IMPORTANT! openLC EU release soon - FTX Global is mandatory, VECTOR recommended

i don't even fly in europe, but i want to see how the LC looks, so i guess i will be spending alot of time in Europe to hold me over until the U.S is released, from the photos, this is going to be amazing, can't wait, already have the money set aside now for it :-) probably a weekend release, oh and thank you John and the rest of the Orbx team, this is a milestone for you i am sure.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, 25GB should be just enough, perhaps copy the installers to a separate HD and install each of them from there into your C: FSX\P3D drive, to allow for decompression of all the files. 

We'll publish the final disk space requirements this week, but if it's 16GB in installers then 25GB may be just enough uncompressed if you keep the installers on another drive.

No problem, we´re in the age of terabyte hard disks and even the large SSD´s are now scratching on the one terabyte mark. I just hope that people have a good DSL line, but on the other hand a lot of data means a lot of information to build a good replication of Europe. Welcome to FS12! 

Cheers

Those were posted over six months ago :)  - http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/69013-openlc-eu-first-new-texture-shots/

openLC EU is not designed to work with UTX Europe, sorry. We cannot guarantee any resemblance of proper scenery showing if you have UTX landclass layers active. If you want to only use UTX vector layers then feel free, but again, openLC was not designed for it.

You don't need to do anything with the Iceland demo, the installers will take care of that automatically. openLC is basically 'install and forget'.

openLC North America is still planned for a 2014 release at this stage.

The ST lclookup.bgl must not be active at the same time as ours, you will get seriously weird results if it is active.

Bummer but can I just rename ST lclookup.bgl to off when in Europe and rename Orbx lclookup.bgl when in the States, no big deal of not I'll just use the Orbx lclookup and fly in Europe until the

US landclass is ready. Sorry to be a pain, a short yes or no will be okay. Thanks John

To answer my own question above it looks like I will have to uninstall Scenery Tech's land class for the United States because it not only uses their own lclookup.bgl backing up the original one but it also replaces 63 texture files (backed up) in world/texture directory, so looks like I will have to put things back to normal with an uninstall, as I said a bummer as I was hoping to use them both until OPENLC for the US comes out.

Thanks

I'm just curious - If all OpenLC regions will add up to nearly 100GB of new textures when it's all said and done, how much of the FTX Global Base Back textures will still be used when it's all said and done?  I would hate to see the $90 Global Base Pack go largely unused when it's all said and done.

I'm just curious - If all OpenLC regions will add up to nearly 100GB of new textures when it's all said and done, how much of the FTX Global Base Back textures will still be used when it's all said and done?  I would hate to see the $90 Global Base Pack go largely unused when it's all said and done.

Land class is detailed information about the landscape. What it is zoned for, where towns are located, what type of ground environment is present such as rock, desert, vegetation, etc I dont know how many textures will be included but John has  said " each region pack will come unique new textures to provide for the most accurate regional LC possible"......In addition you require Base and Vector.  I highly, highly doubt the $100 base pack will be left un-used lol....

Well !   I had purchased a 256 gb SSD for Prepar3D 2.  I saw this and ordered a 500 gb SSD.  I'll find something to do with the other one LOL.  With the exception of Tongass Fjords, Vancouver, and Victoria Prepar 3D is FTX only.  Looks like FTX needs more room than I thought...

Sue

To answer my own question above it looks like I will have to uninstall Scenery Tech's land class for the United States because it not only uses their own lclookup.bgl backing up the original one but it also replaces 63 texture files (backed up) in world/texture directory, so looks like I will have to put things back to normal with an uninstall, as I said a bummer as I was hoping to use them both until OPENLC for the US comes out.

Thanks

lclookup.bgl is a single global control for the sim engine (as I've said before many times, this is a horrible design limitation by Microsoft), so you have to either choose which one you use or swap files in/out, which is why FTX Central exists.

man thise files are getting massive i don't like that part but i do understand to cover such larger area it will get big and entire world ohmg i can't imagine what size it will become

In all honesty EU will likely be the largest texture footprint due to the dramatic variety in landclass and geography across the continent.

The base pack is essential since it is used in every OLC folder many times; without the base pack you would only see about 30% of Europe covered by the new unique textures.

So if we install OpenLC Europe, we can't fly in other regions covered by Global because the lclookup file is different? Is that a joke?

