TrueEarth Great Britain and EGCB Barton for X-Plane 11 - teaser trailer video

7 minutes ago, Benny said:

One thing I have to say about ORBX, since JV told us that other Sim platform are only about 1% of their sales... is the fact that they embrace the new platform regardless of their sales.

Well, I think the situation was a bit different. This kind of scenery was more or less invented in X-Plane. One of the major players in this area (freeware/donationware) was tonywob.

So it was a well known fact that X-Plane can do such things. The big difference is better and cleaned aerial images, professional optimised buildings and easy to install. I wouldn´t even talk about trees so much since this is an area that is on the move anyway at this time (in the freeware/donation ware context and perhaps payware too).

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tonywob said:

It's hand-edited colour-blended aerial-imagery (taken from planes and not satellites), matching custom autogen, water, high-resolution mesh, roads, POIs and landmarks. 

Tony..how is that PNW coming along?  That will be a HUGE sale generation for ORBX, first day out....and I'm one of them waiting...!

John, I just watched the teaser for the 20th time.  This is my personal opinion. I can no longer tell (easily) the difference between a real life side-view out of the Cessna or the commercial jet...with a relaxed mind.  No difference. It is that real.  You are leveraging the absolute best of the XPlane platform. This is truly, what I have been waiting for since 1983. I don't want to spend the money, or invest in the time to get my PPL.  YOUR TrueEarth scenery tech, is going to give me visually within XP, that fulfillment.  Simply amazing!

Orbx has totally blurred the lines, and has now, for the first time, fully encroached upon reality.  Thank you...for also being a flight simulator enthusiast...and wanting to try something 'different' those many years ago...with Oz.  We are all benefiting...and actually, if we were still today, at the same visual tech, as the original   FSX...well, I'd be out of this hobby by now...totally bored out of my mind. I'm basically still in this hobby mostly, because of my investment, in Orbx. That's the truth.  FSX without Orbx tech, sucks. XP, from all the great freeware and donation ware,  gave XP, its cling, to many of us, that adopted it. BUT...Laminar Research should drop some investment bucks with your company...for with this TrueEarth...people are going to purchase their first version of Xplane...if ONLY, to run your scenery tech.  I mean, c'mon...looking at that video again, what is left, truly to be added, to not mimic real life and life animation?  Cars, vans, trucks, motorcycles, emerg vehicles, school buses, and if you can move some more of your animated people-flow to walk around, in and out of buildings etc...then I can see XP..because of the way it is top-of-the-heap for this very kind of representation...is gonna be WAY more, than your 1 percent or so. I can see this becoming a major contributor to your bottom line.  I can't wait for this TrueEarth, to be gracing my scenery folder...Britain, PNW, bring it on...and oh...please consider the U.S. Eastern Seaboard. There is so much VFR content in that region to enjoy.  I can only imagine what the Greater Boston Area would look like with TrueEarth tech...oh heart, be calm! Tony Wob produced on his own, his Massachusetts Pro scenery. Let him have full access to your tech..and you have one heck of a human resource at your disposal.  The guy is killer amongst the XP entrenched community! He will bring the bucks in...trust me.

Cheers!

Hi jv

will trueearth U.K. ship with decent city’ centres? Is there any chance you could change the trains from USA ones to U.K. ones as it looks unrealistic also will the tv mast have the 5 bright red lights running down there length of the mast been asking for this for a long time 

can you make all xplane airports past and future xlife compatable thank you

1 hour ago, Gussgull said:

can you make all xplane airports past and future xlife compatable thank you

Barton has taxi network routes so it will work with xLife and World Traffic 3.

TrueEarth England is still in early alpha, so what you see in that video is only a preview and still a work-in-progress. Like the Netherlands, the cities will contain recognisable landmarks and building heights.

2 hours ago, PNW User said:

Tony Wob produced on his own, his Massachusetts Pro scenery. Let him have full access to your tech..and you have one heck of a human resource at your disposal.  The guy is killer amongst the XP entrenched community! He will bring the bucks in...trust me.

:ph34r: Thank you for the kind words. 

3 hours ago, Longranger241 said:

Well, I think the situation was a bit different. This kind of scenery was more or less invented in X-Plane. One of the major players in this area (freeware/donationware) was tonywob.

So it was a well known fact that X-Plane can do such things.

Not true, Orbx has been doing large scale orthophoto based areas for over a decade, all the way back to Tamworth Airport for FS9 and most recently the 2,500 km2 that came with LOWI Innsbruck, so we are no strangers to building this sort of tech in FSX, P3D and AFS2. We started on Netherlands well before Tony got involved, although without doubt his expertise and talent is being embraced with open arms!

I think espousing the virtues of one platform over the other is counterproductive, especially since we will make these TrueEarth regions available across all our platforms and only then will you be able to determine which sim you prefer for this tech.

I have no doubt that the Ortho4XP and W2XP combination are a fantastic set of tools that are allowing people to enjoy incredible vistas using imagery scraped from non-licenseable servers, but TrueEarth is slightly more sophisticated than that and uses a combination of tools that are not available to the general sim community.

48 minutes ago, John Venema said:

Not true, Orbx has been doing large scale orthophoto based areas for over a decade, all the way back to Tamworth Airport for FS9 and most recently the 2,500 km2 that came with LOWI Innsbruck, so we are no strangers to building this sort of tech in FSX, P3D and AFS2. We started on Netherlands well before Tony got involved, although without doubt his expertise and talent is being embraced with open arms!

I think espousing the virtues of one platform over the other is counterproductive, especially since we will make these TrueEarth regions available across all our platforms and only then will you be able to determine which sim you prefer for this tech.

I have no doubt that the Ortho4XP and W2XP combination are a fantastic set of tools that are allowing people to enjoy incredible vistas using imagery scraped from non-licenseable servers, but TrueEarth is slightly more sophisticated than that and uses a combination of tools that are not available to the general sim community.

IMHO, XP, will be the go-to, for this TrueEarth. The color pallets, already the best road animation of them all, that includes train traffic that is independent of your regions, so will be world wide, if the train crosses the TrueEarth boundary,  and looking at your P3D based, Netherlands TrueEarth, and then the visuals coming from your Alpha XP TrueEarth U.K. ...well...I know where my TrueEarth investment will be headed.  I know that's not what you probably want to read (as you hope to leave the platforms as ambiguous)...as you want all revenue streams being productive,and who in business wouldn't?!?.... but certain looks...driven by the engine each sim runs, DOES impact the final on-screen output.

FSX/P3D.x puts out best, land-class visuals. We all know that, and who would make an argument to that?  But..where does the XP engine shine...as your teaser clearly shows in sat image/aerial low altitude, photograph captures ...that's XP's realm.  Are you going to have cross platform? Sure John...and why not? But...as you will tell, it will be your sales metrics, as to what your clientele thinks...is the best platform, for land-class drive, morphing/shifting to Orbx TrueEarth, or...XP, which has shown for the last two version generations, that it can handle sat and aerial low altitude view imagery, like there's no tomorrow!  Everybody can agree to disagree. Everybody can have their opinion on this topic, but this, is mine, with no agenda to convince others to change theirs. Bottom line...I'm glad that I have all of the sims on my computer at this moment...and then as you say, can make the best use of the moolah, as to which one gets my TrueEarth content.  That after all, will be the bottom line, for each of us.

Post Edit:  If AF2 looks as good, as your XP teaser...then I'd consider also picking up a cross-platform discount for that sim.  Both of these engines can handle the scenery tech. Fun times ahead...full throttle! I gotta go and run your XP U.K. TrueEarth teaser again...IT IS THAT AWESOME! Just....AWESOME!

Cheers!

5 hours ago, tonywob said:

It's hand-edited colour-blended aerial-imagery (taken from planes and not satellites), matching custom autogen, water, high-resolution mesh, roads, POIs and landmarks. 

Is this type of aerial-imagery available for the USA?

13 minutes ago, John Venema said:

No it’s not but it’s of high enough quality for us to yield similar results. We have already tested many areas already and the quality meets our expectations.

Hey john, do you have any plans to develop any product with custom regional autogen for X-Plane? Regional textures + region autogen would be great, like an OpenLC for XP.

It's a bit underwhelming flying over South America or Asia and seeing U.S. Autogen.

P.S.: Just look How a custom autogen can bring to the immersion when you have UK buildings instead of the german ones.

9 hours ago, C.a said:

Hey john, do you have any plans to develop any product with custom regional autogen for X-Plane? Regional textures + region autogen would be great, like an OpenLC for XP.

It's a bit underwhelming flying over South America or Asia and seeing U.S. Autogen.

P.S.: Just look How a custom autogen can bring to the immersion when you have UK buildings instead of the german ones.

That is precisely what has been done for England TrueEarth, not a German house to be seen :) 

21 hours ago, J van E said:

Well, well, well... I may have to reinstall XP... I forgot what were the benefits of XP versus P3D versus AFS2... Can anyone remind me? Too many choices nowadays! 

After seeing that video you still need to be reminded of the benefits of XP11?

4 hours ago, Dadtom65 said:

Hi JV. Will you have any extra bandwidth when any of the Scenery’s are released as I think you will need it. Derek.

These days we have unlimited bandwidth so we can scale to whatever we need very quickly.

