The Old Coots Club

8 hours ago, olderndirt said:

There's a little magnet thingy on my reefer says - "If you canna see the hills, it's raining.  If you can see the hills, it's going to rain".  Scottish but fairly universal.

Reefer? Holy smokes, I'm gone man, just gone.. O0

• Haha 1

Come this November I'll mark my 78th.  God willin' n' the creek don't rise.

Nice to know there's a nice quiet corner of the internet!

Should note that I mostly fly a DC-3 and I do a bit of ATC on VATSIM.

Edited by Quig40
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Quig40 said:

Come this November I'll mark my 78th.  God willin' n' the creek don't rise.

Nice to know there's a nice quiet corner of the internet!

Should note that I mostly fly a DC-3 and I do a bit of ATC on VATSIM.

Welcome to the Coots! Glad to have a Gooney driver with us. :)

Why is it that there are no coots anywhere than in the British Empire?

I exist here in your former colony, am 84, and don't even consider myself old.....much less  brag about it.

Our healthcare system for geriatrics here is simple.....you get old, you die.....end of story.

The second law of thermodynamics ,and consequently the resulting entropy, is supreme.

Room temperature for the entire Universe applies even for the British Empire and its remaining colony.

Face it and relax.     :banghead::banghead:

• Haha 1

You know Lawrence I sometimes don't know what the hell you're talking about.  What's worse is I'm not always sure you do either!  Can I have a translator please someone!:rollmyeyes:  You know, something like, 'What was that Horace said'?

John

Edited by JohnY
spelling

35 minutes ago, JohnY said:

You know Lawrence I sometimes don't know what the hell you're talking about.  What's worse is I'm not always sure you do either!  Can I have a translator please someone!:rollmyeyes:  You know, something like, 'What was that Horace said'?

John

You sound upset, John.

What do you need translated?    :wub:

I'm not upset mate. Sorry if I came over like that.  I just don't understand this; ' The second law of thermodynamics ,and consequently the resulting entropy, is supreme'.

Any chance of a translation?

John

• Like 1

Simply put, "Time's arrow only points one way; everything runs down (sorry, no perpetual motion), including us.  Shucks!  I thought I'd just loose 30 years my problems would be solved!  

9 hours ago, JohnY said:

I'm not upset mate. Sorry if I came over like that.  I just don't understand this; ' The second law of thermodynamics ,and consequently the resulting entropy, is supreme'.

Any chance of a translation?

John

(Sorry, my comment should be AFTER the quote, so put it here).

Ken

The second law of thermodynamics states that the total entropy of an isolated system can never decrease over time. The total entropy can remain constant in ideal cases where the system is in a steady state (equilibrium), or is undergoing a reversible process.

• Confused 1

Its all above my head!   I suppose it means we're all getting older and there's no going back.   That's fine with me.   I can honestly say the last ten to fifteen years have probably been the most settled and happiest we've had.  Long may it continue.

John

• Like 1

All this talk of Thermo-watsits etc makes me remember my old maths teacher who had two immortal sayings:

If you use the quadratic formula all the time to solve quadratic equations it's like getting the Air Force to shoot down a fly; and,

An erg is the amount of energy a fly uses to do a push-up

Much later in life I had a hard time trying to get a class to understand the difference between mass and weight. Mind you, that was in the context of explaining Prof Einstein's General Theory of Relativity so I cut them a little slack!

At my old Grammar School, the teachers were more interested in getting an excuse to clout you round the head.  I got a load of those!

But never from my English teacher.  We enjoyed our lessons together and laughed and joked all the way through them and because of that, the class excelled too.

Some went on to become teachers themselves and others joined the professions.  No question of university for me, so I got a job as a clerk in the city (London) until National Service in the army for two years.

John

On 9/7/2018 at 2:56 AM, Fizzelle said:

All this talk of Thermo-watsits etc makes me remember my old maths teacher who had two immortal sayings:

If you use the quadratic formula all the time to solve quadratic equations it's like getting the Air Force to shoot down a fly; and,

An erg is the amount of energy a fly uses to do a push-up

Much later in life I had a hard time trying to get a class to understand the difference between mass and weight. Mind you, that was in the context of explaining Prof Einstein's General Theory of Relativity so I cut them a little slack!

Thought mass was more of a religion thing :).

On 9/7/2018 at 3:58 AM, JohnY said:

At my old Grammar School, the teachers were more interested in getting an excuse to clout you round the head.  I got a load of those!

But never from my English teacher.  We enjoyed our lessons together and laughed and joked all the way through them and because of that, the class excelled too.

Some went on to become teachers themselves and others joined the professions.  No question of university for me, so I got a job as a clerk in the city (London) until National Service in the army for two years.

John

I was just completing third year at secondary school - then leaving cert and into an apprentice program eventually National Service.  As it was, coming to America made me a junior (third year of four) in High School (youngest) and then on to college.  

"Room temperature for the entire Universe applies even for the British Empire and its remaining colony". Hey Lawrence, what's is it's remaining colony?

And, what is an entropy? Reminds me of when God told Noah to build an Ark 20 cubits by 20 cubits (or thereabouts) and Noah replied yes Lord.....but what's a Cubit?

Edited by Bassman

Food for thought. If you've never thought of these things you have missed much of life:

What is dark matter?

What is dark energy?

How were the heavy elements from iron to uranium made?

Do neutrinos have mass?

Where do ultrahigh-energy particles come from?

Is a new theory of light and matter needed to explain what happens at very high energies and temperatures?

Are there new states of matter at ultrahigh temperatures and densities?

Are protons unstable?

What is gravity?

Are there additional dimensions?

How did the universe begin?

How Did We Get Here?

How will the universe end?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JohnY said:

:huh:That's above my salary grade W2DR.  Frankly, life's too short so I try not to think of such things. 

John

Glad I could help out here.

Probably a good idea John.  This stuff gives me headaches, too.

Next month we'll try Quantum theory and address the enigmas of what the smallest particle possible is composed of and what was there before the "big bang."

Once we lock those up we can go on to Shrodenger's cat and how it can be both alive and dead at the same time without disturbing the current theories.

Perplexing.....but since we don't have problems with ORBX products...… we're free to move afield.

I'm still working on the problem of doing an eight point slow roll with a T-6G in a two dimensional simulator.

And remaining alive.

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 7:23 PM, W2DR said:

What is dark matter?

What is dark energy?

How were the heavy elements from iron to uranium made?

Do neutrinos have mass?

Where do ultrahigh-energy particles come from?

Is a new theory of light and matter needed to explain what happens at very high energies and temperatures?

Are there new states of matter at ultrahigh temperatures and densities?

Are protons unstable?

What is gravity?

Are there additional dimensions?

How did the universe begin?

How Did We Get Here?

How will the universe end?

I always thought the answer to all those questions was 42. (Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything)