TrueEarth Great Britain and EGCB Barton for X-Plane 11 - teaser trailer video

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, tonywob said:

This has now been resolved for EGCB Barton and will be in the final release of the airport

Excellent, I am already hyped.

How about fps?

I guess you can't really say with alpha but can you say there wont be much impact?

Xplane is demanding at the best of times and I'm wondering if this add on will run well in VR where it can be fully appreciated.

2 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

What is Old Trafford Stadium?:unsure:

I think that some insignificant football (soccer for the Americans) team play here that nobody has heard of or supports, Manchester Unified or something. You're best flying 15NM or so to the west where you will find a real team's stadium, Liverpool B)

In all seriousness, remember this video was an alpha/tech-demo preview. Old Trafford stadium has been added as part of the EGCB Barton coverage area.

23 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I think that some insignificant football (soccer for the Americans) team play here that nobody has heard of or supports, Manchester Unified or something. You're best flying 15NM or so to the west where you will find a real team's stadium, Liverpool B)

In all seriousness, remember this video was an alpha/tech-demo preview. Old Trafford stadium has been added as part of the EGCB Barton coverage area.

Thanks Tony, I hope you have the Vitality Stadium on the South Coast included too.:lol:

What  a great result for Southampton, er I mean Liverpool this morning. We all had to follow Div One teams when I was at school in the 60s and my team was Man Utd in the great days of Law, Best and Charlton. :D

As a young boy I lived in a mad keen Man Utd household. As an equally mad keen Liverpool supporter I was basically persona non grata and in some respects continue to be so to this day.

I have managed to instill the values of Liverpool to my son and his children so there is hope yet.

If this has been asked elsewhere, apologies, but I am wondering how the current Orbx UK airport P3D products such as Old Warden & Fairoaks, Goodwood etc, will fit in with OETE?

By this I mean will they still exist as they are now & will be able to be placed on top of OETE, or will the OETE version of these airports look better than the current add-on, & supplant them?

Or will there be a choice as to which you use?

TTM

3 hours ago, chumley said:

As a young boy I lived in a mad keen Man Utd household. As an equally mad keen Liverpool supporter I was basically persona non grata and in some respects continue to be so to this day.

I have managed to instill the values of Liverpool to my son and his children so there is hope yet.

Values of Liverpool?

:lol:

Before this turns into the football slating thread, it is fantastic news that major stadiums and landmarks are being included for VFR flights.

I can't wait to get my hands on it. Will have to get yet another SSD though.:rolleyes:

I doubt that even the XP11 version of TrueEarth England will be out as soon as that.....or do you mean EGCB Barton?
I mean England. I agree now that I have seen the new post from John with the new teaser. Probably Netherlands will be out first.

Thanks.

18 hours ago, Danni said:

Values of Liverpool?

:lol:

Before this turns into the football slating thread, it is fantastic news that major stadiums and landmarks are being included for VFR flights.

I can't wait to get my hands on it. Will have to get yet another SSD though.:rolleyes:

Meant the value of supporting them not the bogan behaviour of a few earlier in the week.

3 hours ago, jonfrederickl said:

Are you using reshade john?

Hi

This is a quote from JV on 2/04/18 to a comment made by myself.

I stopped using ReShade, because it causes CTDs on XP11 exit. Instead I just increase my Digital Vibrance setting in my nVidia Control panel to 80% which has the same effect as the saturation and clarity shaders but with zero fps impact:

Kind regards

Ian S

On 04/04/2018 at 10:02 AM, tonywob said:

Uncompressed, it's approx 350MB. This is subject to change though as it's still under development

Far too early to say. If you want a very rough approximation in X-Plane, then looking at the number of 1 degree tiles covering England and how much space is generally required for orthos at this latitude (including the fact that a lot of them are coastline + water), it's approx 150-200GB uncompressed. However, this could be less, could be more and we just don't know yet. 

Tony: I am assuming your very rough guide to disk space (150-200GB) is in regard to a total for both Netherlands and England? Or each?  I am asking as I have a concern regarding the download and subsequent unzipping of each and the disk space required for that process. I have 180GB free space on the C drive ( this is an OS/utilities SSD disk only)so say ENG is 75GB compressed then unzipping adds 200GB I would not have enough disk space to perform the required actions of download ( compressed) followed by unzipping. Does Central do the unzipping in the sim directory?

Also another question: you kindly answered my question regarding x-life and World Traffic compatibility but you only mentioned that Barton was compatible. Do you know if the included airports in ENG are compatible as well?

Appreciate your time.

FTX Central will use your TEMP directory for downloading the files. I generally move my TEMP directory to another drive as I have the same problem. Nick's post here worked for me.

Now, my estimate was for England only, and I'm basing this on having covered the country in the past using orthos at 1.2m/px. Each subsequent zoom level increases the size by a factor of 4. If you want this sort of detailed coverage, then yes, you're going to need the space to cover it. The Netherlands is smaller, with less tiles to cover, so the size won't be as large. P3D compresses ortho imagery better than X-Plane, so sizes in P3D will be smaller. 