Just a reminder we don't tolerate "sim war" discussions on these forums. You're entitled to have your favourite platforms but arguing over which is better or worse does not make for a harmonious environment. Some posts have been deleted and the mods have been instructed to be diligent in keeping order.

12 hours ago, John Venema said:

That is precisely what has been done for England TrueEarth, not a German house to be seen :) 

Hey john, I know and looks awesome. 

My question is, can we expect any kind of package of custom region autogen and textures (like an OPENLC for X-plane), or the engine doesn't allow that yet? Some regions need some Orbx love for sure (Asia, Africa and South America).

1 hour ago, C.a said:

Hey john, I know and looks awesome. 

My question is, can we expect any kind of package of custom region autogen and textures (like an OPENLC for X-plane), or the engine doesn't allow that yet? Some regions need some Orbx love for sure (Asia, Africa and South America).

Good question !!!

I must have watched this XP U.K. teaser oh...at least 40 times...and every time it ends...I go, dang...too sooooon!

John, or Tony Wob...please make a longer one...and you don't have to focus in just on this airport.  Please... :)

You already have my money...but don't know it...lol.

To the reader...I no longer can tell, or not tell that the teaser isn't real terrain... Yes...I KNOW it is flight simulation scenery, but what I am trying to say...is that when I watch this teaser,  I feel that I AM IN A PLANE, in the real world. I mean...for real!   This is what the real world looks like to me, from even a commercial flight.  It is simply an amazing and happy statement to make, when FINALLY, we have arrived at scenery, whereby it totally fools the mind, that that is not a real field down there...pavement...woodlot, gravel, dirt...  Truly, I can't wait to see this on my own system. Orbx could not have called this tech anything better...for to this flight simmer...this scenery is totally; True Earth...

3 hours ago, PNW User said:

It is simply an amazing and happy statement to make, when FINALLY, we have arrived at scenery, whereby it totally fools the mind, that that is not a real field down there...

Er... sounds like you missed all those airports Orbx has been releasing the last decade or so...? :P

3 hours ago, PNW User said:

I must have watched this XP U.K. teaser oh...at least 40 times...and every time it ends...I go, dang...too sooooon!

John, or Tony Wob...please make a longer one...and you don't have to focus in just on this airport.  Please... :)

We have another teaser trailer just for England TrueEarth in production right now.

15 minutes ago, J van E said:

Er... sounds like you missed all those airports Orbx has been releasing the last decade or so...? :P

For FSX or P3D?   I really like P3D 4.1...and a lot of its features...but man ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man....seeing what XP can do with TrueEarth FOR XP....

One word...AWESOME!  XP at least to myself, has the most realistic True World look , of all the sims...even the new AF2.  Love them all, fly them all...but combining this new TrueEarth, with the XP graphics engine...well, it's the engine that fully exploits it, even in Alpha. Personal opinion active, of course...

Actually I correct that 'one word' to....two words:  SOLD, and AWESOME :) 

22 minutes ago, John Venema said:

We have another teaser trailer just for England TrueEarth in production right now.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU....I hope it is at least 5 minutes in length.  To let you get comfortable with it...or better yet....release the Alpha...and then updates for us...to true RTM.  How 'bout that, John!  You'd have people lining up....BEHIND me....

1 hour ago, MartinM said:

Absolutely stunning !  Would love to see TrueEarth Switzerland for XP11 with Saanen ;) Followed by TrueEarth Norway XP11

I'm with you on Norway...but...need to see the Pacific North West of the U.S.   Just imagine...flying around the islands and the coast...with this scenery below you.  With PNW like this...it would be the making of a hermit....at least my neighbors would think so...lol.

27 minutes ago, PNW User said:

For FSX or P3D?   I really like P3D 4.1...and a lot of its features...but man ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh man....seeing what XP can do with TrueEarth FOR XP....

One word...AWESOME!  XP at least to myself, has the most realistic True World look , of all the sims...even the new AF2.  Love them all, fly them all...but combining this new TrueEarth, with the XP graphics engine...well, it's the engine that fully exploits it, even in Alpha. Personal opinion active, of course...

Haha, good to see you so enthusiastic! Hopefully I will be able to give TrueEarth a try in ALL three sims (P3D, XP and AFS2, I own them all) to see which one will be my personal favorite for this scenery. ;)

10 hours ago, J van E said:

Haha, good to see you so enthusiastic! Hopefully I will be able to give TrueEarth a try in ALL three sims (P3D, XP and AFS2, I own them all) to see which one will be my personal favorite for this scenery. ;)

That probably is the best initial strategy, with the help of cross-platform discounting.  You can't lose in that regard, J van E!

