Announcing CAC8 - Nanaimo Water Aerodrome

Are you looking for something different? How about a highly detailed seaplane base, Nanaimo Water Aerodrome on Vancouver Island BC in fact. And how about free, as in Orbx Freeware? Economists say the value of something is what you pay for it, but I'll let you be the judge.

A long-term goal has been to recreate the feel of flying from Seattle to Desolation Sound on Kenmore Air, something I did for many years. Nanaimo is a main stopping point along this route and thus is a natural for my first Orbx project. A detailed seaplane base may be a first for Orbx too.

Nanaimo Water Aerodrome (IATA: ZNA, TC LID: CAC8) consists of two areas of operation, A and B. Area A, adjacent to downtown Nanaimo serves Harbour Air and Sunshine Coast Air. Area B to the north will not be included in the initial release but will be part of a service pack.

Here's an overview:

ys2ygcUYNtF1TgY570a80466a90f.jpg

The initial release will include the following:

What a pilot sees when approaching the Area A seaplane dock, done in considerable detail; the breakwater, the marina, the waterfront walkway, the downtown buildings one can see from the water, the park to the north.

The industrial area to the south including Port of Nanaimo structures and a high-resolution static model of the ship MV Ocean Wind

Two reasonably authentic AI foot ferries, one going to nearby Newcastle Island and one going to the locally famous Dinghy Dock Pub, also modeled 

A high resolution static Seaspan tug (Seaspan Corsair) and an AI version (Seaspan Cutlass) which follows a route to the booming grounds to the south

Large log booms in appropriate places

High-resolution Seaspan Barges, First Nations racing canoes, and a model of a bathtub racer. The may I say --- crazy sport of bathtub racing was born in Nanaimo

Various authentic marine navigation aids

A static model of a Harbour Air DCH3 adapted from an FS9 model by Premier Aircraft Design with the kind permission of Bob May    Repaint by LR from a photo taken at Nanaimo last September

The BC Ferries Nanaimo to Gabriola Island ferry terminal just south of the marina

If my separate PNW AI ferries Community Scenery project is installed, a detailed model of the MV Bowen Queen will accurately dock at the ferry slip. (Note: the ferry system is not an Orbx project and is not supported by Orbx.)

When ready, a service pack will add Area B including the SeaAir terminal, the large Departure Bay Ferry Terminal and nearby features.

Please note: Orbx PNW is strictly required. CAC8 will not work without it.

CAC8 is in the final phase of testing and barring unforeseen problems, should be released soon.

And now what you really want to see; screenshots.

0CRgYESQ3z5BVPL56f8466a8bdcc.jpg

IeZLNxiJjyp1erA56f8466bc4bca.jpg

ITkMFekxN6Yg82g56f8466be3449.jpg

Ttj9cdDHyt0IgTu56f8466c4f391.jpg

mxckjQBeiqcZQIx56f8466d6bfb8.jpg

C3xC5jSiMsKZmHG56f8466e883e4.jpg

HiZXrTYrkNijVD656f8466f06b5c.jpg

g5n7BoXIX56lf8X56f8466f8f073.jpg

CkObAkQwdDkRx3g56f8466fe3791.jpg

9gEDhv8QoxoYQqH56f846700ae56.jpg

6BOvbvv4qa4iUmQ56f84670cfe71.jpg

r26Lgc1nWSfNzsU56f84671578da.jpg

xDUPdFr4f5B7ZR156f8467180eb1.jpg

pEL8LWLJFUFcnQS56f8467303620.jpg

bYg07ZWHz9LVpgx56f84674d78d5.jpg

53 minutes ago, real said:

Wow! but why not also include Nanaimo airport/CYCD?

Nanaimo Airport is done in excellent detail by Don Grovestine. There is no need to redo his excellent work. Go here for his collection of Vancouver Island airports.  They have been specifically designed with compatibility with Orbx.PNW scenery.  Follow the install instructions carefully.

http://stuff4fs.com/open.asp?JS=TRUE

As you know Larry, I live just down the road.  I have taken the floats over to Vancouver 100s of times. I know the area intimately.  By the looks of your screenshots you have done an amazing job capturing this area in superb detail, everything from handrails, sidewalk signs, paint on the door of Harbour Air office, walkways, buildings, docks, and my favourite bistro on the waterfront....everything is spot on.

Great job again my man!

1 hour ago, fltsimguy said:

Nanaimo Airport is done in excellent detail by Don Grovestine. There is no need to redo his excellent work. Go here for his collection of Vancouver Island airports.  They have been specifically designed with compatibility with Orbx.PNW scenery.  Follow the install instructions carefully.

http://stuff4fs.com/open.asp?JS=TRUE

I agree i have it installed and that's a wonderful scenery. i just think that ORBX could cover all the area around the airport (city etc).

Outstanding news and great looking images! Such a nice idea with a detailed seaplane base near Seattle when flying out from lake Union (btw. would also be wonderful with an update with the Kenmore base). I hope we will soon see a new high quality seaplane from one of the top developers that will truely allow us to explore this forthcoming release in its full glory. 

