Farmingdale, NY.  I've been there a number of times.  But it is not quite an Orbx airport.  However, when I installed Global Base and Vector (for FSX) I found that New Highway ran right through the GA parking ramp on the east side of the airport.  I pointed that out to the dearly missed Neil Hill, and he not only fixed it, but corrected and updated the airport so it is quite close to an Orbx Freeware airport.

2. KSNC, Chester Airport in Connecticut.  I've never actually been to the airport, but we frequent one of the features included in the scenery: the Essex Steam Train.  Haven't been there since the pandemic, though.

Ken

• Like 6

Brisbane International. My wife’s family are in the UK and she visits them every year and I join her every other year. Brizzie is our nearest international point of departure.

Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

Jacksons Airport Port Moresby PNG - lived in TPNG 1950-75 and Port Moresby was (and is) the capital through which most domestic and international commercial flights operate are hubbed.  I also did all my instrument ratings, twin ratings and some type endorsements in Port Moresby.  For the last 4 years of my PNG time I was involved in district administration of the Central District which included  rural airstrip construction and maintenance  between the Goilala (Tapini etc.) area to the west and the the Milne Bay District to the east and all the Kokoda Trail airstrips to Kagi/ Myola Lakes to the north (Kokoda was in the Northern District).

I would not like to hazard a guess how many times I went in or out of Jacksons - the excellent Orbx FSX version gets hammered every time I get a new aircraft or one I haven't flown for a while because I don't have to consult the charts for anything really and visually all the landmarks are spot on in the scenery :D

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ken Q said:

Like Jack, I have to say, sadly, none.  But that must be qualified by a couple of "yeah, buts." 

1. My nearest airport, and home the American Air Power Museum. Is Republic Airport in Farmingdale, NY.  I've been there a number of times.  But it is not quite an Orbx airport.  However, when I installed Global Base and Vector (for FSX) I found that New Highway ran right through the GA parking ramp on the east side of the airport.  I pointed that out to the dearly missed Neil Hill, and he not only fixed it, but corrected and updated the airport . . .

Ken

I should note also that once, several years ago, I had the pleasure of flying RW from this field.  A co-worker had a friend who was a pilot who invited me to fly with him.  We left the Millionaire FBO in a club piper Cherokee, did a nice tour past the south shore of Long Island, up the Hudson, along Long Island Sound, and back to land on RWY 19.  Then lunch at the 52nd Fighter Squadron restaurant. This was a WW2 themed restaurant (now, sadly, defunct) adjacent to the airport.  Decor was of an O Club in Europe, but also had headphones at each table tuned to the airport ATC.

I also once flew from/to Brookhaven Calabro Airport, (KHWV) with another friend in a Cherokee.  We flew to Martha's Vineyard (KMVY) for lunch and back.  Both of these are in the Orbx freeware scenery.

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
Darned spell check!
  • Like 6

YMML would be my most visited Orbx airport.

I have done 20 trips to Thailand with the wife to visit family and every time it has been out of there.

Also when flying to other parts of AUstralia especially when I lived in Mildura in the NW of Victoria and flying through from there when my brother lived in Tasmania.

I have also visited there many times to take or collect people.

Finally pre 9/11 I sometimes went with my camera to the public viewing area which has now been closed.

Orbx partner Impulse, has produced a wonderful rendition of my local at Shepparton which I used to visit regularly with the camera.

I have done a few flights from there too in GA but that is a while ago now.

I should add that thanks to Orbx I visited Sedona airport when on holiday as well flying in and out of the freeware Midland TX with a couple of extra visits to pick up my nephew and return a hire car! :)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Hello,

strangely, I don't particularly like flying at all.
I have had several offers over the years and flown in  Bell 47, a SeaKing, two Fokker 50s,two Boeing 767s, a few Boeing 757s

and two different Cessna 152s.
I was allowed to take the controls of the Cessna 152s but the flying bug did not touch me.
My most "flown from" airport is Manchester, UK, but a visit there is to invite being charged vast amounts of money for very little

food and drink, waiting for hours and being herded around like farm animals.

I don't enjoy being "self-loading cargo".
My most visited airport is Elvington, UK because it's close to where I live, the superb Yorkshire Air Museum is there and because
years ago the "Great Yorkshire Airshow" (RIP) was there too.

