Size of Open LC packages?

Acnielsen

Hi,

I´m using FTX Global/Vector now in combination with FSGlobal 2010+ FTX addon and REX Essentials. Superb combo, that I will update with the Open LC packages.

Now, I am planning for a new Haswell Refresh rig with an SSD for FSX and addons. So I would like to know how many GB each package will take up? In fact, I am planning to get them all as they are released, so how much extra space will the entire LC package take up – approximately?

By the way; take the time needed to finish the LC packages; I would rather wait a couple of months to get a matured product in the first place, that an early release followed by a zillion service packs. After all, this is a hobby – so why the rush?

Best Regards,

Anders

Still determining the size for the final installer. It will be massive, well over 15GB just for EU alone. This is due to the huge amount of new textures and the need to replicate textures to provide unique autogen for each sub-region of Europe. We are considering splitting the installer into 3-4 chunks to make downloading easier.

I would factor at least 100GB for the entire world of openLC.

Not unless you link the entire Orbx folder to an external HD.

Disk drives (even SSD's) are very cheap these days, and with a cloning tool you can move to a new HD very quickly without needing to reinstall the lot. I'd recommend as part of an FS hobby that generous amounts of HD space is almost a top priority.

Oops - I meant a second internal drive but you answered that to really. I have enough room at the moment on my SSD drive but may run out of space at some time.

I have four internal 2TB HDD drives in my system also hence my question re using a second hard drive.

Thank you for your fast reply :)

Cheers,

Craig 

Yeah, I knew the LC packages would be huge. Right now, I have trimmed my files to keep file loading times to minimum but right now I have 201 GB left on a 500 GB HDD. (no SSD as of yet.) For those not yet aware of it, after a drive exceeds 50% of capacity, loading times will be a lot longer as the drive head takes longer to find the files on the drive. So it comes down to deleting old files that are seldom used or purchasing a larger drive.

Guess I've put off building a new rig long enough. (LOL)

Cheers everyone.

i bought a seagate 600 series 480 gig ssd for 209 usd, right now thats plenty of room for all of the LC but of course i will probably buy europe and the U.S outside out that i don't really fly anywhere else, so i would assume it will be 50 gigs or less for my setup with LC, my current fsx with the mesh,global and vector, and numerous airports is 79gig so i probably wont use more than 130 gig total, but thats good news, i was expecting LC to be possibly larger for europe.

Thank you very much for the prompt answer.

Wow, 15 GB for Europe alone.. It sounds like some serious project!

I think that it would be good idea to split it up in 3 downloads.

And I will now factor in a 500 GB SSD in my budget.

Or maybe a 250 would do it, if I install all my FSGlobal 2010 mesh and REX Essentials on my 250 GB Velociraptor?

I think that I will keep the OS on my 120 GB SSD, also in my new system.

Best Regards,

Anders

A 500GB SSD will NOT be enough for the present and upcoming (next year or so) ORBX sceneries + FSGlobal + som other add-ons (weather, aircraft).

What more. An SSD will NOT give you better performance in your FS. Primary loading time yes (a few swconds) but in terms of fps, stutters, and things like that, NADA!

Have your OS on an SSD an the rest on a fast HDD, that´s the cheapest and best solution at least for the next few years.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

A 500GB SSD will NOT be enough for the present and upcoming (next year or so) ORBX sceneries + FSGlobal + som other add-ons (weather, aircraft).

What more. An SSD will NOT give you better performance in your FS. Primary loading time yes (a few swconds) but in terms of fps, stutters, and things like that, NADA!

Have your OS on an SSD an the rest on a fast HDD, that´s the cheapest and best solution at least for the next few years.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

Maybe 500GB is enough for me. I don' t have nor intend to get any of the current ORBX packages. I am actually quite impressed with the level of detail provided by FTX Global/Vector. Now, if I could get 100GB more detail with the open LC packages, I think I would be happy with the image quality for some good time to come. I don't care if the church in my hometown not is 100 percent correct in FSX, or if EKCH not is looking exactly real. My main objective with FSX is simulation of flying, not standing on the tarmac. So I just want more variation of the landscapes than default..

But I agree with you, that an SSD maybe not does more than faster loading of the sim.

Best Regards

Anders

I've got a 1TB Samsung SSD that's been running very nicely since I got it (8/2013). It's on my Orbx/FSGlobal only dedicateds rig and with all I have presently installed I've still got 550GB left so I should be in good shape for the forseeable future.

The biggest advantage to an large SSD, no more defragging. I didn't realize how annoying defragging hundreds of GB's of mechanical drives on my other rig was until I got the Samsung on my newer rig. Especially given all the scenery addons Orbx has and is releasing, the occassional new plane, changing weather textures, updates to existing installs, paints, and on and on. It's worth the price of admission for that reason alone in my experience. I also don't believe that there's any performance advantage to multiple SSD drives over a large single one.

2x 500gb Seagate drives configured as a RAID0 (stripe) works great for me... I end up with a 1tb drive that runs almost twice as fast as a regular drive. It's dedicated to flight sim exclusively too...

Jack

the Swede in Spain

You are wrong there is better performance, more smooth flying as textures are loaded instantly.

And a new model ssd is safer from hd failure.

The only thing that is true in your statement here is a regular hard drive is cheaper. That's it. Everything else is false.

When websites do benchmarks for games, they are using games that are not like the flight sim engine. Small maps that only rely on load times. FSX loads textures when you fly and an ssd helps with blurries, texture loading, and smoothness of flight.

I have a Crucial M500 960GB 2.5 Internal SSD. It is very inexpensive compared to the Intel variants and performs brilliantly.

I would highly recommend it given the size that FSX will grow once Wolrd wide openLC is released.

I have 2 SSD's:

240 GB for Windows 7 x64 and the 960GB SSD for FSX.

My setup is built and setup as per Nick N's Guide:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

The above guide is a gut full but its worth all the effort.

Happy flying all.

Ok, I currently have two WD Velocity 300gb HDD. I have my Windows 7 OS on one and fsx on the other. I have around 164gb left in my fsx hard drive. I clearly need more space after reading JV post. He also mentioned it is easy to clone a drive and install it on another. I have no idea how that is done. I would need to take the current hard drive that has fsx on it, install the new one (thinking a minimum 500gb SSD) and put the clone copy on the new drive. Can someone please tell me how this would be accomplished? Thanks

Sent from my T-Mobile LG G2

Archived