Incorrect. We have engineered lclookup.bgl to allow full use of all FTX regions and FTX Global at the same time, using our hybrid mode in FTX Central. Installing openLC EU won't affect your ability to use FTX Global in any part of the world.

That's a good question :) I guess FTX Global will be used as default textures in between OpenLC textures. But the default texture folder 'Scenery/World/Texture' folder is only about 8 Gb if I remember correctly. So OpenLC is really huge :)

I've already partially answered that question above. Some more info.

OpenLC EU contains over 10 separate scenery folders which all have unique textures allocated to the to give particular areas of Europe their distinct flavour. But those unique textures only provide perhaps 30% uniqueness to each area because for the rest the FTX Global textures work perfectly well.

The reason for the large size of install is the need to re-use textures in multiple folders. Once again we run into the woeful design limitations of the original Microsoft engine, which allocated only 128 types of terrain for the entire planet, haha!

So again, without the FTX Global Base pack install you just would not get the results you see here.

Thanks for answering so quickly John I appreciate that and I understand the problem with lclookup.bgl as you said bad for expansion of the sim I wonder if they really knew how the simming hobby would take-off (pardon the pun) and so were caught with their pants down so to speak, but I guess they could have done a much better job for the next version knowing the huge following the genre had, so to do what they did attempting to make it into a "game" ugh! which was a total failure then shutting down the project after more than 25 years and was a huge mistake which now will be taken over by a company that needs to sell arms to survive oops apologies for getting political, hopefully they will drop the arms bit and concentrate on what is good for humanity and do a fantastic job on a new flight simulator open sourced so that other companies such as yourself's can do what they do best.

Thanks

Thanks John for the heads up and all the information.

I find very interesting what you are explaining here, not only as a soon-to-be openLC EU customer but also from the point of view of someone looking for some technical insight.

I'm very much looking forward to openLC EU, having seen all those fantastic preview shots.

I only have 20GB left on my SSD (C drive with windows)

FSX/Prepar3d are on D and E drives.

Would it not be possible that each of the separate parts of the overall 15gb are split into stand alone executables?

tks

Peter

If you have your P3D on D and E why worry about the size of LC? It should install fine in the ORBX library inside your P3D if you have room enough on the D drive.

I now don't know what to think: by the questions presented here, I realize that many are daunted by the size of the file OpenLC for Europe! But how could it be otherwise? During the presentation of the prerelease shots, most asked for it, asked what, etc.. Now were fulfilled the wishes!

Everything that appears in this world occupies space! At this stage of the game, much work has been done - IMHO, I think we should have a little patience and help the Orbx team to implement that greatest job!

Cheers,

So just to be sure. OpenLC EU needs to be installed on the same hard drive as FSX?

Or can I use another hard drive as well?

Sorry, just found the answer to my question in another thread. So if I would like to use another disk then FSX, I'd need to reinstall all FTX products I own +orbx library to that other disk. Is that correct?

I only have 20GB left on my SSD (C drive with windows)

FSX/Prepar3d are on D and E drives.

Would it not be possible that each of the separate parts of the overall 15gb are split into stand alone executables?

tks

Peter

That is precisely how it will come, as four executables. You only need to provide the FSS registration info on the first of the four installers.

I totally agree with Voyager...I'm also sorry but I really cannot understand why a few people are worrying about hard drive space, of all things, if they want a better sim world. And I only write to add my thoughts to those few only, if hard drive space, specifically, is a concern for them.