More recently, Leeds Bradford, UK because my youngest daughter likes to jet off into the sun.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

My most visited airport is Elvington, UK because it's close to where I live, the superb Yorkshire Air Museum is there and because
years ago the "Great Yorkshire Airshow" (RIP) was there too.

Nick - G'day - Off topic - I'm sure Rodger won't mind :D

Every time I visited the UK there are 2 Air Museums that are a must for me because they are repeat visits - Hendon and Elvington

Hendon - because it has a great display of every type from the beginning and a huge display of WW11 and subsequent hostilities

And Elvington - because it has the only Full Halifax Bomber - in the UK - and with appointment - one is allowed to enter it

My Dad flew in this aircraft for 3 years until war end and then went onto Liberators - as an Mid Upper Air Gunner - and the museum

has a great display of an AG's kit and various turrets - definitely worth the time to visit York - and the railway museum is something else

Outside display includes many other A/Cs - but my favourite is the Hawker Hunter of which there are a few examples

I note - that in MSFS - the runways are XXX out so I assume the field is no longer used - and the airport is devoid of buildings

I always make a priority trip to York -  Nick  - because although I am a Lancastrian by Birth - there are a few ancestors named on the

roll of Honour in the Cathedral;)

P1020457.JPG

P1020458.JPG

P1020473.JPG

P1020476.JPG

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Excellent John, is that you standing in front of the Halifax, with the beard?
I gather that the Halifax is in fact made of many bits of other aircraft but it still looks magnificent.

Every time that we have been my daughter has berated me for reading all of the boards in front of the exhibits, instead of rushing around.

I do it on purpose now, just to wind her up. :)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Sadly none.  Wish I could go and one place would be to Walter Sutton's just for the peace and quiet, and Orcas too.

That would be heavan Jack. I love the quiet rural life :)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Excellent John, is that you standing in front of the Halifax with the beard?
I gather that the Halifax is in fact made of many bits of other aircraft but it still looks magnificent.

Every time that we have been my daughter has berated me for reading all of the boards in front of the exhibits, instead of rushing around.

I do it on purpose now, just to wind her up. :)

Yes Nick - Fat old me  - on on a visit to UK celebrating my 80th - very different from my Avatar

she looks a lot better than the wreck pulled from a Norway fiord that they have at Hendon

My Dad's Aircraft transferred to the S.O.E. in the Med - 149 SQN - clandestine operations  - and I was part of the Sqn's forum

who arrange the visit to climb aboard the Aircraft - and included a couple of the pilots that flew the Aircraft in the SQN in '44+'45

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I have luckily been to all the Orbx airports in N Calif, Oregon, and Washington states to see them in person. Just last week I found one near Puget Sound that will stump everyone in the "Orbx airports visited in real life" thread.  ;)   I have flown in and out of KORS once, probably my favorite so that's why I scheduled a flight from the Lake Union seaplane base.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rob Abernathy said:

I have luckily been to all the Orbx airports in N Calif, Oregon, and Washington states to see them in person. Just last week I found one near Puget Sound that will stump everyone in the "Orbx airports visited in real life" thread.  ;)   I have flown in and out of KORS once, probably my favorite so that's why I scheduled a flight from the Lake Union seaplane base.

That reminds me - I have another one as well but I cant find the :banghead:

• Like 4

The only Orbx airport I can think of that I know I have flown both into and out of several times is KSAN San Diego International. Reason being is SoCal is where I grew up before I joined the military, so I used to fly in and out of there to go back home to visit family. Other then the approach to land from the East where you are descending in between apartment buildings on both sides, there is not much else especially remarkable about the airport itself. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

KBHB. I visited KBHB quite often when I was actively flying. I was based out of KBGR but KBHB was a popular destination with students. i now live about 20 miles from KBHB. It is right on the way to Acadia national park.

Greg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Surprisingly this must be one far away from my home: Melbourne Tullamarine, because it is a major hub for southeastern Oz travels. Smaller airports (the heart of the former Orbx airport series) I often only visited once or twice.

And now I put some more onto my list, just to continue this collection:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Surprisingly this must be one far away from my home: Melbourne Tullamarine, because it is a major hub for southeastern Oz travels. Smaller airports (the heart of the former Orbx airport series) I often only visited once or twice.

And now I put some more onto my list, just to continue this collection:

and the Idea still exists ;)

• Upvote 2