This Week's Meaningless Topic (#47) (July 31)

Hi all.  As part of research for a  novel, I ran into a fascinating book, And Then the Engines Stopped: Flying in New Guinea, edited by R. Gerard Ward and Susan W. Serjeantson  https://openresearch-repository.anu.edu.au/bitstream/1885/128830/1/And_Then_the_Engines_Stopped.pdf. At present, it's not available in print, but the internet site has a printable PDF. This is a wonderful collection of anecdotes about people's experiences in the skies of PNG.

Which reminded me of the time many years ago that a bush-pilot friend took me with him on a practicing trip into the Cascade mountains in his Piper Cub float plane. We headed up to Mt. St. Helens (still intact in those days), and shot landings on the lakes and rivers surrounding the mountain. He was a good pilot, and I still remember the experience with great fondness. And that leads to this week's topic.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC (#47):  What is your most memorable real-life landing in an airplane?

• Like 3

After losing one engine in a Baron 55 on takeoff from Buin airport in Bougainville District TPNG, and having completed a go round, the other engine failed over the threshold during final flare - you can bet we all kissed the ground after that one - the aircraft was at MTOW on takeoff ......

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

As a young CFI, (1971) I had a older student go the wrong way with the controls trying to land. Thank God they rotated high. We were about 50 feet looking straight down at the runway. I snapped her to the vertical and recovered. The towers comment was " I thought you bought it that time" I then encouraged the student to think about another hobby.

Greg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Hard to say.  There were a couple of notable ones. I've not flown IRL that much,  neither commercial air carrier, or private.  But I guess the one that stands out is a flight with a newly minted PPL friend, Dave.  We took off from Westerly, RI, and flew a nice sight seeing flight around the area.  But the landing, A real greaser. Didn't feel like we were on the ground until we stopped.  Plane was a Cherokee.

Another was with another pilot, this time in a C172.  We flew into a tiny strip in the Pocinos.  It was a short and VERY narrow asphalt runway. I didn't know a plane, any plane, could land on such a tiny strip.  I've since learned.

Ken

• Like 6

A good meaningful topic this week, causing so many great memories. And sharing them!

I think for me it was the day when the 777 purser asked me "Do you want to see the landing from the cockpit?" Quite an easy decision to make. I got prepared with all my hand luggage ready for deboarding well before the Top of Descend, when I was called to get ahead. I got a little nervous when the crew instructed me how to use the oxygen mask. But with the 3rd pilot sitting next to me explaining all the details from approach planning, choice of run- and taxiways I felt perfect. The unexpected but undramatic sidestep to a parallel runway in the last minutes was just a cherry on the cake.

The only disadvantage was that we were the last passengers to leave the plane then, as they all were flowing against my direction towards the hand luggage.

• Like 6

Thinking she would enjoy it, I persuaded Sheila to join me when I had to do a three day business trip to the Channel Isles.  Going was fine as we went by sea.  Problem was, when we came to come home all sea trips were cancelled due to weather in the Channel so we were offered free tickets to travel back by air.  

Sheila was terrified of flying due to her previous wartime experiences but we had to get back so I managed to persuade her to very reluctantly get on the 'plane.  The flight was a bit bumpy and she was holding my hand. Hard. Don't know why but it seemed to calm her.  However, coming into land the pilot had to abort for some reason and 'go around'.  Stupidly, he said; 'Oops, sorry folks we were coming in the wrong way round!'.  

That did it!  When we finally got off the plane and I managed to prize her hand from mine, my hand was very sore and oozing blood!

I've had many business flights since but for holidays, short breaks and so on, if we couldn't go by land or sea, we didn't go!      

• Like 3

Been very lucky and had a number of memorable flights, coming into land at Kai Tak Airport in Hong Kong and having to look up at the buildings on either side of the aircraft then seeing the end of the runway approaching with sea on three sides.

My wife and I went on a shopping trip from Benbecula in the Outer Hebrides to Stornoway, she and my two children sat in the back, and I sat in the co-pilot's seat, the only other person on the flight was the pilot and the first thing he said to me was don't touch the controls or pedals

Edited by Taph
correct typo
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Taph said:

to Stornoway

... An Eastern Airways flight from Aberdeen to Stornoway would have been my second experience. Few paxes on the plane, full clouds until about 500 ft AGL. And very bumpy in the clouds, too. Suddenly we dropped down and the water seemed to be directly left and right of me. Jumped up and we were back in the cloud. Jumped down and back "in" the water - still no runway in sight. But I knew that pilot would do the flight more than daily, so I trusted them fully.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

My second has to be my only flight into Kai Tak. That was over 40 years ago now but I'll never forget the approach on the Rwy 13 IGS. It was about midnight when we landed and I have no words to describe the incredible views on that that landing. I feel so lucky to have had the experience of being there. I'll never get back to Hong Kong again but it really doesn't matter as it could never be the same. Life is good.

Edited by W2DR
kant spel
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Almost close to 50 yrs ago when we made our first trip to the UK. Landed at Gatwick.

I couldn't believe that such a wonderful, beautiful place existed. Loved it on the first visit and still feel the same way.

As W2DR  @W2DR said "Life is good" . We  have so much to be appreciative of. :)

Cheers

Edited by renault
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1