Feedback asked RE Meaningless Topic

Hi all. We are approaching #50 of This Week's Meaningless Topic. It originated as a way to encourage light-hearted  exchange among Forum readers. Over time, about a dozen of us have participated on a steady basis, with another half-dozen chipping in now and then. My request is for feedback on whether or not we should continue the feature. It obviously has limited appeal, but the regulars are fun to read. What do you think?

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

Special thanks to all who added an opinion! We will certainly continue our unimportant discussions of meaningless topics. Cheers, ta, and thanks heaps.

Looks like you’re meaningless topics are a popular read Rodger. Great to hear you’ll continue with your meaninglessness!
Cheers

Graeme :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love it every Saturday,  my  local time. If the Question is out of my league 

I may pass but 99pc of the time I will reply. 

keep it going. 

Maybe your next meaningless  topic could be about what people  make of me.

:D:D:D:(

cheers

Gumby

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Why are English Sausages nicknamed Bangers. Just wondering. Thanks Derek.

In order to continue production and to get by on what meat they did have, cheap fillers and a high amount of water were used in the sausages which caused them to pop and explode rather violently in the cooking pan, giving them the name “bangers.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BradB said:

In order to continue production and to get by on what meat they did have, cheap fillers and a high amount of water were used in the sausages which caused them to pop and explode rather violently in the cooking pan, giving them the name “bangers.”

Okay, that works. Now, why do they call potatoes "mash," as in Bangers and Mash?:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TerribleT said:

I always thought bangers was a description of the after effects of eating British sausages and that the mash was supposed to counteract those effects .....

The combo of exploding sausages and mash would be a lethal combination!   What I want to know is who came up with mushy peas? (actually pretty good, had them in Ireland a few years ago)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, BradB said:

My wife, who has spent a lot of time recently researching WW2 food supplies and rationing (for a WW2 program at the 19th century living history museum where we both work) concurs with this explanation.

Ken

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

We're not immune .....

1) Scoot on over

2) It's not rocket science

3) I'm not a big fan

4) Mystery meat .... I grew up hating "SPAM" although I have to admit with loads of ketchup (its a vegetable) and several beers it hides the taste 

5) Long in the tooth

6) "Keeper"

7) "Canadian Bacon" - I have to admit this one is confusing to me 

8)  Monday morning quarterback

9)  "Bought the farm" - describes my flying to a "T"

10 "Cattywampus"  -  When I worked in Texas I had a friend who used it all the time. Finally I asked here what it meant and she said "oh, just a little out of whack in a nice way .... just like you!"  I was never sure if it was a + or a - :rolleyes:

11 Or you gotta be Canadian ... " I'm gonna make a quick trip to Timmies and grab me a box of Timbits to go with my double double"

12 And finally "Molson muscle" - not from lifting the pint to your lips but from the after effects on your profile when viewed sideways !

Cheers

Pete

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, renault said:

We're not immune .....

1) Scoot on over

2) It's not rocket science

3) I'm not a big fan

4) Mystery meat .... I grew up hating "SPAM" although I have to admit with loads of ketchup (its a vegetable) and several beers it hides the taste 

5) Long in the tooth

6) "Keeper"

7) "Canadian Bacon" - I have to admit this one is confusing to me 

8) Monday morning quarterback

9)  "Bought the farm" - describes my flying to a "T"

10 "Cattywampus"  -  When I worked in Texas I had a friend who used it all the time. Finally I asked here what it meant and she said "oh, just a little out of whack in a nice way .... just like you!"  I was never sure if it was a + or a - :rolleyes:

11 Or you gotta be Canadian ... " I'm gonna make a quick trip to Timmies and grab me a box of Timbits to go with my double double"

12 And finally "Molson muscle" - not from lifting the pint to your lips but from the after effects on your profile when viewed sideways !

Cheers

Pete

Pete, we may have to hire you as a replacement when my brain dries up.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

'Mash' is made of boiled potatoes which are then mashed (squashed) up into a stiff creamy texture.  If you're rich add a little butter (margarine if you're poor) to the mix and fry some sausages and there you have it;  'bangers and mash'.

Funny thing about taste, I love 'spam'.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 - Best thing since sliced bread.

2- The country is going down the tubes, what tubes and where are they.

3 - That takes the cake, where, down to the bakery to see the other cakes.

4 - Easy as pie.

5 - Lock him up and throw away the key.

6 - Poor guy, he just got his walking papers. I never got any walking papers, just some guy that came to my desk and said get the f outta here.

George Carlin

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, gregmorin said:

I really enjoy these weekly topics. Even when I am late to the Party. A saying from downeast Maine when a tourist asks directions. "you can't get there from here." with accent of course.

Greg

Ye-ah, Mainers often have limited patience with tourists.  To a Maine farmer stacking stones to build a wall: "Where'd the stones come from?"  " Glacier brought 'em."  "Where'd the glacier go?"  " Back to get some more. "

Ken

• Like 1
  • Haha 3