SOMETHING DIFFERENT #7 : Following von Humboldt & Bonpland in 1799/1801 - Part 1 Spain to Trinidad

jean marc

INTRODUCTION

Let's go to the New World, following the path of Alexander von Humboldt and Aimé Bonpland

We will board the corvette Pizarro in Spain, in June 1799, to reach the coast of Nueva Andalucia (at present Venezuela) after a stop in the Canary Islands

We will travel by horseback or on foot, by boat or dugout canoe (or tricking a bit and using vintage planes as required here) over the plains of Venezuela, up down the Apure, Orinoco and Rio Negro rivers

That will see the life in the Spanish Colonies of the 18th century, we will see hundreds of new species of birds, animals and plants that our 2 great pioneering naturalist and explorers have noticed in their narrative books, and we will be among the natives of the deep and remote jungle, avoiding jaguars and snakes if possible...

For a few days, we will be separate from our 2 famous travellers to fly to the Lost World in the Grant Savana, looking for Conan Doyle's memories

And finally, we will continue the American Expedition of Humboldt and Bonpland by the sea again to land at Carthagena de India (Colombia), to walk through the Andes along mountains valley, passes and volcanos...

That means a lot of shots in several posts...:rollmyeyes: 

PS : text on the shots will be extracts from "Personal Narrative of a Journey to the Equinoctial Regions of the New Continent" by A. Von Humboldt ...

cxmlDTj.jpg

("Bethia" ship from "HMSbounty fsx" package) (FTX Global + Open LC South America : Cumana area on Northern Venezuela)

YqoCOkj.jpg

XyEDsIf.jpg

("Ryan B-5 Brougham" by GAS) (FTX Global + Open LC South America : Amazonian forest in Venezuela near San Pedro de Rio Negro)

RdeqcAX.jpg

(Hawker Fury Mk1 from "Hawker Heroes" by FCS)

n99B2NB.jpg
(Fairchild 24R by LH) (TD Terra Flora trees addon)

iX3ohTB.jpg

mnoruII.jpg
(pilotable Ford T - thanks to Rodger !! - from "FSX Project Curtiss Jenny Series" by Dirk Stuck)

5ptDH8i.jpg

aHWG0TP.jpg

5uhYnEe.jpg

Fmd8l2H.jpg

An4msnk.jpg

BJ0yJSx.jpg

OtPkPhy.jpg

aOJDCpo.jpg

PART 1 : SPAIN TO TRINIDAD 

Departure from Spain and sea-crossing

On the 5th of June 1799, we are leaving La Corunna to the Southern America Spanish Colonies, crossing the sea on the corvette Pizarro to reach, after 41 days at sea, the coast of Nueva Andalucia...

"In a few hours we sail round the cape Finisterre. I shall collect plants and fossils and make astronomic observation. But that is not the main purpose of my expedition. I shall try to find out how the forces of nature interact upon one another and how the geographic environment influences plant and animal life. I must find out about the unity of nature." 

bFMsc7X.jpg

zsawxtv.jpg

bFk9NXH.jpg

ZPKBInp.jpg

rr6oCdM.jpg

gfInbCN.jpg

Tenerife : to the top of the Pico de Teide

xzmJ5E4.jpg

rkttGMM.jpg

rhBVgEf.jpg

ChsycHE.jpg

6Uil55O.jpg
("Schooner Bluenose" FSX addon in P3d4)

VFIHlXW.jpg

8GO80Qt.jpg

hgKGIDF.jpg

y8viPlE.jpg
(Curtiss Hawk P-36 VS)

txc4xS9.jpg

byau9eW.jpg
(Stampe SV-4B GAS) (also for Volcano detailsCanary islands Rikkoo's freeware addon into Orbx Global + FTX LC)

ZVCOfTm.jpg

AfKRcqE.jpg

MYVFotm.jpg

Leaving Canary Islands : ocean crossing to Southern America New Continent

etzgrPd.jpg

KIxLpYl.jpg

4VbIrAl.jpg

Please see nextly PART 2 :  Along the Coast of Nueva Andalucia (NORTHERN VENEZUELA),  ... PART 3 through the savannah (Los Llanos),  ... PART 4 Descending the Rio Apure, Rio Orinico and Rio Negro........ through Amazonia jungle...Andes mountains... upto Ecuador at the end !! ... a very long travel through the New Continent in 1799-1801

Hoping you will like the post ...  Do not hesitate to leave a message it is encouraging :)

Wow what fantastic bit of work you have put into this Jean so interesting and love all the screen shots and it must of taken you days to get this all together i am just blown away

with all the history that you have included and all the things about wildlife just fantastic well done my friend regards EMM 

Jean Marc, I'm most impressed by your work! Not only must it have taken days to put this together, but none of this would have been possible wihout your exorbitant level of education on all these things of (natural) history. Most of your sailship screens are outright beautiful. And, of course, the collections...