1 hour ago, jjaycee1 said:

Also another question: you kindly answered my question regarding x-life and World Traffic compatibility but you only mentioned that Barton was compatible. Do you know if the included airports in ENG are compatible as well?

Any ORBX airports that will be converted will have ground traffic routes. The existing airports from the X-Plane gateway are a bit hit and miss in this regard, many do have them, but others don't. Support for GA traffic is still not very good in WT3, e.g. It has no support for helicopters, but it works very well for larger airports, e.g. EGHI. Hopefully this will improve over time. I can't comment about xLife as I don't have it, but presume it uses the same principle

2 hours ago, jjaycee1 said:

Tony: I am assuming your very rough guide to disk space (150-200GB) is in regard to a total for both Netherlands and England? Or each?  I am asking as I have a concern regarding the download and subsequent unzipping of each and the disk space required for that process. I have 180GB free space on the C drive ( this is an OS/utilities SSD disk only)so say ENG is 75GB compressed then unzipping adds 200GB I would not have enough disk space to perform the required actions of download ( compressed) followed by unzipping. Does Central do the unzipping in the sim directory?

Appreciate your time.

Hi

I have at present compiled England in X-Plane 11 using Ortho4XP tiles. Zoom level 16-(2.4m/px) for water, ZL17-(1.2m/px) for countryside and ZL 19-(30cm/px) for airports and surrounding areas and these tiles come to 413GB in size. Add to this mesh, OSM data and airports and I am using about 460GB in total. If their is any advice I can give those simmers who have so far not used photoscenery to any great deal and that is invest in a large HDD. The above advice is irrespective of the flightsim you use.

Kind regards

Ian S

10 minutes ago, Ian S said:

ZL 19-(30cm/px)

IMO this is wasted effort and disk-space. There is almost no visible difference between ZL18 and ZL19 in X-Plane (and some ortho providers don't show higher, so you're just getting the same texture but 4 times bigger). Dropping this to ZL18 or 17 would probably save you a large amount of disk-space. Anyway, sorry for going off-topic here, but yes the advice about investing in more storage is a good one.

On 31/03/2018 at 6:26 PM, rogera said:

Just seen the Barton video and Wow! as a Mancunian living on the south side of the city, I can say that it is stunning. I was a passanger in a Puss Moth with Geoff Mollison (related to Amy Johnson's husband), from Barton a few years ago and I would love to reacreate that flight. So maybe X-plane is in my stars. Well done ORBX.

I recently learned (from Wikipedia) that Jim Mollison lived here in Surbiton in his later years.

Cannot wait for this amazing looking scenery!!!
Being from England I have the whole of the UK done in ZL17 Ortho which looks fantastic bar it’s known flaws.

I WILL be buying your TrueEarth England the day it releases and plan to scrap my Ortho as a result, should the FPS be good.
If it’s anything like your Meigs scenery it’ll run like butter!!

It’s exciting to see we will soon have the UK and Holland in TrueEarth! I’d “LOVE” to see TrueEarth Belgium/France/Germany/Spain in no particular order so as to tigh-in the area so to speak, so we can fly TrueEarth country to country.

Fingers crossed this is the plan!? [emoji6]

I shall be watching closely

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I remember back when I use to play Flight sims such as Fly  and FS 2000 and all my friends were into shoot em up games and they laughed and called me the nerd.

Well how things have changed , some of those friends have now built new PC just for flight sims .

Just cant begin to imagine what flight sims are going  to like in another 5 to 10 years.

I remember back when I use to play Flight sims such as Fly  and FS 2000 and all my friends were into shoot em up games and they laughed and called me the nerd.
Well how things have changed , some of those friends have now built new PC just for flight sims .
Just cant begin to imagine what flight sims are going  to like in another 5 to 10 years.
Same with me. [emoji846]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/8/2018 at 10:31 AM, tonywob said:

IMO this is wasted effort and disk-space. There is almost no visible difference between ZL18 and ZL19 in X-Plane (and some ortho providers don't show higher, so you're just getting the same texture but 4 times bigger). Dropping this to ZL18 or 17 would probably save you a large amount of disk-space. Anyway, sorry for going off-topic here, but yes the advice about investing in more storage is a good one.

Are you able to share news on England TrueEarth please? and/or when we can expect TrueEarth Netherlands for XP

With thanks 

FTX Central will use your TEMP directory for downloading the files.

Have one question regarding when True Earth UK is released and although FTX will manage the download I have at times lost connection from the internet  (not my setup but the provider).

In cases of lost connections will FTX continue the download once back on-line or is it a case of start again?  Also, if FTX continues with the download would there be any likely chance of missing files once re-connected?

Sorry for sounding pessimistic but knowing my luck it could happen at a critical time of download. 

Note to self: must try to be more optimistic in the future but then again being pessimistic could be down to my age!!

Regards

Nigel.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived