CAE3 Campbell River Water Aerodrome Freeware Coming Soon!

CAE3 Campbell River Water Aerodrome is coming to Prepar3D v3 & v4!

So... you have been to CAC8, CAX6, CAG8 and YRC; where to next? How about Campbell River Water Aerodrome and the city of Campbell River BC? 

CAE3 Campbell River Water Aerodrome was said to be the busiest seaplane base in the world during the 1970’s. It’s not so busy now but instead has the character that no polished facility can match.  No PA system with that well modulated voice you can’t understand. A look at the odds and ends on the seaplane docks tells you that it’s a working SPB. 

CAE3 is located on Tyee Spit at the mouth of Campbell River just north of the centre of the city by the same name.  It is the home of Corilair,  Grizzly Helicopters,Vancouver Island Air and  West Coast Helicopters .  Campbell River, the “Salmon Fishing Capital of the World” and in particular Tyee Spit are famous for the salmon fishing.   At Tyee Pool the fishing is done from rowboats which you will find modeled in the scenery. The city of Campbell River lies at the junction of the more populated southern part of Vancouver Island and the mostly undeveloped northern half. It has the feeling of a little bit of both.

Key Features

• All of Tyee Spit as a large model, including Corilair, Grizzly Helicopters, Vancouver Island Air, West Coast Helicopters, associated docks and other buildings.

• The city of Campbell River

• North Campbell River

• Nystar buildings and dock with detailed static ship Ocean Wind

• John Hart Generating Station

• Five Campbell River marinas with custom boats

• Campbell River ferry terminal

• Quathiaski Cove ferry terminal 

• Cape Mudge Lighthouse and grounds

• April Point Marina and Spa, with helipad

• The AI cruise ship Norwegian Jewel going from the Campbell River Cruise Ship Terminal to Victoria BC and back.

• The AI boat CCGS Cape Palmerston attending a sailboat aground

• An AI Ranger 29 powerboat that crosses Discovery Passage

• Models of Whitehall rowboats used for salmon fishing around Tyee Spit

• A couple of ‘Extras’ to amuse you

• Developed by @Larry_R

And now what you really want to see - the screenshots by Larry and Emmsie:

63-d9274c3808c3c0394078552dba826139.jpg

63-0bf94946a8542f803bcb8932e0c4e97e.jpg

63-1d95e70930af1bc7ea3796deb9ae38aa.jpg

63-35bfc211fb75de3f3eb035b9f7964462.jpg

63-ad28aceae6dc6da8fc477283ab388701.jpg

63-5845f1b90e4e43ed70bf0c5bed8e0b43.jpg

63-1b64737f8d0c1fb848851f2a0bd80541.jpg

63-5e7ae03be654b6e7ff6a954e16c1239b.jpg

63-fa10a3e618046f0f483e9a3fd1e4b96a.jpg

63-50b1b5a5431c82ddee17016e9a6c2727.jpg

63-c9991874420cfff80ea1a8d7ff5caa9c.jpg

63-c17b09af79e6c548418632cab73d286b.jpg

63-0b9a744f8425eb6b8da835061a1d19de.jpg

63-46e4b950b5074494f382ee65d54fea58.jpg

63-e22c564f3f6cfe2be3d91e2f667d30f2.jpg

63-b1c9f760655c3bc1e9590b4f1d6f5b21.jpg

63-fb78c810a0e086541b50330d3cee1099.jpg

63-cc6f41acf28faa474695b5c9ac65d4be.jpg

63-8abd4d9a9c5f6c8d9889c7ceafa3822a.jpg

69-c7bf684e3da8311a455c798ba1cdd27b.jpg

69-a09dce8c14bba5fdf25b5e0d052afa0a.jpg

69-2f51fcfee49b7958a3f50d83ce033d04.jpg

69-1af6a2c9529f82b06b600783f417b8d2.jpg

69-ded25f6085ac344917a46fe236372957.jpg

69-c5786bc86536e26142df9e039b75470a.jpg

3 minutes ago, prostock said:

Is this going to work in FSX as well?   Disappointment if not.  It's a shame no more ORBX Scenery will be made for FSX.  The fan base is still HUGE.  Thank you

Larry's other freeware scenery's worked in FSX , I would be surprised if this new one did not .

John

5 minutes ago, Sibbritt said:

Say what ???

When did Orbx announce there would be no more scenery for FSX.

Its the only sim I use & I have no intention of ever changing.

FSX works just great for me & I've spent too much time & money to start again.

I listened in on one of their live video feeds on FB a couple months back & they said they would be cutting support & development on FSX products.  Unless they've had a change of heart, I haven't heard anything.  I've spent a bundle on ORBX & my sim as well.  It would be a shame if they gave up on FSX

28 minutes ago, prostock said:

Is this going to work in FSX as well?   Disappointment if not.  It's a shame no more ORBX Scenery will be made for FSX.  The fan base is still HUGE.  Thank you

Hello,

this is for P3D v3 and v4 only, as stated.