Its really simple and really obvious... If Open LC is going to make the difference to the world we all want and have been waiting and longing for, and be worth doing in the first place to be as incredible as the guys have made it...to a level which gives us local/regional flavours within each continent, a more realistic and diverse world of interesting scenery, of course its going to need space...its a given...and so what?! We're all constantly expanding the sim with new add-ons all the time anyway so that's something INEVITABLE at some point anyway, no matter what. If someone doesn't want a product that does what Open LC does, then they don't need Open LC or the hard drive space and there's nothing more to say for them. As JV has already once alluded to, for those who want to go down this journey of a completely new world compared with default, and don't have enough space to immediately install EU, well now is the perfect, most sensible and most appropriate time to invest in a new LARGE SSD (or HDD) that would be coming someday anyway, which will have more than enough space to be future-friendly enough to fit all the OpenLC packs and MORE (Don't forget airports, other scenery, environment upgrades, aircraft etc that we already collect and will no doubt continue to add). I'd say get the largest size you can afford. I'm currently using a 500 GB SSD, for instance, and though there's plenty of room for a few of these Open LC packs, but I already know Im going to need a 1TB drive in the near future so there's plenty of time to plan and budget for it. Afterall, if someone has enough space for Open LC EU, there's many months to plan for a new SSD for anyone, before even OpenLC NA comes out, and even a couple of years before they're all out. Then all one has to do is CLONE the existing sim installation onto that new drive, using cloning software...NO NEED TO REINSTALL ANYTHING AT ALL....Job done. It's all a fuss about nothing I'm afraid. Hard drive space should not be the limiting factor in the advancement of our flight simulation hobby or we may as well stop right here. Its a total non-issue when all's said and done, I'm afraid.

Really don't mean to sound harsh but just felt someone needed to get across that spending any more time unnecessarily discussing this issue ANY FURTHER as a limiting factor is a real waste of time and futile, instead of the original point of the thread and any other questions regarding installation and generally being ready for a product we have asked for and wanted badly for so long now...Its time to get ourselves ready, get our drives ready (perhaps in a few cases maybe wait until you're able to prioritise getting yourself a new larger drive before cloning and installing, if you want this add-on), and then enjoy the build-up and excitement for the biggest change to our simulated world that has ever happened...thanks to Orbx! After all, Open LC is nothing less than the biggest Game-changer yet. No offence meant to anyone and I'll shut up now that I've made the point and apologise if it came across a little over-harsh. Rant over... :ph34r:

All I say is, lets get ready for the OpenLC world, whatever that requires in our own ways...Its time to reap the rewards of all this hard work and the exciting and far more realistic world the guys have painstakingly made for us to enjoy, explore and fly...What could be greater than that?! :smile:

Sid, you have said everything that needs to ber said!  ::)

Remember ALL the thredas people have started about HDD:s and SSD:s? "My new SSD will make a revolution for my FS so i have invested in a 128GB SSD." I have warned about this several times and told people do NOT buy an SSD smaller than  500GB, but NO, Jack is an idiot and doesn´t understand NADA: I´m tempted to say "What did I tell you!"  8)

There is a thread about how to install an SSD to replace a HDD. Read that thread!

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/80917-replacing-hdds-with-ssds-without-a-complete-reinstall/

I made that misstake several years ago and boutht a 128GB SSD (could not afford a larger one at that time) and I just wanted to use it for my OS. BUT I have found out that a lot of programs install on my C-drive (SSD) regardless if I want it or not.

After tomorrow I can tell you if I made it or not!  ::)

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Nice one Jack! :smile:

Well, I can also admit I have made that mistake in the past too with my first 256 GB SSD...then discovered Orbx...and then got myself 2 500Gb SSDs and quickly learnt its always wise to pre-empt and plan for the future with the largest SSD possible and affordable at any given time. I couldn't agree with you more! And, yes, I quickly noticed the same point you make about things installing on the C drive too. From what I understand, its always ideal to at least have twice as much space on the drive than your going to use.

Hope it works out for you tomorrow and you make it mate...Fingers crossed, eh?! ::)

All the best Jack,

Sid :smile:

Incorrect. We have engineered lclookup.bgl to allow full use of all FTX regions and FTX Global at the same time, using our hybrid mode in FTX Central. Installing openLC EU won't affect your ability to use FTX Global in any part of the world.

Does this mean that with the introduction of openLC, we won't have to use FTX Central to switch full fat regions any more?

Or will the option still be hybrid OR full fat only?

I am still dreaming of the day that I don't have to use FTX Day/Night or Central before each flight.

Guest satbold

Vector recommanded? That`s a no Go. In Vector you can disable Features, but the exlude files will be not disabled. You get so not the standard features back outside from addons, you get nothing if one features was disabled. Further Vector is the Frame Killer for P3D v2. Smooth is other.

Working only with FTX Global, that`s ok, but not more!

Hello,

very nice news!

Will there be a kind of list of places where we should fly to see extraordinary scenery details?

Like the Vesuv ...