WOW>>>>> As a former resident of Nanaimo - I went to culinary school there in 1984-85 - I can only say stunning - the shops look excellent as does the waterfront features/Coast Hotel etc. When I go home for Xmas - we take my Dad (91 years old) down there for walks.

Really really good. Time to start searching out my beloved "Raven" seaplane.

I can taste the Nanaimo Bars ---google it... delicious dessert.... 

I wish Jon Patch was around to see this.  He would approve I am sure.  Now is a good time to grab his Vancouver V3 add-on if they don't have it already.

Larry, I have stayed at that Coast Hotel, while attending a conference with a foreign delegation.  We even flew most of them over to Vancouver on those seaplanes (took the ferry myself I as was the driver).  Fun memories and really looking forward to this.

The screens look amazing and a seaplane base is just another great pick.

Makes me dreaming about "FTX Global seaplane base packs" and payware addons combining airfields and seaplane bases. I could imagine there's some potential beyond what "4th party developers" have provided.

EDIT: Something like the Friday Harbor package with an even greater emphasis on the seaplane side of things.

Thanks so much for your interest folks,

Stillwater, duplicating a Kenmore Air flight will be a lot more realistic when Area B and Departure Bay is included in a service pack. Kenmore Air  uses the SeaAir terminal http://www.seairseaplanes.com/  which will be modeled along with a fair amount of the surrounding area. No time frame for this. 

BrianV, updating the Kenmore Air terminals (Lake Union and Kenmore) is something I've fiddled with just for myself, but the whole area is so frame rate intensive that any really detailed scenery might be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Bermuda425, I think the Otter shown in your video is the very same plane I photographed on arrival at Nanaimo. The textures on the model are from those photos.

Perk, CAC8 should be completely compatible with VancouverPlus and VicPlus for Orbx PNW. I should mention that there are other freeware offerings that include CAC8 in one form or another and will not be compatible with CAC8. It's easy to forget that you have these installed. I know!

As for other seaplane bases in the PNW, I've got several in mind, but let's see how this goes first.

Incidentally, I think you will find that trying duplicate the flight path of the commercial carriers at CAC8 is tricky, especially with single engine aircraft that do not have reverse thrust. They do not decelerate in an authentic manner after touchdown. With the FSX Beaver for example, if you try to follow the Port of Nanaimo regulations when landing at Area B there is a good chance you will plow right into the far shore well after touchdown. But it's possible to twiddle with the aircraft.cfg to shorten the stopping distance if you are willing to accept other compromises.

Larry,

This looks wonderful. The addition of a series of detailed water aerodromes on the Pacific coast that can link flights realistically up and down the coast will be a very welcomed  concept by us GA lovers. Your intro shots are great and I wish you success in this. I will be a supporter and eagerly await your offerings. Thanks for doing this.

On 4/11/2016 at 6:49 AM, Ripcord said:

I wish Jon Patch was around to see this.  He would approve I am sure.  Now is a good time to grab his Vancouver V3 add-on if they don't have it already.

Criminey, I did beta testing for Vancouver V3+ as well as some of his freeware stuff.  He was a pleasure to work with always.  I see now that he passed away about a year ago now, I was taking a break from Flight Sim and hadn't seen that :(  I was even thinking the other day that I should contact him and see if he has anything in the works he needs testing on :(

Yeah, he would have loved this.  And Vancouver V3+ is absolutely worth picking up if you enjoy flying ORBX PNW area.

-stefan

Thanks so much folks. You all know the story of counting chickens before the eggs are hatched, but I think with the help of the beta testers all but one showstopper has been resolved. Assuming that can be fixed, it's just a matter of confirmatory testing. I should mention that Area B to the north is coming along and the current plan is that it will be part of a service pack. Did I mention that it will include the large Departure Bay ferry terminal? Orbx? Another ferry terminal?  Well, yes, but Area B will have the SeaAir seaplane terminal too.

Ripcord, I too stayed in the Coast Hotel last fall. A few of the textures I used are from photos from my 8th floor window. And since I had stayed there, I spent quite a bit of time trying to get the hotel roughly right and yet not add a gazillion triangles.

Great looking stuff Larry and I look forward to its release.  I cycled (illegally) along the boardwalk many times on my way to YellowPoint Lodge (hey, there's another idea for a building, it would stand out well). The detail you are showing is incredible.

Nigel

Vancouver

ps anyone living in this PNW region, particularly in Vancouver and Vancouver Island, are the luckiest simmers in the world!

On 4/26/2016 at 0:48 PM, shortspecialbus said:

Criminey, I did beta testing for Vancouver V3+ as well as some of his freeware stuff.  He was a pleasure to work with always.  I see now that he passed away about a year ago now, I was taking a break from Flight Sim and hadn't seen that :(  I was even thinking the other day that I should contact him and see if he has anything in the works he needs testing on :(

Yeah, he would have loved this.  And Vancouver V3+ is absolutely worth picking up if you enjoy flying ORBX PNW area.

-stefan

And wasn't a Westjet pilot involved too? She may not have been with Westjet at the time, she was flying around with Jon Lovelace for Wings over Canada, can't recall her name right now, she seemed so nice.

Archived