This Week's Meaningless Topic (#82) (Apr 2)

Hi all. The modern set of flight simulation programs is amazing. MSFS 2020 has superb scenery and weather. X-Plane has wonderfully accurate flight dynamics. P3D allows for an extensive library of planes. Aerofly is coming along well. Even good old FSX-Steam still holds its own. Each of us has chosen the program best for us, and from it we derive great pleasure. So let's celebrate our flight pleasures this week.

THIS WEEK'S MEANINGLESS TOPIC:  Which flight program do you use, and what do you like best about it? [NOTE: this is not an invitation to argue about the programs but just a chance to celebrate yours.]

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I mainly use MSFS with a side pf P3Dv5.3. I enjoy both of those sims. The overall scenery and weather depiction in MSFS is the major draw for me with that sim. In P3Dv5.3, the major draw is the amount of airports and aircraft that I already owned before MSFS came out that I still love (mainly A2A aircraft) and so many of the smaller GA Orbx airfields. BOTH sims are running SUPER smooth on my system, and I can ratchet up the settings in BOTH sims and still have smooth, enjoyable flights without issue. :) 

Landon

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

I just upgraded from FSX to P3D v. 5.  I also just got a new Jetline computer to run it.  I'll be adding additional monitors to my cockpit and will use my old Jetline computer as the client in a network.

I'm happy with the performance of P3D on the new computer with all of the Orbx scenery.  With FSX I'd run into memory issues around LAX.  Now I don't have these problems, so I can do the "I-Ratings" on PilotEdge

Ken

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

I'm still a FSX dinosaur which runs on my relatively modest PC at 60FPS with mainly maxed sliders in most areas except large cities with lots of AI where it drops to 22-25 FPS.  I rarely have OOMs which I know how to avoid with slider and AI adjustments.  I have heaps of excellent aircraft that I have modified to POH and engineering manuals as far as possible, quite a few of which I helped beta test.  I have all the excellent Orbx scenery I want in conjunction with my beloved OZx and other fine freeware scenery, some of which I helped design and/or beta test.  So I'm on a good thing and I stick to it :D

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

I see & like the magnificient, not to say fascinating ground pictures of MSFS. But I still enjoy the full ecosystem of my P3D, with all these (Orbx-made!) sceneries, PeopleFlow, high-level planes, GSX, ActiveSky, EZCA, OZx and the like.

However, once MSFS closes all these gaps, I will consider buying it. And a new PC. And all the required add-ons to get back into the full virtual world as I have it now. Don´t tell my wife...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 4

I am enjoying the newish world of MSFS, absolutely stunning looking sim but awaiting some great tubes to fly, I also still really like flying Xplane 11 with the many addons that I have built up over time....I did have p3dv5 installed but needed to free up space and format the drive it was on, needed to move Steam and just haven't got around to reinstalling, I probably won't if I am honest...

I am also looking forward to Xplane 12 whenever that comes along.......and as that matures I will probably wave goodbye to version 11...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

MSFS for 80% - for all my VFR and getting used to business small tubes  -and easy Flight planning in the sim itself combined  with Little map 

and the prolific quality freeware liveries and airports -(I mean for e.g. - look at Duxford and Gatwick etc in the UK)

P3D V4 for 15% because of my Library of Old versions of aircraft of my time and Orbx World investment - and my A2A aircraft esp my Comanche

Could never get used to V5 and if I ever need the space -out it goes 

Xp11 to use my twin Comanche and my avatur PA 32 - but keeping my eye on version 12 because  I am starting to like the larger tubes in msfs

and maybe try them in xp but they only seem to push the weather

Edited by John Heaton
  • Like 4

MSFS for the sheer brilliance of the virtual world. There will never be enough hours in the day to explore the diversity of the geographical world. That said, I do miss P3D's simple tubeliners. I'm too time poor to learn SIDs and STARS, and programming FMC's. I enjoyed followong ATC, looking up an ILS frequency and course, setting them and watching the aircraft capture the localiser. Something I havn't been able to replicate with tubes in MSFS with regular success. My plan/hope is to retire in 4 or 5 years and really sink myself into some study level aircraft. The BAe146 has caught my eye :)

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

I've always viewed purchases of sim add-ons as their equivalency to the price of a carton of beer - most are less than a carton and some a bit more - BUT the use and enjoyment of a sim add-on (aircraft or scenery) vastly outlasts any carton I've ever bought B)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

P3D v5.  For four reasons.

1) A2A

2) PMDG

3) Orbx scenery (way too much invested in Orbx)

4) So many excellent opportunities for comic backgrounds.

May get MSFS in the future when PMDG has its bugs worked out and hopefully A2A will have their planes in it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1