SOMETHING DIFFERENT #7 part 2 : Trinidad & Tobago, Nueva Andalucia (Northern Venezuela) from Cumana to Caracas...in 1799/1800

jean marc

SOMETHING DIFFERENT #7 part 2 : Trinidad & Tobago, Nueva Andalucia (Northern Venezuela) from Cumana to Caracas

For the beginning of the Journey, please see the previous post 

"SOMETHING DIFFERENT #7 : Following von Humboldt & Bonpland in 1799/1801 - Part 1 Spain to Trinidad"
Here is the link :

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/167515-something-different-7-following-von-humboldt-bonpland-in-17991801-part-1-spain-to-trinidad/

#39a

IhGdB3l.jpg

"Tobago Island is a heap of rocks skilfully cultivated. The dazzling whiteness of the rocks stands out from the green of the scattered trees. 
High cylindrical cacti crown the mountain tops and give a peculiar quality to the tropical countryside. 
On leaving the village and climbing the river towards the south we reached a little wood of cacti and then a marveillous place shaded by tamarind trees, brazilettos, bombax and other trees remarkable for their leaves and flowers. Here the soil is rich enough for pasturing, and among the trees there are dairies built of reeds"

#39b

fvFLPBW.jpg

(AVRO 621 Trainer RDAF118 by Nigel Richards ...)

#39c

iDag3sz.jpg

#39d

FtdTG4n.jpg

#39e

NmQFTi5.jpg

#40a

lwEqG8A.jpg

#40b

95s5TPT.jpg

#40c

2YN28go.jpg

#40d

hje6HqD.jpg

#41a

Jp5NCFX.jpg

#41b

ELgl0Uj.jpg

jqP8ykX.jpg

vp3fVLB.jpg

"The intense luminosity of the day, the vivid colors and forms of the vegetation, the variegated plumage of the birds, all bore the grand seal of tropical nature"
#44a

wNhUyK7.jpg

We left the Islands and a strong wind blew, the sea was very rough. We would soon sight land, the coast of America...
#44b

otEUmpZ.jpg

tsKm1pZ.jpg

Pw4KMtF.jpg

g1U8T6Q.jpg

kLOCfQb.jpg

"Our eyes were fixed on groups of coconut trees that bordered the river, whose trunks, which were more than sixty feet high, dominated the landscape. Becalmed sea. The shores are poplulated with pelicans, flamingoes and herons." 

a5W5FMW.jpg

h31fius.jpg

Stay at Cumana & exploration of Araya Peninsula : 16th of July 1799 - 18th of November 1799

#51a

DD0uEQu.jpg

#51b

pwLLWLy.jpg

"The country has nearly one million inhabitants, of whom some 60,000 are slaves. The number ot criollos [white of Spanish origin born in the New World] reach about 210,000 people.
The copper-coloured natives, the indios, form a large part of the population only where Spaniards found complex urban societies already established. The rural Indian population in the cultivated areas outside the missions is insignificant"

#51c

N1lCXGd.jpg

#52a

MvBR1mI.jpg

(Stampe SV-4B GAS ... with the Humboldt Penguin livery !!) 

#52b

HafdnrF.jpg

#52c

DD7htox.jpg

#52d

KxgwejW.jpg

#52e

LgUqYM9.jpg

#53a

h4pMS1N.jpg

#53b

bN30nu1.jpg

#53c

kHfKv0i.jpg

#53d

orUtO97.jpg

#54a

uOy8xvQ.jpg

#54b

uHEwiOq.jpg

zquXIcz.jpg

(Sopwith Camel by CW)

5x6CFQ1.jpg

(Brunner-Winkle by GAS)

FFwnTH7.jpg

H3pQCqW.jpg

81H9x2j.jpg

CqNBucf.jpg

xhERZHo.jpg

1G9BkED.jpg

( Present Venezuela ... in a deep and terrible crisis... )

QBrUXJg.jpg

ALKQS0G.jpg

Crossing from Cumana to La Guaira by sea

"Crossing from Cumana to La Guaira by sea was our plan to stay in Caracas until the end of the rainy season. The boat that took us was one of those that trade between the coasts and the West Indies Islands. The sea was extremely rough. The skill of the indian pilot is such that voyages of 150 leagues in open sea, out of sight of land, are done without charts or compasses as with the ancients, guiding himself by the polar star or the sun."

rMKgLWA.jpg

I0ZjCU7.jpg

IIeE5nO.jpg

STQELMM.jpg

vF7Dtch.jpg

93JIFzd.jpg

seDbKhh.jpg

Caracas

GH0plTR.jpg

Through the land upto Lago Valencia (and next upto Rio Apure in part 3)

"We left Caracas on the 7th of February, on a fresh afternoon, ready to begin our journey to the Rios Apure and Orinoco. Descending the woody slopes of Higuerote, in a basin where several valleys meet, we saw banana trees, potatoes, sugar-cane and coffee plantation". 

