Announcing CAC8 - Nanaimo Water Aerodrome

Larry,

The pictures look fantastic.  I like the picture with the transit bus.  Can't wait until it comes out.  Been hoping for Nanaimo Harbour for a long time and from what I see you have done a fantastic job.  If you need any photos just PM me and I can take them.

Tom B.

On 5/6/2016 at 11:03 PM, Zigarten said:

And wasn't a Westjet pilot involved too? She may not have been with Westjet at the time, she was flying around with Jon Lovelace for Wings over Canada, can't recall her name right now, she seemed so nice.

If you mean the V3+ beta testers, I don't remember.  I only really interacted with them in the beta forum and usually only to confirm what they were seeing or get them to confirm what I was seeing, and so forth.  I was a little pressed for time at that point so I kinda had to limit my interaction solely to testing stuff.  I do recall that everyone that I interacted with for it was very nice and helpful, and nobody made fun of me when I was having huge problems that stemmed from my not reading the manual ;)  I believe that ended up with something being made a bit more obvious in the manual, haha.

I feel bad that I didn't find out for a freakin year that he passed away.  It really is a shame.  I'm very pleased to see work that fits his MO, though!

-stefan

The sad point is no one is going to (or even allowed to) carry these excellent Vancouver 3+ and Victoria 9 sceneries into the future. Neither are they going to get native P3D3 installers nor will anyone make Dovetail versions or update these according to real world changes. Sad indeed :(

Kind regards, Michael

18 hours ago, pmb said:

The sad point is no one is going to (or even allowed to) carry these excellent Vancouver 3+ and Victoria 9 sceneries into the future. Neither are they going to get native P3D3 installers nor will anyone make Dovetail versions or update these according to real world changes. Sad indeed :(

Kind regards, Michael

Why's that Michael?  Is there some sort of copyright that will be infringed upon?  Sorry if this is getting off topic, though it does seem like the natural course of action to request that Vancouver 3+ and Victoria 9 be integrated and updated by someone(s) talented enough *cough* ORBX *cough* to take up the torch that Jon has left.

Mark

3 hours ago, SDFlyer said:

Why's that Michael?  Is there some sort of copyright that will be infringed upon?  Sorry if this is getting off topic, though it does seem like the natural course of action to request that Vancouver 3+ and Victoria 9 be integrated and updated by someone(s) talented enough *cough* ORBX *cough* to take up the torch that Jon has left.

Mark

Without knowing detail, there are certainly two major issues. At first both are certainly copyrighted with the rights (and the sources) being with the heirs. The second is someone able to do so has to make them fit for Prepar3d, add/modify new structure like buildings and roads etc. and distribute them.

Both are sensitive issues, legally as well as technically. I did a little research on the state time ago as I am *in love with* both sceneries, but the results were all but encouraging at that point. 

Kind regards, Michael

Build the scenery from the ground up.  Jon Patch, God rest his soul, did a wonderful job on the scenery he developed.  Since his scenery is outdated and unusable in P3D v3, what would prevent a scenery developer from designing an up-to-date scenery?  While Jon's scenery is copyright protected, the area certainly is not.  I cannot fathom why a new scenery for the Toronto area and Victoria could not be developed in the future to compliment CAC8.  I hope you will consider developing several scenery packages for these areas in the future.  I believe Jon would want the work to be done.

Hi folks,

Just a quick note to say that CAC8 has not evaporated; the thought is that it makes more sense to wait until the unified landclass lookup and new Orbx libs are in place before the last bit  of testing.  Consider this a migraine preventative on your part.  As for duplicating Vic Plus for Orbx PNW and Vancouver Plus; far far easier said than done, but I do have in mind one or two projects that Jon and I discussed and that I know he would have approved of.

Thanks Larry, this is great to hear. You'll get my support (and money) for any developments in that fascinating region.  Perhaps you could team up with Mauricio after finishing his French adventure for an ORBX Vancouver City Scape (proposed working title)...

Kind regards, Michael

• 1 month later...

Just loaded up this release...fantastic work!   Thanks so much Larry and to all those who assisted in bringing this one to life.

Hopefully this is the first of many similar water aerodrome projects to come.   Just can't get enough of them really.

Hi Larry,

Just installed this - it is every bit as good as I hoped it would be and has immediately become my favourite ORBX freeware scenery and is up there with Squamish and Bella Coola for my favourite ORBX scenery full stop (or period, if you are American!).

Many thanks; can't wait to see the next part and the other sceneries you develop.

Also, I'm a little confused about the Vic Plus and Vancouver plus comment above - I have both installed in P3D along with PNW; I have just got P3Dv3 on a one month non-recurring license to test it out and so have loaded a ton of stuff into it and have not really had time to check it all out fully, but I haven't noticed any issues with either Vic plus or Van plus - maybe I have missed something? Both screencaps are from P3Dv3 

VanPlusP3Dv3.jpg

VicPlusP3Dv3.jpg

On 2016-05-18 at 8:06 PM, Larry_R said:

it makes more sense to wait until the unified landclass lookup and new Orbx libs are in place before the last bit  of testing. 

Does this mean I would not be able to  'see'  this CAC8 scenery in my FSX setup if I do not have the latest Orbxlibs installed ? 

I have Orbxlibs 160321 as I opted to wait until issues with latest version are ironed out.    ( I have FTXC  V 2.1.5988.3534 ).

9 hours ago, MZee1960 said:

Does this mean I would not be able to  'see'  this CAC8 scenery in my FSX setup if I do not have the latest Orbxlibs installed ? 