While this product is not for FSX, it is going too far to state "no more ORBX Scenery will be made for FSX".

2 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

this is for P3D v3 and v4 only, as stated.

While this product is not for FSX, it is going too far to state "no more ORBX Scenery will be made for FSX".

Ah very good Nick - Maybe I misunderstood the conversation during the live stream.  Hope it's not true.  Thank you

:o...............how is this freeware?

All of these freeware seaplane bases are absolutely brilliant! The time and effort put into this, and then to release them as freeware boggles my mind!

What a beauty this one is too!!

Will the freeware “Stuff4FS Campbell River” play nice with this new Campbell River SPB scenery?

3 hours ago, Sibbritt said:

Say what ???

When did Orbx announce there would be no more scenery for FSX.

Its the only sim I use & I have no intention of ever changing.

FSX works just great for me & I've spent too much time & money to start again.

First, this is freeware so the developer is not obliged to cater to anyone's specific needs or expectations. He does it in his free time because he enjoys it and if he decides to share his scenery with other people it's totally up to him in which way or for what platform. If he himself uses Prepar3d as his simulator of choice it seems logical to develop for P3D 

Second, the Prepar3d SDK offers possibilities for modeling and texturing FSX simply doesn't have. Most developers would like to have their vision look as good as possible and P3D has options to improve the appearance of the scenery that are not available nor backwards compatible with FSX. Converting for FSX would be an additional time consuming effort and probably just a tedious, not at all fun task. A Payware developer might choose to invest the time of converting his product for as many platforms as possible to increase sales. A freeware developer has nothing to gain from this and probably wants to spend his precious free time on flying or developing a new scenery which is probably way more fun than porting old stuff. Just my two cents. 

6 hours ago, Ziggy said:

What a beauty this one is too!!

Will the freeware “Stuff4FS Campbell River” play nice with this new Campbell River SPB scenery?

Thanks Ziggy,

The PR for CAE3 does not include CYBL so unless Don's version extends well beyond the airport itself there should be no problem.  There will however be a problem at Cape Mudge if you use a PNW lighthouse package that places a lighthouse there. The same problem will occur at the Merry Island lighthouse that is part of CAG8. I'll try to describe the solution in the compatibility forum when the time comes. 

Oh, yes, the time and effort: a year for this one.

3 hours ago, Larry_R said:

Thanks Ziggy,

The PR for CAE3 does not include CYBL so unless Don's version extends well beyond the airport itself there should be no problem.  There will however be a problem at Cape Mudge if you use a PNW lighthouse package that places a lighthouse there. The same problem will occur at the Merry Island lighthouse that is part of CAG8. I'll try to describe the solution in the compatibility forum when the time comes. 

Oh, yes, the time and effort: a year for this one.

Thank you Larry! The time you’ve put into these sceneries is so so very much appreciated!

ORBX PNW and Your Freeware Sceneries Together with RTMM, Vic + and the spots that Don G. (Stuff4FS) has done, make the Vancouver Island area by far the best place to fly in P3D V4!

Really can’t thank you enough for all you’ve done.

Cheers! :D

Larry, you are one heck of a talented developer sir! You picked a gorgeous location to surprise all of us flight simmers with this seaport! To work on a project for a year and then generously share your hard work says volumes about your character; Thank You Sir, your work is excellent and I am sure all simmers out there agree. Lastly, you could have charged for this scenery and you did not, I think Santa Claus may just be real and the community just had Christmas in April; lol!  Thank you again!

This scenery is a must have regardless of payware or freeware!  LarryR has done so many great projects for use for free (plus the Angelfish and other boats) Thank You just doesn't seem enough, but I do want to add mine to the many others! :wub::D:wub:

Hi folks,

I hesitate to say this;  with my previous release announcements I really can't remember any negative comments at all.  I find the ones here discouraging, especially for someone like me who does only freeware for my own reasons. If by chance  they were not aimed directly at me, perhaps they could be posted in another thread where they could be debated and would not detract from what I had hoped would be a happy announcement.

Larry

18 minutes ago, Larry_R said:

Hi folks,

I hesitate to say this;  with my previous release announcements I really can't remember any negative comments at all.  I find the ones here discouraging, especially for someone like me who does only freeware for my own reasons. If by chance  they were not aimed directly at me, perhaps they could be posted in another thread where they could be debated and would not detract from what I had hoped would be a happy announcement.

Larry

Yes Larry I agree wholeheartedly. 

The Africa LC comments don't belong here and IMHO should be removed by a moderator.

For those who are sticking with FSX:  Your sim works exactly as it always has.  If you choose to stick with it, just continue to enjoy the scenery that works with it but don't expect developers to downgrade their products to accommodate your choice. 

Archived