I have two things to remark: In picture #34, the circular structure in black lava soil, this is viniculture on Lanzarote. And in picture #37, the one right of Cook, is this Frederick II. the Great?

Awesome, lovingly done posting, Jean Marc!

I have been to Tenerife twice, and once I visited the caldera of the Teide. I can only recommend it to everyone, the otherwordly beauty of this place is incredibe.

#32, bottom left: is this the famous dragon tree of Icod de los Vinos? I yes, then I have been there and seen it.

#26: the famous balconies of La Orotava?

3 hours ago, European Mountain Man said:

Wow what fantastic bit of work you have put into this Jean so interesting and love all the screen shots and it must of taken you days to get this all together i am just blown away

with all the history that you have included and all the things about wildlife just fantastic well done my friend regards EMM

thank you very much ERM.

I started to read a lot about AvH during Christmas Holydays...and collected all the pictures since December...therefore 2 months 2 or 3 evenings a week ...:rolleyes: 

but this is for a total story of about 240 screenshots almost ready at present...which will arrive - not too quickly and in several post to not be too long :P

3 hours ago, JMBIII said:

Hot dog ! Another history story line post !  Most educational !

thank you JMB ... plenty of ships you should love ?

"hot dog !" ah ah I didn't know this expression with my poor English "Surfers adopted it from the use of the noun hot dog for someone who is very good at something" - You are very kind !

3 hours ago, BradB said:

Best post of 2019 and the winner is : Jean Marc . It will be hard to top this doozie !! .

And you will see nextly the screenshots of amazonia : wonderful photos of native people to discover ! (they are not mine but from the huge & fantastic collection of the web)  :P

But you are too kind John !

37 minutes ago, Captain Lars said:

I have two things to remark: In picture #34, the circular structure in black lava soil, this is viniculture on Lanzarote. And in picture #37, the one right of Cook, is this Frederick II. the Great?

Thank you Lars for your wonderful comment.

I didn't know the function of the circular forms of #34 and I love to learn it as I am a wine lover :P The Pizarro ship stopped at Lanzarote before to go to Tenerife (main harbour) to check the absence of British navy ships around...certainly such forms therefore did not exist when AdH stopped bythere and so it would be an "historical" mistake -_- :)

On #37, you are right it is the Grand Frederick II : Humboldt's father was superior officer and fight for him during the 7 years war. If I remember rightly he was also chambellan of the King (as Alexander later, to earn money after he spent much of its fortune to realize its scientific expeditions (5 years) and to edite his several books with rich illustrations...)

Only the whale is an alien relatively to AvH on this shot :P

15 minutes ago, jean marc said:

Thank you Lars for your wonderful comment.

I didn't know the function of the circular forms of #34 and I love to learn it as I am a wine lover :P The Pizarro ship stopped at Lanzarote before to go to Tenerife (main harbour) to check the absence of British navy ships around...certainly such forms therefore did not exist when AdH stopped bythere and so it would be an "historical" mistake -_- :)

On #37, you are right it is the Grand Frederick II : Humboldt's father was superior officer and fight for him during the 7 years war. If I remember rightly he was also chambellan of the King (as Alexander later, to earn money after he spent much of its fortune to realize its scientific expeditions (5 years) and to edite his several books with rich illustrations...)

Only the whale is an alien relatively to AvH on this shot :P

You really thought of everything!

1 hour ago, Captain Lars said:

I have been to Tenerife twice, and once I visited the caldera of the Teide. I can only recommend it to everyone, the otherwordly beauty of this place is incredibe.

#32, bottom left: is this the famous dragon tree of Icod de los Vinos? I yes, then I have been there and seen it.

#26: the famous balconies of La Orotava?

The Rickoo's free addon of the Canary Islands is wonderful for the geogical accuracy and all the villages and hills details  - you would love it (in a small airplane at low speed... or crossing at medium altitude with one big jet that you love - but not too quickly then :))

#32 dragon tree yes but I do not know from which accurate location - I love this name but it should be more 'snake tree" I think it is due to the tortuous shape of the arms

#27 yes exactly; Alexander von Humboldt did not mention this wonderful historical house in its narratives despite he surely has seen it because he spent time in the city before to climb the Teide. Same for famous building later in Caracas, Carthagena or Quito : it seems he was less sensitive to present buildings...

I seem to have broken my XP11 installation recently - so can't post any screenshots of my own yet!

Until such time as I can get my hardware/software issues sorted, I am happy to see the amazing images posted on this forum that I have only just discovered.

This is my first post. I just had to sign up to compliment Jean Marc:

Beautiful artwork with great narration and a history that was new to me.

Superb work and can't wait for the next episode.

