The Old Coots Club

Very bitter Fizelle.  You should become a Blue Badge Holder and get a disabled badge.  We can psrk virtually wherever we like!:D

John

5 minutes ago, JohnY said:

Very bitter Fizelle.  You should become a Blue Badge Holder and get a disabled badge.  We can psrk virtually wherever we like!:D

John

Already have one! To be even more bitter, some town car parks here are now charging blue badge holders for parking - used to be free mostly! However in Skipton recently, I was pleased to see the Council gave disabled badge holders an extra hour free parking, once the original high charge has been paid. At least it's free parking in all the stations round my part of the world!

• 1 month later...

So what other freebies come with just being old? Parking stickers for us who are slowed up. Here in the USA, the Dennys Restaurant chain gives a 15% discount, as do a number of other businesses. Sometimes preferential boarding at the aircraft gate. Some senior housing options. Others?

Nothing much here.  Not that most of us need anything.  We get our state old age pensions and if we worked at our company's for 25 years, a decent pension from them usually follows.  Of course, the whole Country gets free health, so one way or another, we a pretty well looked after.

• Like 1

Yes.  Sorry I was a contentious contributor Nick.  I just get stirred up by some things.

John

Edited by JohnY
improved wording

Watched the royal wedding yesterday with my wife of 63 years and thought;  'Wouldn't mind doing all this again myself'.

John

Gentlepersons:  I have posted on the appropriate site a request regarding settings to minimise the bloody blurries.  If any of you with good running can help, I look forward to reading your recommendations on the other thread.  Mushy thanks. But don't suggest changing complex files, I am scared of that, but I will alter the cfg as well as the in-game and nvidia settings.

'John, you had a royal wedding?'

Yes Roger.  In my Mum's house in East London.  We had a right royal feast and many of our neighbors and friends came.  Luckily, we had weather like Andrew and Meghan did so we could all pile out into the garden  My wife's younger brother managed to come from Fontenbeou, near Paris where he was doing his National Service.....lucky b....err... chap.   Then we went off to  a bed and breakfast in Devon for a few days honeymoon.  

That's what I would do all again.

John

Macca.  I thought blurries were due to Anisotropic settings being too low.   Mind you, vertical poles and stuff like that are a 'blinking' nightmare no matter what you do.

John, good memory! My wife and I got married in the school's student union building and went out for pizza afterwards.Honeymoon was at the New Jersey shore during a blizzard that closed everything, including grocery stores and restaurants. We had crackers and cheese for two days. Wouldn't change a minute of it. But yours sound nicer  ^_^

Maybe Rodger, but you two had adventure.  So its nice you don't knock it.  And, you must understand Spokane, Washington sounds glamorous to us Brits.  In fact most of the U.S. is glamorous to us, well my wife and I anyway.  Especally, as our daughter and nieces have to travel to America and Canada on business and can often work in a few days holiday.

Right, I want to set up my next flight before lunch.  It'll be from LEMG Malaga to somewhere further along the Spanish coast or maybe just edging into Southern France.  I've already been up and down and across so now I'm gradually flying around the edges of the whole of Western Europe.

All the best to you all.  Hope you've solved your problem now Macca.

John

Be joining the you Octogenerians in May - seems like it's taken a long time.  Interesting life - born in Scotland - US in '53.  USAF in Alaska then 40 years up there.  Four planes, lots of flying.   ATC - strike in '81 - NWS then retirement.  Florida????? now Washington.  Life is good.

Update - officially 80 feels a lot like 79.

Edited by olderndirt

Thanks Roger. And you mate. 

Well, of course I can only speak for myself dexthom and olderndirt but from where I'm sitting 85 is pretty much like 84, 83, 82 and, oh no.  Then I had to stop playing golf.  It got embarrassing when because I had nothing left on the 15th or thereabouts my partners had to call the Pro's shop to get them to come out and collect me in a trolley!  They would dump me in the clubhouse, put a glass of water in my hands and send for my wife to come and collect me.

She was not best pleased, especially having had to do that a couple of times.   So, I gave the Pro's all my kit and told them to give it to a promising left handed Junior.

Now, as I'm not allowed to paint in our apartment (due to the smell of oil paint and it associated products) and writing because I have lost the ability to think of a plot,  I thoroughly enjoy flying around various places in the world of flight simulation and my first and oldest past-time, reading.  Thank goodness for Amazon and Kindle!

And now, I'm a garulous old, err,  man?

But I am nosy, so I would like to hear more of you lots lives.

John

John 

From where I'm sitting you sound like your plugs are firing on all cylinders.  I'm just tickled to have made it this far..  As a youngster in Scotland, I recall both great-grandparents on my paternal side lived into their nineties so there's a bit of longevity in there somewhere.  Never did get into the old and ancient game of golf - it demands perfection and I can do that only  a few times a year :).   My step-dad was a low handicapper but he just played with his buddies - 6 am tee and home for breakfast.

Edited by olderndirt

Can't you sleep Olderndirt?  Sending entries at at 02.28 am.  Blimey!  Why aren't you in the land of nod at that time?  You'll never last the course if you don't get your head down.

You've certainly had an event filled life.  And moved around quite a bit from what you write.

Old age does have its moments doesn't it?   We now live in a smallish two bedroom apartment overlooking the sea and we're happy here but I do wish I didn't keep on ending up going into a room I had no intention of going to!   And then...when I eventually get into the room I intended to go to in the first place, I can't bloody well remember why I went in there anyway!  Good job we don't have stairs.  I'd never be able to get off 'em :rollmyeyes:

John

11 hours ago, JohnY said:

Can't you sleep Olderndirt?  Sending entries at at 02.28 am.  Blimey!  Why aren't you in the land of nod at that time?  You'll never last the course if you don't get your head down.

You've certainly had an event filled life.  And moved around quite a bit from what you write.

Old age does have its moments doesn't it?   We now live in a smallish two bedroom apartment overlooking the sea and we're happy here but I do wish I didn't keep on ending up going into a room I had no intention of going to!   And then...when I eventually get into the room I intended to go to in the first place, I can't bloody well remember why I went in there anyway!  Good job we don't have stairs.  I'd never be able to get off 'em :rollmyeyes:

John

At our age, any thought or idea needs to be recorded before it flies away.  FYI I'm on Pacific Daylight time - 8 hours earlier than you people on the Greenwich (0) meridian.

Sorry.  I assumed, wrongly, that Rochester, WA was  a town in Washington, USA! 

Incidentally, I don't actually think we're ever on GMT in Britain these days.  We either have summer time or winter time and there's an hour adjustment every six months or so.   I suppose its one of the many ways for the government to keep us all confused about everything. 

Thank goodness we live here though.  In some other Countries I would probably end up in jail for that comment.

'I thought I was getting that demmi thing'

What on earth is that Terry?

John

Hello John,

GMT, UTC and Zulu time are all the same time.

GMT does not change, we move one hour away from it in summer and back to it in winter.

To add to the confusion, apparently, UTC stands for Coordinated Universal Time,

I suppose that must mean that GMT stands for Time Greenwich Mean.:rolleyes:

It does Nick, and UTC which is for all intents and purposes the same as Greenwich Mean Time is I believe the official form used for aviation. The English, of course, deemed that the 0 meridian ran through Greenwich and from this time was fixed.   Being fixed, daylight savings time and any other variants have no effect.  It all started back in the old sailing days, when fixing longitude was very difficult because of the lack of accurate time keeping.  At midday every day at Greenwich Naval Depot a gun fired, and a ball on a flagpole was dropped and all ships within range reset their sandglasses and time pieces.  The story of the first really accurate timepieces can be found in a book rightly titled Longititude.  Aviation after the war moved into IRS although celestial navigation was still used into the Constellation days.  Now atomic clocks and GPS have made us much more accurate and safer.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the explanation Nick.  And you cracked a joke....sort of.   Is that a first?   ;)

That brings me back Ian.  For a time when they got back to England, my Father in Law was employed by the Greenwhich Naval Museum and at mid-day all the visitors in the museum jumped and ducked when that damn gun went off.

Too close to the end of the war, and it was still clear in people's memories I suppose.

John

7 hours ago, JohnY said:

Sorry.  I assumed, wrongly, that Rochester, WA was  a town in Washington, USA! 

Incidentally, I don't actually think we're ever on GMT in Britain these days.  We either have summer time or winter time and there's an hour adjustment every six months or so.   I suppose its one of the many ways for the government to keep us all confused about everything. 

Thank goodness we live here though.  In some other Countries I would probably end up in jail for that comment.

'I thought I was getting that demmi thing'

What on earth is that Terry?

John

You're correct John - my Rochester is in Washington State which is on PST (Pacific Standard - daylight in the summer - Time).  The continental US is divided into 4 time zones - Eastern, Central, Mountain and Pacific which includes Alaska.  Hawaii has its own zone - HST and is 11 hours from good old England.

Damn.  I thought you were on to a good thing Olderndirt.;)

John

Edited by JohnY
name

Miss Moore was definitely a 'keeper' but my best friend and I are 22 days from 56 years of maritalness.   Back in '62 I was a government employee at Cold Bay, AK - as was her Dad.  She came home from college in Anchorage for Xmas vacation and magic struck.  We were married in a world war two quonset (Fort Randall for the curious) hut by the magistrate's husband - his day job was postmaster but he did a great job.

6 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Miss Moore was definitely a 'keeper' but my best friend and I are 22 days from 56 years of maritalness.   Back in '62 I was a government employee at Cold Bay, AK - as was her Dad.  She came home from college in Anchorage for Xmas vacation and magic struck.  We were married in a world war two quonset (Fort Randall for the curious) hut by the magistrate's husband - his day job was postmaster but he did a great job.

Nice to reflect on marriage sometimes. My first wife would say to me (in the days of early flight sim), "I wish you'd stop playing those silly games and do some jobs around the house". While my current wife says "Oh that's lovely scenery, we'll have to go there!"

Well done ORBX. You made a girl very happy, which means a nice quiet and peaceful life for me!

So what other freebies come with just being old?

Just remembered what else you get from being old.  Well, what I get satisfaction from is being able to call a spade a spade and the ability to ignore people I don't like.  Couldn't do that while I was working.  And we did have, err, some I wouldn't have passed the time of day with if I could avoid it.

I should explain I worked as Property Manager for UK branch of an international hair cosmetic manufacturer.  We had a massive four storey office and several distribution warehouses and hairdressing tuition and demonstration studios throughout the UK.  And believe me, did we have some shall we say personalities.  Often it was difficult to know what gender they were! 

Difficult.

John