13 hours ago, John Venema said:

Can't wait.

Since I will using in VR can you say what the fps difference is between this and vanilla Xplane 11 same settings?

And on that subject, how will changing Xplane settings affect the scenery?

Finally I notice that there is no traffic on Barton bridge, are you confident you will be able to have autogen traffic work correctly over custom scenery as this is a problem I have with other custom scenery in Xplane. (I realise this alpha, just eager for info.)

I have not commented at all on this True Earth England topic because i am speechless. I have however just installed a 2nd copy of XP11 with just the Europe region on it to accommodate this scenery and the rest of the UK, with no other addons to interfere. Happy days are ahead:) My other (current) copy is for False Earth worldwide!

42 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

I have not commented at all on this True Earth England topic because i am speechless. I have however just installed a 2nd copy of XP11 with just the Europe region on it to accommodate this scenery and the rest of the UK, with no other addons to interfere. Happy days are ahead:) My other (current) copy is for False Earth worldwide!

Interesting...I am planning on purchasing XP11 and the same as you... just installing Europe so I can try out the TrueEarth Holland & UK packages...a couple of questions for you and Orbx team

1/How much disk space did XP11 with just Europe installed take up?

Q’s@ORBX

2/ How much space does Holland & UK TrueEarth take up? (approx if you are still adding to it )...

3/ How much disk space will Barton take up?

4/ If using XP11, what is the required install path for these packages?

5/ What is the required pc spec to achieve a fluid sim experience with high detail/autogen in XP11 with these packages?

6/ Pricing, any indication of these package costs? and any cross sim discounts available for us guys heavily invested in P3D Product

From what I have researched, XP11 ... could turn out to be a great vfr experience with TrueEarth and it is ‘an to scratch’ to see if it can offer a fluid, stutter free experience with rl weather and high settings...looking forwards to ‘having a dabble’ with XP11 & TrueEarth :)

@Capt PugwashThe install of the 2nd copy with just the Europe region is 16.2GB. What i have done though is just add shortcut links to any Europe additional sceneries i have in my full regions install. All my full install sceneries except FTX Meigs are free, as is Ultra HD Mesh. That is the beauty of XP. Now Orbx are entering the XP market it looks like I will have to be spending money on XP!!!!

I show you a pick of my XP equivalent of the P3D Scenery.cfg which is "scenery ini." and my Custom Scenery folder showing the shortcut links to my full version.  XP does not require any use of the Windows registry, no AppData etc. You install it where you want and even just cut and paste it to another location/disk without any adverse effect. No symbolic links required. So I am suggesting you get the full version, all world regions (same price) and then install a 2nd version for Europe to enjoy a clutter free FTX Eng, Netherlands and the rest of UK etc when they become available.

Capture.thumb.JPG.080894b58e0bfd48b4051b4702543a50.JPG

5ac4881f2af7a_sceneyini.thumb.JPG.34c847bb79a50463dc37e41d7f75fe34.JPG

1 hour ago, Capt Pugwash said:

How much disk space will Barton take up?

Uncompressed, it's approx 350MB. This is subject to change though as it's still under development

How much space does Holland & UK TrueEarth take up? (approx if you are still adding to it )...

Far too early to say. If you want a very rough approximation in X-Plane, then looking at the number of 1 degree tiles covering England and how much space is generally required for orthos at this latitude (including the fact that a lot of them are coastline + water), it's approx 150-200GB uncompressed. However, this could be less, could be more and we just don't know yet. 

Interesting...I am planning on purchasing XP11 and the same as you... just installing Europe so I can try out the TrueEarth Holland & UK packages...a couple of questions for you and Orbx team

1/How much disk space did XP11 with just Europe installed take up?

Q’s@ORBX

2/ How much space does Holland & UK TrueEarth take up? (approx if you are still adding to it )...

3/ How much disk space will Barton take up?

4/ If using XP11, what is the required install path for these packages?

5/ What is the required pc spec to achieve a fluid sim experience with high detail/autogen in XP11 with these packages?

6/ Pricing, any indication of these package costs? and any cross sim discounts available for us guys heavily invested in P3D Product

From what I have researched, XP11 ... could turn out to be a great vfr experience with TrueEarth and it is ‘an to scratch’ to see if it can offer a fluid, stutter free experience with rl weather and high settings...looking forwards to ‘having a dabble’ with XP11 & TrueEarth :)

hI

Can I add another must have piece of software that takes all your X-Plane files, Scenery, Airports, Libraries, Mesh etc , and automatically sorts them in the correct order to allow your flightsim to run correctly. It is called XOrganizer and is Free at the following link:- https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/31085-xorganizer-windows/

Kind regards

Ian

Archived