IMPORTANT! openLC EU release soon - FTX Global is mandatory, VECTOR recommended

Hello all,

It's a very exciting time for us here at Orbx as we approach the launch window for openLC EU!

I wanted to make it clear however, just what openLC is and needs.

1. OpenLC EU is an addon-on for FTX Global. That means, it won't look like the preview screenshots at all if you attempt to install it by itself. We have made this clear from the beginning, and we have always marketed the FTX Global series of products as going hand-in-hand with each other as a "three layer solution". We have a detailed document explaining this approach here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/74345-the-definitive-guide-to-ftx-products-the-go-to-source-of-ftx-information/

Given the vast number of customers with FTX Global, I expect 99% of all openLC customers already have it installed.

2. We STRONGLY recommend also having FTX Global VECTOR installed. This will complete the three layers and provide a cohesive solution for the new LC textures to fit with the improved coastlines, docks, roads and rivers. Again, without VECTOR installed you will not see the same results as all our preview screenshots. Remember, every preview post has fully disclosed all the 3-4 layers we are using to achieve the results.

3. For the best overall solution we recommend PILOT'S FSGlobal2010 mesh or at least a good mesh for all of Europe. This is also essential for the landclass to work with our lclookup.bgl mods to ensure crops and fields are correctly placed off steep hillsides, since the FSX engine determines slope calls based on the mesh resolution.

4. You must download the latest Orbxlibs when openLC EU is released. We will update Orbxlibs later this week with the latest autogen descriptions and lclookup mods. This is important because without these core files being updated you will see unpredictable results.

I wanted to make it absolutely clear that openLC is just one part of a total solution. Please do NOT purchase it if you intend to use it by itself, as you will be disappointed and unsupported in doing so. Let me repeat that: if you purchase openLC EU by itself and post support requests, the first thing you'll be told is to purchase FTX Global.

We will make the requirements clear on the product page, FSS page and user guide.

Finally, openLC EU is a HUGE installation, the installer will be split into four exe files, each about ~4.5GB, so always use a download manager when grabbing your purchase. We have not yet determined the final file sizes so stay tuned.

Thanks!

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, 25GB should be just enough, perhaps copy the installers to a separate HD and install each of them from there into your C: FSX\P3D drive, to allow for decompression of all the files. 

We'll publish the final disk space requirements this week, but if it's 16GB in installers then 25GB may be just enough uncompressed if you keep the installers on another drive.

Wow, thank you John for the update and yes, you made it more than perfectly clear about the requirements.  Since I recently discovered the power and benefits of FTX Global, I've been buying up everything ORBX to create that layering system you guys developed.  With the upcoming OpenLC, I am sure this will not only complete the picture but make for the best enjoyable flying to date.

Thanks again to you and your staff.  You all make great products, not to mention that they actually work rather well on my laptop too! :)

Shit, there it goes my SSD space. Really thought that my 250GB SSD will have enought space for my FSX plus FTX Global, FTX Vector plus one or the other OpenLC products... Well, then I maybe have to get another 250GB SSD 8)

wow. Is there any info, and sorry for asking, on how this will impact the FPS when adding more then just these 3 layers? Will I still be able to fly into large hubs with a heavy aircraft without smashing my head into a brick wall? :)

Thanks for the reminder to all John! You have made this more than clear from day 1 so nobody should have any excuse. Wow! 25 Gb...Amazing...I better check my SSD on how it will deal with all the Open LC products. It'll definitely be fine for a few but at least there's plenty of time to plan for down the line to have them all installed....Looking forward to an Orbx Open LC world...Cheers again! The build up and excitement begins... :smile: :smile: :smile:

In terms of those who only own FTX GLOBAL and are looking to buy OpenLC, does it matter if I later decide to buy FTXVector and install it after FTX GLOBAL and OpenLC? I also do not currently have a mesh product like FS GLOBAL 2010. I was under the impression having these 3 products (eventually) would enhance the FSX mesh...??

Yes you can decide to install VECTOR after openLC EU but of course there will be elements missing, like docks and ports. However not having VECTOR won't cause openLC to malfunction, it just won't be complete though.

The three layers (FTXG / VECTOR / OLC) do NOT provide for enhanced mesh, that again has been made clear over a year ago :)  We only included a demo of the FSGlobal2010 mesh in the Iceland Demo.

And what about download serwers after release? Yes - I know - the peak of downloads is 1-2-3 days after initial release date, later everything back to normality. If I remember it was always a huge pain, when I (and hundreds, thousands of others) discover 4 kilobytes per second with 2-4 gigabytes file size. This time will be 18 gigabytes to download... :/

There is always going to be a high server demand for a large download product, so if you want to wait 2-3 days then that may be your approach. Also, monitor the forums to see how people are going with their download speeds. We have a very robust CDN with many nodes on all continents so you can pick the best connection for you.

