IMPORTANT! openLC EU release soon - FTX Global is mandatory, VECTOR recommended

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am passing the time reading the manual, which is available on the product page. This statement in particular made feel good:

"Orbx makes no excuse about the fact that we want your business across all three layers so that we can release hundreds of FTXG-compatible airports on this platform and its features."

Hundreds. Like the way that sounds.

"Orbx makes no excuse about the fact that we want your business across all three layers so that we can release hundreds of FTXG-compatible airports on this platform and its features."

That would be a nice feature if all OrbX-Region-Airports would be delivered in the future(and/or old ones) also as a FTXG-version...

Hello everyone, can feel the crowds, just a quick one, Do we need to uninstall Iceland Demo or just install EUopenLC on top ,

right now  quick busy, preparing the system, survey and plenty of reading  and  waiting anxiously for arrival of  1TB Samsung Evo ssd

from Amazon just for the ORBX scenery

Thank you.  ricky1088

P.S. I guess switch FTX central to Global  prior to install EUopenLC

I am passing the time reading the manual, which is available on the product page. This statement in particular made feel good:

Hundreds. Like the way that sounds.

Me too!  ::)  ::)  ::)

Hello everyone, can feel the crowds, just a quick one, Do we need to uninstall Iceland Demo or just install EUopenLC on top ,

right now  quick busy, preparing the system, survey and plenty of reading  and  waiting anxiously for arrival of  1TB Samsung Evo ssd

from Amazon just for the ORBX scenery

Good move with getting that ssd now Ricky! Now that's what I call smart!  ::)

Hi mates, you guys have given me the assurance  and strongly believe I had make the right choice,  hurray....hurray...

Thanks all for the reply to my question as well. could have reply earlier in my office but for some reason which I do not know, my PC

in the office out of the blue just went dead, of all time it choose to act up on me at this moment while I am busy preparing to welcome

another top of the world scenery, Phwee.... take air,  you know what I mean (EUopenLC). What happen next is , spent the next forty or so minutes spring cleanning

the pc but that didn't bring any joy to me at all ,initially it take me to the bios page, prompt me to boot from recovery CD which I do not have,

switch off and turn on again, this time round, nothing on the screen, not about a loose cable, I checked, really , really at this point of time, I don't want to waste anymore time

on this so call my once faithful companion that has assist me all the way it could with my work and flightsim.  Conclusion,

I think  It's time to retire the PC   however  I must admit it is quite an old PC, a Compaq brand, HP bought over, correct me if I am wrong.  After this , going to head over to

Dell, to buy just a simple  CPU minus the monitor as existing Samsung is still going strong and healthy, touch wood...... That all for now.

Take care everyone out there..     ricky1088

Hi mates, you guys have given me the assurance  and strongly believe I had make the right choice,  hurray....hurray...

Thanks all for the reply to my question as well. could have reply earlier in my office but for some reason which I do not know, my PC

in the office out of the blue just went dead, of all time it choose to act up on me at this moment while I am busy preparing to welcome

another top of the world scenery, Phwee.... take air,  you know what I mean (EUopenLC). What happen next is , spent the next forty or so minutes spring cleanning

the pc but that didn't bring any joy to me at all ,initially it take me to the bios page, prompt me to boot from recovery CD which I do not have,

switch off and turn on again, this time round, nothing on the screen, not about a loose cable, I checked, really , really at this point of time, I don't want to waste anymore time

on this so call my once faithful companion that has assist me all the way it could with my work and flightsim.  Conclusion,

I think  It's time to retire the PC   however  I must admit it is quite an old PC, a Compaq brand, HP bought over, correct me if I am wrong.  After this , going to head over to

Dell, to buy just a simple  CPU minus the monitor as existing Samsung is still going strong and healthy, touch wood...... That all for now.

Take care everyone out there..     ricky1088

Times like this are really tough, I feel for you Ricky1088 and hope you get going again without too much pain.

Seems we will have to wait at least another week. That's OK, I want it to be right. But boy I have been waiting for this a long time!

Can't wait to experiment and see if my long held UTX Europe can be replaced. (it has worked very well for me with the Global Textures). I have Global Mesh 2010 disks on order and it should be here in a few days.

Please hurry guys!