UlokBXi.jpg

2KZBhQY.jpg

"The day we arrived in the Aragua valley, three runaway negroes had been captured; newly bought slaves. I dreaded witnessing those punishments that ruin the charm of the countryside wherever there are slaves. Luckily, the blacks were treated humanely"

122QAVj.jpg

(Piper Pacer by LHC)

yvIiCG2.jpg

A5kPt6q.jpg

(Luscombe Phantom by GAS)

KTcVBHy.jpg

cROeYha.jpg

"What lies beyond the plains is unknown country for the inhabitants of Caracas and Cumana. In a land where few travel, people enjoy exaggerating the dangers arising from the climate, animals...and wild men"

iT8i8kd.jpg

SEE PART 3 : THE UNKNOW COUNTRY - through the savannah (Los Llanos) upto Rio Negro ...and the Amazon Jungle

Hoping you will like this post...of this very long journey...

Sorry for so many shots but there were a lot of things to show and to tell :rolleyes: ...

Do not hesitate to leave any comment :)

Oh what to say. Well, first of all, thank you for all the pics showing beautiful females. :wub: Then, all these colonial style drawings which always greatly succeed at evoking past times in the best light. The love and sweat you put into these is visible to everyone. I have a hard time reading the text in the pictures though, perhaps I need new glasses. Nevertheless I read them all, because they are so very interesting! I'm already looking forwar to part 3!

17 hours ago, JMBIII said:

A fantastic journey !  I am eager for the continuation ! :smile:

thank you JMB ... I remember your boat long experience - I guess you had pleasure to see such old sailing ships ? :P nextly other type of boats to go down the rivers through the jungle B)

15 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Jean Marc you sir are a born historian!  I have never seen posts with such history and depth, they're fascinating and blend so well with the scenery.  And I get to learn so much, thank you for all the work you put into these!

engineer and not historian at all :P but I always love the history, birds, travels and so others things...and planes of course :lol:

I am very happy you had pleasure Jack - thank you for your reading - I know it was maybe long :P

15 hours ago, renault said:

This is so well done :)

Thank you again Renault...normally it should be shorter but I did not resist to add some screenshots about Trinidad and Tobago (von Humboldt is not very long about these islands...usually it is the opposite he is too long in its description and it is hard to summarize in a few words :lol:)

13 hours ago, Captain Lars said:

thank you for all the pics showing beautiful females:wub:

you will be happy in the next post : I have put a lot of wonderful pictures about native people ... and by a strange hazard there are more female portraits :P

all these colonial style drawings which always greatly succeed at evoking past times in the best light

indeed I was very glad to find such beautiful paintings on the net. Happy you liked too :)

I have a hard time reading the text in the pictures though, perhaps I need new glasses. Nevertheless I read them all, because they are so very interesting!

yes some letters are too small I noticed that only when it was on the post - I saw my screenshots on fullscreen 1960x1060 and I did not think that the shot is reduced in the post :rolleyes:. Thank you for your effort and I am very glad of your interest, Lars :)

Astounding Jean Marc, absolutely astounding, you Sir have "engineered" a "historical" document in this post of pictures and narrative!  I cannot imagine the amount of time and effort that went into this project and then to share it with the forum is outstanding on your part! :D:lol::wub:  Thanks!

14 hours ago, Wakashi said:

absolutely astounding, you Sir have "engineered" a "historical" document in this post of pictures and narrative! 

thank you for your very kind words Roger - it is very encouraging :)

14 hours ago, BradB said:

Wonderful post Jean Marc . :):)

very  glad you liked John 

On 11 février 2019 at 8:35 PM, Stillwater said:

Outstanding tours, shots, picture combos and narration, obviously. Great work, Jean Marc!

Many thanks Gerold ...

Did you notice the 5DM note with AvH at the 1st part #37 - did you ever see one in Germany ? 

20 hours ago, jean marc said:

Did you notice the 5DM note with AvH at the 1st part #37 - did you ever see one in Germany ?

No I never saw one of these notes in real life... it is DDR-Mark, from the part of Germany I only visited after the wall fell. Reminder of these really dark times of cold war.

On 13 février 2019 at 8:18 PM, VH-KDK said:

An epic post Jean Marc and so enjoyable to read through.

I am very glad you had pleasure to read it Martyn... and despite the small letter size on some pictures :rolleyes:

On 13 février 2019 at 8:18 PM, VH-KDK said:

SO many excellent thumbnails of the tropical scenery and it's inhabitants

... and about the jungle soon O0 :)

Archived