Please resurrect OLC Asia

rtissera

Hello,

So glad to see OpenLC Africa being released, just bought it (instabuy).
We're so close to have a full worlwide cover of Orbx regions with seasonal support it's sad to know OLC Asia has been dumped.

Maybe you should run some polls or asks for interested people to prebuy / preorder a possible OLC Asia region ? Or use crowdfunding ?

I would gladly buy it full price to make sure my P3DV4 has a worldwide Orbx cover, especially since I am afraid FS2020 will soon become FS2022....

Keep up the good work and stay safe at home !

An happy customer from France,

Romain

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An amazing idea Michael, even if I don't think the financial part was the reason for the cancellation. Still mabe if they would sell some 100 copies in advance, it could help to make a decision. It woul be such a pitty if just one (very nice) spot of the world remains empty in our sim. 

16 minutes ago, beat578 said:

An amazing idea Michael, even if I don't think the financial part was the reason for the cancellation. Still mabe if they would sell some 100 copies in advance, it could help to make a decision. It woul be such a pitty if just one (very nice) spot of the world remains empty in our sim. 

Honestly, the idea was not mine but taken from the OP Romain, I just would support it.

Kind regards, Michael

I would like to see OpenLC Asia too.

While beta testing oLC Africa, I had been thinking how big it was.  Asia is 50% bigger!

Good land class (and a good mesh) can turn a flat, tan, wasteland of default scenery into rolling hills with different vegetation and accurately placed towns.

Seeing how much better Africa now looks with oLC Africa, definitely makes me want the same for Asia.

1 minute ago, Matt McGee said:

While beta testing oLC Africa, I had been thinking how big it was.  Asia is 50% bigger!

It memory serves me right, Asia was intended to be made in two parts once. Which would certainly be appropriate and even more lead to part of if being available earlier.

Kind regards, Michael

I would absolutely pre-purchase openLC Asia provided that it cover the *entire* rest of the world, to include the Caucasus area which should have been included in openLC Europe, minus Oceania, Australia, and New Zealand of course.

Dave

I'd also support and purchase LC Asia to get the gap closed. With the present situation and announcements from the FS2020 team regarding delays, it's more than obvious that the Sim will likely release next year. Same for P3D v5 or similar. Even if they would release on schedule, not everyone will switch immediately as more the very brave ones first and the others over a time of about a year or more. 

Kind regards. 

22 hours ago, Matt McGee said:

Good land class (and a good mesh) can turn a flat, tan, wasteland of default scenery into rolling hills with different vegetation and accurately placed towns.

Seeing how much better Africa now looks with oLC Africa, definitely makes me want the same for Asia.

Yes but nearly half of Asia is Siberia.  That's 9 time zones of birch trees.  The primary areas to focus on there will along the main rail lines and major rivers -- basically where the main population centers are.  Plus I suspect data - really good accurate data - might be hard to come by anyway.

Mongolia is probably similar with the obvious exception of the Gobi desert.  Pretty country, though.

I'd love to have a decent OLC for Asia.  In fact I was a bit surprised Orbx didn't do Asia first, ahead of Africa.

And another person who would purchase OpenLC Asia as soon as it was released.

But since it takes so long to complete such vast areas, my suggestion would be to  divide Asia and the currently uncovered portions of the Middle East

into maybe half a dozen OpenLC areas. and charge $20 AUD to $30 AUD each. Such smaller OpenLC areas might be more manageable and more quickly

completed by any smaller development companies you might decide to source the projects out to.

Just a thought. Now I'm off to fly Africa.

Keep up the good work.

-Bob

On 3/26/2020 at 1:22 PM, beat578 said:

100 pre-paid copies would only cover about 5% of the development costs. I think people forget how expensive these regions are to make.

2,000 pre-pays and yes, you’d have our attention for sure.

14 minutes ago, Stewart Hobson said:

Surely, we can get 2000 Orbx subscribers/customers to pitch in?

I think so. Sign me in for 2 copies.

Kind regards, Michael

3 hours ago, John Venema said:

100 pre-paid copies would only cover about 5% of the development costs. I think people forget how expensive these regions are to make.

2,000 pre-pays and yes, you’d have our attention for sure.

Thanks for your answer John so we have an idea of the rough development costs.

Do some people know a platform to setup a "pledge" or similar thing (worldwide) ?

I'm sure Orbx can set up a pre-pay system for openLC Asia at very little cost.

First, they can set up a pledge poll to gauge how many people at least go on the record that they will pre-pay, and then if they get close to 2000 pledges then set up the actual pre-pay system where folks actually pay for it in advance.

Orbx, will you do this?

Thanks.

Dave

7 minutes ago, dave302 said:

I'm sure Orbx can set up a pre-pay system for openLC Asia at very little cost.

First, they can set up a pledge poll to gauge how many people at least go on the record that they will pre-pay, and then if they get close to 2000 pledges then set up the actual pre-pay system where folks actually pay for it in advance.

Orbx, will you do this?

Thanks.

Dave

That was exactly the two-step system I thought about, too. Certainly would make sense.

Kind regards, Michael

A pre-order support donation, which will be accounted for the final purchase, may be an option to evaluate how ma y are interested. If it works out - great, otherwise the money will be reimbursed to the customers or given as voucher. 

Kind regards. 

I'd chip in.

There would have to be a check box though: 'I shalt not whine 'arewethereyet?i'vepaidforitalready!' ever' because it's gets old quickly (and I'm just a forum user, not even on the dev team...)

Gents, if you allow me to be the so called advocatus diaboli, let us assume we will get 2,000 people, who are willing to pre-pay for OLC Asia, how long do we think it will take the talented Orbx team to come up with the final product? One year? Two years? Only the Orbx team will have an answer. Remember how long it took to develop OLC Africa!

In one year, if we are lucky, we'll be able to enjoy MSFS and we'll have Asia in all its glory. Of course not all of us fancy MSFS and will stick for many years to come with P3D, but how many will that be?

I'm now speaking only for myself, so please don't scold me for this, but if I'd have the chance to get MSFS in let us say one year and if it would take Orbx also one year to come up with OLC Asia, I would prefer the MSFS version and that is why I would not prepay for OLC Asia. But again, that's just me and many of us here will certainly have a different opinion. 

Why do you think I believe that the MSFS version is a bit superior? Well, I'm not allowed to talk about this ;)

5 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Gents, if you allow me to be the so called advocatus diaboli, let us assume we will get 2,000 people, who are willing to pre-pay for OLC Asia, how long do we think it will take the talented Orbx team to come up with the final product? One year? Two years? Only the Orbx team will have an answer. Remember how long it took to develop OLC Africa!

In one year, if we are lucky, we'll be able to enjoy MSFS and we'll have Asia in all its glory. Of course not all of us fancy MSFS and will stick for many years to come with P3D, but how many will that be?

I'm now speaking only for myself, so please don't scold me for this, but if I'd have the chance to get MSFS in let us say one year and if it would take Orbx also one year to come up with OLC Asia, I would prefer the MSFS version and that is why I would not prepay for OLC Asia. But again, that's just me and many of us here will certainly have a different opinion. 

Why do you think I believe that the MSFS version is a bit superior? Well, I'm not allowed to talk about this ;)

I understand what you're saying, and if it would take a year to release it might not be worth it.

It's my understanding based on past posts that Orbx farmed out the development of openLC Africa to a single person.  Perhaps there were actually more working on it, but the developer got behind and clearly didn't meet the deadline for release.

If Orbx had a dedicated team of 3-4 people who know what they're doing developing this then I bet this could be completed in 6 months or less.

Question: are there even 2000 people registered on this forum?

Dave

Archived