Hi Sabrina,

If flying just in the UK & Ireland select FTX Europe, but if flying in between those countries and Europe, select FTX Global. Because FTX Europe uses a different landclass lookup file, mainland Europe will have some issues if FTX Europe is selected. Remember that openLC is a Global addon and works with our regions, but only when Global is selected.

Thanks for clearing that up Ed. It seems to me that this is pretty confusing. Why not have FTXEngland/Scotland/Ireland show up as "UK" instead of "Europe" if the current "Europe" mode wont work properly with OpenLC Europe. Surely that makes more sense from a users perspective?

Why is there so much confusion about what to select in ftx central, we have our regions,  europe , north america etc,, and we have  global. You either select the region you want or , global if flying outside your regions.

Open lc is just the third layer of global so nothing has changed folks, region or global,  select hybrid if flying from one to the other.

Cheers Reg.

"For the best overall solution we recommend PILOT'S FSGlobal2010 mesh or at least a good mesh for all of Europe. This is also essential for the landclass to work with our lclookup.bgl mods to ensure crops and fields are correctly placed off steep hillsides, since the FSX engine determines slope calls based on the mesh resolution"

I asume PILOTS FSGlobal Ultimate Europe/africa will do as well ?

Just checking...

The confusion happens because it's getting more and more confusing about what you need to select in FTX Central, when you just want to fly...

Day or Night? FTX Global with or without Hybrid? What about trees and vector road lights? It's not as easy or intuitive as it should be.

Open LC EU (or FTX Global in FTX Central) is not Europe in FTX Central, which only covers the UK and Ireland.

Wills is right and OrbX should rename their full fat regions in FTX Central with the pending launch of a dedicated European texture and Landclass product.

As it is, you won't be able to fly from anywhere in mainland Europe to the UK without making a compromise... Do you want the new Open LC EU textures and Landclass or do you want 'Europe' because you can't have both.

Hybrid is also a compromise that doesn't give you the full experience.

The solution would be for OrbX to compile a definitive lclookup that includes all textures for all regions and all add-ons and do away with FTX Central.

OrbX should take some screenshots from the same viewpoint, to show the difference between all these options, especially the compromise that using Hybrid mode entails in a full fat region.

Why is there so much confusion about what to select in ftx central, we have our regions,  europe , north america etc,, and we have  global. You either select the region you want or , global if flying outside your regions.

Open lc is just the third layer of global so nothing has changed folks, region or global,  select hybrid if flying from one to the other.

Cheers Reg.

toby23, on 16 Jul 2014 - 1:10 PM, said:

The solution would be for OrbX to compile a definitive lclookup that includes all textures for all regions and all add-ons and do away with FTX Central.

It's certainly not as simple as this - otherwise ORBX would have done it a long time ago. As Holger has explained numerous times, there are inherent restrictions in the structure of the FSX (and P3D) lclookup, forbidding to just compile all landclass/texture definitions for the whole world at the same time. As far as I understand, it was just the very fact that ORBX circumvented these restrictions using the known switching mechanism allowing them to make the variety of landscapes we're enjoying now.

So, there's obviously no simple short-term solution in sight. This said, I'd highly encourage ORBX to research alternatives over the longer run. Things are indeed getting more and more confusing, at least for the beginner. Plus, nearly everyone here knows the darn feeling to just detect the wrong region was selected previously after having the simulator up and running.

Kind regards, Michael

Don't make things complicated :)

FTX Regions:

Oceania (Australia/NZ)

North America (USA/Canada)

Europe (UK/Ireland, Norway etc)

Everything else is:

FTX Global

OpenLC is part of FTX Global and is the first of seven openLC addons. Just leave things set to FTX Global in FTX Central and go fly.

If crossing into an FTX region, don't do anything to start with other than select Hybrid mode. If you see artefacts then activate the FTX region you're flying in.

Simple eh?

JV,

Unfortunately, you are still saying that things are simple, and some of your (potential) customers are saying it's anything but.

I am still looking for an idiot-proof explanation of which products to purchase, and when.

I hope that help is at hand ??? A route map may help.

Many thanks for all your efforts,

Cheers, Richard (not idiot-proof)

Dear Richard

In the first posting in this thred it should be very clear.