I have Orbxlibs 160321 as I opted to wait until issues with latest version are ironed out.    ( I have FTXC  V 2.1.5988.3534 ).

As long as your FTX PNW is working properly, all of CAC8 should show up. Besides, there area a fair number of other folks already living on the wild side. :-)

Thank-you, Larry.  

Yes all Orbx is up to date and working great,  except the Orbxlibs are still 160321 , and as a result FTXC is still  'switchable'  between regions.

All of my recent updates  (KPSP,  Vector 1.40  etc.)  went through problem free.  My scenery addons are all from Orbx,  so I think everything will go through OK if I update to the latest libs version now  (noticed lot of posts re blurries involved systems with both Orbx and non-Orbx scenery combined) ,  but I would definitely like a  'fix'  to already be in place for the blurries so I am not stuck waiting for the resolution,  should they plague me once I  'cross on over to the other side',  if u know what I mean,  LOL ! 

Looking very much forward to this CAC8 scenery.  I fly a lot in PNW and this will make it that much more enjoyable.

• 1 year later...

Thanks much Beetitan; I'm glad you enjoy this project.  At some point I would like to do a Service Pack that besides fixing a number of minor problems, adds the Harmac Mill to the south.  The photos I would need however will be hard to come by -- I'd like the modeling  to be as reasonably authentic as is practical . If you know of anyone who could get me a selection of photos suitable for textures, could you ask them to get in touch?

Larry

18 minutes ago, Larry_R said:

Thanks much Beetitan; I'm glad you enjoy this project.  At some point I would like to do a Service Pack that besides fixing a number of minor problems, adds the Harmac Mill to the south.  The photos I would need however will be hard to come by -- I'd like the modeling  to be as reasonably authentic as is practical . If you know of anyone who could get me a selection of photos suitable for textures, could you ask them to get in touch?

Larry

Larry I am away at this time, and won't be back until end April early May however I could do the photos for the harmac mill at that time as I live only 20 minutes away. I most probably could arrange for access as well being and ex Forester that worked in that industry. 

Anyway up to you if you can find someone before that time excellent otherwise put me down for the job. 

Any interest in doing the Crofton pulp mill also 5 minutes from my place. In Crofton.   It's a missing piece as well and the structures are similar to Harmac. 

Bryan 

10 hours ago, fltsimguy said:

I could do the photos for the harmac mill at that time as I live only 20 minutes away. I most probably could arrange for access as well being and ex Forester that worked in that industry

Hi Bryan,

That would be great! Photos of the Crofton mill would be a good a good substitute if that would be easier. I’m in no hurry, enough on my plate at the moment. I’ve been puttering with some PR for the Hamac mill but it needs buildings and other structures that would at least pass for parts of a mill to make it look right.  Send me a PM you might be able to take some photos.

Thanks much!

Ps: I imagined myself flying up to Nanaimo as I did for the pics for CAC8, getting a taxi to the Harmac mill and then pointing my camera through the fence here and there. Not only would I probably be arrested, I might not even make it back across the border. :)

Great to see that interest in this magical area has not waned.. I fly there constantly.

The scenery for the area from Vancouver and up around Squamish and up the coast to Nanaimo and Pender are my favorite  "low and slow" places, and I  spend many happy hours cruising these ...The sound of additional industrial scenery in the area has me drooling..Bring it on.. Teecee.

• 5 months later...

Hi folks,

Since YRC was released I’ve been working on what I hope is a fairly significant upgrade to CAC8. Below are a few screens of some of the new stuff. 

Newcastle and Protection Islands plus a large part of Nanaimo from Departure Bay to south of town are now annotated PR.   The Harmac mill south of Nanaimo is modeled and the surrounding area now has annotated PR, including Duke Point where a BC Ferries terminal is located.  

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.139459,-123.8649714,2063m/data=!3m1!1e3

I’ll have an update for the PNW ferry system so that it will work with the new CAC8 scenery. The terminal model itself will still be a part of the ferry system.

I also redid the Seair seaplane dock with a higher resolution texture that reflects the dock as it exists now.  Many of the low res static boats have been replaced with either my custom boats or some recently acquired Orbx models.  A bunch more minor stuff too plus a fair number of fixes. Performance should be roughly the same as before based on the efficiencies in using the autogen system in spite of all the additions but I don’t want to make guarantees for all systems.

The CAC8 v1.20 update should be ready after I fix the problems found in testing.

69-83afa5d90364a5c050dee577cf8fe219.jpg

69-5f6d5bc882c68137430cda78ac83eeb4.jpg

69-b45b6e20c5dffa50ab65fcb119bd2ccf.jpg

69-9c6ab6253279ac7b292ae32081ff4c4d.jpg

69-25853ee66bbb276afdd8b7398abd2297.jpg

69-9313e25dd618a29d349838431255611d.jpg

69-0b190239893bc417e9a8175c2326dd55.jpg

69-3697f7d9f6be4c558c7d5a53d5c57962.jpg

69-54003d69f26d468b35de81ad494fe193.jpg

69-4810a965cd27263723216dc4edad6701.jpg

69-e1bc253cab3d8e9df8a6e695bd083211.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:14 AM, MartinM said:

Any chance to see a Xp11 version?

Sorry, X-Plane conversions are not something I would take on. I have a hard enough time making sure everything continues to work  in P3D.  I doubt that having someone else attempt a conversion of this freeware would be in the cards.

Larry

Archived