This Week's Meaningless Topic (#111) (Oct 21)

Hi all. Many of us have been with flight simulation since its early days. Over the years, thanks to many talented payware and freeware developers, we have flown pretty much every type and model of aircraft there is. When Orbx began to offer enhanced scenery, it got even better. Nothing like a toddle in the early bi-planes, or tri-motors, or sleek warbirds, or modern commercial jets, or private puddle-jumpers, or...  This week's topic asks you to draw upon your experience and flying habits to highlight some great planes (all screenshots, except the last, are from FSX). It's all subjective, so of course there are no right answers. Except mine ;).

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  The planes shown below are all classics. Which ones suit you best?

1. Boeing 737 Captain Sim – Boeing 737-100 Expansion Model for FSX and Prepar3D  OR  Airbus 320  FSX Airbus A320 Air France - Microsoft Flight Simulator X Mod

2. Cessna 185 image.jpeg.6f01cbc0fa1fb73f860f38e7366f118f.jpeg  OR Piper PA28   Microsoft Flight Simulator - Piper PA-28 Arrow III Announced by Carenado;  Msembe Airport Free Only For Today

3. ATR 72  Virtualcol Freeware - ATR 72 Series for FSX/P3D  OR Bombardier Q400   Majestic Software - Dash 8 Q400 PRO Edition for FSX/P3D V3 | Aerosoft US  Shop

4. Cessna Citation X AVSIM LibraryOR Dassault Falcon Dassault Aviation Falcon 7X | Aerosoft US Shop

5. Pilatus PC-6  PC-6 for FSX Steam Edition  OR Cessna Caravan   FSX Steam Edition: Cessna® C208B Grand Caravan® EX Add-On (App 915630) ·  SteamDB

6. Piper Super Cub  AVSIM Library  OR Aviat Husky   image.jpeg.cb19bbbc89bbd4fbc0aa81bddcd74638.jpeg

7. Affordable AltraMax for FSX and P3D - DOWNLOAD  OR "Dream on"  The Jumbo Jets Boeing and Airbus Turn Into Posh Private Planes | WIRED

Edited by Rodger Pettichord
Reset photos
  • Like 8

"Dream on" as a first choice. Because I always keep chasing that dream of the most real flight sim experience possible :)

Otherwise, a Piper PA28 as I spend most of my time at low level in VFR.

Not on the list is the Supermarine Spitfire which is the one aircraft that I search out and purchase with every new sim.   

• Upvote 1

oh this is hard, most flights I will have done in sim world would probably be the A320, really like the plane and have learnt quite a bit about it, I spent a lot of time doing courier deliveries into BAE Filton in the 90's...

I also really like the IXEG 737 in Xplane, waiting for that to come to v12.....

finally, I always wanted an ATR in any sim, but never got one, any suggestions?

I think a lot depends on my mood and my spare time, I know I can set up the A320 and get airborne quickly so that's my favourite - though to check out scenery the Cub...

Love the Porter but struggle with that rear wheel...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pukcip said:

737 over anything Airbus (every day of the week and twice on Sunday)

C185 over PA28

Q400 over ATR

Cessna Citation X over Falcon

Cessna Caravan over PC-6

Super Cub over Husky

And as it's a sim... Dream on!

you're the first person to answer this correctly, I feel such a donut now...:D

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

1) Can't decide...I fly them both pretty equally. 

2) Cessna 185, although still waiting for a more complex developed one for MSFS

3) Neither, I'll walk

4) Citation X

5) Cessna Caravan

6) Piper Cub

7) Dream On baby!

• Upvote 1

1. Boeing 737. I am a native of Washington State, Boeing's home. Bill Boeing was the state's friendly uncle.

2. Cessna 185. I like the high wing so I can see what I'm about to hit.

3. Q400. First plane I wanted as an add-on way back when. Plus I'm a deHavilland fan all the way.

4. Cessna Citation X. Its design was based on a fighter plane. Gotta be one of the coolest-looking planes ever.

5. Pilatus PC-6. Like its CIA handlers used to say "Anything, Anywhere, Anytime." Remarkably versatile airplane.

6. Piper Super Cub. Plenty of power and very reliable. The Alaskan bush-pilots' gold standard.

7. Dream on. Specifically, the $600,000,000 Airbus A380 built for the Saudi Arabian prince.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1. Neither.  Only airliner I've flown (successfully) is another classic, the Lockheed L188 Electra.  Not interested now; there's a reason there's a mandatory retirement age.

2. I'll go with the Piper PA 28, though the Cessna 180 line is great too.  I used the 182RG for years.  I've come to prefer the low wing.

3. Neither.  If I'm going to fly a twin turboprop it will be one of the older King Airs.

4. Don't know either, really.  I did fly the Lockheed jet star a bit, so that would be my choice for  GA jet.

5. Not enthusiastic about either.

6. I'll go with the Cub, thought the Husky is tempting too.

7.  Hmmm?  I think I'll pass.  Choice A would likely get me a divorce on cruelty to my spouse charges, and B, if we're talking about ownership, I have more humble, though no more affordable preferences (A REAL Mooney).

Ken

Edited by Ken Q
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 - 737

2 - I'll take either one depending on the type of flying I'm doing

3 -: Not interested 

4 - If I had to probably the Falcon 

5- Either or depending on the type of flying 

6 - Probably the Husky 

7- Stay at home and do some beer drinking

That's my final answers for what it's worth. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

737 (I fly her low and "slowish" through out Alaska) since you didn't list my C47 Rodger. I just wished I could have the interior of the "dream on" ( our Hilda don't look anything like that air maiden in your picture) but with my crew and when I think about our passengers who are on a "no fly list", that table cloth and crystal glassware wouldn't survive take off, so that's not possible.:unsure: :P:D

• Haha 3

in real life - it has to be the PA 28 Arrow because i have many hours logged in one - and in variations - including my avatar --  PA32

and I have to add the 737 - because it looks like the original that i spent many hours travelling in one in various countries -

of Oceana and SE Asia in the early 70s

However - in the world of simulation it has to be the Dassault Falcon 50 from both Carenado and Flysim - and waiting patiently

either company to do one for the MS variety - but until then i will Sim with pA28 now and then for old time's sake

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1