IMPORTANT! openLC EU release soon - FTX Global is mandatory, VECTOR recommended

One last question regarding the hybrid mode. Is it the exact same hybrid mode currently used, so the regions are enabled with Global?

Because I am having a hard time not getting out of memory errors when flying anywhere, using hybrid mode.

If I enable hybrid mode for the OpenLC, will that also enable the FTX regions? If so, then I will get out of memory errors and be unable to fly my PMDG 777 because of the too high vas usage. I am only able to fly in FTX regions and with hybrid mode when using an airplane that uses less vas. Unfortunately.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi David,

the whole point of Global's hybrid mode is to enable users to fly between different FTX regions and areas not covered by FTX regions. Thus, obviously, the regions are activated in hybrid mode. If that doesn't work for you for one reason or another then uncheck hybrid mode and the regions will be deactivated. The openLC entries are not controlled by the hybrid mode checkbox meaning you can active or deactivate them manually anytime.

Cheers, Holger

Hi David,

the whole point of Global's hybrid mode is to enable users to fly between different FTX regions and areas not covered by FTX regions. Thus, obviously, the regions are activated in hybrid mode. If that doesn't work for you for one reason or another then uncheck hybrid mode and the regions will be deactivated. The openLC entries are not controlled by the hybrid mode checkbox meaning you can active or deactivate them manually anytime.

Cheers, Holger

Confused again. What about how OpenLC changes the lclookup file. If I want to fly in and out of Europe, with the other areas controlled by Scenery Tech landclass, wont I need to enable hybrid mode so the lclookup works outside OpenLC areas?

Hi David,

there is no separate lclookup.bgl for openLC, only those that are already supplied with FTX Global meaning the "base" and the "hybrid" variants. Again, nothing changes from the current situation.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks for the clarification, sorry I'm being a pain. That is great to hear. I just freed up more space on the ssd and am ready to purchase!

Hi all, 

As mentioned above, due to the size of the package, we are going to split the installer into 4, divided geographically. I have attached a quick mock up of what regions the 4 installers will contain.

The Four Installers.pdf

Each installer will be self contained, so theoretically you can just install what you want (but why would you  :smile: ). Note that the Iceland will be included with this installer and can be installed over the Demo.

Cheers

HI Ed,

Thanks for the info!. may I ask, does the EU10 UK & Ireland part have to be installed, if the individual region's are already installed for the UK?

Cheers,

The UK & Ireland is part of the "Northern" installer and is installed with Scandinavia & Iceland so it cannot be avoided. In saying that, it works with the FTX UK & Ireland regions, so no issues there.

Thank you Ed! That's really very handy indeed :smile:

Hi Oreto, I would imagine the Canaries will come as part of Open LC Africa...Geographically (and hence perhaps more suitably in terms of landclass and texture development) they are really part of the African tectonic plate. Politically, of course they are part of Europe as a Spanish sovereign overseas territory, though in economic terms not part of the EU. I think the team probably felt it easier for development as part of the Africa landclass, which makes sense to me. But don't be too disheartened as we get Europe now, which is huge and diverse...with the Canary Islands, Azores etc... to still look forward to as part of the upcoming OpenLC Africa... :smile:

Edit: Oh...JV already answered...there we are...Really looking forward to release now... ::)

Thank you John and Sid for the fast reply. 

I thought that the Canary Islands were included based on what I remembered from the map shown on http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/61436-ftx-global-openlc-worldwide-areas-rollout-plan-details/. I have rechecked the map now and is clear that they are not included in EU but in Africa.

Thanks again

Sid, you have said everything that needs to ber said!  ::)

Remember ALL the thredas people have started about HDD:s and SSD:s? "My new SSD will make a revolution for my FS so i have invested in a 128GB SSD." I have warned about this several times and told people do NOT buy an SSD smaller than  500GB, but NO, Jack is an idiot and doesn´t understand NADA: I´m tempted to say "What did I tell you!"  8)

There is a thread about how to install an SSD to replace a HDD. Read that thread!