Would be nice to have some destinations you recommend where we could admire openLC

Some words on the compatibility with Switzerland Professional X? I assume, that this will not be a problem, as it was none with FTX Global or FTX Vector?

Switzerland Pro X (by FlyLogic) is a photographic scenery product... and photographic scenery will always take priority over other types of scenery in FSX of P3D.

In other words, no matter where it is on your scenery library, you will always see it displayed. It should work just fine, but remember that it uses a different colour palette to the FTX Global/OpenLC textures so you may well see the border between it and Open LC very clearly.

The reason for the large size of install is the need to re-use textures in multiple folders. Once again we run into the woeful design limitations of the original Microsoft engine, which allocated only 128 types of terrain for the entire planet, haha!

Ahh.  Thanks, John.  That's the piece I was looking for.  It wasn't making sense to me why the space requirement for textures was sky-rocketing all of a sudden compared to default FSX and even FTX Global Base, but this explains it.

Hello,

very nice news!

Will there be a kind of list of places where we should fly to see extraordinary scenery details?

Like the Vesuv ...

Would be nice to have some destinations you recommend where we could admire openLC

Some places for you to try in Spain.

Eastern provinces in Andalusia (Malaga, Granada, Almeria).

The chopper hop from Jerez to Ceuta (Gibraltar Strait).

The trip from Asturias to Bilbao.

The whole Pyrinees (Try to fly around La Seu d'Urgell, LESU in an ULM).

Also you can fly following rivers like Ebro or Tajo.

Outside Spain i wanna fly from Dover to Calais in an WWI plane.

There are many places where you can trip in Europe.

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk

Hi Juanvito,

Sorry to bother, but can someone clarify about what happens with SceneryTech? I had been hoping to continue using it in the regions not covered by OpenLC.

You can keep using SceneryTech and other landclass addons outside of the openLC Europe coverage area as before. The potential issue is with the custom lclookup.bgl file that is included as an optional installation for SceneryTech. Since there can only be one lclookup.bgl active at any one time -- one lclookup to rule them all :ph34r:  -- you can use only one or the other. That's nothing new though because it's exactly the same as with any other Orbx FTX Regions or Global Base and Vector meaning nothing changes in this regard. Besides it's really a non-issue because the changes in the SceneryTech lclookup.bgl file version are fairly minor (see the ST readme) and the authors themselves state: "Therefore, if you have other scenery packages installed that are fine-tuned in accordance with the default lclookup.bgl, you may wish to forgo installation of this enhancement."

Cheers, Holger

Hi Juanvito,

You can keep using SceneryTech and other landclass addons outside of the openLC Europe coverage area as before. The potential issue is with the custom lclookup.bgl file that is included as an optional installation for SceneryTech. Since there can only be one lclookup.bgl active at any one time -- one lclookup to rule them all :ph34r:  -- you can use only one or the other. That's nothing new though because it's exactly the same as with any other Orbx FTX Regions or Global Base and Vector meaning nothing changes in this regard. Besides it's really a non-issue because the changes in the SceneryTech lclookup.bgl file version are fairly minor (see the ST readme) and the authors themselves state: "Therefore, if you have other scenery packages installed that are fine-tuned in accordance with the default lclookup.bgl, you may wish to forgo installation of this enhancement."

Cheers, Holger

Thanks for the info! I can't remember if I installed the ST lclookup back then, but I suppose it doesn't matter.

Hi, LC EU looks like a great addition to our hobby, and I will be happy to buy it on day 1.

I only have one problem with Vector: I understand from studying the support forum that, once you install Vector, a mesh becomes mandatory. 

I don't want to buy Vector or the mesh for now (and do not have enough room on my SSD) and I am afraid that the following will happen (I already have Global base on P3D2): 

1) I buy LC EU: looks good but I observe some oddities here and there, so:

2) I buy Vector. Looks great, but I lose some fps (will I?), and, anyway, I see some obvious elevation problems, so:

3) I have to buy the mesh, which means a new SSD, replacing the old one in my case and so on.

If this is the story, I'll have to pass for now: I can spend 20€ for LC and even add in 50€ more for Vector alone, but not 60€ more for the mesh and 200€ for the new SSD.

If I can stop after step 1 or even step 2 with no other issues (not even losing fps), I'll be more than happy to buy LC EU.

Thank'you

Andrea

Archived