You MUST have FTX Global installed

You should have FTX Global VECTOR

You should have PILOT´S FSGlobal 2010 (I use FSGlobal Ultimate)

You MUST have Orbslibs the one that will be released AFTER OpenLC Europe is released.

Install them in this order!! Where is the problem?  ::)

Jack

the Swede in Spain

It is simple. People need to stop over thinking things, especially before a product is even released.

As for a product route map and how they all fit and work together, we published a clearly written and easy to follow guide last year.

It's easy to find, just look at the pinned topics in General Discussion :)

Don't make things complicated :)

FTX Regions:

Oceania (Australia/NZ)

North America (USA/Canada)

Europe (UK/Ireland, Norway etc)

Everything else is:

FTX Global

OpenLC is part of FTX Global and is the first of seven openLC addons. Just leave things set to FTX Global in FTX Central and go fly.

If crossing into an FTX region, don't do anything to start with other than select Hybrid mode. If you see artefacts then activate the FTX region you're flying in.

Simple eh?

So if your flight is part full fat region and part global (i.e England to Germany) we should always be in Global (hybrid mode) ?

Therefore the only time you would have something OTHER than global is if your entire flight is taking place wholly within a full fat region, yes?

Thanks for clarifying.

Hi Richard,

FTX Global BASE = Essential texture set that replaces default ground and building textures, includes streetlights at night (similar to Ground Environment X series)

FTX Global Vector = Detailed coastlines, rivers and lakes and accurate street and motorway layout (similar to Ultimate Terrain series, also called FS Global Vector)

FS Global 2010 FTX Compatible = Terrain mesh updated specifically for use with FTX (similar to FSGenesis mesh)

FTX Open LC = Landclass that depicts which textures show where plus new regional textures (similar to Scenery Tech Landclass series but also includes textures)

FTX England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and Northern Ireland = Stand alone so called 'full-fat' regions that require none of the above and include their own mesh, vector data, textures, updated airports, landclass and custom objects.

Hope this helps.

JV,

Unfortunately, you are still saying that things are simple, and some of your (potential) customers are saying it's anything but.

I am still looking for an idiot-proof explanation of which products to purchase, and when.

I hope that help is at hand ??? A route map may help.

Many thanks for all your efforts,

Cheers, Richard (not idiot-proof)

It's certainly not as simple as this - otherwise ORBX would have done it a long time ago. As Holger has explained numerous times, there are inherent restrictions in the structure of the FSX (and P3D) lclookup, forbidding to just compile all landclass/texture definitions for the whole world at the same time. As far as I understand, it was just the very fact that ORBX circumvented these restrictions using the known switching mechanism allowing them to make the variety of landscapes we're enjoying now.

So, there's obviously no simple short-term solution in sight. This said, I'd highly encourage ORBX to research alternatives over the longer run. Things are indeed getting more and more confusing, at least for the beginner. Plus, nearly everyone here knows the darn feeling to just detect the wrong region was selected previously after having the simulator up and running.

Kind regards, Michael

Me too >:(

Isn't it going to be released soon as the final screenshots were posted yesterday? Could we at least get some kind of timeframe? Like some hours, tomorrow, weekend or next week.. Would prevent people like us who are eagerly waiting to rape their F5 button and constantly checking every possible topic/site/shop.. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I have FTX, but honestly have no intention of buying Vector. However, I would be interested in LC EU. Are there screen shots that show a comparison with and without Vector as the intermediate package between FTX and LC. If possible, please post here or direct me to them so that I can make a visual comparison in re whether I want to go ahead with LC purchase, even without Vectors. Thanks.

Sherm

NO.

If you wish to purchase OpenLC, You NEED FTX Global first.

You do not NEED either FTX Vector or PILOT'S FSGlobal2010 mesh

although both will greatly enhance your experience. 

@ Sherm, I suggest you take a look at the screenshots forum.

Hi All. I bought and installed ELC without any difficulty. As I wrote above, I do not have Vectors, but things still look great and I am very happy with this product. I am eagerly awaiting North American LC....

Sherm

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All I to have all vector and ELC. Europe has never looked better.

I was checking out an old stomping ground in northern Germany and was surprised to see that half the town was missing. The rivers, roads and railways were excellent. The town had just shrunk by half. see below. 

mM0pDt4.jpg

heBL181.jpg

Archived