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/80917-replacing-hdds-with-ssds-without-a-complete-reinstall/

I made that misstake several years ago and boutht a 128GB SSD (could not afford a larger one at that time) and I just wanted to use it for my OS. BUT I have found out that a lot of programs install on my C-drive (SSD) regardless if I want it or not.

After tomorrow I can tell you if I made it or not!  ::)

Jack

the Swede in Spain

you are correct, the larger you can afford is better, but it all depends on your needs,i could fit my whole flight sim on a 128 gig ssd , and i did for 2 years, but i upgraded to a 480 gig ssd because i have many other games installed, if you only have fsx installed along with global,vector,pilots mesh and soon the European land class and a few other plane addons, you could make 128 gig work in a bind, but 250 gig ssd's have dropped so drastically that noone should buy smaller than a 250 gig ssd and if you plan on buying all the LC you are right a 480 gig is a wise investment,it's also true you should never fill an ssd 100% full,i paid 209.00 usd for a seagate 600 series 480 ssd and that was dirt cheap, and i think it has even dropped further, because sata express and m.2 will be come mainstream over the next couple years, my fsx folder and mesh together is about 70 gig,when i add the first stage of the LC will hit around 85 gig so no smaller than 480 gig if you plan on installing all the LC as it released, i know i am one of them that said 128 gig was enough, but at the time i believe ssd were still more expensive than they are nowi still use a 128 gig samsung 840 pro for my os drive and the 480 gig is for all my programs and my boot drive is 80% empty.

Note that the Iceland will be included with this installer and can be installed over the Demo.

Ed,

I am not sure if this has been asked and answered before, so here I go:

Since I have already FTX Global, Vector, FSGlobal2010 and soon LC Europe, there will be no longer need for the Iceland demo (I assume). Or will I miss out enhanced airports?

(If I want to remove the Iceland Demo, I found instructions here:

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/80880-iceland-demo-uninstall/)

Correct Eric, no need for the Demo as openLC EU contains it, airports and all. We will still keep the demo available for those that do not have Global, Vector etc.

Thanks for your quick reply, Ed.

So do you mean LC Europe contains objects and airports enhancements for Iceland?

If so, are there also similar airports enhancements in other areas of the LC Europe package?

Thanks for your quick reply, Ed.

So do you mean LC Europe contains objects and airports enhancements for Iceland?

If so, are there also similar airports enhancements in other areas of the LC Europe package?

Yes, whatever was in the Iceland Demo is in the Europe openLC package. And sorry no, there are no other airport enhancements.

Thank you Ed! That's really very handy indeed :smile:

Hi Oreto, I would imagine the Canaries will come as part of Open LC Africa...Geographically (and hence perhaps more suitably in terms of landclass and texture development) they are really part of the African tectonic plate. Politically, of course they are part of Europe as a Spanish sovereign overseas territory, though in economic terms not part of the EU. I think the team probably felt it easier for development as part of the Africa landclass, which makes sense to me. But don't be too disheartened as we get Europe now, which is huge and diverse...with the Canary Islands, Azores etc... to still look forward to as part of the upcoming OpenLC Africa... :smile:

Edit: Oh...JV already answered...there we are...Really looking forward to release now... ::)

Just one correction. Canary Islands aren't a sovereign overseas Spanish territory, but a regular Autonomic Comunity like Murcia or Catalonia. It belonged to Castille Crown from XV century. No offense in this, just for information.

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk

will the EU LC rollout by friday, just asking again, i would say i am speaking for a large majority of us that have are cards ready, just bought a couple uk 2000 airports and was curious which payware orbx airports supports heavies if any for Europe, i would like to add those to my list :-)

Sorry for repeating my question: I'm afraid it went unnoticed.

In brief: I have global base (and love it) and would like to buy LC EU.

Does that mean that I will have to buy vector as well in order to avoid oddities here and there? 

And in that case, will I have to also buy the mesh for the same reason?

Thanks in advance for your answer

Andrea

Hi Holger, well, I am not sure it does, or maybe I'm missing some piece of information .... John is saying quite clearly that you need Global and that Vector is optional but advised.

To put it simply: if I just add LC to Global and no Vector, will I see oddities?