As I changed the priorities of Global and Vector, I want to delete both and reinstall them...

So the correct sequence would be Global, Vector (and later OpenLC EU), correct?

What about the freeware packs? Can I leave them as they are or shall I remove them and reinstall them aswell?

Regards

As I changed the priorities of Global and Vector, I want to delete both and reinstall them...

So the correct sequence would be Global, Vector (and later OpenLC EU), correct?

What about the freeware packs? Can I leave them as they are or shall I remove them and reinstall them aswell?

Regards

All three products automatically install themselves in the proper order.  Had you changed that in your Scenery Library in the sim?   If they still work now it shouldn't be a problem when you add OpenLC.

You can leave the freeware packs as they are too.

Hope this helps.

Great news!  :)

2. We STRONGLY recommend also having FTX Global VECTOR installed. This will complete the three layers and provide a cohesive solution for the new LC textures to fit with the improved coastlines, docks, roads and rivers. Again, without VECTOR installed you will not see the same results as all our preview screenshots. Remember, every preview post has fully disclosed all the 3-4 layers we are using to achieve the results.

Does this mean that it will also work with UTX Europe? Even if it's not recommended or supported.

Greetings

Tim

hello John,

wonderful news, I'm looking very forward to the release!

Just one question: I've installed the Island-demo. Do I have to deinstall it before installing LC-EU oder will this happens automatically?

thanks Kai

All three products automatically install themselves in the proper order.  Had you changed that in your Scenery Library in the sim?   If they still work now it shouldn't be a problem when you add OpenLC.

You can leave the freeware packs as they are too.

Hope this helps.

Shame on me, I played with the priority... -.-

Hi John, many thanks for the update I am waiting with extreme patience lol, a question I am using Scenery Tech for the United States which I do believe uses their own lclookup.bgl so does that mean that I will have to uninstall ST Land class for the US to install OPEN_LC? or is it okay to keep those files untill the United States Land class comes out?

Thanks in advance.

Please some pictures of holland with the flowers?

Those were posted over six months ago :)  - http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/69013-openlc-eu-first-new-texture-shots/

Great news!  :)

Does this mean that it will also work with UTX Europe? Even if it's not recommended or supported.

Greetings

Tim

openLC EU is not designed to work with UTX Europe, sorry. We cannot guarantee any resemblance of proper scenery showing if you have UTX landclass layers active. If you want to only use UTX vector layers then feel free, but again, openLC was not designed for it.

hello John,

wonderful news, I'm looking very forward to the release!

Just one question: I've installed the Island-demo. Do I have to deinstall it before installing LC-EU oder will this happens automatically?

thanks Kai

You don't need to do anything with the Iceland demo, the installers will take care of that automatically. openLC is basically 'install and forget'.

As I mainly fly North America, and only have about 24g left on my SSD, I may wait for Open LC world, any idea on a release date for that John or are you releasing a North America version on its own...

Cheers Dave .H..

openLC North America is still planned for a 2014 release at this stage.

Hi John, many thanks for the update I am waiting with extreme patience lol, a question I am using Scenery Tech for the United States which I do believe uses their own lclookup.bgl so does that mean that I will have to uninstall ST Land class for the US to install OPEN_LC? or is it okay to keep those files untill the United States Land class comes out?

Thanks in advance.

The ST lclookup.bgl must not be active at the same time as ours, you will get seriously weird results if it is active.

And what about download serwers after release? Yes - I know - the peak of downloads is 1-2-3 days after initial release date, later everything back to normality. If I remember it was always a huge pain, when I (and hundreds, thousands of others) discover 4 kilobytes per second with 2-4 gigabytes file size. This time will be 18 gigabytes to download... :/

There is always going to be a high server demand for a large download product, so if you want to wait 2-3 days then that may be your approach. Also, monitor the forums to see how people are going with their download speeds. We have a very robust CDN with many nodes on all continents so you can pick the best connection for you.

Hmm, this file size is bitter news: It took me half a day to download FTXG Base & Vector (and I had to take one day off in order not to be in conflict with my streaming kids). And this was 2 weeks ago, so far after the release date. I would really be glad if you would return to a box supply dirstribution - as the individual shipping fee from Australia is prohibitive.

Thanks for the update, it's coming soon!

Download speeds aren't very good in my country even in the best of times, so I might need to wait a while. Being able to download each ~4.5gig file separately will help.

I guess I might have to dedicate about 200 gigs to FTX Global once all OpenLC packages are out, right? Still, my wallet is already itching to be used :D

i know there is a thread about price, but could you make it clear what the total cost will be for europe for the LC please,hope the release isn't too far off, i am ready ::)

What is not clear about it? It's right in the first post in the Pricing Thread.

Thanks for the update

Why can't you include Orbxlibs with the installer and automate it's installation?

And one final note: please don't forget about middle east LC

Best Regards

Ali A.

Archived