Hopefully I can soon resolve my issues and get airborne again and post an image of my own - not going to be in this league though!

Chris

8 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Jean Marc you are a genius!  This was not only interesting but so well presented!

I am happy you liked the story Jack - about the genius, the real one are on screenshots #37 :lol: (nb e.g. Alexander von Humboldt in on the 5 DM note)

8 hours ago, Pinza said:

This is my first post. I just had to sign up to compliment Jean Marc:

Beautiful artwork with great narration and a history that was new to me.

Superb work and can't wait for the next episode.

Thank you very much Pinza - I am very honored to be the subject of your first post -_-

Welcome !! You will see a lot of wonderful posts and amazing shots so many times. Do not hesitate to post yourself :)

23 hours ago, jean marc said:

Let's go to the New World, following the path of Alexander von Humboldt and Aimé Bonpland

We will board the corvette Pizarro in Spain, in June 1799, to reach the coast of Nueva Andalucia (at present Venezuela) after a stop in the Canary Islands

We will travel by horseback or on foot, by boat or dugout canoe (or tricking a bit and using vintage planes as required here) over the plains of Venezuela, up down the Apure, Orinoco and Rio Negro rivers

That will see the life in the Spanish Colonies of the 18th century, we will see hundreds of new species of birds, animals and plants that our 2 great pioneering naturalist and explorers have noticed in their narrative books, and we will be among the natives of the deep and remote jungle, avoiding jaguars and snakes if possible...

For a few days, we will be separate from our 2 famous travellers to fly to the Lost World in the Grant Savana, looking for Conan Doyle's memories

And finally, we will continue the American Expedition of Humboldt and Bonpland by the sea again to land at Carthagena de India (Colombia), to walk through the Andes along mountains valley, passes and volcanos...

That sounds like a thrilling series of travel reports to come. I like that & look forward to it, Jean Marc!

A fantastic collection of vehicles, sceneries and screenshots. Some have incredible light. And your real-life additions turn them into somethings special!

PS: Is your Tenerife purely FTX Global or is there a (photoreal) addition?

On 2/3/2019 at 3:17 PM, Stillwater said:

That sounds like a thrilling series of travel reports to come. I like that & look forward to it, Jean Marc!

A fantastic collection of vehicles, sceneries and screenshots. Some have incredible light. And your real-life additions turn them into somethings special!

PS: Is your Tenerife purely FTX Global or is there a (photoreal) addition?

Thank you Gerold :) I tried to use only old planes but of course none is as old as von Humboldt time :P

For Tenerife, I add (up ftx scenery layers) the freeware addon from Rikkooo (https://www.rikoooo.com/fr/) - where you could find also the 18th century ship Bethia (from Bounty package) 

18 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

jean marc -- what a fabulous (literally) trip! So much to learn and see, all so well presented. This ought to be in a classroom somewhere! And by the way, I did notice that tghe U.S. Mail truck made it down there to become the Chocolate Express. Great re-purposing! :lol:

thank you Rodger.  oh yes would why not in a classroom :)

"Ford-T chocolate delivery" surely - "express" not sure in this area :P

18 hours ago, Aussieflyer38 said:

Jean Marc, this is brilliant and so interesting, and so much work, a labour of love obviously. Congratulations.

Don

thank you very much Don

beautiful pictures available on the net :) Amazing also so much  information about Humboldt & Bonpland (who is less famous but a very nice man and great botanist)

OMG Jean Marc!

This is so well done :)

I can't wait  for the rest of the series!

I can only imagine how much time, effort and research you put into doing this.  And the screenshots are so incredibly good and perfectly appropriate for the content!

Thank you for such a great story and adventure :)

Cheers

R

14 hours ago, renault said:

I can't wait  for the rest of the series!

thank you very much Renault - I am very glad you like it ... The next parts have been prepared at the same time so there will be put quite soon :)

14 hours ago, renault said:

Thank you for such a great story and adventure :)

don't miss the part 4 about Amazonia it is my favorite :P (but as your own children i love all of them :lol:)

14 hours ago, flsm (Frank) said:

Lots of great pics and interesting history here.  Cheers.

Thank you Frank

the difficulty was to be not too long (at least I tried :P) as there are so many to tell about this expedition and about the 2 scientist-explorers (AvH has written a lot about it)

12 hours ago, adambar said:

Another magnificent piece of work my friend!!!! :)

many thanks Adam...not so hard to do about a so great journey 220 years ago and so beautiful area :) 

and it is only the beginning ... about 6 posts all together are required :P

On 2/10/2019 at 7:27 PM, Mark Abdey said:

This is a joy Jean marc... I'm amazed by the work you have put into these posts; taking the humble flight sim into areas most would never consider..... outstanding!

thank you so much for your kind words Mark - and I am very happy to provide some joy through the post :)

• 1 year later...

Archived