If I add LC + Vector and no Mesh, will I have elevation problems? I sort of lost track of the latest developments under that point of view.

I just want to avoid this "chain reaction", because the mesh step would cost me a fortune.

Thank'you

Andrea

@ EC-HXM:

Indeed, you're absolutely right...My mistake EC-HXM...Was just trying to simplify things for ease of general understanding but, in retrospect, perhaps it would have been better in explaining it like the autonomous Catalunya...No offense taken at all my friend...You were absolutely correct to explain things more precisely. Thank you! ::)

Best regards,

Sid

The reason for the large size of install is the need to re-use textures in multiple folders. Once again we run into the woeful design limitations of the original Microsoft engine, which allocated only 128 types of terrain for the entire planet, haha!

is the same true for P3Dv2.x? all those limitations including the "lclookup.bg" (one for the entire world) limitation mentioned by you earlier in this thread?

in case it is true to P3Dv2.x as well, do you know if LM are addressing those limitations and planing on changing them

to be more "developer" friendly,etc.? did you guys by any chance discussed those with LM?

Yes, whatever was in the Iceland Demo is in the Europe openLC package. And sorry no, there are no other airport enhancements.

Correct Eric, no need for the Demo as openLC EU contains it, airports and all. We will still keep the demo available for those that do not have Global, Vector etc.

I am a little puzzled by this statement that Iceland Demo is 100% incorporated into the OpenLC in combination with Vector and Base and no longer needed.

earlier on Sep 2013 John mentioned that Iceland Demo has  some Photo-real shots that should not be expected to be incorporated into OpenLC EU, those are like Bonus shots for Iceland Demo only.

It also contains a photoreal area to cover much of Reyjkavic and BIRK Reykjavic Airport. Note that this is a little "bonus" in the demo so don't expect photoreal areas to be included in openLC :)

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/65429-ftx-global-openlc-vector-mesh-iceland-demo-20-new-shots/?hl=iceland

Could you shed some light on this? is it no longer correct? where those shots of Reyjkavic and BIRK Reykjavic Airport are included in EU OpenLC?

if true and Iceland Demo has Unique Photo real photos, then we might want and keep it installed for those who fly in that area.

Just one correction. Canary Islands aren't a sovereign overseas Spanish territory, but a regular Autonomic Comunity like Murcia or Catalonia. It belonged to Castille Crown from XV century. No offense in this, just for information.

Enviado desde mi iPad con Tapatalk

No offense but to be technically correct we are custodians of the land we cannot own it. But I do understand what you are saying.

@ Brett Cutley:

Hey Brett, first of all, thought your earlier comment regarding hard drives was very well put.

Second, Like you, my card's ready too...Can't be too long with release hopefully but just wanted to help a little with the second part of your question regarding currently available Orbx European Airports that can take heavies.

Well, first up, If you have FTX EU Wales, you get a really wonderful Cardiff International Airport custom made for it included free...And, believe me, I can tell you its incredibly accurate and just as my local real world airport to the extent I get nostalgic when I fly in and out of it. It is served by heavies, particularly 737s, A318-20s and Dash 8 Q 400's and it has a runway long enough to handle a Boeing 747 and A380 (BA's first A380 landed there last year during testing) as that is where British Airways has its Engineering base so, with BA being the world's largest operator of the 744, you do see plenty of 747's coming in and out, whilst the fleet is still operational for some time yet. If you're interested and have a quick search on YT, you'll find there's a great hour-long documentary showing how the BA facility carries out its 747-400 D check at Cardiff. Just search 'ba d check cardiff'. And, with people flow, and more accuracy and extensive cover (which in fact covers all of Wales ::)...just use hybrid), its even better than the UK 2000 version, which isn't bad. So that's one. Just think of it as buying Cardiff International Airport and getting a whole nation with it... ::)

Then, the next one I'd highly, highly recommend in your case, is Southampton International on the south coast of England...Its done by Lars and Martin of 29 Palms, whose quality of work speaks for itself...And it is amazing...One of my favourites and a must have!

Then, technically, if you like a challenge, you could just about get a 737 SFP into their Sumburgh up in the Outer Hebrides, which is another work of art (with a switchable option for a sloped runway).

Other devs do have a few more but this isn't really the place to get into that so don't intend to, and you already have the main one anyway. I'm not sure if there's any other Orbx EU airports that can currently take heavies but that's a good start for you, at least, and I hope it helps a little. And...really, they're all great! I'm sure more will come, e.g. in Norway...and with OpenLC EU, technically Orbx could now make really well-fitting airports anywhere in Europe...Isn't that great potential?! :D

All the best Brett,

Sid :smile:

thank you sid for answering my questions, it really helped in making a decision, i haven't bought any europe addons yet, i am waiting on the LC first and then i will check the other airports you mentioned, again thanks for the reply

Anytime Brett...Glad if it helped a little. Yes, that sounds like a good idea with Open LC around the corner...You can then steadily add the other airports...they really are great, beautifully and painstakingly done to represent their real-world counterparts, and with great coastal approaches in the mix too...and remember it'll work great with hybrid mode so no worries there...But yes, in your shoes, I can understand and I'd probably first get the underlying base of OpenLC  at this stage. Whichever order, enjoy mate! Won't be long now I guess... :smile:

Anytime Brett...Glad if it helped a little. Yes, that sounds like a good idea with Open LC around the corner...You can then steadily add the other airports...they really are great, beautifully and painstakingly done to represent their real-world counterparts, and with great coastal approaches in the mix too...and remember it'll work great with hybrid mode so no worries there...But yes, in your shoes, I can understand and I'd probably first get the underlying base of OpenLC  at this stage. Whichever order, enjoy mate! Won't be long now I guess... :smile:

i am looking at them now, had no idea fsx could have a sloped runway, i am buying the LC as soon as it releases and then will buy wales, i assume i can install it over the top of all the other scenery, i have spent a fortune on 3rd party airports in the U.S  but i want to start giving Europe some attention with it being the first with the LC coming out.

That makes total sense Brett! I'm largely taking the same approach to a degree...its worth populating each Open LC region with airports, in preparation, in the order they come up for release...as its these sceneries that will truly add the icing on the OpenLC cake and fulfil its true potential in any region.

Yes, when you get Wales (very good choice by the way ;)), I believe with it being your first Orbx EU add-on, you would just install it with FTX set to Global (make sure its not set to North America) , I think. But perhaps someone who knows for sure might just help out and confirm if this is the case. I know for any airports, FTX Central should be set to the region they're in but I think you would install Wales onto Global (which will also include your Open LC EU, for all intense purposes). I think we'll be pleased to have the first Open LC pack soon. Can't wait to explore the whole world when the all the packs are out but this will keep us nice and busy whilst the others can be worked on in peace, eh?! Great stuff! Good luck buddy! Let me know if you have any more questions...If I can help, I will...

I would still like to hear from ORBX about these two important points.

Will OpenLC EU replace, update or improve the land class and textures for the full fat UK/IRE regions?

...We have engineered lclookup.bgl to allow full use of all FTX regions and FTX Global at the same time, using our hybrid mode in FTX Central. Installing openLC EU won't affect your ability to use FTX Global in any part of the world.

Does this mean that with the introduction of openLC, we won't have to use FTX Central to switch full fat regions any more?

Or will the option still be hybrid OR full fat only?

I am still dreaming of the day that I don't have to use FTX Day/Night or Central before each flight.

Hi Toby,

the answers are No and No.

FTX Regions have more accurate landclass because they also use lots of spatially accurate land-use polygons, like wetlands, golf courses, open pit mines, etc.  

As I've mentioned somewhere else in this thread the situation with FTX Central isn't changing with openLC. The currently existing modes, including the "hybrid" option, is the best we can do given the limitations imposed by lclookup.bgl and other global landclass/autogen files.

Cheers, Holger

...We have engineered lclookup.bgl to allow full use of all FTX regions and FTX Global at the same time, using our hybrid mode in FTX Central.

This quote from John makes it sound like the previous compromises that needed to be accepted to fly with 'Hybrid' active have been fixed though, is that correct or will I still not get the 'full' experience flying with hybrid as opposed to region specific?

Archived